Dreadlords Hammer and Anvil

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group
Character Biography
Link
Bang. Bang. Bang

Tinker's arm fell down and with it his hammer. Sparks flew as metal struck metal struck anvil. His latest project was nearly done. Despite all the delays. Despite all the time wasted because of his so called peers, he was nearly done. Strike after strike after strike. Each precise and measured. This was not a show of strength. Smithing, crafting, was far more than just a profession of brutes. Simpletons saw the hammer and assumed it was purely acts of strength. No. Strength often ruined works. It was control. Dedication. Those turned scraps of iron into lifesaving shields. Not strength.

One last hit. Into the water to cool the still hot metal. He was done.

The last bit of armor to latch into place. The last bit of armor for his newest creation. A golem with a core of clay but a shell of steel. One that could handle blunt blows yet not be hacked apart. One that could blend in with soldiers and civilians alike. A silent sentinel to guard Vel Anir.

The dreadlord in training stepped back to observe. Sweat dripping from his every pore. It was finally complete.

Soft claps came from the entryway. Casually in walked an adult, a proctor, covered from head to toe in leather and cloth. A mask commonly worn by alchemists and poison makers completely hiding their face. The voice that followed fit their figure: androgynous.

"Good work. What I expect from my favorite student."

Tinker turned. Proctor Atropa. The young man blinked. A slight smile on his face.

Proctor Atropa moved past the dreadlord-in-training to the golem. Finger tips gliding across as every inch was inspected. Hmms and has echoed from behind the mask. "Yes. Good work. Work good enough for testing."

Atropa turned to face Tinker. "Bath and eat. The perfect mission has come up to see what your project is worth."

The proctor began to leave, but stopped at the entryway. They turned back to Tinker. "Oh and I will gather some of the other students to tag along. To observe and judge."

Then they were gone. Tinker just stood there with his hammer in hand. Not a word spoken. Only stillness. For a moment. Then he set down his tool and moved to follow his orders.

The temperature of the room was suffocating as a single shirtless figure meticulously worked a thin piece of metal carving an intricate set of runes over a tower shield. Working with metal was not his preferred medium, but it did have its own advantages.

For one, it was far sturdier and would last longer than his leather or woodworks. Whoever this shield was given to then it would serve them well for likely most of their career. Might need to have the runes touched up a bit every now and then, but it would not break.

The downside was that working with metal was difficult. It was hotter, and one slip up meant the project was ruined and Alistair would be nursing burns for weeks.

He heard the door to the smithy open, and thankfully it was someone who appreciated the work because they made no noise. With one more slow, deep breath, Alistair made the final etching and stepped back to appreciate his work.

"It looks perfect."

Alistair turned to see Proctor Atropa. He knew the proctor more from his work with runic alchemy, but the figure tended to supervise a lot of the crafting done in the Academy. "Thank you. I think it is ok for my current skill with metal."

The proctor nodded and explained that he had a mission that he wished Alistair to be a part of. "Understood, I will get cleaned up and be there as soon as possible."

The proctor seemed satisfied and left. Alistair took one last look at the newly engraved shield before turning to take a quick bath to clean himself off.

Tinker Smithe

Free periods were always nice...unless they got ruined by something.

In this case, right as Kristen was leaving Proctor Renou's class on the Geopolitics of Liadain, right as she was making her usual left turn in the hallway to exit Building A (such sterile names for every building on the Academy grounds!), she bumped face first into someone.

And not into just anyone.

Bull.

He was something of her nemesis here at the Academy, and even if he wasn't that, Kristen still would have paled at the sight of him. He was a great mound of hairless flesh--not a single hair grew on the top of his head, above his eyes, nowhere across that expansive tapestry. Bull was two inches shorter than Kristen (before his flesh magic went wild, that is), but he was much, much wider. Not in the way that Ignatius was, rotund, but quite simply stocky, his chest and legs like a barrel supported by two tree trunks. All of this was to say nothing of his eyes, which perfectly communicated all of the disturbing predilections infesting his predatory mind.

"Come with me," he said curtly, his voice like an ominous rumble of distant thunder.

"W-What would be the occasion?" Kristen said.

"Proctor Atropa put me, you," a meaty finger poked her stomach when he said it, and Kristen jerked back, "and a few others on a mission."

Kristen wasn't so trusting to just take his word on it. "S-Surely, then, P-Proctor Atropa could come and--"

"Get ready. We're assembling by the gates."

A tiny hint of a smug sneer flashed on his expression, and then he turned and walked away, heavy bootfalls in his wake.

* * * * *​

Turned out that it wasn't some devious ploy. Bull had, for once, been completely truthful. Kristen had checked in with Proctor Atropa and, now feeling the urgency of time and not wanting to be the last one there at the gates, hurriedly donned her armor in her dorm room. She secured her mace and her book of verses and headed out, quickly down to the courtyard and across it, briskly making her way to the gates of the Academy.

Bull was already there, and she was hoping that the "few others" would show up sooner rather than later, lest she entertain Bull's revolting company alone for a sorely long time.

Tinker Smithe Alistair Krixus

"Initiate Tal'deneshaar.." a boot would wedge itself in his side and shove him off his chair, effectively waking the sleeping initiate up. Proctor Atropa sneered down at him. "You have fallen asleep in this class for the last time. I will inform Proctor Vernon you will not be joining him in detention this weekend. You will be busy on a mission. Perhaps you will learn a thing or two."

The surprise of waking was quickly whisked away by the looming mask. Drast stifled a yawn and offered a thumbs up and nod of his head. "Understood! Where am I going?"

Hours later, Drast was making his way to the gate. He wasn't told anything about well, anything. Just be at the gate and don't be late. So he shuffled his way through the crowds and zoomed his way to the gate.

He almost regretted eating as Bull came into view, and the urge to projectile vomit quickly entered his waking thoughts. Fighting the urge he would come to a stop beside Bull and look from him to the gate. "Fuck. Guess you're coming with." He sighed then just barely noticed Kristen hidden? Eaten? Concealed? He wasn't sure what the best term was but at least someone he liked would be there. "Hey Kristen."

He pulled on his white gloves just in case Bull tried to touch him. "So, whats all this about, then? Is it just us?"

Tinker Smithe Alistair Krixus Kristen Pirian @DoubleWideXtraThiccccBull

Of course, Everleigh was on this “mission,” after all she was more qualified than anyone else to be here— she’s was Tinker’s translator! When he got in his head everyone would count of her to talk or to explain or to keep things fun and less serious. Or when he insulted them she could cover it up. Really, Everleigh prided herself— and despite Tinker always thinking otherwise— on being the reason why her anti-social toy maker was still alive.

Tinker could say whatever he wanted and stand there without his guard up, if Everleigh was there, no one was going to touch him. Like she’d let that happen.

Oh shit,” Everleigh said, seeing the group already forming. Was she late? Oh well, it’s not like Tinker was here to glare at her and call her lazy or stupid and whatnot. “Who knew Tinker was this popular? Not me, I’d never guess it.” Everleigh said, grinning wildly as she stepped up to Alistair, tapping the back of her fist to his shoulder. “Great to see everyone except you, Bull. You sure you’re in the right place? Don’t you wanna go running through another aether field to get some attention?” Everleigh’s voice may have sounded cheerful and playful but the sneering mouth and narrowed eyes told an entirely different story. To say that she still carried a grudge from Bull demanding to take the orb from war games was an understatement.

Especially when she reached one hand up and over to clasp around her lance that she was equipped with for this mission.

Just kidding.” She chimed, and that hand went back to her side. “It’s Tinker’s big day, after all. Don’t want to take the focus off of him. Right, guys?” A subtle warning to anyone and everyone, if someone made the wrong move, Everleigh would personally clean it up.

The students had been gathered at the gate. No Proctor Atropa in sight. It was just them all, minus Tinker, expected to be on time no matter what.

But after nearly half an hour past the gathering time, the Proctor arrived with a pair of carriages for the students. Tinker and a very large, armored from head to toe soldier arrived with the androgynous superior to them all. The shield that Alistair had made was in the soldier's hand.

Proctor Atropa turned to the other students as Tinker was helping the soldier get loaded up into the lead carriage, "Ah yes. My little buds have all gathered. Alistair and Everleigh and...." It was hard to say who the Proctor was currently looking at from behind the mask nor was it possible to make out the look on their face with it completely covered. But there was no doubt some disgust at the sight of Bull as if they had not told the initiate to gather here personally. "And the rest of you. Yes. Good that you are all gathered."

Once Tinker had finished helping out the soldier, he didn't join the group but instead stood next to the Atropa.

"Your mission is rather simple, yet that will make it difficult. You are to bring an end to a rumored revolt forming on a border town with Falwood. There will be elven subjects of Vel Anir present. I leave the lead of this task up to initiate Tinker. Do as he says. Rebellion will not be tolerated."

The Proctor began to walk away before anyone could even respond. All comments seemingly ignored until they would pause and turn back to the group. "Oh yes. Seating arrangements. Hmm." Then the Proctor began to point to those gathered at random and assigned them all to a cart. Once that was over Atropa left without another word.

Tinker watched then just went to the lead carriage without saying a word. Obviously the others would be professional and do the same. Even they couldn't screw up such a simple task.

======
Carriage 1: Tinker, Soldier, Kristen Pirian , Drastus Tal'deneshaar
Carriage 2: Bull, Alistair Krixus , Everleigh Ebersol

Alistair had punctually made in on time and was casually standing when the others when the carriages finally arrived. It looked like they would be traveling in style for a bit of the journey, that would be nice. It was also a good sign that everyone on the team was people that he was use to working with except Tinker, the soldier, and Bull...Fuck Bull.

When the soldier had arrived Alistair had watched him for quite some time. It wasn't really about the soldier though, it was more about the shield. The way it was being held indicated that the weight was well balanced and the runes were in good working order. He had done a pretty good job.

He was content to compliment himself until they were told the assignment and then he had to sigh. He was back to dealing with elves again...The elves were always such a hassle to deal with except this time it was going to be essential in the Falwood. That would make this assignment nearly unbearable.

He spoke too soon. Elves in the Falwood would be fine. No, Alistair had found what was actually unbearable. He couldn't do it. It was going to kill him. Alistair moved over to stand next to Drastus.

"I need you to switch seats with me..." Alistair could not put up with Bull for an entire ride to the Falwood.

Kristen Pirian Drastus Tal'deneshaar Everleigh Ebersol Tinker Smithe

Kristen breathed a sigh of relief when it became clear that the others taking part in the mission were not also Initiates whom Kristen was rather wary of—imagine the horror of Ignatius and Jaxan and Charon and Talea as well with Bull! Alistair and Drastus, of course, were both very welcome sights; Alistair with his nobility and refinement, Drastus with his wit and charm. Everleigh was coming too and, well, Kristen would be something of a liar if she said that the "Poison Eater" didn't make her nervous; the Punishment Game wasn't a very cordial introduction, even if Everleigh had some sweet moments during it, and so her penchant for mischief made Kristen uncomfortable in her presence. Mayhap this mission might change that?

And then there was Tinker, an Initiate Kristen could scarcely say she knew anything about. Truth be told, she...didn't even know he was here at the Academy until just this very moment. Not that she hadn't on very rare occasions heard the apparent name of Tinker from other Initiates, yet, without a face or so much as a person to which she could attach the name, she had simply thought those few instances to be a grammatical misuse of the verb. But here he was now. My, wasn't...what happened to his face? Why hadn't he gone to see Gemma or one of the other healers to remedy that? And who was the other Initiate with him, the big one with all the armor and the shield?

The carriages arrived (how splendid, actual carriages!) and seating arrangements were doled out by the Proctor.

Oh! Well, how fortuitous! It could have been that Kristen was placed in the same carriage as Tinker, the armored Initiate, and Bull, which would have amounted to awkwardness on one side of her and revulsion on the other. She thanked Blessed Aionus that at least she had Drastus to ride with.

Or maybe not? Alistair was currently inquiring if he could switch seats with him.

As they hashed that out, Kristen boarded the carriage and took her seat. Well, now was a splendid time to open a dialogue with Tinker and the armored Initiate. They could be positively charming for all she knew. Despite how poorly her introduction had gone with Bull a year prior, still it was always good to put her best foot forward. 'Twas only proper.

Kristen put a hand to her chest and said cordially to Tinker and (unbeknownst to her) the golem. "Since we shall be working together whilst embarked upon this endeavor, might I introduce myself? My name is Kristen Pirian, and I am pleased to make your acquaintance, Tinker, and..."

A look at the armored golem.

"I am truly sorry, but I do not believe I've had the occasion to hear your name?"

* * * * *​

Bull had scowled at Drastus and Everleigh. And to the latter he replied, "Your weak flesh wouldn't have survived."

To Bull, it was obvious why he was here. It wasn't just the purple-haired morsel's flesh that was weak. All of the other Initiates were weak. And Tinker Smithe was the biggest dullard of the lot. He put his faith in things of metal and stone. Pathetic toys. When the children waging this rebellion crushed his brittle creation, it would be up to Bull to salvage the mission.

He had been wanted to craft a new necklace, after all. And elven ears were prized trophies. Elven ears, and if he was lucky and cunning...a couple noble ears too. Pirian and Krixus.

Bull loaded his bulky girth onto the carriage, the wood straining slightly under his weight, and took his seat with a dour expression writ on his hairless visage.

Tinker Smithe Everleigh Ebersol Alistair Krixus Drastus Tal'deneshaar

Oh damn, Tinker was real and wasn't just some animated toy running around the Academy. What. A. Shock. Drast would only grin at the Proctor as her disdain for the lot was displayed. He knew why he was here.

Then Bull had to go and do something so stupid. He had to talk. "Bull.. you look at anyone like they're a collectible on this trip and I will melt your flesh to ash." The normally upbeat Initiate would hiss.

Best news, he would be seated away from Bull and that was something he would definitely not change. So when Alistair came over, he would offer an apologetic smile. "Sorry chief, rules are rules. If he does anything flag. We'll stop the carriages and hide his stupid body." He would clap Al on the shoulder before climbing up into his wagon.

So, it was him, Kristen (who he sat next to), Tinker (who was actually a real boy) , and the "knight". He didn't speak. He didn't move normally and so Drast would lean towards Kristen a bit, his voiced lowered so only she would hear. "Kris.. hes not a real boy.."

He did, however, offer Tinker a nod.. he was confident Kristen would do enough speaking for the both of them.

Tinker Smithe Kristen Pirian
Alistair Krixus Everleigh Ebersol @DefinitelyNotBull

Everleigh raised a brow in question at Bull’s words. It was interesting. Weak flesh? He was insulting her wasn’t he? But in what fashion? Everleigh wasn’t sure if it was some uninspired quip or if he was actually calling her weak.

Nothing got under her skin more than being looked down upon.

Great.” Everleigh chirped, a wide smile that didn’t match her vicious eyes appearing as she placed her hands on her hips. “C’mon Alistair, you don’t wanna miss being in the fun cart.” She said, beginning to file in behind Bull. She then turned her head around to look at Alistair, a softer, more playful look appearing. “If you’re worried about getting germs on you, you can sit on my lap.” She teased as she climbed up onto the cart.

Before she sat down she looked over to where Tinker was in the first cart. Kristen was fine, she’d just talk too much and bug Tinker, Drastus was also fine but once again, he probably would talk too much for Tinker’s liking. Despite Everleigh not enjoying where she was at when it came to seating arrangements she couldn’t exactly say that she was upset by the outcome. Better for Bull to be far away from Tinker.

Tinker Smithe Alistair Krixus Kristen Pirian Drastus Tal'deneshaar

Tinker had gotten himself into the driver's seat of the carriage. Someone was going to have to handle the horses as they were not provided with anyone who could do it for them. The second carriage was going to need someone to step up there as well. Tinker was going to give them just a bit of time before he left them behind.

There was no place for the slow at the Academy. Not of foot nor the mind. Bull was already a failure in that last category. Would be a shame, if only he could understand why.

The smartest student was just thinking over the plans for the journey in glorious silence when someone approached him. This made him jump from his thoughts back to reality. How rude of them to make him do so without permission first.

Tinker turned to Kristen and blinked at her as she spoke. Polite. Rare. Clearly a sign of higher intellect than most of his other peers. She had said too much. Far, far too much. But he could ignore that detail for now.

"Tinker. Guard." He motioned to the massive soldier sitting still as stone in the back of the carriage. "Brace self."

Then the initiate whipped the reigns and got the horses moving. The others would either keep up or be left behind. He didn't care which. A bit of time away from Evie wouldn't be so bad. A nice vacation.

Wait... When did that other initiate get in the carriage and why was his backpack so large? Overpackers made journeys slow and intolerable. At least this Kristen knew the right amount to take even if she showed the first sign of being a fluff speaker.

Kristen Pirian Drastus Tal'deneshaar Everleigh Ebersol Alistair Krixus

Alistair watched Drastus enter his own carriage with longing to join him. He looked back to Evie with a sigh and managed to get out a small smile. At least he had Evie, that might make the ride a little bearable. Still, he wasn't taking any chances. He slipped one of his small daggers up his sleeve.

"I'm not worried about germs. I'm worried about that bastard trying to cut off my ear. If he even twitches funny then we will be arriving at this place with one less member."

Alistair said seriously before getting into the carriage. Their traveling arrangement was actually kind of nice, if not for the big shit stain that was Bull's face.

"Alright, let's get going."

Tinker Smithe Kristen Pirian Drastus Tal'deneshaar Everleigh Ebersol

Kris.. hes not a real boy..

"He's not?"

She blinked, looking from Drastus to the Soldier to Tinker and to the Soldier again. Wasn't he...though? If he wasn't an Initiate, then who—or what—was he?

Still pondering this question, Tinker looked over his shoulder from the driver's platform and spoke. Oh how lovely, he was going to clarify! Oh. Wait. He just said Guard. So...this person was an Anirian Guard then? Surely he could speak for himself though, could he not?

Brace self.

Kristen gripped the seat of the carriage upon which she sat as the vehicle started in motion, and she held on until she settled in. Back into her lap her hands went.

Then she spared a look to Drastus again, somewhat puzzled. She hardly knew anything of Tinker, yes, but perhaps...he did? Among everyone gathered for this mission, someone had to. Mayhap Drastus had gone on a mission with their fellow, far more elusive Initiate before? For all she knew, he could be as off-putting as Bull or as refined as Alistair. She just didn't know.

Regardless, Kristen made another attempt to open up dialogue with Tinker. "Proctor Atropa appointed you as leader of this mission, Tinker. Certainly that must be exciting, no? It says quite a lot to have entrusted to your care a matter of such delicate and important character. Mayhap the additional responsibility will garner extra marks for you. Wouldn't that be grand?"

* * * * *​

Bull sat in his seat, hands on his knees, staring straight forward without blinking as if he were some kind of giant, fleshy, oddly infantile statue. He didn't speak to Alistair nor Everleigh, and just kept to himself.

Tinker Smithe Drastus Tal'deneshaar Everleigh Ebersol Alistair Krixus

He watched as Kristen digested that comment in real time and... it didn't go anywhere. He would have to explain it later. His pack was set down in a corner and one boot would rest atop a bench across from them.

So maybe he was wrong. Maybe, Tinker was an actual toy and was enchanted to speak only a few phrases. Or.. he just didn't like talking. Which, would make more sense then an enchanted toy running around with a golem. Hopefully.

Then Kristen began with her conversation with the back of Tinkers head. He watched to see if his hypothesis was correct and as she uttered her last sentence, he would speak to her again, voice still lowered so only she could hear. "I don't think he's big on conversation."

Everleigh Ebersol Tinker Smithe Alistair Krixus Kristen Pirian @TheCannibalFormerlyKnownAsBull

• Stressed
Reactions: Kristen Pirian
Everleigh shrugged, taking the reigns and as Tinker began to get his cart moving, Everleigh would do the same. It was nice being in the rider’s seat, meant she was further away from the idiot who she was still upset with for ever daring to try and take the orb from her during the War Games. The con? Her back was turned to Bull and she didn’t like that feeling.

Sure she had taken plenty of fingernails, toenails, teeth, and even actual fingers during her ruthless gambling games at the academy, but those served a purpose: to remind the other initiates that she was indeed someone to respect. It’s not like she got off from it like— well, okay, maybe that was a lie but the principles were different!

Bull was obsessed with ears. Everleigh was obsessed with big wagers, losing versus winning. She didn’t even want to think what Bull did with his ears.

Alistair.” She said, looking back behind her shoulder. “Do you know why they call Bull, well, Bull?” She asked.

• Nervous
The carriage was moving as was the other, lesser one behind his. Tinker was glad someone over there had some sense. Likely Evie. He didn't know the long haired one so could not say what level of intellect he possessed. Although knowing most of his peers it was safe to say at least slightly below average for the uneducated peasants. The big one was clearly the stupidest of them all. Everything about him spoke of a being devote of thought and only interested in those basic, organic, needs.

The talkative one began to speak to him once more after her little chat with the pleasantly quiet one. Her words were polite if mentioned the obvious along with fluff too often. A bit of good with a bit of bad. But he needed to make an effort. Proctor Atropa required it of him for this one.

So after a bit of time in silence so Tinker could think of a response, he finally spoke.

"Not after marks. Pointless competition. Duty matters. Fulfill duty well. Return. Prepare for next duty."

Good. He had gotten out everything he wanted to say. This one was of a higher intellect than the others. She would get it.

Marks. A fool's prize. A system designed to provide purpose to those who were incapable of seeing the grander design. Their place was to be tools to make Vel Anir closer to her true potential. Some of them were sharp and precise as knives. Instruments that could cleanly remove the defective and unnecessary bits from their great society. Some were hammers to force parts into their needed shape and place.

Tinker glanced back at those in his carriage and those in the one behind. A moment then his gaze was back to the road.

Hopefully this group was made up of knives and hammers. He would rather not have to justify the leaving of a nail battered into place far away to his superiors.

Kristen Pirian Alistair Krixus Drastus Tal'deneshaar Everleigh Ebersol

Alistair looked confusingly at Everleigh and then back at the large initiate that looked like he had been kicked in the face by a bull, as a child. The answer almost seemed too obvious. What other reason could it be? Unless...maybe his mother had been a bull, but he looked human enough that they had let him into the school.

Still, Alistair did not feel like starting a fight at the beginning of a large carriage ride, so he just responded with "No, I have no idea."

He did not think bulls ate ears or had weird ear fetishes, so it could not be that. Maybe if he squinted hard enough, the large boy did look bovine in nature.

Everleigh Ebersol Kristen Pirian Drastus Tal'deneshaar Tinker Smithe

Apparently Drastus was right. Tinker wasn't that big on conversation. Kristen's lips pursed and her brows perked as if she'd stumbled unwittingly into a faux pas. Oh. Well. She certainly didn't want to go dragging Tinker into what he found to be a quagmire of unpleasantness, especially since she had only just made his acquaintance! 'Twas no way to make a good first impression at all, and like mother said, first impressions left the biggest impressions.

After a rather long bridge of silence, Tinker did, in fact, respond to her question. This in his particularly...unique way of speaking, stripped of all but the bare essentials. Kristen was catching on.

Still, the smile she returned was a bit uncertain, and she rubbed the back of her neck. She said in closing, "But of course. We should all strive to perform our duties well. I suppose that marks truly are more of a superficial measure."

She nibbled on her bottom lip awkwardly, then looked over to Drastus. Tinker might well be comfortable with silence, preferring it perhaps to the hard exclusion of even mild conversation, but Kristen just had an innate need to talk and socialize. Even when she was mad with someone and actively didn't want to talk with them, like Edric, she just gravitated to talking to others around her (who were the dwarves aboard the Kammerund in that particular case).

So she left Tinker to his driving, and struck up conversation with Drastus instead. A somewhat gloomy topic bobbed on the surface waters of her mind, so however gloomy it indeed was, she just went with it.

"A rebellion, though," she said, giving a big sigh, her shoulders sagging some and degrading her normally pristine posture. A touch of dismay colored her expression. "It saddens me to hear of such things. Know these people that the Revolution was for them? For all Anirians? It beggars belief that a gift so grand would be resisted. All those who risked everything for the Revolution—my own House included—all those who gave their lives, all of it just...willingly tossed away as if it were rubbish."

Last edited:
Drastus watched as Tinker kept up with his little toy-like rehearsed responses and could just feel how uncomfortable the guy was. And still.. Kristen. Persisted.

At her immediate response, Drastus would curse under his breath. "Fucking Aionus.." she was determined to get under Tinkers skin. Now Drast personally had no issue with how much she liked talking, he liked it about her. It rivaled him. But he didn't want the Golem to eat her. So halfway through her initial response, he would take her hand and give it a squeeze, accompanied with a look.

He felt bad as she deflated some, that regal posturing dissolving. He sighed and released her hand, feeling a tad awful for taking the wind from her sails.

At least she turned her attention to him and spared Tinker. He offered Kristen a shrug. "Some people just want a war, Kris. I mean centuries of war and hate don't disappear after a year. Besides, some just think it was lust for power, not to bring change to everyone."

Drast would procure his 'waterskin', open it, and take a pull from it, before offering it to Kristen. He definitely needed to get something going if he had to see Bull later.

Everleigh Ebersol Tinker Smithe Alistair Krixus Kristen Pirian @DefinitelyNotAHuman,Bull

Last edited:
Everleigh kept her gaze straight ahead, staring at the wagon in front of them, watching the way Drastus and Kristen interacted with each other. Her gaze kept flickering over to Tinker, and saw him look back for the briefest of moments before turning his head back to the road. She couldn’t help but wonder what they were all talking about up there. They had to be talking, well, not Tinker, Tinker hardly ever said anything. The poison eater supposed she could focus more on those on her wagon though.

I have a few theories why he’s called Bull,” Everleigh said, changing her voice to mimick one of those spindly librarian people with mousy hair and thick spectacles. “One, because he’s stupid. Two, because it’s his favorite animal. Three, he’s a Taurus. Four, and probably the most likely, his head reminds one of looking at a pair of cow balls.” She finished with a shit eating grin.

Tinker Smithe Kristen Pirian Drastus Tal'deneshaar Alistair Krixus

• Popcorn
The one called Kristen understood. Clearly one of higher intellect amongst those at the academy. He would even give her a nod acknowledging that he had indeed paid attention to her words. Just like he had been informed to do by Atropa.

Then things went in a direction he had not expected. She began to talk to the quiet one in the back of the carriage. Wasn't the conversation over? He thought it was. Perhaps it was not. He couldn't hear what they were saying so could not form an opinion on the subject. Shame. They would be missing his keen insight into the matter.

Perhaps they simply wanted to figure it out on their own and not rely on him? Yes. That was likely it. Atropa had clearly put the best members of the team into his carriage and the choice was not done on a whim on the spot.

Tinker shifted his attention away and back to the road. To the road and what lay ahead. Revolts. Elves. Tests. Something about it felt off to him. He could put the little pieces together and roughly make it fit, but it was not perfect. A puzzle needed to be perfectly solved. Vague approximations would not do. So what was he missing? What were they lacking? Vel Anir trusted in her children and knew she could send them out with missing tools. They just had to make their own. So what tool was going to be required for this mission that they didn't have?

His eyes went back to study over those gathered before returning to the road.

Evie was clever if simple. This Kristen was proving to be smart and looked capable. The quiet one was chatting more with Kristen so was proving to be less quiet than he thought and likely less intelligent. The smart spoke little. Too many precious thoughts to waste on words. The black haired one seemed like the type to whine. Might be a talker too. Both were problems.

And then there was the biggest, dumbest one from the academy. Useless. Worse than useless. It would actively get in the way thinking it was being clever. Whole mission was likely be fail due to it being present.

There was a bit of a pattern. Too many independent minds. Too many of them feeble. Likely a group of hammers and nails. Knowing Atropa that meant they would need knives for it. A revolt often took knives to slice the infested from the pure. Something a hammer could never do. They could only break indiscriminately.

What Tinker wouldn't do for a good knife right about now. Hopefully this Kristen lived up to his expectations and the quiet one stopped ruining their good image.

Kristen Pirian Everleigh Ebersol Alistair Krixus Drastus Tal'deneshaar

Alistair could not stop himself from letting out a small laugh at Evie's theories. Almost all of them could be correct. A small part of him should feel bad about this form of bullying, but the big guy's attitude did him no favors. He still remembered the one time Bull sniffed his ear while he was eating...Yeah, fuck that guy.

"We can keep guessing or maybe you could tell us, Bull...By the way, what is it that you exactly do, magically speaking?"

He had never been in any sort of battle with Bull, since he actively tried to avoid the man whenever he could.

Alistair turned his gaze to the other carriage with worry. He saw Drastus and Kristen speaking. Kristen was easily influenced by the people around her and Drastus was...well he was Drastus. Not bad necessarily, but different and unorthodox, especially with his skeletal friend. It had the potential to influence Kristen in a good way, or that could all just go horribly wrong.

His eyes then shot over to Tinker. He actually saw Tinker more than most people. He was one of the only few that he spotted in the craftsmen areas of the Academy as often as himself and Ralene...It said even more about him that Alistair had never really got to talk to him. He was what Alistair could have been had it not been for his noble responsibilities ensuring that he socialized with others...One of those, I find it easier talking to metal than I do people, types.

Everleigh Ebersol Drastus Tal'deneshaar Kristen Pirian Tinker Smithe

Kristen pulled a long face. Drastus, unfortunately, was right. The advent of the Republic might have happened with shocking speed, but all of the changes it was to herald would be slow in coming. Much like replacing every brick of a grand cathedral from the bottom up, it was sure to be a tiring and arduous process. Goodness! There might well be Anirians on the fringes of the former Kingdom who'd not yet received the news, or who thought such the Revolution was nothing more than codswallop and the power paradigms of old unaltered.

This was all to say nothing of those who had a dubious estimation of the new Republic and the motivations behind its formation. A lust for power, Drastus had said, and with Houses like Sirl or Banick (or even Luana, Zana's own erstwhile masters) under the old way such a suggestion was easy to believe.

She sighed. Accepted the waterskin from Drastus with a nod of gratitude, but held it in her lap. She said, "I suppose you're right, loathe as I am to admit it." She stared forward for a moment, then, after an idea struck her, looked back to Drastus with a renewed vigor. "Oh, mayhap I should inquire of Proctor D'amour her thoughts on war, duty, and necessary violence. Of an extraordinary caliber, she is, a seasoned Dreadlord whose uniqueness lies in the brightness of her spirit against the midnight backdrop typical of her peers."

No one could match Evangeline's humanity. Not even Zana or Selene. And it was for this that Kristen idolized Evangeline alongside these other two heroes of hers. Evangeline had within her possession both power and grace, and she harmonized both of these qualities in an unrivaled fashion.

"Does it ever trouble you, Drastus?" Kristen asked, a curious note in her tone. "The myriad woes of war?"

What small samplings Kristen had been subject to over her limited record of missions had left a certain taste in her mouth. Bittersweet.

And as of late, despite even the present conversation, she could not discern if it was more bitter or more sweet.

* * * * *​

Bull didn't give any hints with his body language as to whether Everleigh was right or wrong or close with any of her suggestions.

He did, however, favor Alistair with a brief glance.

"You'll find out."

And then swiveled his head straight and forward again, staring with that same intensity out along the passing landscape, thoughts of a particular character marching through his head.

Drast rolled his shoulders, a look of surprise flashing along his features as she admitted he might be right. What a rarity. Especially with how positive she always was. And even then, a part of him felt remorse for possibly taking the air further still from her sails.

"Perhaps she can help with her insight." Drast agreed with Kristen, if only to return some of that hope. His gaze shifted to take in their surroundings, if only briefly to ensure they weren't being tracked.

He caught sight of Alistair looking their way and offered him a nod. The pair had fought in a few battles together, Evie too. Both were more than capable and he had trained Kristen some, so he knew she was capable. Tinker was a nerd, which meant he probably had the revolt solved by now. Bull? Drast was going to hope the elves killed him.

Kristens question would pull him back from his thoughts and his gaze shifted back to her. She had seen some of the worst of the scars he earned in this endless war they seemed to be fighting. "Sometimes. Feel like I'm betraying my fathers teachings. Then I remember that this is what is required of me." They were children soldiers. And whether he wanted to admit or not, he felt as if he had no real humanity left. He liked the killing. Drast then offered a shrug. "You?"

Everleigh Ebersol Tinker Smithe Alistair Krixus Kristen Pirian @CanniBull

He turns himself into a big, ugly, stretchy… thing.” Everleigh told Alistair, before adding in a quick, “you shouldn’t talk to him too much, Alistair.” In truth, the poison eater was trying to goad Bull. But it didn’t seem like that would work. And besides, she supposed really, deep down, she didn’t care much about the initiate. He really only got on her radar when he took the orb from her and because he had blocked her she had gotten electrocuted and— ooh, she was feeling a little mad again.

She shook her head. A subject change. That’s what was needed. But what to talk about? Oh. That’s right. She never got to continue her conversation with Alistair about fate and destiny.

Alistair, have you made up your mind on whether you believe more in fate or in destiny?

• Thoughtful