Quest Frozen with Fear

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar

Isaias Kildare

The Juggernaut, Mithril Class Adventurer
Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

The office for the Adventurers Guild was fairly unoccupied. the office had a counter where the clerks sorted through contracts and paperwork, but the rest of the office was filled with tables and chair and benches for those who chose to wait around the guild for new jobs to come up. There were perhaps five people seated there in total, low ranked adventurers waiting for a proper contract to fund their next stint in the taverns.

Isaias Kildare was not one of these. He recently arrived in Elbion to check with the guild office and see what contracts were available that warranted his abilities. He's an older man. Though not elderly. In a world like this men tended to not live very long. And those who did were often feared and respected for their wisdom and skills. But for his size nobody would ever consider his age in any negative light. He was a very large man, obviously well muscled and stood well over the heads of most men. His long hair was kept in a ponytail, and though not gray it was getting there, and his thick but short cropped beard was shod with steely gray. He wore a long hooded brown cloak and functional studded leather armor with iron bracers. He has a long sword in its sheath at his side and a round shield on his back, slung over his backpack.

proxy.php

He walked into the office and approached the billboard before inquiring at the counter.
"Excuse me miss. Are there any contracts available for a mithril class Adventurer?"
He showed her the little identification badge of mithril around his neck.
"I will check, would you please take a seat, sir?"
Isaias nodded and went to take a seat. Placing his bag and shield on the floor under him as he found a bench for him to relax on. Leaning against the wall he pulled his hood down over his face and waited for the clerk to call for him.

Last edited:
Somewhere outside of Elbion....

The tea was hot to the lips and smelled of savory chamomile, lemongrass, some ginger, and peppermint among other ingredients. A scroll lay in front of the man as he read over its contents. An older woman stood next to him and an older gentleman sat across from him, heartily sipping the tea. "So? What do you think?" The woman asked. The man ran his hand through his already disheveled and oddly-coloured azure hair, "I suppose." The man across the table spoke up, much louder than the other two, "It may not be the most exciting thing you've done, but think about it this way, Azlum, at least you're gettin' paid, aye?" The man laughed a deep laugh and sipped more of the tea. Azlum looked to the woman, "You'll send this in for me?" She shook her head while still smiling, "No dear, your Grandfather will." Azlum looked over to his Grandfather, the incredibly bulky and complete opposite of Azlum winked, "Aye, it's gonna be me this time." He said with another laugh. "Don't get lost this time." Azlum said before taking a sip of tea.

Outside the day was a bit sunny, clouds were in the air and the breeze felt great coming from the east from the mountains. Azlum Yngrim checked his map and knew exactly which roads to take to get to his destination. His Grandmother exited the tent after him and gave him a bag, "This is from your Grandfather. It's dried meat, great for a light meal or two." He nodded at her and stuck the bag in his own satchel. His hood was up and eyes looked in the direction of Elbion, it was years since he had been this close to the city and he didn't want to go near it at all. However, the pay was nice this time around and it seemed as though whatever monster was doing this would be a fun one to take down by himself. He looked forward to the challenge, and perhaps his death.

His Grandfather burst out of the tent and walked towards one of the two horses he had. Not a small man by any means, his Grandfather was a monster of a man. He was taller than Azlum and much more muscular even in his old age. He looked back at Azlum and smiled, "Ya know, if ya don't smile every once in a while yer face will stay like that." He laughed once more and climbed atop the horse. Azum shrugged, "Who says it hasn't already?" Another deep laugh from the old man and he rode close to Azlum, "That's true. Alright don't stare at me too long with them purple eyes, boy. Come on, I'll take you as close as I can by horse before we part ways." Azlum sighed and climbed onto the horse before his Grandfather let out a loud, "Hah!" and the horse took off down the road.

Amidst the warriors, rogues, and hunters stood out a slight figure. A half elf-half nymph. Her figure was slight and lithe, clothed in loose and flowing fabric that exposed her arms and slits that exposed her legs. Sterling hair tousled around petite and delicate features whilst large eyes busied themselves with inspecting the new copper badge that had come with her application to the guild.

She did not look as if she belonged, perched politely near the counter, others casting side-eyed gazes of curiosity or annoyance her way. Others were drawn in by her ethereal appearance, unable to keep their eyes away for more than a few moments. She seemed to pay none of these looks any mind, instead, her attention pulled as Isaias approached, asking for work.

There had been no jobs for an adventurer of her novice level, her elongated ears listening intently as she allowed the badge to rest against her collar.

The clerk returned to her station and called out his name.
"Mister Kildare?"

A five minute nap, that was a record for him. He stood up from his bench, picked up his gear, and approached the desk. He glanced at the slight looking elf sitting nearby. Just a rudimentary assessment told him she was probably a magic user.
The clerk handed him a contract and gave him a brief verbal summary of the situation.
One or more dangerous lizards with many legs and a petrifying gaze praying on travelers from the ruins near the road.

Just that description alone told him what he was dealing with. He took the contract and read over the details. There was a pretty high reward for this one, and he might have trouble going in by himself if there was really more than one of these creatures.
He turned to the room full of waiting or expectant adventurers. Some of these adventurers knew him, or recognized him by the name the clerk called. So many eyes were on him. It was customary for anyone who needed help with a contract to announce it in front of those in the guild, making an offer up front of how they would split the reward since they took the contract.

He held up the contract for all to see, "One hundred gold for two who would follow me to kill a nest of Basilisks."
Most adventurers sighed and turned away. One Basilisk maybe... But two? more? a nest? Isaias called it a nest even though he knew Basilisks were solitary creatures that would only travel in a pair with their mate if they traveled together at all. But two Basilisks was still too dangerous for the lower ranked adventurers to handle, and he didn't want to bring these people just to die. And he wanted two to follow him to give him some diversity of skills that can be made use of. But with this reaction he would be lucky to get anyone.

• Yay
Reactions: Azlum Yngrim
Somewhere still outside of Elbion...

The two rode on for what seemed to be possibly an hour, but soon the horse slowed and Azlum's Grandfather looked back at him, "Sorry Young'n. This is where our paths fork." Azlum nodded silently and jumped down from the horse, grabbing anything he thought he would need. "I understand what yer feelin' lad." His Grandfather spoke to him, "Ya need to make yerself a better future and not obsess over dying. You're so young! Why, when I was yer age I had just met yer- Hey! Where are ya goin'!?" Azlum had started to walk away while he was talking, "I'm leaving. Thanks for the meat." He called over his shoulder and never looked back.

"Damn kid." His Grandfather muttered under his breath and spurred the horse once more, taking off the opposite way.

Azlum could see the walls of Elbion in the distance, they looked beautiful as they always had. He silently longed to go back, but knew that doing so would be a fate worse than death. In the back of his mind a voice crept up, My boy, you long to see Elbion again?. Azlum rolled his eyes and spoke aloud, "I don't need you to comment on my every thought. Begone." The voice chuckled but stayed right where it was, You know these Basilisks won't be a problem for someone like you, right? Especially if you just let go. Just let me take control for a bit. Shaking his head, Azlum once more spoke aloud, "Not gonna happen. Now leave." The voice feigned sadness but laughed as it crept back from where it came in the dark depths of the young mage's mind.

The road was long and only seemed to get longer as Azlum walked to an unexpected adventure...

A steely blue gaze caught her figure, encouraging an enthusiastic smile from the elf as the lumbering man approached the desk at the call of his name. She watched intently as he grasped the parchment from the clerk, sliding inconspicuously closer. Step by step. Her eyes flickering over to him, and then away, and then back.

"Basilisks??" Her voice was ripe with excitement, her eager grin tightening into a silencing line as her voice rang out against the quiet before his own could. She gave an apologetic chuckle, rubbing the back of her neck with humorous embarrassment as he made his offer.

"I've never seen one of those but I've heard they're quite venomous." She stepped closer, moving with a flow and grace that spoke of her capabilities as a dancer towards Isaias.
"I am Fèlen, if you'd consider me, I could be of use to you on this quest."

Isaias took note of the elf girls interest, even before he gave his offer. when the little elf girl stepped forward Immediately he could see a grace to her walk that bespoke of some past as a dancer. He looked her up and down. She was of course immortally attractive, as all elves are, but he was looking at her hands, what kind of callouses she had, what her body was built to do, what sort of life she had lived and what she could potentially do in a fight that he can take into consideration.

He didn't look unkindly on her, but perhaps a bit critically, since to him elves were very difficult to appraise in this manner since their bodies retain very little effects of age or exposure to the world. All he could figure her for initially was a magic user, and he couldn't see much to tell him otherwise on a second look.
He folded up the contract and put it in his bag.

"Felen, is it? If you don't mind talking and walking could you tell me about your skills?"
He shouldered his gear and began moving toward the door, expecting her to follow if she were interested.

• Yay
I think you should take a break, my boy. The voice suddenly returned in Azlum's mind. He had been walking for quite some time now but his thoughts were still trained on getting this job done and over with. "I don't want a break. I'm fine." To a passerby he must've seemed crazy, rolling his eyes and speaking aloud angrily. He still a lot of traveling left to do, and he wanted to find a nearby town to investigate and get statements first. Come ooooon. The voice begged him, Look, there's a spot over there with some nice shade, we can take a little break and then keep going. Azlum growled irritably, "You're acting like a child right now."

The shade did look comfortable, though.

"Fine." He sighed, "Only for a little bit. Why do you even care? You can't enjoy resting anymore." The voice almost sounded genuinely hurt this time,
I can't believe you said that. I just want my vessel to be in good condition. Azlum rolled his eyes as he sat down and leaned against the large tree that seemed to be the first of many as it looked to open up into a forest. Looking at the map revealed that, that was indeed the case. The wind blew through the trees and into his resting area and it felt very nice, taking the opportunity he decided to try some of the meat his Grandfather made. Azlum took a bite and cursed to himself, "I hate to say it, the old man knows what he's doing." The meat was chewy and tough, but not tough enough to require too much chewing. As Azlum leaned against the tree, his eyes slowly closed and he slipped away into a light sleep.

• Yay
Reactions: Isaias Kildare
She was tall and slight with the feminine curves of a matured woman. Her flesh was porcelain, free of any mar or mark, her hands without callous as it had been some time since she had the need to bear a weapon. Any injury that would have been inflicted in the past had been touched by her magic, healing it beyond scarring. She was petite with slender shoulders, though evidence of muscle tone could be seen on her form.

She eagerly followed the mythril adventurer, faintly skipping with the first step in excited anticipation.

"My mother was a wood nymph, I've trained myself in harnessing the ability to grow things and use it for healing." She explained. This was just the surface of the half-nymph's abilities, but she did not want to drone on with her capabilities.

Isaias nodded as he walked through the streets of Elbion with the elf girl skipping behind. They looked like a giant and a fairy marching through the city.
He spoke back to her as they walked, "A druid then? That's a unique ability. And we should have good use of your abilities once we get near the ruin. It's based well within the forest and the road passes close to it."
He pulled out the contract and handed it back to her. It had details on the location.

"The serpentine Basilisks are venomous. That is correct. But this kind has many legs and no venom. And if you make eye contact with it you will be turned to stone... Unless you have some charm or other magical protection from hostile magic."
They exited the city on foot by the front gate, the ruins were well within a days journey and they can make it on foot by nightfall.
"It is very rare for two basilisks to travel together. They are not immune to their own gaze or the gaze of another Basilisk. But it does happen from time to time when two Basilisks come together to mate."

A druid could be useful, she gave only a little bit of detail, but having the forest as a weapon could be used to their advantage. She can slow the monsters down while he keeps them busy. It was too bad they couldn't get a third person, maybe someone who had more ranged abilities that could offer support from afar.

Isaias traveled at a leisurely but quick pace. There was a specific reason he wanted to get there by nightfall. If it's dark, then one cannot make eye contact with a dangerous monster...

• Yay
Azlum awoke with a shock. He wasn't having a pleasant dream. He looked around at his surroundings and remembered where he was and why. The sun had gotten much lower in the sky, almost not even there, and Azlum cursed to himself, he slept for too long and now he had to hurry and find a village to ask questions about the basilisks. He gathered his things and stood up, there was some walking to do still before he reached any sort of civilization.

The entrance to the forest opened almost ominously, the trees looked like pillars holding the sky up as the darkness took shelter under its blanket of stars. Azlum enjoyed the sight for a moment thinking that he was lucky that he was alone and seeing such a marvelous sight. Such a beautiful sight. Now let's go kill some big snakes. The voice chimed in at the wrong moment, ruining Azlum's perfect scene. However, his perfect scene would've been ruined regardless as footsteps approached him from behind. Of all the times, why now? Azlum turned to face whoever it was, expecting more mercenaries or assassins that were sent out after him from someone he had made enemies with.

• Yay
They walked for a while and as the shadows began to lengthen Isaias noticed a man walking ahead of them just before the forest began. He wore a dark robe which wasn't suspicious, but when he noticed people behind him turned as if expecting someone to attack him. Isaias didn't change his pace but hailed him while still a good ways off by raising his hand to him and walked straight up to the man, he didn't reach for a sword or remove his shield from his back or purposely make any threatening gestures. Not many people would be going into the forest alone at night without a bag laden with supplies. So he wanted to know more.

"Hail, friend. What brings a man to the forest this late in the evening?"
He stopped a good ten feet from the man, a respectful distance when meeting a stranger on the road.

• Yay
There had been the twitch of a smile as Isaias called her a druid. It was new, though she was not sure if the title fully fit. She did not dwell too heavily on it, following along as she twisted and pulled at long pieces of sterling hair.

As the timbres of the forest green closer, so too did a stranger of the same conviction as them, clad in cloth just as she was. She fell in evenly with her partner as he came to a pause and called out to the mage, her demeanor friendly and curious.

Her head cocked slightly, his features looking faintly familiar, but she could not place the memory in her mind.

• Yay
Reaching out his mind, Azlum knew that the pair were of no harm to him and he allowed himself to relax. The taller of the two called to him and he quietly and bluntly answered back, "I could ask you the same."

The girl to his side cocked her head curiously. The action caused him to look at her dourly, she seemed friendly but something seemed off about her as if she was also searching his face for an answer to a question she had brewing in her mind. His attention turned once more to the man who spoke to him this time expanding upon his initial answer, "I'm in search of a village to investigate about some basilisks. And you?"

• Yay
Isaias felt no need to hide their mission, especially since they were on the road to the same objective. He drew slightly closer.
"It seems our separate paths blur into one, friend. We're adventurers from the guild on the same mission as yours and we're down a man. We can join forces and deal with the monsters together, split the profits and come away all the better for it."

He extended his hand to the magic user, "I'm Isaias Kildare, and this is Felen. If you intended to take on the monsters on your own then we could probably use your talents. I'm offering a hundred gold for any who would take on this mission as well. Would you join us?"

• Yay