Fate - First Reply For a Sword

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join

Wulfric

Smith-Valik
Character Biography
Link
Tink! Tink!

Wulfric wasn’t supposed to be here. Dreadlords were battlemages, not crafts-man. But even dreadlords had days off. For apprentices like him, it was sup-posed to be once a week until a mentor was assigned, then it was under thementor’s discretion. In reality it had been more like once a month. This week-end was a treat however, with Wulfric having two consecutive days in a row to himself. He had taken his month’s wages to rent a blacksmith’s forge for the weekend. Truth told, it probably wasn’t a fair price, but the smith was probably scared to charge more.

Tink! Tink!

His hammer went to work, flattening the heated ingot in front of him. He could fashion a sword by simply taking an ingot and molding it with his magic,but that only made a sword. Wulfric was working on something more. The apprentice could use magic to shape regular steel, or through hard work imbue it with magic properties, but not both. Perhaps the steel could only handle so much magic, perhaps it was his magic’s price, or perhaps he simply wasn’t proficient enough yet. He honestly hadn’t contemplated it much, as he preferred working in the heat of the forge.

Creak!

The door. The smith had expressly said he didn’t want to barge in onWulfric. Did he leave the door unlocked? Who had come in, and what did they want?

”Shop’s closed today. You’ll have to come back in two days hence.” He told the entrant. If it was a customer the smith wouldn’t appreciate Wulfric doing business, and if it wasn't, well, he could be in a bit of trouble.

"I apologize for interrupting." Gurnam spoke, his voice surprised. "I heard the hammering of metal and I assumed that you were open. Are you certain that you cannot spare a few minutes, I am simply looking to purchase a dagger, a simple weapon for when I'm in a less than desirable situation. I prefer to rely on my magic but it isn't always possible. If it is absolutely non negotiable, I shall leave, but if we can work out a deal, I would be much obliged."

Wulfric was joined by Gurnam. The man surprised him, asking for a dagger but saying he preferred to rely on magic. He didn't appear to wearing Anirian armor, or sporting a crest. He didn't carry himself like a dreadlord, but all people who showed talent in Vel Anir were conscripted as dreadlords.

Was this a test? Wulfric felt off guard at the man's words.

"Well, I'm not the owner. Don't handle the buying and selling, just the forging. A dagger wouldn't be much trouble, I could make something for you quick enough." A dagger only took the metal of a single ingot, and Wulfric happened to have a couple to spare. "What do you need? You aiming to cut or stab or a little of both? Straight or serrated?" Wulfric asked. Perhaps if he hadn't mentioned magic Wulfric would have been able to dismiss him, but now there was considerable more risk in that now.

"Straight and smooth please, a cutting edge but a narrow tip. It's not so much for combat as it is a tool but it could save my life if I find myself in tight spaces. How much is it going to cost me? I believe that I will have enough, though I would prefer to know the price before anything permanent is done, then I pay half to start half upon delivery. Precautions and such, but not to seem mistrusting. What is your name good sir? You do not seem to be the type to spend all of each day making weapons but not selling them, unless you are a weaponsmith for a garrison and are given a monthly salary or something to that effect."

Straight and smooth, but not for combat? Wulfric generally thought a serrated edge was good for utility, especially when it came to cutting ropes and other things that were more corded than homogeneous.

"Truth be told, I don't get as much time on the forge as I'd like. Spend far more time using blades than making them." Wulfric replied, then thought of the price. He wasn't a merchant, how was he supposed to know? Steel ingot's went for what, twenty coin a pop? Add some leather for the handle, another five coin. Then add . . . two hours or so of labor?

"Seventy-five coin sound a good price?" Wulfric asked. "That'd get you a basic dagger." Wulfric thought for a moment. His dagger would undoubtedly be a bit different than the owner's. Every craftsman did it a little bit differently, but even so Wulfric needed a way to make sure the dagger got to this guest.

"You said you're a mage right? Would you like an inscription on the blade, or the handle? I could etch a name or a rune for you." Wulfric asked. Really it was a way for him to make sure the owner didn't sell it to someone else. He would know better than to sell custom work for someone who didn't ask for it.

"Name's Wulfric by the way." Wulfric replied to Gurnam, finally answering his question. The mage piqued his interest, but he definitely wasn't a dreadlord. At least, not like any dreadlord Wulfric had ever seen.

“Yes, seventy five is fair. A simple fire rune on the blade if you please. Yes, I am a mage, and actually, I have been researching an old kind of elemental magic, and I’ve come across a few hired thugs with the intent of stealing my research. I barely made it out of one encounter in which a dagger would have been quite useful, hence the purchase. It is a great pleasure to meet you Wulfric. I am Gurnam.”

Simple fire rune. Seventy five for a basic dagger. Wulfric was fighting conflicting interests now.

"Fire run hunh? I can do that." Wulfric responded. "You know if there's any magic in there you'll have to refuel it right? Magic's End and all that." The laws of magic were to be respected, lest any errant wizard meet his end. "I'll make sure you get a scroll about how to charge it, but it'll be some maintenance work on your end." Creating a weapon with magic lasting longer than a man's life was possible, but not in the span of Wulfric's offday. And certainly not for a price of seventy five coin.

"So what brings you to Vel Anir Gurnam? I figured any mage that wasn't a dreadlord gave this place a wide berth on fear of conscription or surveillance."

"Oh, that won't be necessary. I don't need you to put any magic into that. I have been experimenting with an ancient form of elemental magic, and have found that that magic and the magic we now use work well together. I can do the enchantment myself, which is a bit of an experiment in and of itself, but ultimately one that will be successful, it's only a question of success compared to standard enchantment. It might be better, it might be worse. But you need not fret, I am well aware of what needs to be done to take care of enchantments."

"As far as what brings me here, this is the closest town to the excavation site where I am studying said ancient magics. I have permit for the excavation and research being conducted, which tends to ward of conscription, and I have nothing to fear from the dreadlords because I have nothing to hide from them, if I am under surveillance, so be it. As I said, I have nothing to hide, so why should surveillance be a problem? In fact, I willing to allow dreadlords into the excavation with me, to partake in or observe the research. None have shown up yet, or asked, but the offer stands. If you are interested, I'd be happy to show you how far I've gotten."