Dreadlords Gone, But Not Lost

Threads open to all members of the Dreadlords group

Edric

The Warrior
Character Biography
Link
Edric sat perched upon the highest wall of the fortress, his gaze stuck on the ancient forest around him.

For as long as he could remember the Proctor's had preached the dangers of the Falwood. They had told him and the others that venturing into the forest was death. That any number of things here could kill them. Elves, monsters, the trees themselves were enemies of humanity. All deadly in their own way, all monstrous in how they stood against Vel Anir.

Yet here he was, in the midst of the Falwood.

Sat in a citadel controlled by one of the greatest enemies the city had ever faced.

The moment felt utterly surreal, as had every other since they had arrived here. Edric was not entirely sure how much time had passed since he and the others had stepped into the abyss, but he knew he'd at least slept twice. That was the only way to gauge time here, for the forest was dense and the sun did not cut through the canopy all that well.

Archon Gilram claimed that the fortress they now stayed in had once been a watch post, constructed after the second Elven war by Dreadlords more powerful than even him. It was hidden by magics he claimed, powerful sorcery which cloaked them from the eyes of the Falwood, and all others who might be searching for them.

As Edric peered out into the forest, he couldn't help but think Gilram had been right.

He'd never felt so alone.

"Edric!"
The familiar sound of Fermin's voice broke through the silence of the tower. The other Initiate swaggering up behind Edric. A wide grin sat on his face, the confidence he had always worn not diminished in the least by their new circumstances. No greeting left his lips, but the other boy didn't even seem to notice.

"Some of Gil's peeps just got back, 'parently little bit of a big deal. Want to meet them?"

Edric had to suppress the immediate scowl that pulled at his lips, fingers flickering into a fist as he reminded himself of why he was here.

"Of course I do." He said, turning away from the view and hopping off the palisade. "I didn't come here to sulk on a wall."

He said with a chuckle, Fermin smiling wide.

"See, I told Talea you'd want to meet 'em."

Edric flashed him a smile, the expression lasting only long enough to make it to the stairs down into the courtyard below.

Delaney was already in the courtyard waiting to meet these people who were supposedly important. There were some other Dreadlords there with her but the one she was waiting for hadn’t made an appearance yet. Neither had Edric for that matter.

Her shadows had not whispered into her ear about killing Gaage or anyone else since she had stepped into the void with Gilram but Delaney was still on edge. She had always known what was next in life: killing, torture, following orders, etc. and now she was in a weird holding pattern. She had no clue what was happening or what was going to happen.

She needed Gaage.

She needed structure.

She needed a plan.

Among the group arriving from beyond the fort, a pale and translucent figure moved with them. Flickering and fading in and out of sight as they traversed the landscape, the ghoulish form of a young woman slowly became more and more apparent the closer they drew.

Chasmine had now gazed upon the entrance to Gilram's citadel more times than she could count, and every time she did it felt a little more like a home. Unbeknownst to her, this day would greet her with more familiarity than she could have expected.

When Duncan had informed her that her presence was required at Gilram’s estate deep within the Falwood she was certain that this would be the day the Archon would finally confess his undying love for her.

To her disappointment, Mae soon learned that Gilram’s ‘estate’ wasn’t a romantic villa but instead an ominous fort in the woods. And she learned that Duncan, herself, and the others were going there for other reasons.

It didn’t matter.

One day, probably any day now, Gilram would finally put an end to her unrequited love. He was simply shy or didn’t want to appear to show favoritism. That was ok. She could wait for him to come to his senses. He was worth it.

”We’re meeting a bunch of kids?” she asked while Duncan nodded affirmatively.

“Recent graduates of the academy. Gilram wants us,” before he could finish Mae raised a brow and cut him off with clear excitement ringing through her voice. ”A power assessment?”

Oh! He did care. He really, truly, cared for her and trusted her so much that he wanted her to be apart of such an important task.

Together they crossed through the dense forest towards the courtyard. Duncan was older, in his early thirties, and possessed broad shoulders, tanned skin, and always seemed to prefer wearing thick strips of cloth weaved around his body instead of proper armor. Trudging along beside him was Mae, a blonde woman with an athletic build dressed in Allirian leathers she’d procured on a mission years back. Both of them wore the insignia of the Dreadlords but with a gold trim cast around it.

It signaled they were a different breed. They stood for something that mattered instead of the vague platitudes the academy and Vel Anir preached.

Once they arrived at the courtyard they stood side-by-side taking in the sight of the new recruits with wide, friendly, smiles. Completely oblivious to the wraith-like girl who’d been on the outskirts of the fort.

Doubt.

It was something Gaage had never really had to content with before. It was always 'Just do what they tell you to do. Kill who they tell you to kill.' It was such a simple way of living, and for a while there, especially once Delaney came along, it wasn't a bad life at all. Now... things were different. What happened in those woods had shaken him. Him, of all people, who saw nothing wrong in killing without thought, had been hesitant to raise his fists.

Eberwhit had been forced to make a choice, to either stick with the Academy or run away with somebody he barely knew anything about. Crazy at was, Gaage knew that any other day he'd have picked Vel Anir. Not because he liked them, or because he felt some sort of loyalty to the Academy, fuck no. He'd have picked them because at least there he had a home. He had a job he was good at, some people who didn't hate him, too.

So why had he left with Gilram?

Well, he was looking down at the reason why from a window in the bedroom he'd been given to share with her. (Apparently Gilram wasn't as prudish about couples being public...) Delaney Lennox... She'd been assigned to help him integrate into the student body of the Academy, and instead they'd fallen in love. What had started as fooling around in his dorm room every night had turned into a fairly serious ordeal, and when Delaney asked him to follow her, He couldn't say no. Lennox was his girl, and he'd follow her to the ends of the earth.

So why did he feel like such a douche?

Maybe it was the way those who'd stayed looked at him as he'd left in her arms that morning. Maybe it was that he knew he couldn't go back now. Maybe it was that he didn't trust Gilram even half as much as Laney seemed to.

Whatever it was, he didn't like it. This feeling sucked.

Nothing to be done though, not right now. He'd give this some time, stick close to his girl and see what came of all this commotion going on today. Maybe he was still just shaken up after all. Making his way down to the courtyard, Eberwhit quickly went to Delaney's side, wrapping an arm around her waste and pressing a decidedly chaste kiss to her cheek. He still wasn't sure how... affectionate... she liked being when people could, you know, see them.

"Hey love. The fuck is going on out here? Everybody is running around like something big is about to happen."

Why had Jinx followed along and joined this extremist Dreadlord faction? Why not. The school had kept her caged up for years and Gilram had offered her freedom. True freedom. None of that fake freedom came with all the strings attached to it.

Jinx was currently enjoying herself, lounging about in a little pool of water that ran through the fort. This was nice. She could hear the sound of others moving about, looked like something was happening. Did she want to go? Sure, why not. It was a good chance to also speak with some former classmates. She had never gotten all the social times the others had, instead being confined.

She melted into water and then moved with swiftness along the floor before popping up next to Edric who was moving in the same direction as the others.

"Hmm, brooding appearance, scars, and incredible abs. You must be Edric. You're the real jewel in our little collection here, right? The one that kills people by looking at them. No, that's not it...I can't remember. I wasn't really paying attention."

Edric

Edric practically bounced away from the watery Dreadlord, moving as though he were expecting someone to stab a knife into his side.

An unreadable suite of emotions flickered over his head as instead of a knife he found an assault of words. Lips thinned almost instantly, but he let the girl press him. "No."

He agreed.

"Not by looking at them." In the back of his mind he noticed that old crawling paranoia. The one that told him to reveal as little as possible, the one that had been instilled for more than half of his life. "Edric."

The introduction was unnecessary, the girl already knew his name, but he wanted to know hers. Someone that knew him might have found that odd, even commented at it had they been here, but in that moment it wasn't so.

Edric was here for a reason. He knew why. He had made this choice. "Who are yo-"

Before he could finish a voice boomed out from the balconies above.

"I made you a promise." Edric's head snapped up back towards the fortress, looking high up on the wall to see Gilram standing above the courtyard. He looked down on the Assembled Dreadlords, those who had run with him and those who had been here before. "And I intend to keep that promise."

It was the first time that Edric had seen the Archon since their arrival. "I keep no prisoners, hold no ones leash. The choice is yours, but before you make it, I implore you to remember those who weren't at your side in those woods. Those who have not been allowed their choice. Those who never will because of the ones who failed you."

"Think of them, and if you so choose, fight with me."
He peered down at them, his gaze almost pleading. "But, the choice is yours. I will not force you into a war your friends, your kin, not if you do not wish to. Stay here, and be at peace. The gates of Anir will always open for you when we control them."

He smiled, a soft warm smile, almost grandfather. "If you wish to leave, I will have a guide lead you to safety, put gold in your pocket, and ensure the gates will open for you too."

Edric stared at him, searching, desperately searching for some sort of lie. Yet he could only see truth in the mans eyes.

"If you wish to stay, if you choose to fight, then thank you." Gilram continued. "This fight will not be an easy one, but it is one we will win."

He gestured. "If that is your choice, then please see my best. Duncan, Mae, and Ulrich."

Oh, the brooding bit had been right. She could feel his desire to pull away from her, but he did not...strange. She was about to introduce herself with a soft smile when the voice echoed across the fortress.

Jinx stood there listening, mouth slightly agape, as she took in every word that Gilram spoke. The offer of true freedom was tantalizing to even the best of Dreadlords, but to Jinx it was music to her ears.

She had been planning to leave this place as soon as the opportunity arose. As soon as the guards turned their back. This was why it was surprising to hear that Gilram had been telling the truth when he told them they could leave, even with gold. It was everything Jinx wanted, yet...

Something was stopping her. If she chose to flee, what was stopping Vel Anir from hunting her down and placing her back in her prison, just like they had done time and time again? If she stayed here, she could fight, but more importantly, she would be protected, and by an archon no less.

"Wow...he really knows how to give a good pep talk. It really just gets the blood flowing...I'm Jinx by the way. Don't worry if you don't remember me from the class. I did not get to go out much."
She explained with a mischievous smile.

Edric

Not only had Gilram given an enrapturing and inspiring speech but there had been hidden clues throughout it that were meant solely for her.
"I made you a promise. And I intend to keep that promise."

No doubt a reference to his deep, secretive, affection to her. Heart fluttered, her palms grew sweaty, and the realization that he truly loved her but was simply unable to show it to her.

"Stay here, and be at peace."

He wanted her to stay. Just her. What a romantic he could be! He could never show her outward affection and accomplish his goals. She knew that, it would make the other women, and some of the men, jealous. They had to appear outwardly as platonic friends even if inwardly they both felt the passion of love so deep that bards would be writing sonnets of them for millenia.

And finally there was the pièce de résistance, the coup de grâce of his entire sermon...

"please see my best. Duncan, Mae, and Ulrich."

He had paid special attention her name. She was certain of it. Mae didn't need anyone else to confirm her suspicions as she saw Gilram's vision travel across the entire crowd, lingering on each individual for a few seconds, but lingering on her gaze for but a second longer as he uttered her name. Her name had never been more beautiful than in those microseconds in which he'd spoken it.

Right. With that out of the way there was work to be done. After all, she was one of Gilram's best.

"My name is Mae Heilig," her words were warm and kind. A smile on her face the size of the moon. "Let's start with simple introductions. Oh, and we can field whatever questions you may have as well." Her hands clasped together like an antique doll as the man whose torso and legs were dressed like a mummy cleared his throat.

"Mae speaks true. Just your names and if you're comfortable with it a basic explanation of the kinds of magic you specialized in at the academy." He eyed every one of the new recruits directly before the cloth that surrounded him began to move. "My name is Duncan."

In a flash several strips of the cloth wrapped around the handles of daggers, axes, and short swords and hung in the air like an octopus wielding weapons of war. "I specialized in cloth manipulation. In my first few years at the academy the Proctors beat me senselessly and called my power a 'waste,' but it was Gilram who saw me for my potential."

He sheathed his weapons and let the cloth settle back to their original locations. "Mae?"

"We don't have to show off our abilities," the blonde woman protested, "and neither do any of you. Just an honest explanation will do."

"That's no fun though with a power like yours."

Her eyes rolled back into her skull. "Fine. Go ahead," her tone indicating that she very much didn't wish to flex her magical might just yet.

Duncan's face filled with mischief and a smirk shined across his face. "Don't blink kids or you'll miss it." He shot Mae a wink and then spoke in a slow, deliberate, tone. "I wish we all had a glass of very expensive champagne."

In an instant everyone present found themselves clutching a glass of sparkling Chateau de Vansire, Yellow Label. Likely the finest and rarest champagne in all of Vel Anir.

During the brief few seconds of fun and debauchery Mae had nearly forgotten about the little weasel beside her. Recently Gilram had, for reasons unknown to her, been working with the stupid wraith girl in secret.

What a harlot.

Moving about in closed doors with her man? Unacceptable. Mae had tried to simply ignore it but... no, now wasn't the time for such distractions. Before taking a sip of her champagne Mae cleared her throat and issued, "this is Chasmine," she gestured towards a somewhat translucent space, "she's like, a ghost or something?" With that Mae took a hearty sip of her drink, assuming the rest of the patrons would care very little for their spectral guest.

Last edited:
The transluscent spot shivered slightly like smoke in a breeze at Mae's gesture. What had been a cold, amoebic haze hanging near the older girl shifted forward slightly to form into the spectral figure of Chasmine Grey.

Bereft of the celebratory champagne, notably.

Her pale self gazed out upon the many familiar faces, brows lofting as the recognition finally settled in. Upon her ghostly face a small but weary smile settled in, "Thank you, Mae. Hello everyone..." She might've remarked that it was nice to see them all again, but their presence only dug up memories she rather wished to forget.

Living with Gilram and his crew had been nice. Chasmine had been welcomed, acknowledged, given purpose and protection. Now she worried things would go back to how they had been at the Academy when no one noticed her nor really even wanted her around.

Delaney was lost in her thoughts when she felt a strong arm wrap around her waist and a kiss pressed to her cheek. There he was. The person who made everything better.

"Hey love. The fuck is going on out here? Everybody is running around like something big is about to happen."

“Apparently we are supposed to be meeting some of Gilram’s people,” she answered with a smile as she leaned into Gaage’s hold more. She loved this man more than she could even express.

There was no more talk before the booming voice of the Archon filled the area. Her violet eyes snapped up to look at the man who had saved them all. Saved them from the lies of the Dreadlords and the Republic. Her hand came to rest on Gaage’s as they both stood there listening.

"If you wish to stay, if you choose to fight, then thank you. This fight will not be an easy one, but it is one we will win. If that is your choice, then please see my best. Duncan, Mae, and Ulrich."

The smiling girl, Mae, introduced herself before the man, Duncan, spoke.

One moment Mae and Duncan were having a conversation and the next there was a glass of champagne in her hand. She smiled and let out a small chuckle. She was quite a fan of this Mae’s power. Delaney took a sip from the glass and was surprised to find that it was a glass of good champagne. Intriguing.

The liquid in her glass wasn’t near as intriguing as the next introduction though. “Chas?!” Delaney cried out with a huge smile now. She had missed her friend very much and here she was. Alive (ish), safe, and here! “It is so great to see you!”

Since she had already been speaking, she continued with her introduction. “Hi, my name is Delaney Lennox and I control shadows…”

Gaage gave a smile back down to his lover, but to say there wasn't a little bit of a bitter taste hidden under his tongue would be a shitty attempt at a lie. Looking around at the peanut gallery that was starting to gather around for whatever this important little pow-wow was, the reality that he was a traitor was finally hitting
him.

Fuck, this shit sucks.

Well, Delaney was happy, and it'd been his choice to follow her. Least he could do was hear this Gill-whatever guy out. Soon enough the big man himself made himself known, standing on one of the balconies that hung over the yard. There it was again, as soon as he saw the guy, that little bug crawling around in the back of his brain. What was it about this guy that set his bells off? Delaney took ahold of his hand tightly, and his body relaxed a little bit. Nevertheless, Gilram's speech was met with a raised eyebrow from Eberwhit.

And it all sounded really peachy. Too peachy, really. Much like Edric, Gaage was looking for any holes in his speech, his body language... anything at all.

Nothing. Eberwhit was left frustrated and disbelieving as Gilram trotted out his top three, which-- Fuck, Gaage thought he and the others looked like a weird bunch. These three gave em' a run for their money. That Mae girl had a neat power though, he guessed. When a glass of champagne appeared from nowhere in the hand that wasn't entwined with Laney's, it took him by surprise, no doubt.

Didn't stop him from discreetly pouring his into Laney's glass whenever she drank a little bit, until he spilled the last bit upon Laney's sharp cry of joy from seeing... Chasmine?

"Lil' Iron Lung is here? Where the hell has she been all this time?" Gaage muttered idly to his lover, before realizing that all eyes had passed to him after Lennox's introduction.

"Oh, uh... I'm Gaage. I kill things. I can tear your stomach out through your throat, if you're into that kind of thing." Stomach through the throat was usually a tight fit though, never came out in one piece. "I'll spare you the demonstration, unless somebody's particularly eager."

The hell are they doing a sharing circle for? The only thing missing from the scene was a speaking ball for everybody to pass around, maybe one of those parchments with all the little smiley faces on them for different feelings.

"I don't remember much." Edric said to Jinx, though the truth was that up until eighteen months ago he hadn't really paid attention.

Before the Revolution he had been focused on one thing and one thing alone. There had been no need to study anyone he hadn't thought consequential. Most of his class hadn't mattered, they were just stepping stones for him.

Their faces flickering memories.

Now? Now it was so very different.

It was why he ignored the champagne suddenly in his hand, why the voices around him became somewhat faded when he saw Chas. Lips thinned almost instantly, and a flickering memory drew through his mind almost instantly. His expression faltered for just a brief moment, and he realized that doing what he had come here for would be a lot harder than he'd thought.

"And you?"

Edric felt the weight of a hand on his shoulder, his head whirling to see a man the size of a large bear standing there. Strange miscolored eyes stared down at him, completing a face half hidden by a beard which covered dozens of scars. For a moment the former Initiate simply stared, then replied. "I don't die."

The bear grinned wide. "I'll enjoy seeing that particular trick, lad."

"Ulrich, leave the kid be." Duncan called with a shake of his head, motioning towards the giant of a man to join him and Mae. "Now we're-"

"Enough of that yammering, Dunc." Ulrich said as he stepped through the crowd, pushing to the front and sidling up besides Chas. "You lot come from a place that just told you everything's different now, and well maybe it was. I didn't stick around to find out, but this place is different in a different way. You're not students, you're not children or soldiers or whatever nonsense The Republic would have you believe. You're Dreadlords, you're family."

He smiled wide "Just ask Chasybee here."

The Bear said, emphatically gesturing towards the ghost.

"Eloquent, as ever." Remarked Duncan. "We're going to spend the next few days testing you. Each one of us, setting a benchmark for where you are physically and mentally, and when you're ready..."

He trailed off, and it was only then that Edric realized glass in his hand was shaking. Gripped so tightly a crack had began to flow through it's side.

"Oh, it-"

Jinx never got to finish her sentence or introduce herself. She was cut off by the appearance of a drink in her hand. Hell yeah, that was what she called magic.

She took a sip of the drink quickly about to enter back into the conversation, but she never got the chance thanks to the large bear of a man that appeared in between her and Edric. Oh ok, guess she was just going to get ignored. This drew a small pout to her face as her attention focused back on the people talking.

If they were family though, then what were they being tested for? If she failed was she going to be expected to do some lame insignificant tasks while all the people that passed the test got to do something cool? It tooled like there were a few strings attached then, even if they wanted them to think otherwise.

It did not matter to Jinx, either way. If she was going to be tested then she would just win. Anything to allow her to keep moving around wherever she wanted to go.

She heard a small crack and looked down to Edric's hand. She looked up with a mischievous smirk.

"Hmm, looks like no drink for you. If I did not know any better, I would say you were angry." She whispered so that only Edric could hear.

Edric

Interesting. So they had a shadow manipulator, an organ (and likely flesh) manipulator, and apparently a kid who claims he can't die? Not to mention little Chasybee's creepy ghost stuff, Mae merely rolled her eyes at Ulrich's intrusion. "We're all quite welcoming." The distaste in Ulrich's boisterous introduction immediately vanished from her face.

"And what about you?" Mae said expectedly towards the red-haired boy who'd remained silent this entire time.

He cleared his throat and then spoke in a confident voice, "I'm Fermin. I have the lucky gift of seeing the future."

"Phfewwh," Duncan gave a sharp whistle and crossed both arms with a nod, "foresight is a nifty parlor trick to possess."

It went on like that down the line. One girl, Talea, could control minds. Another of Gilram's new disciples could apparently heat and chill objects. He'd be useful if they wanted to re-heat that stew from the evening before or maybe if someone's champagne became too warm.

Once they had all spoken Mae's smile grew even larger. Gilram had always said that these new introductions should be as friendly as possible and, seeing as he always knew best, she was intent on making every single one of them feel as comfortable as possible. "Thank you all, it's great to meet you. I'm sure in the coming weeks we'll all be excellent friends."

Duncan spoke next. "There were no wrong answers by the way. We just want to make sure that if we have a job that needs doing the right Dreadlords are sent. Makes it more efficient, and safer, for everyone."

"That's right. Back at the academy you'd be sent out on a mission and paired up for similar reasons. Only back there the Proctors were very hush-hush about the process. Under Gilram the logic behind who's going where and why is always explained," she was practically beaming as she spoke his wonderful name, "and of course, you can always decline for whatever reason."

A stark difference from their lives back in Vel Anir.

• Bless
Reactions: Chasmine
“Chas?!” Delaney cried out with a huge smile now. She had missed her friend very much and here she was. Alive (ish), safe, and here! “It is so great to see you!”

The flicker of a faint smile showed on the ghost's visage. Chasmine offered Delaney a small, uncertain wave from her hand that hung at her hip. It was nice to see one of the only friendly faces from the Academy here, but Delaney seemed much changed and not at all herself. Made Chas wonder about a lot of things.

Enough of that yammering, Dunc. Ulrich said as he stepped through the crowd, pushing to the front and sidling up besides Chas. You lot come from a place that just told you everythings different now, and well maybe it was. I didnt stick around to find out, but this place is different in a different way. Youre not students, youre not children or soldiers or whatever nonsense The Republic would have you believe. Youre Dreadlords, youre family.

He smiled wide Just ask Chasybee here.

The Bear said, emphatically gesturing towards the ghost.

Ulrich would feel the cold presence at his side shift back toward him just slightly at the mention. The large man had been exceptionally welcoming to her and one of the friendliest presences here after Gilram himself. Chas looked up at him, a warm smile showing. Yes, it was true, these people had become the closest to family Chasmine had known in many years and she was grateful every day for following Gilram's call here.

"It's nothing like the Academy," she remarked in agreement.

Though she would not be so quick to call this place her home.

Chas let her gaze wander across the faces below and settled upon Edric's. Though every single Initiate of their year had some terrifying memories of their encounters with him, only one memory played through her mind. Her smile vanished, she regarded him with a growing sense of forgotten anxiety.

For some reason, she felt as though his presence here, along with the others from her class, would ruin everything.