Letters From a book to a book.

Roleplay dedicated to correspondence type roleplays such as letters.

Severin Bellerose

Drunken Scholar
Elbion College
Character Biography
Link
Belduhr, It has been a while!
Months now since the last letter and don't tell me, I hope the rumours about ghouls are not true.
I've just been aching to hear from you just how your workshop went through. Are you printing already? If yes, what are the books you currently have handy, has that poet, Kellin Vyrd gone to publishing his work through you yet? I'd like to add some to my collection, prefferably a good one that would fit well in. Some prose or good poetry, there is always room for that.

Stay safe and best regards,
Severin Bellerose

• Yay
Reactions: Belduhr Brighthand
Warm greetings Severin,
Sadly, whatever rumors have reached you by now have most likely become harshly underwhelming. The wind is rampant with talk of whole villages being turned into ghouls. None have dared come near though, so I am grateful for that small blessing.

We have not yet begun printing. Most are skeptical of the what they believe to be a waste of good materials. The naysayers hairs will curl and split once we get the press operating properly. It has taken quite a bit of refining to get as far as we have. No one has approached yet. My little sister says to give it time.

To you the same, friend,
Belduhr Brighthand

• Yay
Reactions: Severin Bellerose
Stay safe, I hope the issue with the ghouls gets resolved soon. Are there any templar orders stationed around there? I heard some orders deal with the purging of undeath.
I should be the one to know and apprechiate most such a press, knowing how long it takes to write. Only the artistic value is depleated, and the soul of the craft. Nothing to miss in mere mundane books.
Speaking of that, at least I finally bring good news. I've recently become a Docent in the rare incantation section of the Collage. I would not place myself specifically in that bracket, but I suppose they needed to fill the spot and get more voluntary courses going for the students.
I now have 16 more or less eager students under my wing.

Hope I hear from you soon,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
I shan't be in any danger so long as I stay in these halls. I believe the closest posting of templar is in Alliria. Though a letter at this point is likely only another to add to the fire atop someone's desk there. Regarding the press, though it depletes the artistic value, the possibilities of mass printing books is a splendid trade to bring down the prices of more common texts so that all can enjoy the pleasure of reading if given the inclination. Aside from that, books of considerable worth can still be requested at a more demanding price if done artistically. A token to those who can afford the extra cost associated.
Excellent news to hear in regard to your apppointment! My sister might be interested in writing to you as well with access to such a inclusive section of books. She does have a touch of magic about her and has shown interest in such texts before. She does have a favored author in magical texts I believe and will have to refresh myself on the name at a later date.

Best of luck,
Belduhr Brighthand

• Yay
Dear Belduhr!
What a shame in that regard. Sincere apologies on the lateness of this letter, but I've been busy with my students and only now had found time for my personal writings. It is good to hear your sister enjoys the craft, such interest is rare I've grown to see.
Not even a third is attending out of genuine interest and love for the craft, and some of the students are runic mages! What woe I have to deal with.
See, one of them tried to get a stronger fire scroll by using his own blood. His own blood! On activation, he promptly went ablaze. I have not seen him since after leaving him in the infirmary, but I heard he is doing fine now after signing himself out of my course.
Other than that, there are some promising Diviners. One already shows a high level of writing, especially codices, but their reading could use improvement. He is a poor stutterer.

But how are things going on with your printing press? I hope things are well in flow now.

Take care,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
My friend Severin,
No need to apologize, life always finds a way to tie one to their work for longer than anticipated. In regards to your students, a silly thing to use ones own blood for such purposes. I do hope that of those genuinely interested that your prospects are greatly inclined to more, intelligent decisions given the mishap with the poor fellow had. Have your students with the runic studies had a hard time with the class?

The press is going spledidly, though a bit of fine tuning was required in order to allow the function of my stouter build to not impede the process. An extra handle here and a stop block to allow reference for when to cease pressure on the inked plates, as I tended to become a tad zealous with force application when applying the block. But these modifications have made the process much quicker and smoother.

Best regards,
Belduhr Brighthand

Oh dear Belduhr, since last time I wrote, things changed quite a lot. Many students dropped out, the course is too difficult for most, but I say they are just not patient enough. While yes... The rune magic is vastly different to learn. I dabbled slightly in it during my youth and while hard to find a good tutor, it was absurdly quick to learn, some do even just through observation alone. And apparently blood is a common ingredient to draw in. Here he seemed to err in the notion that blood would feed the inscription to be stronger, but no, blood marks, or is one of the means to mark or bind the subject with the inscription in this form of casting.
The diviners soon prowed their worth.I could not be more grateful, and their studies in divine magic will be well fortified through my couse... But please tell me, I'm growing a bit impatient now, what titles and editions do you laready have in print with your setup? Do keep me updated on any good poetry, you know how I am about those. I might want to buy some books that I fancy. Perhaps one day you'll be able to commission a press just for your stature to raise efficiency.

Stay safe,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
My friend Severin,
A gem among the dirt can only be uncovered through work. I hope that what remains of your students is enough to keep you busy until the next batch of budding possibles has sprouted for preening as this group has gone through. Do not be disheartened, I am sure that your course is not so rugged as to dissuade those with greater achievement in mind away.
As for the list of authors, I have had numerous requests for a large selection spanning the humans, dwarves, though not nearly as frequently requested for some reason, and finally a few titles from elves as well. They tend to be the most sought after since their writings always contain a bit of the poetic notations so readily available to them.
Delvin Talorous is one notable human author, hailing from Elbion and having spent time abroad aboard one of the sailing vessels. His poetry mainly consists of the sea and things associated but I must admit he paints an exquisite picture with his word use. One of the more commonly requested via letters from numerous hopefuls and lovelorn folk.
I believe his tales about his encounter with a siren is what inspire most to seek out his title. The tales after his first seem to be inclined more toward the pursuit of the siren, and while requested often enough, I've have heard disconcerting tales that the man has gone off to find the siren he so fondly writes of.
Similarly, one Theolily Esselton, an elvish writer that penned the Discourse of the Endless Cycle, is also a popular one that I have been requested to print more than A few times. The first book details dealing with humans, the second drawing her conclusions to the first. Those following detail other races and the conclusions that she has drawn from her perspective as having lived among them for a time. One could almost say that it is not much of a book so much as a journal.
Though I would like to claim that some great dwarven writer has been requested a plethora of times, it is with a weary heart that I must disclose that most of the dwarven literature that I print remains closely tied to our propensity for metal working and mining. Many that I have printed tend towards manuals in regards to my brethren.
Enclose is a further list of authors, and I do apologize for the tardiness of such a list but combing through the ledger has taken a rain check to the printing and binding process.
Sincerest apologies,
Belduhr Brighthand

You are indeed right my friend. Only time will tell, for now...nothing interesting happned, the same grinding through heaps of paper and the spilling of ink. How is your sister doing though?
And of the list you sent, don't tell me it's not true, Kellin Vyrd apparently finally published. I would like some poetry of his, that and the Discourse of the Endless Cycle. But I see Braella Resseni is also in the list. Her Dictionary of South Sameeran to Common trade would fit right in my colelction as well.

Take care,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
(OOC This letter is tied to a brown package roughly the shape of a book)
Severin,
Fate is a funny thing. My sister is well actually, she still travels to broaden her knowledge and has recently just sent me a letter to catch me up on what has been happening in her travels.
Alas though my friend. What you have read is true. Kellin Vyrd has indeed published and a copy may have found itself in your very hands. Whenever the opportunity presents itself, I always purchase enough materials to remake a bad printing. The other two you mentioned will be coming upon me shortly in the queue and I will be sure to bind it in fairly decent materials if it is for your personal collection.

Be well,
Belduhr Brighthand

(This letter comes with another letter, magial in fact, activated by reading. Writing hints that it is a curative spell formula for sores.)

This truly lightens my bad mood, dear Belduhr, my mother has recently gone sick and it is hard to be a teacher, a docent and still have time for yourself. But I am looking forward for the books and what I read so far from Kellin Vyrd I like, if you see him, send him my admiration.
And for the books, don't forget to tell me where to send and what I should exchange the money into.
Ps. I devised somethig for you... you should know what it is.

Thank you my friend,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
Severin,
It pains me to hear that your mother has fallen ill, I do hope for her speedy recovery. Keep me informed of her health when time allows and do not forget to take care of yourself. How can one help another if not in good health themselves.
As for payment, a few more of these spelled letters ought to be plenty, very much appreciated. If you truly feel the need to pay though, the Goldfingers here in Belgrath will exchange it with no problems. No large sums needed though, as I am sure you are well aware the cost of ink and parchment.
The novelty of the press has not been lost on the other customers and they tend to overpay believing it some form of magic rather than my father's long awaited dream made real.
I wish I could offer more than my support of words but if you should need of something, simply tell me my friend.

With sincere solace,
Belduhr Brighthand

• Yay
Your letter arrived quickly, and I am writing this soon thereafter. Has the ghoul rampage subsided? I am sure this would have helped speed up the post.
My mother's health is only growing worse, and we had another incident at the collage. Again with a runic mage. Perhaps I should invest in a plaque embeded in big letters stating to not use your own blood, or any other kind of blood for that matter. And some other safety guidelines as well.
I'll be sending over some money soon and the orders on the books, other than that I was able to write two more curative letters. But tell me? Did you not mention a long time ago that you dealt with transcribing magical texts?

Take care,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
Severin,
It seems whatever scare the rumors produced has subsided for the time being. Though I doubt the problem will ever truly be gone as I've heard tell that mages with dark power seem to be the root of the problem. Nasty business and bad for the name of good mages.
Pah, more than A placard perhaps. Maybe make it part of the curriculum at this point since there is now a pair of good examples.
And yes, I dabbled in the art a time ago. Still do on rare occasion. It is a bit time consuming but the accomplishment of such a feat always invites me to work on such a thing. Is there perhaps something that needs done for you? I'll be sending a few books your way after the Goldfingers receive the payment.
If I may ask, what is ailing your mother? I cannot believe that she has not prevailed against this yet. Still, my thoughts are with you both.

Take care.
Belduhr Brighthand

Ah Belduhr, I truly believe there will be no end to this inflow of mages, it truly is a wonder why so many dabble in undeath. But for each necromancer there are two mean spirited pyromancers.
I Hope the money will arrive shortly, it should already arrive before this letter comes into your hands.
I've already commisioned it, a nice dwarven workshop downtown, far better quality at a lesser price. They're new here.
And as of my mother, her condition is getting slightly better. I do not know what came of her! One day she just was unable to walk. No one knows why. But she seems good and healthy otherwise.

Take care,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
Indeed Severin, as long as power exists, there will exist those that seek it. I have received the money and appreciate it greatly, it has bought more ink for the press. The books should follow behind this letter shortly. Mentioning the magical text, I actually was going to suggest my sister to transcribe the book as she has recently brushed up on her skill in the art. It brightens my heart to hear that she has recovered. Also, my sister has asked for your address to write you, as she lauds your work and has been informed by our father that I write to you. If you wouldn't mind my sharing of your information, you should expect correspondence from her with your approval.

All the best,
Belduhr Brighthand

Another student of the craft? At least some enthusiasm exsists for the art.
Belduhr, I'd be happy to converse with your sister as well.
I also recieved the books, as expected, the quality of the bind is good and the print is of adequate quality. I had not had the time to read them yet, but when I have free time I will do so.

Greetings,
Severin Bellerose

Last edited:
  • Yay
Indeed, she took to it like none I had seen before. Her writing is exquisite and attention to detail is matched by none here. Even myself or our father. I shall send her your address then. Take all the time you need friend. Part of my job is reading after all. You have hopefuls to attend to and setting them upon the right path has sounded like no easy task.

Be well,
Belduhr Brighthand

I already recieved a letter from her, dear Belduhr. Quite a charm, but I did not expect her to be so deep into the art. I am happy that there are some that willingly choose to study this art on their own terms.
I wish I had some more to tell about, but things have been rather status quo so far. I've been heading to the pub down town for the last few weeks, perhaps when you come visit me we could go together.

Take care,
Severin Bellerose

In the least it is no surprise to me that she has sent some form of correspondence your way my friend. She had taken to the art quickly and with a fervor I nary seen from any other scholar. She is quite the learned person when it comes to the subject and her interest had yet to wane. I believe she will come into her own once she decides to settle in an area as a leading source on the subject.
In regards to the lack of interesting events, it pleases me to know that things have calmed down with your class. If I do recall, there should be a time in my schedule that would allow myself to make such a trip that way. My continued use of the press has made the supply of ink and parchment here in Belgrath dwindle conskderably. The suppliers here would likely welcome a reprieve from the constant demand I place upon them.

With warm regards,
Belduhr Brighthand