Fable - Ask How High We Go In The Dark

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Izara

Mouse Hunter
Character Biography
Link
The Falwood was everything everyone always said it was. Verdant and full of life. A sea of green as far as the eye could see. Ferns and moss among the trees, large white or red mushrooms growing between roots far older than Izara herself. It was the exact opposite of home, or what she used to call home back in Amol-Kalit. A desert of golden sand and the bluest skies one would ever see. Never a cloud in the sky. The sun was bright and warm as it was imposing and terrifying.

The sun that caressed Izzy’s dark skin was nothing like the rays the desert produced. It was soft, gentle— like a kiss. It suited this heavily forested area, and Izzy was certain that everyone she met within the Falwood would be just like the sun overhead. Gentle, soft, and unsuspecting. The perfect targets that had valuable things that needed to be stolen! Or rather, a locked up temple that was begging someone to explore.

Her black ears twitched in anticipation as she found the first little village within the Falwood. The elves were, as expected, rather welcoming to Izara. Perhaps because she wasn’t completely human, and of course, she made sure to keep hidden that DJ was from a little racist backwater city called Vel Ehn, A.K.A Vel Racist. The deeper they went into the woods however, the less friendly the elves tended to be. Regardless, Izara managed to gather the information she needed, the one little piece of info Crowlin was unable to discover— which was because the woman was afraid of the outside world and actually speaking to others.

All Crowlin could tell Izara was that there was a particular weapon in the Falwood, in a temple deemed inaccessible and lost to human time. The elves would know the story of the Temple of Roses, protected for centuries by believers of beauty. And those who love roses must be prepared to cry when they are cut by thorns.

DJ, in here.” Izara told her buddy, the only one willing to traverse the Falwood practically without much direction. The letai female’s tail was twitching, much like her ears as she entered into another inn, named Syltumil Lodge. What did Syltumil mean? Who knew? Izzy couldn’t even write her own name much less figure out elvish! Regardless, she was hopeful that here, she could place the last pieces together and tomorrow, she could go out and go to the Temple of Roses. After all, there was a long-lost weapon just dying for her to find and resell.

Besides, Izzy was no superb archer. And why on Arethil would she want a bundle of long pointy roses that turned the pierced into a body of roses? But Izzy knew, there was someone who would want such a thing, a magical item so deadly and heavily coveted that they would pay any amount of gold to have it. It was the gold that Izzy wanted, after all, she needed another pair of toenail clippers. Her other five pairs just weren’t cutting it anymore.

Finding an empty table at the inn, Izzy made a show of sitting down, waving over a young elvish boy who worked there. For now, it was time to blend in with the locals and gather some food and drink.

Dieder J Strietz Eris Wisteria

Falwood. Not exactly the place he would pick to go but, well, when Izzy asked how could he say no? So long as the score was good. Least, that's what he would say aloud.

Truth of it was, he hated being even this close to ol' Vel Racist. And while his eyes showed it, narrowed and heavy browed, his lips wore his ever-present smile. Even when the elvish folk glared at him with their bows in hand. Least they didn't start knockin arrows. He figured it was probably best to let Izzy do the talkin. Most the walkin too. She had a way of finding her way around, he had found.

Into Syltumil they slinked, and he smirked as Izzy's ears twitched.
"Cozy little spot," he said as he looked about.

There was one old elf who looked to be doing his damnedest to look like a mushroom. Sat by the window, his face all droopy and pale, and a bulbous nose held up some round spectacles. A wide floppy hat, his mushroom's cap. The old elf looked up, his eyes widening some at the site of the femme feline and the lanky human beside her.

Deider gave him a nod of the head, and followed Izzy to the table, watched her do what she did with a softer gaze.
"My, you do make an entrance, don't ya Iz?" He said warmly as he eased down on the stool beside her. His eyes scanned the room, and he hmphed as his smile curled up just a fraction more. "Looks like they can smell the old blood in me," he said in a whispered tone. "Maybe best if we think of a cover st-"

"And what will you two be having today?!" the young elvish boy said too loudly. His voice nasally, he looked nervous.

"Got any house specials?" Dieder asked coolly.

"Got a squab stew, that comes with a side of bread!"

Dieder nod. "That sounds good,"

"And for the lady??"

Eris Wisteria Izara

VdHsGUs.png

At first glance, Eris didn't look like someone who would belong in a land like Falwood and amongst the elves. A simple stranger would assume she was just a human, and everyone knows how elves are with humans.

But that wasn't the case with Eris. Falwood has been her home since the very moment she was brought into this world. And the elves had welcomed her in as family, after that dreadful fire that stole her own.

They were also aware that Eris wasn't just an ordinary human.

A song began by the bar of the Syltumil Lodge, as a tipsy bard decided that he was in the mood to sing about his tales. A few tables down to their right settled a blonde elf and a red haired lass. The blonde elf inclined his head closer to her as his voice chimed with laughter. From afar, it seemed as if they were just having a delightful discussion. Not many would suspect the passing of an antique as the lass playfully nudged the blonde elf.

The elf grinned with satisfaction before taking a drink from his cup. His hand found the red-head woman's sash and slipped something within. It was a dagger and sheath wrapped in a bundle of leather. A simple dagger with a handle carved from the antler of an enchanted elk.

After business was complete and the exchange was made, the blonde elf rose from the table and made his way to the bar. Leaving the woman to her tea as her golden eyes wandered over to the table nearby. She took a drink while wondering silently to herself, about whether or not the two were familiar. Perhaps the woman with the black ears was. . but the man accompanying her was unlikely to be. Maybe she was unfamiliar with both ~

VdHsGUs.png

Izara | Dieder J Strietz

Was this elf boy trying to be louder than Izzy? Impossible. But Izzy would accept his challenge.

YOU HAVE ANYTHING WITH FISH IN IT?!” She shouted back to the poor elven server, who looked over at the letai with fear in his evergreen eyes. Even the tipsy bard hushed, watching the scene as the server dropped his octave a couple of levels. He shook his head, began stammering something something vegetarian something something blah blah blah no fish. Izzy took a moment, letting his words hang in the air before taking a deep breath. “SOMETHING STRONG TO DRINK THEN! With a frazzled nod of his cute little head, the elf took off, practically running away from Izzy and Dieder.

With a smug grin, Izzy swung her head back over to look straight at Dieder, as proud as a cat who had pounced and captured a toy mouse.

Making an entrance is important, DJ,” Izzy said, wagging a finger at him. “And I think they’re putting mushrooms in your stew. All this vegetarian crap nowadays,” the letai gave a dismissive wave of her hand, “like, what else are animals for? For pets? I’ve never looked at a fish and gone, oh how cute, I’m gonna name you Miso and we’ll be best friends. No! Everytime I saw a fish I thought about how delicious it’ll taste in my miso soup!” The bard coughed, loudly, giving Izzy a pointed look before continuing their story. Surprisingly, Izzy did feel a bit of shame. Wasn’t nice to interrupt a story after all.

The server returned, bringing the food and the drink. Izzy was surprised to see that she had been given a cup of coffee. Of course the elf would mistake her common tongue ‘strong’ as not alcoholic but instead robust in flavor. Well, perhaps she should have learned some elvish before coming here. Oh well. She took a sip, sputtering it out back into the cup.

Yuck.” Izzy muttered, looking for some sugar. There was none on their table but… on the one beside them there was! “Miss, you need that sugar? Can I have it? Or… some. Whatever you wanna part with, really. Think I’ve scared off the lil server boy. Don’t know why.” Izzy asked, coming over to Eris and holding out her cup of black coffee.

"Duly noted, big cat," he bowed his head to her, nodding attentively as she went on. "Could be," he said about the mushrooms, and he shrugged easily regarding the animals, and when the bard coughed and her pronouncement came to an end, Dj chuckled, warm between them. "Thanks for the info Iz," he said as he nodded and raised an apologetic hand to the bard. "I'll be sure to raise a complaint if I spot any... fungus among us,"

She sure had a way of things. Here he was, all, nervous. And now? Well, he just enjoyed the bit of music. The story as nice too. Something about flowers in bloom, and how they looked like stars beneath the sister moons' glow. When the food came, Dieder was surprsised to see more mushroom than squab.

"Hey uh, excuse me," the elf boy was already gone, and Dj rubbed his chin. "Rotten luck, that," he shrugged, and went to eat his soup. A spoonful of hot broth, with a morsel of mushroom. The mushrooms actually weren't so bad. His eyes glanced over to Izara. "How's the-"

She spat it all back out in a spray, got up and asked the young lady who sat not too far from their table for sugar. Have I seen her somewhere? The Allirian rogue wondered. Nah, couldn't be. He just went back to eating his soup and saw the small little tin on the table. It read Sugar.

Eris Wisteria Izara

1667676870473.png

A few sugar cubes fell into her cup as Eris did well to add a little more sweetness to her tea. Pulling her sash onto her lap as she quietly stirred the contents of both sugar and herbal essence.

Her assignment with the blonde elf was finished, and Eris no longer had any reasons to linger around, but she dared to anyway.

A hush creeped through the tavern as the bard grew silent. Unable to captivate with his songful story due to the interruption that followed from the table of two.

Eris fell laxed against the back of her chair, kicking up one of her boots to rest it against the edge of the other chair that sat to her left. She was curious about this new atmosphere that seemed to unfold within the tavern. Perhaps she will stick around just a little longer? Sometimes a fox couldn't help but feed into their growing curiosity~

"I don't mind in the slightest," Eris responded to the Letai in honesty, while nudging the sugar towards her. "Though I hope you don't mind me asking. What brings you two here?" Her tone matched her curiosity to avoid sounding rude. Eris dropped her boot from the chair as she leaned forward, placing her elbows onto the table as she laced her fingers together. A wiseful smirk curved along the edge of her lips as the Kitsune waited for the answer, as the bard went back to singing his song.

1667676707708.png

Her ears twitched in gratitude as the pretty red head gave up her bit of sugar. Plopping down at Eris’ table, Izzy began to pile spoonfuls into her coffee, taking a sip every now and then.

Not at all! It’s not a secret! Or…” Izzy paused. Was this a secret? Did they want to keep the loot all to themselves? Her blue eyes took in Eris. Pretty, very pretty, like one of those fancy statues in Elbion or Oban. With a shrug, she continued on, after all, it’s not like this little pretty thing was up for adventurer stuff, right? “There’s treasure to be found near these parts! My partner and I—“ she turned, jabbing a thumb over at DJ and gesturing for him to join them, “Dieder, we’re gonna nab it and sell it.

A lie. Izzy hardly ever could part with the treasures she found. But this time, well, she wasn’t the best archer. Neither was DJ. It wasn’t their thing. But elves? Elves loved that bow and arrow stuff. Drooled all over it like it was better than ful medames with crispy fried fish on the side and maybe a bit of mulukhiyah— and nothing was better than her comfort food.

She blinked. She was getting off on a food tangent. She took a sip of coffee— having used up all the sugar— and wrinkled her nose. Still tasted like dirt. Oh well. Beggars couldn’t be choosers, and yes, at this point Izzy could consider herself a bit of a beggar.

You like shooting arrows? If you got the coin we’ll maybe come back and sell it to ya first. Treasure hunter’s honor!” Not that there was any honor within treasure hunters to begin with.

• Haha
Reactions: Dieder J Strietz
Dj raised a hand, all nonchalant like when Izzy jabbed her thumb over at him. "Yo," he said in between spoonfuls of stew, and while he wouldn't really be one to well, spill the beans on all their plans, he had learned some time ago that Iz had a certain mystery about her. A confidence that could not be beat and just sort of, made things happen. He took in another spoonful, and chewed the mushrooms over.

They were really growing on him.

"Could be you could join us, uh..." his eyes glanced up from his stew, and he smiled at the lady. "Didn't quite catch your name, by the way," he said, and blew on another full spoonful so hard his mushroom plopped right back into the bowl of stew. Dj made a little sound in his throat, defeated, as he watched the morsel plop back into dark colored liquid.

Eris Wisteria Izara

• Wonder
Reactions: Everleigh Ebersol