Private Tales Four Horns and A Crown

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Kala

The Other Gutter Rat
Character Biography
Link
Malphias

Kala liked stealing crowns.

There was something about the prestige of it that she well and truly enjoyed. Kings, Emperors, hell even whatever the fuck a Duke wore on his head was good enough for her. Most of the time they weren't even the most valuable thing in the place, but there was just a satisfaction to taking it.

This time she had her eyes on the crown of Volren Stonefist.

He was a man who claimed to be a King, though in truth his power only stretched to the edges of where the walls of his city extended. Nevertheless, Volren was a rich man, probably one of the wealthiest on the eastern part of the spine. He had made a fortune in running what are essentially protection rackets. He took in travelers who had gotten stuck in the Ixchel Wilds, exploited them, and then threw them into the iron mines when they couldn't pay their debts.

Effective strategy, one that had seen him become wealthy beyond all imagination, but also hated.

Kala wasn't targeting him for that reason, but it served her just as well.

For now she simply sat in the Red Rump, an Inn with scantily clad dancing girls as she waited for her contact here.

"Ooooow!!!"

The sound of a woman's pained cry from the rooms above was followed by a torrent of angry yells, the clatter and smash of cups and vases being used as projectiles and the stumbling of a man trying to avoid them. Malphias staggered down the stairs and into the bar, turning to duck an empty bottle of wine that shattered on the wall behind him. The dancer who'd accompanied him upstairs threw his jacket at him and stood, gripping a bleeding bite wound on her shoulder, glaring venomously at him before looking around at the people staring at her and she turned, beaming with embarrassment and fled back up to her room to slam the door.

Malphias stood panting, tongue collecting a small trickle of blood at the corner of his mouth before casting his crystal blue gaze around the bar. He was dishevelled, and not used to being such in public, he was always immaculately presented. Now he stood with his shirt opened, belt undone, one boot on and the other under his arm, but his messy hair took priority and he lifted a hand to casually sweep it back into order. Nobody said anything, and so he found a seat and flopped into it, pulling on his other boot. He cast another glance up as he still felt people staring at him, and they quickly went back to their business.

As he fastened his shirt over the visible runes on his chest, he let his eyes wander over the female who now sat opposite him, expressionless. He wore his human form today. It was a lot more inviting to pretty human dancers and it allowed him to avoid a little more trouble then he did whilst flaunting his horns and tail in towns such as this, where people came to hunt the monsters of the Spine.

He continued to put himself back together meticulously, pulling on his silk jacket and smoothing it out before finally resting his arms on the table and lacing his fingers together with a long huff...

"Drink?..."

• Sip
Reactions: Kala
For a few seconds Kala simply sat there with a single eyebrow raised, then eventually she spoke. "Perhaps next time try biting the rump, more meat there."

It was a rather crass joke, especially for someone like her.

More than once Kala had been accused of eating human flesh. Blue skin, red tattoos, and horns often made people assume she was some kind of devil or demon. It was an experience that many other Tieflings shared, and that most learned to embrace a long time ago.

What was a little harmless banter about cannibalism?

"SERENA!" Kala called over one of the bar Wenches, motioning to the woman whom she had already befriended. That had always been one of her first tactic in any new city; make friends with the bar maids and whores.

They knew more than anyone else. "Ale and...whatever he'd having."

Kala gestured.

Malphias' lips twitched and he studied the woman curiously.. "That's true.. Thigh is better if it's meat you're after. But I wasn't hungry for meat." he grinned and sat back, fixing his cuffs casually.

His nose wrinkled slightly as the woman asked for ale, and he glanced up at the the bar wench.. "Wine.". He rumbled his answer as though there was really any doubt that he drank wine, he was a man of sophistication, not a common peasant or pirate.

Arms folded across his chest and he leaned back in his chair, watching her for another moment before he spoke. "Have I stolen someone's place at your table, dearie?.." he asked and glanced around, his voice like warm honey. "Don't tell me you've been stood up. Pretty one like you." his brow lifted and the corner of his lips tugged into a roguish smirk.

• Devil
Curiosity flittered over her features for a few seconds in consideration.

"Maybe." Kala said in thought. She had no idea who her contact was supposed to be, other than the fact that it was another Tiefling. This man was obviously human, but his demeanor was...troubling to her.

She watched him in silence for a few seconds longer as he slowly began to tip his chair back. His eyes peered at her, and that was when her leg suddenly jerked forward.

With a swift kick she slammed her foot against the edge of the chair, nearly hitting the crux of his legs, to send him hopefully sprawling onto hisback on the floor.

• Devil
Reactions: Malphias
Malphias flinched and reached in attempt to grab hold of the table but failed, falling hard on his back with a growl. His illusion dropped the second he landed, it took a bit of mental effort and his entire consciousness was focussed on the sudden shock of falling. In a blink his skin turned to lilac, a set of spiral horns adorned his head, lips pulled back over his pointed teeth in a growl and blood red orbs blinked up at the ceiling. He cracked his neck, and used the table to pull himself up, rubbing at the small of his back, crimson eyes glaring at the woman.

"That really wasn't very fucking nice." his jaw clenched, and his prehensile tail lashed irritably behind him as he leaned over the table. He wasn't having the best day thus far.

• Devil
Kala only smiled as the other Tiefling crawled up from the floor. There was a certain smugness to her features, clearly pleased that she had guessed right.

"Is it not?" Kala leaned onto the table, chin in her pal as her own tail curved up behind her. "Don't be mad."

She teased. "I was just encouraging you not to hide your pretty little eyes."

This was the problem when Two Tieflings met. It became a contest of who had a stronger will and larger inclination to be more devilish. Already she could see a few eyes cast their way, both employees and customers peering at the two strangers.

Kala glanced their way for just a brief second, long enough for Malphias to catch before she looked back towards him

Malphias straightened with a huff and dusted off his jacket despite there being no dust on it at all, he had to make sure, having his clothes begrimed was way below his standard of appearance. He rolled his shoulders and observed the woman again, his gaze narrowing with the slightest of smirks touching at his lips. “Flattery will get you everywhere. You could have just asked if it was so obvious.. Smart lass.” He huffed.

The bar wench delivered their drinks to the table, nervously staring at Malphias as his tail curled around the leg of the chair to set it back upright. She shuffled away quickly after he grinned at her, and he sat to lift the grimy looking cup with his clawed fingertips, a look of disdain on his features. “What I wouldn’t do for a decent goblet of fucking wine.. I despair.” His eyes rolled and he sipped at the bitter liquid with a scowl.

“So…Now that pleasantries are out of the way.Introductions.” He waved a hand toward the woman nonchalantly.

• Sip
"You'll have to search west of the spine for that." She commented with a small smile.

Out here most people drank either ale or whisky. She wasn't entirely sure why, though it was most likely because of the dwarves. They weren't really wine type of folks, and neither were many of the people out in the Ixchel Wilds. At least from what she knew.

Taking a smug sip of her ale tiefling motioned to herself.

"Kala." She said with no lack of confidence.

Many thieves attempted to keep their name a secret, but she'd never really seen the point of that. Half the reason she stole anything was for the clout and rumor that began to swirl around whatever went missing. She wanted her name out there, not some stupid alias.

After the Oban incident she was getting closer and closer to a certain amount of fame. Something she relished.

"Evidently.." he sighed his words, clearly unimpressed by the poor standards. "No matter." his lips curled and his fingertips danced in the air, conjuring a small ink bottle of greenish liquid and he unstoppered it to dip his blackened fingertip inside to coat the very tip of his claw and no more.

"Kala." he repeated with a brief glance toward her as he swept the bottle from the table and it disappeared, leaving the usual faint wisp of purple smoke as with all of his illusions. "Pretty." he mused.

"Malphias." he introduced himself with a hand pressed to his chest and a regal dip of his chin. He smiled mischievously and glanced to the empty chair next to her, to where another Malphias now sat, leaning casually on the table with his eyes on her, wearing the same mischievous smile. "The pleasure is mine..."

The other Malphias stared at her for a short moment, and without warning lashed out toward her, jaw wide and sharp teeth ready to take a bite out of her neck. Before contact however, he vanished, leaving behind that hue of lilac that faded into the air after a few moments. He thought it only fair that to show off with a bit of mind trickery to repay that fall..

The tiefling grinned, drew up his cuff slightly, and punctured his wrist with the venom coated claw.

• Scared
"AH!" Kala screeched as she kicked up her foot in an attempt to bash away the illusion before it suddenly snapped into a purple mist.

A curse rang from her lips.

She hated magic. Well, that wasn't entirely true. She hated magic when it was used against her, especially when it was used to play tricks on her. Lips thinned, and she slammed her fist down onto the table. The wood cracked slightly.

"Illusionists." The Tiefling grumbled. "You all have the same obnoxious attitude."

In the back of her mind she made a note to hurt the man.

She just had to figure out how.

Mal's lips twisted in amusement and he pouted a feigned look of hurt as she commented on his attitude. "Oh it wasn't an illusion I'm in your head, precious." he grinned. "Come now, just a little harmless fun, you bruised my beautiful tail, it's only fair." he shrugged a shoulder, but his voice trailed off as his blood took hold of the venom and it coursed through him. His perfect posture relaxed, a little too much and he rolled his shoulders and neck.

The agony of it was his pleasure, it attacked every nerve and made rigid every muscle and he shuddered and sighed with a throaty growl. Who needed wine?

He composed himself, but maintained a look of drunken malice.. "Now then.. Explain your business and I'll listen and try to look interested." he waved a hand toward her and settled his chin on his fist.

• Thoughtful
She let out a sigh, wondering if she would have to leave this fool for dead by the end of this little adventure. "Volren's Crown."

The name of the so called 'King' was something that even Malphias should recognize. Posters and banners baring both his name and face were hung on every corner of the city as though it were supremely important everyone knew who he was.

"I want it." The thing was said to be made of White Pallin, a precious metal five times as rare as gold. Most people made swords or knives of it due to the near weightlessness, but this fool had made it a crown.

She cast a glance towards those nearby to make sure no one was listening. "I know how to get it to."

Kala just needed a little help to do it.

"Ah!" he steepled his hands and tapped his fingertips together, his lips curling to reveal a pointy toothed grin at her "Of course you do, precious.." he laughed under his breath with amusement. Thieves were below him, but he let out a sigh and pretended to be interested like he promised. The only reason he was entertaining her at all was because she wasn't boring so far..

"And how is that, exactly?.." he quirked a brow, tracing his tongue over his lower lip as he watched her in consideration.

• Sip
"Well If I told you that it would spoil all the fun." Kala said simply.

Plus, she didn't exactly trust him not to immediately turn around and sell her out to the King. Velron was a vindictive bastard, and although she could get away from this hellpit easily enough it would mean months of wasted work.

She couldn't have that.

"I'm no ordinary thief." Something every single ordinary thief claimed. "I don't want the crown for the money, or the pride."

Not entirely true. "I want to see the man's stupid little face as I take it."

Malphias' cheeks dimpled as he grinned at her words "Oh well now I'm intrigued.." he stared at her, his eyes wandering over her with consideration and he clicked his tongue at her words.

"You have my interest. How can I help you achieve your desires?....And more importantly, what's in it for me?..." his brows rose in question.

• Popcorn
She glanced down at his arm for a brief few seconds. "Gold?"

That was usually enough to wrangle most people in her circles. Gold was the greatest allure to both criminal and noble. Everyone wanted it, and some people downright needed it. After the display with his claw Kala thought that he might have been in the latter part.

"A favor?" She let out a scoff. "I can provide a few things depending on your desires."

The Tiefling glanced towards the door where he had originally popped out of. "Provided it doesn't involve teeth."

She didn't want the crown that badly.

"The plan involves making Velron think things are happening that aren't." Kala explained. "I'm sure you'd be more than suitable for that."

Malphias' lips twitched in a look of disdain. Gold was fine, he enjoyed the finer things in life, but he wasn't short of gold.. "Boring.." he sighed, though his gaze narrowed at her offer of a favour. He could always use people for one thing or another, he enjoyed having people indebted to him.

Her comment about teeth prompted a grin that showed off said jagged rows.. Wit her final explanation he sighed and sat back in his chair to blink at her for a short moment before finally caving in. "Fine..". It was what he did best and there was always joy to be gained from involving fear and chaos in a mind. They were such fragile things.

"Get on with it then." he waved a hand and folded his arms across his chest, waiting for her to explain her plans with a look of mild interest.

• Popcorn
"Excellent." Kala said as she stood up from the table and motioned for him to follow along with her. "I'll explain on the way."

She flashed him a smile as she stepped by him.

The plan was relatively complex, and had already been set in motion two days ago when she'd originally broken into the palace in order to test defenses. It was there that she had planted the seed of what was about to happen.

A Guard had been paid off to forget to close the chimey hatch. That would eventually cause smoke to fill the castle which meant windows would be opened.

Through there Kala and Malphias would gain entry. After that, well that was when the true would fun begin. And where she needed him.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Lokdrarlig
Malphias listened as he strolled along next to the woman, his eyes wandering curiously over her with a smirk in amusement at her plan. He wasn't accustomed to climbing through windows like some common thief, he walked in the front door and people allowed him to. The gift of mind manipulation gave him free reign, but she had clearly put a considerable amount of thought and effort into her scheme already and so he'd sigh and nod in agreement.

"Alright.. I suppose I'll play along." he dipped his chin and laced his fingers behind his back as his gaze fell upon the palace now in the distance. "There will be a significant amount of guards.. I suppose you've thought of all of that already..." his brow quirked.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Talus
"The Guards aren't the problem." She said calmly as they drew more near to the palace.

Kala could already see the smoke beginning to rise from the various windows, her gaze flickering between the different section of the massive building to find their point of entry.

"There is a mage." She told him. "It's his little games we will have to work through."

That was why she needed Malphias.

The Palace was not the ordinary sort. Inside were not just walls of stone, but illusions, monsters, and a dozen other threats that she had not wanted to face on her own. "Manipulating him is the key to getting the crown."

Malphias stopped and threw the woman a venomous glare “A fucking Mage? And when exactly were you planning on mentioning that? What games?” he frowned, only just resisting the urge to grab the tiefling by the throat.

Malphias was a trickster, he drove people to insanity and he was confident of his abilities but he was not a fighter. He had physical strength but only a single dagger by way of weaponry. Men didn’t usually find the chance to fend him off when he dived so quickly into their minds and warped their realities.. But a Mage might be different. He couldn’t get into his mistresses mind at all, and she could cause such pain..

“Fuck this, I’m out.” He waved a hand dismissively and turned on his heels.

• Popcorn
Kala had honestly figured that would be his reaction. As he tried to step away she reached out and quickly grasped at his tail.

She wouldn't yank it, but just wanted to ensure that he didn't run away. "Now now."

She began with a sharp toothed grin. Kala could understand Malphias' hesitation. Mages weren't exactly easy marks on the best days, but she had a plan for this one. Most of the work would be on her end, she just needed Malphias to create some distractions.

"Don't be scared." She insisted. "I can promise that not a single bit of you will be harmed."

Kala was confident enough in her own skills for that.

• Cthulhoo rage
Reactions: Malphias
Malphias stopped dead in his tracks and turned to cast a look of pure fury at the woman and he turned to yank his tail free of her grip. The tail curled around him and rubbed itself against his jacket as though to clean her mucky paw prints from it's beautiful self. "Don't ever manhandle my fucking tail again Blue." his gaze narrowed at her.

He turned back fully. Scared? She'd used that word on purpose. What man could ever resist accepting a challenge when threatened by the prospect of being labelled a coward? His jaw clenched. "Then by all means, explain." his arms folded stubbornly across his chest.

• Popcorn
"The mage isn't that strong." Kala said, glancing at Malphias as his tail slipped from her grasp.

She was sure of that.

"No one with any talent would end up in this goddamn dump." Logically of course. "He's relied on crafting illusions, making the damned place like a maze."

"That's why I need you."
The Tiefling quickly explained.

Kala had her own magics, but she wasn't much for illusion. "Card for a card. Illusion for Illusion."

Her hands balanced.

"We make our way through, I guide you and make sure you stay untouched." Then at the end...they cut the 'King's' throat.