Completed From Templar to Templar

Skuld Zajac

Former Templar
Character Biography
Link
Skuld had made her camp as best she could, swirling thoughts stopping her mid action at times while trying to setup her tent. The last shelter had burned in what could be called a siege upon the Templar palisade. Thankful that only her tent had been lost to the attack, she had been lucky that another templar in her own order came equipped with a spare to the Savannah expedition. After returning their kindness with a few potions, Skuld was still getting accustomed to the new canvas as her thoughts kept being interrupted by the item that was about her neck, just beneath the gambeson.

The small token weighed heavily on her since the fall of their palisade, and her assisted descent from the watchtower. A few more close calls had begun to make her keenly aware of her mortality. She had only begun to know the man who had caught her attention and heart, as she wondered at length as to her future among the order. She wanted to continue helping the order, but her thoughts kept coming back to Keiran. To her own feelings.

It made her ill to think of her own passing in the field, or any further injuries that might stop her from seeing Keiran once more. With her tent half set, she broke away for the commanders tent. Some other members of the Black Rose watched her, almost calling to her before moving to finish her tent for her.

The camp was spread out enough to allow for a sense of privacy, but no one was so far flung as to be easily separated from the main body of the force. Her own order had camped close to her claimed ground, a few mingling with Saul's company after companionably working together on their last venture.

The commanders tent was not terribly far away from her, a small nod to wanting the order captains so close for easy dispersion of commands should the need arise. While they were together, the orders still seemed beholden to their own singular commanders. Which was something they were slowly working on since cooperation was still the overall goal. Skuld had been working within her own order, one ranked just beneath her to learn how to conduct their company. To also quietly replace her should she get permission from the commander to take leave.

Their camp was close enough to Alliria that Skuld had not donned her armor, instead choosing her gambeson and breeches for her garb as she marched toward the tent she had become so familiar with. Nodding to the posted guards, she briskly entered without announcing herself, hoping she wasn't disturbing anything as she looked about the interior.

• Yay
Reactions: Saul Talith
There was a map on the table, one that Saul was pouring over as Skuld entered the small tent.

The attack against them had been a surprising one, more so because of it's origin. It had taken a bit to piece things together, but once he'd recognized the Fire-Giant things had come into picture for him.

Saul still had no idea why any spawn of Melanus would come this far south, but he'd sent a missive to the Blightland's Templar telling them what had occurred. He doubted they would do much with the knowledge, though there was always a chance they would at least send a courier.

For now though he wasn't too concerned with the fact. For whatever reason their attackers hadn't bothered to pursue them, and the only real loss they'd taken had been a few canvas tents.

Not too bad really.

When he heard the tent flap fall open Saul's head snapped up, his armor rattling slightly as he unconsciously reached for his sword. "Ah."

The Commander clicked his tongue.

"Sorry about that." Saul said as he released the hilt of his sword. "Still a bit jumpy."

They all were.

• Yay
Reactions: Skuld Zajac
When the commander jumped at her arrival, she locked eyes with the man for that brief second of adrenaline filled reaction they both shared. Her muscles had prepared her to jump out of the way, but she knew well the man was a more than capable combatant and likely would have at least caught her with the last bit of his steel. She should have been more careful about barging in, but her own thoughts were making it troublesome to make such rational decisions.

From the map in front of him suggested that he was trying to figure something out, or perhaps had figured something out and was merely confirming it. Either way, it drew her full attention for the time as she addressed the commander.

"My apologies, I should have announced myself. Something troubling you?" Skuld motioned to the map and tried to work past the moment of surprise.

• Yay
"Just the times." Saul commented quietly. "Just the times."

If asked he couldn't have explained what he meant, hell he didn't even know himself. It was a feeling in his gut, an odd thing settling in his stomach.

As if something were lurking just beyond his view. "What do you need?"

Saul didn't want to seem curt, but his mind was elsewhere. They had taken back the Chapter House in Alliria, they had consolidated with the other Orders, but there was still much to do. He wanted to reoccupy some of the fortresses, he wanted to turn up recruitment.

There was so much to do, and so little time to do it in.

• Yay
"I..." Skuld began, her mouth staying open a moment longer before she made herself tight lipped. It felt almost wrong doing this to her brothers and sisters after they had all come together. Felt like she was betraying them somehow, but the scars that riddled her body kept her pushing forward.

"I have a personal matter, to discuss actually." Skuld finally admitted. The words almost caught in her throat, and she felt uncomfortable standing there before the man. His attention wasn't even fully on her yet, but even just being this close to asking was making her fidget.

Saul looked up from the map, cocking an eyebrow. "Personal matter?"

He could see that Skuld was somewhat nervous, her body seemed to fidget, but he couldn't help but feel some amusement at the situation. A chuckle passed from his lips.

"I'm afraid you've come to the wrong place." The Commander smiled. "I haven't had personal matter since I was seventeen."

That wasn't exactly true of course. There was that whole thing with Ana, but...well he hadn't exactly handled it well. Not for the lack of trying, but he just wasn't the best when it came to that sort of thing. Words were very hard, and emotions even more so. Talking to him about that sort of thing was inviting disaster.

• Yay
When he replied with with his own question, it got a raised brow from her. Then he gave his answer, to which Skuld shook her head with a slight laugh. Eyeing the commander for a breaths time, she wondered if that response wasn't held up like some sort of shield.

"Is there someone else you would rather I talk to? I thought I should at least come to you first with the matter." Skuld remarked, seeming a bit wary now. The Commander had shown quite a bit of wisdom on the field, but began to wonder as to his personal life a bit.

• Yay
"No no." He waved.

Valerie might have been better at giving advice for this sort of thing, but if Skuld felt that he should know then he would try to help as best as he could. There was no guarantee of course, but he could try.

"I can listen at least." The Commander told her. "Sometimes i've found that to be enough."

Something Ana had taught him.

When he offered to at least listening to her, the nerves seemed to settle a bit. She glanced at the man before stepping further into the tent, casting a look toward the flap after remembering the two guards. She was already feeling awkward about having to bring it to the commanders attention, she wasn't ready for other Templars to know what resided in her heart.

Once she was comfortably away from the tent flap, she began to speak. "Recent brushes with death have made me, question what I've done with my life." her gaze was locked on the floor while she spoke.

"I know all of us have these moments, but-" Skuld took a deep breath and continued. "I have someone expecting my return. I don't know what to do."

Avoiding the man's gaze was hard when she wanted so dearly to guage his reaction before he spoke. Her face was clearly red as she spoke of someone waiting for her and her uncertainty about what she should do.

• Yay
"Danger is part of what we do." Saul began quietly, fingers pressing against the table top for a few moments as he considered his words carefully.

Surprisingly, this was a problem that he could speak on. The Templar of the Broken Sword, at least those surrounding him, were close to one another. In particular there was a set that had grown up with one another in the same training class. Ten of them originally, though only nine now.

They were a family of sorts, as odd as that sounded.

A bond tied them together, and it was that bond that allowed Saul to relate to Skuld's feelings. "Most of us have accepted that we'll die doing this."

His knuckles pressed against the table, knocking gently.

"But." He shook his head. "That doesn't make it easy."

Saul sighed, realizing that he hadn't exactly said anything helpful. "How long have you been a Templar?"

• Yay
Nodding silently to his comment, she knew that his response was coming. It was part of their creed. Part of everything they trained to do.

"I knew when I took up the mantle. I still know it, and I used to welcome giving my life for the cause. But it has become harder to accept that death so readily with someone waiting."

He asked for how long she had been a templar, and she gave it a moment of thought. "Twelve years if I remember clearly. Maybe thirteen. Training time was a bit wonky. Why do you ask?"

• Yay
"I've been a Templar since I was eight years old." He commented quietly.

It wasn't like he was bragging or anything, simply making a point.

"Same goes for Ana, some of the others." The Commander nodded his head for a second, then slowly continued. "A lot of us have never experienced a life outside of the Order. We don't know what it means, and most of our bonds aren't to those on the outside."

His fingers tapped on the table. "I don't think there's anything wrong with exploring the life outside of it."

Especially when there are doubts.

Skuld was a little astonished to learn the commander had been with the templar from such a young age. She had heard that he had been with them for some time, but her understanding had been that he had joined. Not that he had lived and breathed the order since childhood.

Learning that some others had been raised as such made sense now, with how she had seen them work together. Raised and trained together made for a strong unit, and even stronger loyalty and trust between them all.

Most in her own order had joined later in their life. They worked together well enough, but seeing the broken swords work had been quite an astonishing sight. The knowing that they could depend on each other was something that had awestruck Skuld.

Her gaze was sharply on him at his comment about life outside the order, thinking on his words before giving a reply.

"I don't want to abandon you all with what has been happening of late. But I wanted to make clear, I do have something that weighs on me heavily. That might affect decisions I make for myself, and for those around me." She was honest with the man. A heavy sigh punctuating the admittance of what felt like a failing resolve.

"I've known this life for so short a time compared to you, but I was ready to lay my life on the line for everyone here. To make sure my brothers and sisters got back safely. And now-"
her lips drew tight again, her eyes falling to the ground.

She shook her head to dismiss the train of thoughts her last words tried to go on. This wasn't what she had planned on saying, wasn't what she had wanted to express. Looking up to him, her eyes searched him for a brief second looking for something that she wouldn't find.

"I won't ever be anything other than a templar. I'll always be at the ready should anyone call for me, but, I want more than just this life sir." it almost felt shameful to her, talking of what she wanted to a person so dedicated to the order.

Shd knew well what she had agreed to when she had swore her oaths. Yet here she was, feeling like she was leveling a knife into everyone's back. Dropping her shield and running like a coward.

• Yay
"In truth. That is a conversation you must have with your own Chapter." Saul said patiently, smiling slightly.

In Broken Sword there was no in betweens, you were either in or you were out. A few had tried to make it work with just one foot, but it never ended well. Saul had come to the Chapter long after they had enacted the now ancient laws that forbid such things, though he could see the reason for it.

A life, anything outside of the Chapter was a distraction.

In a weird way he could understand that, but he also hated it. Those you loved made you stronger, or at least they should have. They gave you stability and a reason to act. The rules were there to keep the Templar in the chapter, but they also limited them.

That was perhaps why marriage and relationships within the Broken Sword was still allowed. Just not with anyone outside the Order.

"I can only say that I understand." He nodded slowly. "And you will be welcome among my ranks."

At least, those he would need to call upon.

• Yay
She nodded at the affirmation of what she had found out from others. The need to speak with her own having already been something that was addressed as they had tried to figure out who best to replace her with. The ways of the Black Rose were well taught within the chapter, but certain things would have to trade hands with her leaving. Responsibilties that were closely guarded, knowledge of their alchemy that Skuld had learned the hard way.

"I have spoken with my chapter. Most are content to allow me this chance. A few senior members are angry but understand. They agreed with me to continue working toward your goals, but they are all a bit stubborn in their ways." Skuld remarked with a small smile. She had been an unlikely figurehead in the pursuit of working together with the other chapters.

With her leaving, the notion of breaking off from the main body had been an idea that she had quickly tamped down, citing that long term the unification would help all of them.

The person taking her role was in for a hard time, trying to keep their bunch in line while working alongside the other chapters. But she had no doubts about their continued effort to remain with the whole of the order.

"I will make sure to inform you of my whereabouts should you need to call upon me. To be clear, I would be rejoining under your hand directly if you should need me." Skuld informed him, the weight of her decision had become much easier now that what felt like the worst of it had been cleared.

"I'll keep an ear to the ground if you should need it as well. I may be pursuing my own goal, but if I can continue to help in some small way, I will gladly do so." she added, as she would have continued to help quietly, regardless of telling him.

• Yay
He nodded. "Alright."

What else was there to say?

Broken Sword was as of yet it's own Chapter, and while he was slowly moving towards reconciliation things were still...difficult at best with the others. It would take time for everyone to come together, morefor them to actually work without flare ups that often happened.

"In a months time I'll be occupying one of the old fortresses." The Commander spoke slowly. "I will invite all Chapters to send a Garrison."

He slowly added. "You should be there."

• Yay
A months time was enough to send letters. To better prepare the man taking over for her in the chapter. To get everything arranged for her departure.

"We will remain with you until the fortress is occupied. After that time, we will leave a garrison, and I will then take my leave" Skuld informed him.

• Yay
Saul nodded his head. "Very well."

It sounded an agreeable enough compromise.

Now he just had to choose which fortress to actually occupy. Over the centuries the Templar had created many of them, some as large as cities and others as small as hillforts. His own advisers had tended to the former, mostly because it offered room for expansion.

Of course the primary reason he was doing this was for protection.

The attack on the Outpost, as well as the sinister tidings from the east, had many more than just him Paranoid. They needed a bulwark, someplace that would be safe. The larger and more defensible the better.

• Yay
When he didn't say which fortress, her head cocked as while eyes glanced over the map.

"Is there an issue with which hold to take?" Skuld inquired quietly. Now that her issue was settled, she was more than eager to speak on other things. Choosing a location for the whole of the Templars to work out of was likely a daunting task, and even with advisers, sometimes the simplest answers were missed or looked over.

• Yay
"Not an issue." He said quietly. "Just a decision."

There were plenty of options.

Most of the city states had abandoned all but the greatest and most important holds. Vel Anir held a few fortresses outside of their city, the Allirian City Watch maintained a few Sea Forts, and of course Elbion had their mage towers scattered around the countryside, but a great many citadels lay abandoned.

A good chunk of those had belonged to the Templar. "Three in particular."

"Here, where we first reached the accord." The Massive Templar fortress that would in it of itself be a challenge to even occupy. "Livia, here at the edge of the Falwood."

A fortress that had once been used to combat Dark Elves. "And The Vale at the edges of the Step."

• Yay
A decision, which still presented trouble since this would dictate how easily they could respond to threats across the area as a whole.

"Most of the current threats are still centralized in the east. But-" Skuld pointed to the area she had been told was Molthal. "Molthal is a recurring issue. Likely the orders need to be flexible while stationed."

"The Accord would be almost impossible to keep without most all the Templars there, but it is the best place. Holding in a proper siege would likely be difficult also."
Skuld noted as she scrutinized the map.

• Yay
"Molthal is still under watch by the Blightlands Templar." Saul said quietly. Now there was a group whom he would have loved to have on board. They cared not for mages, monsters, or anything of the sort. They were a stern watcher towards the evil of the Blight, using whatever tactics they had to.

Though they slaughtered werewolves, Vampires, and of course Undead, there were rumors in the past that the Chapter had held both Necromancers and Blood Mages at one point.

Anything to stand against the tide. "They have their own fortress. One I doubt they would welcome us in."

He mused.

"Politics will play into this as much as strategy." Saul said simply.

• Yay
The frown on her face deepened. Politics. Something that she had never even tried to get her mind wrapped around.

"The safety of the lands, held up because someone doesn't want the vast swath of land they somehow have claim to, snatched away. Pah!" Skuld hissed. The comment represented about as much as she understood about the whole matter.

• Yay
The Blightland Templar weren't so much protecting their own land as they were batting away what they saw as incompetence. Likely the only other Templar they would accept would be those form Vel Anir or the Falwood.

Dangerous bunch. "There are also those Templar who will see this as an affront to the past. They will argue that we are committing sacrilege."

Saul frowned.

"This has...difficulty to it." He shrugged. "But I've enough support now that I can pull it off."

As long as he made the right choice

• Yay
Her own frown remained, even through the chewing of her lip as he explained. "Holding onto the past is dangerous if one doesn't learn the lessons it holds. Your decision and action I pray goes smoothly if there are some so strongly opposed to such a thing."

She knew well enough the draw for power was tough when it came to wrangling the other orders into agreeing to even meet in one place. Never mind travelling as they were now. It showed a decent amount of faith in the man and his ideas from all of them involved in this march.

"I don't see it as sacrilege trying to secure the future of the people." Skuld waved her hand a bit as if dismissing the thoughts, politics was her least favorite discussion, and always made her irritable. Her views on those that made a career out of arguing were very poor, tending to the hit first, ask questions later way of life.

• Yay