Open Chronicles Honing Steel

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Maxine Steelborne

Grand Master of The Steel Legion
Character Biography
Link
“What was that out there!” An angry female voice was rising above the rest in the mess hall.

“What do you mean..” a male voice responded.

“You know damn well what I mean! You breached the attack plan to go off on your own! If you would have died out flank would have been completely open! We-“

“ha!” The voice retorted. “”If” I had died. I see that I’m still standing and the enemy isn’t. You and everyone else all camehad been waiting outside the mess to discuss business with Irvard.. but it seemed young warriors would be young warriors. He would understand. She shoved open the doors of the mess hall.

The chatter dieing immeadietly as everyone there rose to attention. All except the brawlers who were still at each others throats and unaware she had entered.

“So. This is what my soldiers do when faced with a dispute.” She said. Her voice a cold blade cutting through the butter of their brawl as the rolling young warriors finally came to a stop at her feet.

Both freezing at the realization of how deeply into horse dung they had just dove head first into. Breaking apart and both hastily hoping to attention. “Sorry ma’am. But he-“ “apologies captain but she-“ they both began at once glaring daggers at each other.

Maxine coughed drawing their eyes in unison.
“In days past a brawl with a brother or sister in the mess would cost you a nose And a fine of the next contracts share.” She said coldly.

“But that was days past. So I will let you choose. A finger or an ear. Either along with the fine.” She spat out. The chill in her words cooling the room. Both warriors nodded and leaned forward. “Oh?” Maxine said seemingly surprised by the action. “Am I to do it?” She said with a slight sinister undertone to the mock surprise. “Your both so eager to spill the blood of your brothers and sisters. Spill your own.” She said handing them each a knife....

“No one is leaving until I have a finger or an ear in my hand.” She said through grit teeth.

Abandoning the almost pleasant charade her mock surprise had begun to support.

Soon the doors to the mess hall creeped open. The rank and file filtered out.
Finally only the three remained.

“Your punishment has been administered. You bear no marks against you. You are brothers and sisters of the steel. We are blood. No more of this fighting.” She said her eyes softening now that there wasn’t a rabble of underlings to put on a show for. The pain in the eyes of both her soldiers only further warmed her icy heart.

“To be clear you were both punished for fighting. In the mess hall during eating hours in the presence of an officer. If you have disputes our sparring rings are more than ample to accommodate your vengeful impulses. Am I clear?” She asked. Her tone remaining warm but a slight edge to the end. She didn’t not want to have a conversation like this again.

They both nodded in silent unison.

The woman clutching her hand and the man clutching a bandaged ear.

“Good..Now be off to your bunks..Dissmissed.” She said with a dismissive wave. Watching them hurry off as she finally sat down.

Her usual neat appearance was slightly..Off..Her usual neat pony tail was coming undone, and her neat gown seemed a bit less clean than “perfect.” Something was troubling her. She pulled on her glasses to look at a message sent to her by a guild chapter in the south.

More recruitment problems..bandit raids..contracts both completed and yet to be. She missed the days of adventure and battle. Now she understood why all the higher ups had always been so hateful. She hated being stuck in this guild hall..Her train of thought derailed at the sound of footsteps. Heavy foot steps.

“Ah..Old friend. Bringing me good news from our brothers in the north I hope?” She asked. Pulling herself from her own depression and plastering on a pleasant face. Of course he wouldn’t have good news. No good news came from dealing with their brothers and sisters to the north.

She straightened her hair

He was a dear friend, but still a subordinate. It would not do to look as tired or down trodden as she felt in front of him. Besides..while she wanted to be able to tell him he could rest..She had another task to ask of him.

She had been waiting for a job for a particular soldier and one had finally come to her attention that would fit perfectly and she would need his help.

“Ah..Old friend. Bringing me good news from our brothers in the north I hope?” She asked. Pulling herself from her own depression and plastering on a pleasant face. Of course he wouldn’t have good news. No good news came from dealing with their brothers and sisters to the north.

She straightened her hair

He was a dear friend, but still a subordinate. It would not do to look as tired or down trodden as she felt in front of him. Besides..while she wanted to be able to tell him he could rest..She had another task to ask of him.

She had been waiting for a job for a particular soldier and one had finally come to her attention that would fit perfectly and she would need his help.

Sir Irvard the Titan. A man of huge build and lifelong training in combat. He was built for war, and basically only war. He was a brute but he was no imbecile, nor was he the simply bash-and-whacker barbaric brawler, but rather a very well trained and experienced war machine. He was no strategist, but common sense and understanding of basic tactics was firmly in his mind. In simpler words, he was made for this profession.

He had left his greatsword with his horse, Spitfire, and carried with him two other swords, a buckler and a rondelle dagger. The secondary weapon was a principe longsword, the tertiary was your typical knightly arming sword with a buckler shield to accompany it, and lastly the rondelle dagger, a steel spike with a handle described it fairly well, designed for use against armor.

He strode through the halls of the castle, or rather a fortress as it was for an organization not a private residence with fortifications, and he did so with purpose, the cut front of his red half-surcoat let the two flaps to flow behind him like a cape as his sabatons struck the wooden floors of the upper levels on his way to see the Grand Master, Maxine Steelborne. She needed a report from him in person for some reason, he assumed because she also had a task for him.

Things in the north were dire, bandits and organized brigands were impressively dangerous. They had essentially taken over a number of towns and village sites Andy had become a small fief. And with their resources, and impressively smart leaders, they were able to utilize the craftsmen they had captured to make better armor and weapons, and became a far more formidable and respectable force. So Castle Kriegshund, the castle where he was stationed, was under some heavy opposition. (Will share layout fairly soon.)

But it was a castle, well situated and the bandits didn’t exactly have trebuchets, which even when large, had difficulty destroying castle walls. And castles were designed to do two things, which they were exceptional at accomplishing, those tasks being 1: defend it’s occupants, and 2:kill the enemy. So he wasn’t too worried about Castle Kriegshund falling to the enemy anytime soon.

He stepped into Maxine’s office and he took a knee, placing both hands on the one that remained upright and bowed his head. “Grand Master Maxine.”

He gave his report, explaining what was happening in the north, how it was a problem but definitely not so dire as to be futile to keep fighting. Then asked, “so what I said it you require of me?”

“I see..” She took the report well. Even as her fingers squeezed her quill hard enough for it to snap. She took a deep breath and slammed her fists on the table.

“Those stupid! Wretched! Useless slime bags! Those dregs! Those...” She paused for a moment in her rage to think of another word, and yet could not and resulted in her slamming her hands down again.

“I can’t do this anymore Irvard..These long knights..I miss the road..the battles..” She said with a sigh. Unable to look anywhere but down. Embarrassed by such a display of emotion.

not their way.

If only the higher ups had seen such a show. She would have been tethered to the lash faster than a blink. “I am no leader my friend. If only Grand master Greymond had survived...This place would be in such better hands..” She crossed her arms and sighed.

“And instead the only one to survive that purge in the west...Was a young, stupid lieutenant.. All the grand masters..I was left. What shite luck..” She said bitterly. Before gathering her composure with a deep breath. “Thank you for humoring my unbecoming behavior Sir Irvard..but you are correct. I have a request to make of you.” She began to examine her letters again.

“A small job.” She began. “People have been going missing in a wood around the allirian reach. A few days journey from here. Portal stone would not be too far of an overshot either...It seems like a simple enough task, so I’m sending Melaniphi. She is our best healer, and she’s up for her second class promotion..This contract will be her final trial. You may choose who to accompany you of course. I’m sure she has some ideas but you will be the final judge. I trust your eye far more than others...Keep..Keep her safe Irvard..Please..” Her gaze held his eyes for a moment. “For me..” She said slowly looking back to her letters.

gods above did these blasted things never stop coming in.

“Dismissed.” She said continuing to read. She was suffocating in this place. Even if she refused to show it outwardly.

Melaniphi Syllis
“I see..” She took the report well. Even as her fingers squeezed her quill hard enough for it to snap. She took a deep breath and slammed her fists on the table.

“Those stupid! Wretched! Useless slime bags! Those dregs! Those...” She paused for a moment in her rage to think of another word, and yet could not and resulted in her slamming her hands down again.

“I can’t do this anymore Irvard..These long knights..I miss the road..the battles..” She said with a sigh. Unable to look anywhere but down. Embarrassed by such a display of emotion.

not their way.

If only the higher ups had seen such a show. She would have been tethered to the lash faster than a blink. “I am no leader my friend. If only Grand master Greymond had survived...This place would be in such better hands..” She crossed her arms and sighed.

“And instead the only one to survive that purge in the west...Was a young, stupid lieutenant.. All the grand masters..I was left. What shite luck..” She said bitterly. Before gathering her composure with a deep breath. “Thank you for humoring my unbecoming behavior Sir Irvard..but you are correct. I have a request to make of you.” She began to examine her letters again.

He listened to her rant. And truth be told he did not envy her, in fact he pitied her. He stood from his kneeling position and stood straight, towering over his commander and friend. He removed his helmet so that his face might be seen. "It is no issue at all Grand Master Maxine. And though you may consider yourself unprepared and unfit for the role of Grand Master, I for one, can think of noone better. You don't give yourself enough credit, you are far more a leader than anyone else in the Legions."

Then he listened to her explain his task.

“A small job.” She began. “People have been going missing in a wood around the allirian reach. A few days journey from here. Portal stone would not be too far of an overshot either...It seems like a simple enough task, so I’m sending Melaniphi. She is our best healer, and she’s up for her second class promotion..This contract will be her final trial. You may choose who to accompany you of course. I’m sure she has some ideas but you will be the final judge. I trust your eye far more than others...Keep..Keep her safe Irvard..Please..” Her gaze held his eyes for a moment. “For me..” She said slowly looking back to her letters.

gods above did these blasted things never stop coming in.

“Dismissed.” She said continuing to read. She was suffocating in this place. Even if she refused to show it outwardly.

He put his right fist to his left breast in salute, "I swear by my father's name she'll return alive. Where am I to meet her?"

“If only the other grand masters shared your faith and loyalty old friend..” She said with a sliver of disgust in her tone.

“Alas Gwendolyn and Helena struggle and squabble between themselves in the north and south, and Ronin keeps to himself in the east.. All of their problems become mine and they are not slowing down on the pile up. As the west usually operates..This is our way..” She muttered half heartedly.

“You will meet her at the front gates when your ready. I do believe she is in the library getting some things and the going to the quarter master as well. She’s...high energy..that girl..” Maxine said with a slight smirk.

“I’m almost tempted to join you..” She said a genuine smile threatening to break through the stress and depression that plagued her expression.

“I’m almost tempted to join you..” She said a genuine smile threatening to break through the stress and depression that plagued her expression.

"I think you should." He said sincerely. "It's clear that you need a break from the monotony of quills and inkwells, and self care is just as important as duties. Come with us, those letters will still be here when we get back."

He meant every word of it, on that she could count. He had flaws, his unwavering and up front honesty could almost be considered one of them. So when he spoke, there could be no doubt that it was the truth.

Syvis had been camped outside Alliria, she hadn’t been commissioned in a while and needed to scrimp whatever coin she could. She didn’t neeeed an Inn she just preferred it, but in dire need she could “camp”. Wrapped in a woolen cloak she watched people wander around the thick wood.

She knew the Allir Reach was richer than most, and these “people” meant nothing to her. She conned in the market during the day and evenings were when she decided to find a little extra.

Syvis watched a man walk beneath the tree she was perched in, he looked well enough off. So naturally a great target, especially the air of obliviousness that surrounded him. She swooped down, swinging from branch to branch quietly until she reached the ground.

“What type of dunce walks alone with money in the woods in the evening. He’s asking for this.” She scoffed to herself as she stalked behind him, she doesn’t kill, she’s not a horrible person. She sped up behind the man and unsheathed her elven dagger gently setting in on his throat.

“Hello.” She hissed in his ear. The man tried to turn around and she pressed a little tighter against his jugular. She intended to stay here so naturally he couldn’t see her No looking.” she spat.

“Now..I know you’ve some pretty little coin, I’d just love to have.” She whispered in a tempting voice, while she outstretched her small manicured right hand. The man reached into his pocket and Syvis felt the heavy clunk of coin in her hand. “You have more.” Syvis grunted now drawing a little blood. “I said give me your coin, SO GIVE ME YOUR DAMN COIN!” She screeched angrily getting louder on each word. The man dropped more coin in her hand and she slipped it in her boot satisfied. “Sorry for this, friends still?” She said rapidly while she clunked him in the head with the butt of her dagger.

The heavy set man fell unconscious and she left him laying there, unbeknownst to her she wasn’t the most deadly thing in those woods, and all Syvis was doing was providing people..easily..

• Wonder
Reactions: Maxine Steelborne
“You think so do you?” Maxine said with a jokingly scathing edge to her tone. “Don’t think I haven’t heard about you you scoundrel.” She laughed. It felt good. “But so long as your eyes stay forward my titan friend...” She chuckled again. “I think heeding your council would do me well.” “So we will be off then. It’s decided.” She said feeling an excitement rekindling a fire in her chest the rut she had been in had long sense snuffed out.

“That is..After we get a drink and some food in you. Get you washed up and out of that armor. Your journey must have been far from comfortable. Enjoy some time with your brothers and sisters in the warmth and safety of your home..our home brother...” She said taking his hand and patting it warmly. A smile now refusing to leave her face. Her eyes already burning as they had in the days of old. She released his hand and gave a salute.

“Come now..” She said leading him fron the office to the mess hall. Empty now but still warm.

“I’ll send for Melaniphi. She’s been wanting to pester you since I asked her about this job. You seem to have made an impression on her after your last deployment. Something about arm wrestling an orc tribe leader for passage through his lands. She swears to it.” Maxine said with a smirk and a slightly doubtful eyebrow raised.

“She was only three years with the guild back then. A scout. I doubt you could readily recall, but she’s grown since then..Quite a lot..” Maxine said recollectivly.

“You think so do you?” Maxine said with a jokingly scathing edge to her tone. “Don’t think I haven’t heard about you you scoundrel.” She laughed. It felt good. “But so long as your eyes stay forward my titan friend...” She chuckled again. “I think heeding your council would do me well.” “So we will be off then. It’s decided.” She said feeling an excitement rekindling a fire in her chest the rut she had been in had long sense snuffed out.

He couldn't keep a rumbling laughter from escaping him. He waved his hand to dismiss her concerns, "you needn't worry about that. As tempting as you are I much prefer prey to predators as my bedmates. I've tamed a few predators as you may guess but you seem a little too out of my league."

He wasn't joking either, he wasn't going to try taking something over, and when it came to military or guild matters he was more than happy to follow orders, but he was not, in any universe or time, going to submit to whomever he is bedding. Now He had never done anything of the sort with his sisters in arms, but many a womanly knight had found themselves far more subservient while he was near.

“That is..After we get a drink and some food in you. Get you washed up and out of that armor. Your journey must have been far from comfortable. Enjoy some time with your brothers and sisters in the warmth and safety of your home..our home brother...”

He clasped her hand with his own armoured one in brotherhood (sisterhood? Siblinghood.) In siblinghood. It was indeed good to see her again. "Get from it I'm glad to say. Few things are more comfortable than being in armour on horseback. 'Tis a sensation unlike any other."

He followed her into the mess hall and sat with her, breaking bread with a friend was a great way to finish off a long journey. And she spoke of Melaniphi, and he could recall her though only barely, and they had never spoken before. "I look forward to seeing her in the field."

As Syvis left the unconscious man, she reached into her right boot pulling out the coin she scored, counting it as she walked.

“Perfect..enough for a lovely stay at an inn. Finally, women of my stature should NOT be out here surrounded by bugs and sap. I really need to bathe...and get some better garments. Although trousers are more practical and, well, they fit VERY nicely. Is it wrong that after I mugged a man and left him asleep in the woods all I can think about is myself? No...right?” She thought, as she continued walking through the woods.

“I mean.. This does seem to be the place where I could locate a couple commissioned jobs, and the men out here really do like to hire elven women to be their “date” maybe I should look into that.” She further thought as she snickered to herself.

“So I cut off its damn head. And what do you know? It has one on its tail. So that’s when Jackson looks at me and says..” The door creaked and Melaniphi came in Maxine halted her story. Her expression shifting from that of an old friend reminiscing to that of a stern leader.

“At ease.” she said with a slight wave. Allowing the girl to drop her ridged posture. A simple relaxing of the shoulders and dropping the salute.

Melaniphi still stood like most of her brothers and sisters in the Legion.

Ram rod straight.

Slouchers faced reprimand and repeat offenders had felt the sting of the cane. In some extreme cases even the lash...Melaniphi pushed her glasses up her nose. Her usual staff hung in the holster sewn into her back pack along with her large healing satchel that left every moment she made be accompanied by a slight rattle and clink.

A large Legion seal was emblazoned on the front along with a second smaller emblem of a shield. A single numeral next to it. Healer first class. A combat medic made to shield, heal, and defend. A second class able to reinforce a squad of 6 in contract engagements.

They were separated from the scout ranks and trained very differently from those that would go on to be rank and file. A type of fighting and drilled a mindset designed to be as defensive as possible. All regard given to the good of the unit. No regard given to the healer. This meant it was up to the squad to keep their healer alive at all costs. The loss of a healer was treated as a colossal disgrace to any given party to it.

A third class healer was skilled enough to aid up to two squads of six. Alas that was the old days..Their most skilled healer was a first class...Cleared to cover up to 3 soldiers at most. And to further things she was getting tossed a softball for her promotion. How the legion had fallen.

“Grand M-Master..” Melaniphi said and gave Irvard a salute as well before beaming with a genuine smile. Healers being so drilled in selflessness and tactics to keep up the morale of the squad were often cheery, agreeable types.

“Sir Irvard! A pleasure to see you again. I was just telling the quarter master that we needed a few extra things before our journey. Just a few potions for burns, a few different poison cures. Did you know bandits in the area were passing through have the probability of using 7 to 8 different poisons to try and kill us? And here I am with only 16 different cures! What if none of them account for other possible climate effects the poison the bandits use have on it’s effectiveness?” She said in a blurb that left Maxine so bewildered and utterly dumbstruck she looked like a spooked cat.

“So would you believe it? She told me to shove off! Like being over prepared is a bad thing! So I start to tell her how what she said was logically false when she said-.” “Melaniphi. Would you kindly shut your mouth please child. The air is getting thin.” Maxine said lightly.

“How did you know that?” Melani asked looking at her with quizzical amazement. Maxine blinked. This girl was going to give her an ulcer. Maybe her ink wells and letters weren’t so bad...

“Now.” Maxine barked. The elf shut her mouth instantly. “I know your just dying to talk his ear off. But leave him be. Sit quietly and let him get a measure of you while we talk. You may speak when spoken to. Now sit.” She said recovering her stern expression but her tone was kind.

A hard edge of demanded respect but not with any harshness.

Melaniphi nodded and sat. Pushing her glasses up her nose once more.

Melaniphi's rambling was amusing. He chuckled at Maxine's mentioned of the sir quality offered Melaniphi a hand to shake.

"It's good to see you again Melaniphi. You've grown quite a lot since last we spoke. And traveling heavy isn't a problem in the right circumstances. We're going against bandits. At best they have moderate training, partial armour and mediocre weapons. We should be less worried about what poisons they use, and more worried about what kind of magics they may have up their sleeves. That is by far the biggest threat, but your enthusiasm is golden, and I commend you for valuing preparedness."

• Sip
Reactions: Syvis
(Honestly kinda forgot it was my turn, have no character development left to say. Until y'all arrive there's nothing for me to do. So sorry.)

• Yay
“Do not encourage her.” She said to the Titian with a sigh, but smiled slightly despite maintaining her stern composure. “Thank you sir..” Melaniphi said continuing to sit quietly.

“I’ve decided to accompany you both on this journey.” Maxine said as Melani’s jaw hit the floor. “Your going with us! This is amazing! I thought you quit adventuring after..” She stopped herself at the look she was given. She had forgotten where she was and what she was going to say was for the barracks. “My apologies..” She said after a tense moment and would fall silent as Maxine continued.

“We will take one other. Suggestions?” She said looking to both people. “And it can’t be your little friends Markis or Linkon.. We need someone fresher.” She said with a sigh. “Think on it and speak in the morning. For now I have work to finish if I’m to leave at all.” She said standing and leaving for her office. Melani watched the door close.

“I wonder what made her want to go..” she wondered aloud.

“I wonder what made her want to go..” she wondered aloud.

"She doesn't much enjoy her new role." He said calmly. "She misses the action, and prefers it to pushing a pen. But she's the one best qualified to lead us, and until better candidates show up, she's stuck there, or she leaves us high and dry, which she won't do, she's too steadfast."

He took another swig of beer, his helmet resting on the table beside his plate, now empty. His face was what you'd expect from a soldier, angular and strong with a light goatee and short hair. Well kept but not fussed over.

"Now, who do we take with us?" He thought. "We've got a few newbies that need some experience in the field, at least as far as the records say. So who do you recommend, within the parameters set by our grand master?"

• Sip
“Kina is a grouchy piece of work..but I’ve never seen someone that’s as deadly with a bow as she is...Maxwell is a good brawler but a bit head strong...” Melaniphi said glancing at the records list Maxine had left behind.

She paused pushing her glasses up her nose. “Ok a lot head strong, but he’s brave..” She said with a slight sigh. “Zet is....different, but I wouldn’t want to be his enemy..her enemy? No one really knows..but there’s a hundred gold pieces in it for you if you figure it out.”Melaniphi said with a smirk. “Good luck though. They’re always masked up..hood and everything. Always silent and obeys without hesitation..but..” she paused once more..

“Just..Spooky..” She admitted with a slight shiver at the thought of Zets soft, cold eyes. It was the combination of the two that really made the skin crawl.

Usually one expected the softness with mercy..the cold with and granite hard gaze. Her eyes made you feel as if she felt sorry for you while they helped you pass from one world to the next. No anger, no hatred. Just sadness.. Melaniphi realized she had paused for a longer moment than she intended and blushed.

“Anyway..Those are the names that stood out to me..I’m not personally a fan of any of them..but Maxine said the new crop so orders are orders..” She said with a sigh. Smiling at the knight with a genuine warmth most healers always did.

“Hmm. So far I’d say Kina or Zet. What are Zet’s skills? We have two good fighters already, and you are a healer, so we either need an archer or a combat mage of some kind.” He reasoned.

“So why aren’t you a fan of any of em? You don’t get along?” He asked taking another bite of his food.

“Zet was an assassin before they came to usa few years ago. Served as a scout. After a while we found out their blood line could be traced back to the legion. Here parents were apart of the black steel before the collapse. She uses a type of magic most haven’t seen and those that do can’t make out exactly what kind it is..” Melaniphi said in a hushed tone.

The Black Steel. Elite military police designed to help keep order within the ranks, enforce legion code, track down deserters and protect lieutenants and grand masters in the Legion itself. Separated from the rank and file much like those chosen for combat medics.

They were separated for a darker reason. They were meant to feel companionship with their fellow black steel operatives or the officer they protected over the legion itself as most of the time they would be hunting down or punishing their own brothers and sisters. It wasn’t the most popular position. Like being a villages executioner. No one wanted to do it, but it needed to be done.

“Needless to say they had been among the rank and file too long for the head of the black steel..or what’s left of it at any rate..to accept them so they remained with us. Zet is a great scout and has the added bonus of being an excellent offensive tool when most scouts are only good at recon..” Melaniphi explained.

“So like if a scout saw a group of enemies they would report and retreat. Zet will report and then actively engage in guerrilla tactics to either take out the squad or stall for back up with great success. I’ve seen it myself when I was a scout deployed with them..” She chuckled uncomfortably.

“Kina can hit the tail feathers of a sparrow in the dead of night..But I also once saw her punch out a fellow brother for suggesting she smile more and maybe wear her hair a different way..” Melaniphi said. “They haven’t wronged me particularly.” She said responding to Irvards next question.

“They just each have some traits I could do without. And I doubt they are very fond of a healer like me either..” she added hastily. She knew she had her own flaws. They were told to her regularly...

“Honestly I would lean towards Zet as well..She’s different..But quiet and obedient and I would hate to see Kina and Grand master Maxine clash when she’s going on this journey for her own mental well being..” Melaniphi finished with a slight blush at speaking so openly with a superior about her fellow brothers and sisters in arms.

He listened to her explanation and nodded, "well, Zet it is then. Now that we have most of our official business out of the way. Tell me about what you've been doing since last we spoke. It's been far too long."

Zet seemed like the best choice to him. So he decided on that. She agreed, case closed.

His own life, since last he spoke with her, mostly consisted of fighting rebels. People who took it upon themselves to attack their strongholds in the north, he'd fought in a number of sieges, attacking and defending alike.

Melaniphi needed no second bidding and soon she was talking away. Her smile and warm demeanor adding to the animated way she told of her various adventures with her brothers and sisters.

She kept his ale tankard full and gave him an extra large bowel of soup from the kitchen as she continued. Soon she began to yawn as a couple of hours passed and night truly took hold of the world around them. “Oh..” She paused as the chime for lights out chimed and the beginning of the night watch shifts began.

“I guess we should get some rest. We have quiet the journey tomorrow. Especially with Grandmaster Maxine coming as well. I still have to tell Zet..They might have a night watch shift I can get covered for them so they can rest.” She said with a sleepy smile. She glanced around for a moment before coming around the table and hugging the massive man.

It was almost comical to see considering the difference in size. It was a kind gesture. One not tolerated by the legion for the most part, but healers were always an exception.

Always the softest of them all. She hugged him like an uncle or close friend. Her healing aura would run up his body. Any minor aches or slightly troublesome thoughts would be gently pushed aside.

“Thanks for listening to me Irvard sir.” She would say with another yawn. “I’m glad your back. I missed you.” She said with another smile before heading for the doors. In the morning she would wake and gather her things. Walking to the front gate a leg from around the corner would halt her progress. Sprawling to the ground in a ruckus of things being jostled and broken. Her glasses fell from her face.

“Well well. If it isn’t our top healer.”

A snide comment would reach her ears as she tried to pull herself up only to have a boot push her back to the ground and keep her there. She struggled to breath as weight was applied. The brunette was surrounded by a group of three guys and another girl.

All legion rank and file. “Because of you we had extra PT today. Wouldnt keep your fat mouth shut about Justin’s crooked collar. Just had to speak didn’t you.” More weight would be applied.

“Why wouldn’t you appreciate someone simply trying to better the unit by-ow!” Melaniphi said with nervous fear making her voice shake. She was no fighter. The foot had moved from her back to her head leaving her cheeks smushed between the foot and the ground.

“Would you just SHIT UP!” The girl yelled. Causing melaniphi to fall into a scared silence. “You never take a moment to just be quiet you stupid...” The girl began before she herself was silenced. A shadow cast over them. “H-hey Zet..” One of the guys in the group piped up. Earning him a nasty glare from the ring leader with her foot planted on Melaniphi.

“This doesn’t concern you Zet keep it moving..” She spat. The figure simply cocked their masked head to one side confused. “Maxine needs her collected.”they said simply shoving the girl away with a casual push. So taken aback the girl actually fell back into her butt as the cloaked and masked person helped Melaniphi up.

“T-thank you Zet.” She said with a nervous chuckle looking truly uncomfortable being touched by the person. She had seen Zet do terrible things to people this close to them. Even if she knew that Zet would never do that to her..

“Your lucky this time..” The girl spat as she stomped off with her posse in tow.

The memory still lead a shiver up her spine at the persons soft, cold touch. The hooded person simply nodded and let her lean on them for the first few steps as she regained her footing. They made it to the gate where Maxine and Irvard would be waiting.

“Trouble?” Maxine asked with a raised eyebrow. Zet simply shook their head. They wore the usual steel legion garb but unlike the average solider zets armor and fabric were a deep black. As well as a mask covering their entire face.

A demons skull with short horns still perched on its head. Their eyes showing through the eye sockets. Cold, but carrying a kind sadness.

While having a nice figure and the armor they wore being quite form fitting for better mobility there were no real qualities about Zet that really spoke to what they were exactly. She bowed to Maxine before saluting the knight. Melani grinned at them both.

“Yeah I just got lost..in my thoughts..” she said with a chuckle.

Zet nodded in agreement.

Last edited:
He listened to her rambling, it was quite refreshing to speak with someone so lively. He couldn't remember every little detail but he sure as heck tried to listen. He thanked her each time his mug was refilled and he definitely appreciated the second bowl of soup.

She glanced around for a moment before coming around the table and hugging the massive man.

It was almost comical to see considering the difference in size. It was a kind gesture. One not tolerated by the legion for the most part, but healers were always an exception.

Always the softest of them all. She hugged him like an uncle or close friend. Her healing aura would run up his body. Any minor aches or slightly troublesome thoughts would be gently pushed aside.

The hug was a bit of a surprise, but it was welcome. He hugged her back, her head basically at his breastbone made it a little odd but no less heartwarming.

“Thanks for listening to me Irvard sir.” She would say with another yawn. “I’m glad your back. I missed you.” She said with another smile before heading for the doors.

"Anytime. Sleep well kiddo." He said watching her go. Once she was gone, he picked up his helmet, put it on, and marched his way to the barracks.
“Trouble?” Maxine asked with a raised eyebrow. Zet simply shook their head. They wore the usual steel legion garb but unlike the average solider zets armor and fabric were a deep black. As well as a mask covering their entire face.

A demons skull with short horns still perched on its head. Their eyes showing through the eye sockets. Cold, but carrying a kind sadness.

While having a nice figure and the armor they wore being quite form fitting for better mobility there were no real qualities about Zet that really spoke to what they were exactly. She bowed to Maxine before saluting the knight. Melani grinned at them both.

“Yeah I just got lost..in my thoughts..” she said with a chuckle.

"Well kiddo make sure your heads on straight from here on out. We've got a job to do, so you can't be distracted." He said, mounted with a lance resting in its stirrup. "Mount up."

• Yay
Reactions: Syvis
Maxine seemed suspicious, but she relaxed as they readied to leave mounting their horses.

The gates to the guild hall swung open leaving them a short trot to the main road that lead to Elbion and beyond. Zet rode silently next to Maxine on her left leaving Irvard to take her right. Melaniphi took up the rear as Maxine led the way. Soon they were in the road. She breathed in a breath of fresh air. “Ah..A lovely day is it not? I was starting to think everything smelled like old halls and dusty books!” She said with a grin. Her helmet was strapped to her saddle.

Normally she would wear it, but under circumstances such as these it felt good to breath unrestricted. She stopped for a moment halting the group as well.

A true smile remained in her face as she took a moment to take in her surroundings.

“Nature always surprises me when I forget how beautiful and..” She began as a bird passing over head whistled its sweet call. “It’s nice to see her happy again..It’s been some time..but maybe this will do her some good.” She whispered to Irvard before a steaming stream of poop flew down to land on Maxine’s left shoulder. Her face fell as her perfect armor was dirtied.

“Zet.” She said growled as the person simply nodded and the bird fell from the sky like a stone.

The knife almost cutting the entire body in two.

“Stupid nature...burn it all..See who poops on me then....Stupid whistling...” She grumbled darkly urging her horse to move with a quick snap of her reigns.

“Or..maybe not..” Melaniphi finished with a nervous chuckle as they passed through the city gates of Elbion. The only large city they needed to pass through on their journey.

A true smile remained in her face as she took a moment to take in her surroundings.

“Nature always surprises me when I forget how beautiful and..” She began as a bird passing over head whistled its sweet call. “It’s nice to see her happy again..It’s been some time..but maybe this will do her some good.” She whispered to Irvard before a steaming stream of poop flew down to land on Maxine’s left shoulder. Her face fell as her perfect armor was dirtied.

“Zet.” She said growled as the person simply nodded and the bird fell from the sky like a stone.

The knife almost cutting the entire body in two.

“Stupid nature...burn it all..See who poops on me then....Stupid whistling...” She grumbled darkly urging her horse to move with a quick snap of her reigns.

“Or..maybe not..” Melaniphi finished with a nervous chuckle as they passed through the city gates of Elbion. The only large city they needed to pass through on their journey.

Irvard couldn't suppress a laugh at this particular turn of events. "You certainly seem to be getting along with your surroundings Grand Master. I recommend not making too many new friends too quickly, you might be overwhelmed."

His own thoroughbred horse was responsive to a simple tap by Irvard's heel, and strode forward easily. She was a glorious beast, Spitfire by name, clad in segmented steel plates and with red cloth padding underneath. She proudly strode alongside and behind Maxine's steed, and carried him with effortless grace, only made more majestic by the long, heavy lance held at rest by the rider.