Open Chronicles Fire & Stone Tavern

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Bronmaen Greatbelt

Master
Character Biography
Link
Doon, Second Annenday, Peridot, 369, Dwarven Calendar
The Fire & Stone Tavern, Outer City, Alliria

Doon is the true depth of night after midnight but before the earliest hint of the sun begins to sprinkle the horizon with bright orange and violet streaks. An early spring storm blusters outside, rumbling the window panes with echos of distant thunder and the occasional bright flash of lighting. Rain taps against the glass and drums against the high roof over his head like the feet of a thousand angry brùnaidh.

Bronmaen was seated in a chair behind what was the main bar. The smooth dark surface reflected the dancing light of the lit candle that sat upon it in a iron holder. Next to that was an ink pot. His thick forearms leaned heavily on the chocolate colored patterns of lacquered wood as he made notations in a large ledger. In his right hand was a white quill. There were six hearths in this large drinking hall but only one was lit. It crackled hungrily for want of more fuel which sat stacked next to its shaped gray stone on one side. The fire and the storm outside were Bron's only company. Everyone else had long since retired to their rooms or returned to their homes.

Last edited:
Jason stumbled down the rainy streets of Alliria toward the nearest tavern. He hadn't slept for at least thirty hours and his quiver was empty. Dawnbreaker glowed brightly in its sheathe as a dark shape stalked the tired warrior from the rooftops. The day was starting out just great.

With each passing moment the dark shape grew more confident and began closing its distance.

"Damn vampires," Jason muttered as he readied himself for the monster's pounce.

It struck almost right outside the door of his destination. As the lone vampire suddenly sped in for the kill, he drew Dawnbreaker and sliced off the creature's wrist in a fluid motion. It hissed in pain and stumbled off into the night. Jason sighed and sheathed his sword as its glow faded. He was too tired to chase after monsters at this time of morning.

He roughly shouldered the tavern's door open and stumbled over to the only lit hearth in the building. His bow and quiver clattered to the floor as the exhausted man collapsed on a chair in front of it.

"I've been awake far too long, Dwarf, so bring me need something strong," Jason said in a tired voice as he pushed back his soaking hair. "Oh, an you have something of a vampire problem," he added as his sword faintly glowed again.

Bronmaen Greatbelt

The dwarf looked angry at the interruption. His brow furrowed casting deep shadows across his forehead as his bushy chocolate colored eyebrows angled down to the bridge of his thick nose. He stepped down from his chair behind the bar and hefted a finely made dwarven battleaxe to his shoulder giving his latest guest a momentary glance with steely eyes. His feet, cushioned in plain leather shoes carried him easily to the door, still hanging open from Jason's entry. The dwarf peered out into the darkness but saw nothing and the door was promptly closed before he returned to the bar.

"Something strong eh?", he said with a voice that sounded like granite groaning. He drew out a bottle from under the counter and inspected it before replacing it and grabbing another. This bottle he placed on the counter and produced a small glazed goblet. The dwarf then poured a small amount of amber liquid from the bottle into the vessel. He left the bottle uncorked and pushed the cup forward gently in Jason's direction across the dark surface of the bar top.

"This is a quadruple distilled single malt whiskey aged in an oak cask since 359 in the fashion of the people of Allir." Bronmaen would wait for the man to grab the cup before speaking again. "The city guards' problem," he said with a frown. From his position behind the counter he was unable to see the faint glow of Jason's enchanted blade due to his shorter stature. "We have clean rooms available if you like," he offered.

Jason

Last edited:
Why, why did it have to rain right now? the almost sudden downpour having long soaked the robes and cowl of the young woman as she ran through the now muddy streets of Allaria. A simple before dawn stroll had turned into a mini marathon as the white haired individual hastened to find shelter from the falling rains.

"Maskat I know this rain is a blessing from you and that such will benefit the farmers far and wide with a bountiful harvest... but why did you have to do it while I was out in the streets". Was it a test of faith or did the gods have something else in store for her? Regardless the brown gaze of the priestess fell upon a sign, one pertaining to a inn, a place of refugee for weary travelers or entertainment for the masses.

"Such will do for now until the rain passes", hopefully there was a fire inside to counteract the chill of the current morning air and wet attire. With quickness of feet the sister almost burst through the front door, clothes dripping, herself panting heavily, hands on knees as she drew breath, "at least is is warm inside".

Bronmaen Greatbelt Jason

Last edited:
Jason downed the goblet in one go and slid it back to the barkeep for a refill.

"Now that's real whiskey," he said approvingly. "I'll take another. And a room would be greatly appreciated in this weather."

His sword's hilt glow kept growing and receding every few minutes, which was worrisome. The vampire (or maybe a friend of his) was still close and moving around, no doubt looking for more tired citizens to prey on. Jason took a swallow of his second drink as someone came bustling into the tavern. The warrior instantly leaped from his seat and drew Dawnbreaker, ready to cut down any vampire that dared to follow him.

Bronmaen Greatbelt | Formorta

Bronmaen displayed a toothy grin though it was well hidden behind the thick hair of his beard and mustache. "Very good. I'll pour you another cup and then I shall go prepare your room." He tipped the bottle and poured more amber fluid. Just as Jason drew the goblet to his lips the door opened. A chill wind and the fresh scent of rain once more filled the drinking hall and a woman stepped in trailing water across the planks.

Bron's eyes moved to look upon this new guest and at that very moment Jason drew his blade which caused the dwarf to take a step back and away from him. Seconds passed and the dwarf glanced to Jason and then back to the girl. He then growled and turned back to Jason. Now he did seem angry but he did not yell or bellow. His voice had actually gotten quieter. "This city has laws and this is my hallowed home of which you are a guest. I see no threat in that girl. You'll keep your weapon sheathed here unless you have good cause to use it for fear of your life."

He then turned to the silver haired beauty of faith. "Come in and close the door. Please warm yourself by the fire. I shall serve you in a moment," he spoke to Formorta in a gravely voice. The dwarf then fetched a silvered carafe of water and a brass key. "I expect they'll be no violence while I'm gone." He took these things and vanished up a wide set of stairs close to the door.

Formorta | Jason

Last edited:
The sudden gleaning tip of a sword trusted near face was certainly the last thing she expected to be greeted to upon entering the establishment. Certainly there were tails of muggings and robberies and knife point in the darker corners of inn and bars, but this, was far more different.

Raising her hands Formorta stood there, but she did not show any signs of fear, just a stoic black face as she stared at the man wielding the sword. His skin was pale white, not to dissimilar to her hair, but that was not of notice, her eyes glancing towards the band on his right arm, a band that bore a family symbol of some sorts but also the blessing of the Annunaki Pantheon. Such only seemed to raise more questions, why would someone with knowledge of the divine 6 raise a weapon towards a priestess?

The small altercation was interrupted by the gruff voice of a dwarf, "I assume you are the owner of this establishment then"? she asked, following directions, the rattle of the door resonating along the supports as it was closed. Seemed she would not get her answer right away, the dwarf going upstairs to take care of some business, leaving her with the white skinned shirtless man. "Tell me stranger, why art thou tense and on edge? are you perhaps in danger from something? or in trouble"?

Bronmaen Greatbelt l Jason

Alliria was a grand city, truly one of Khyros's favorites that he'd been to. The architecture of the city, how it worked the geography of the strait into the contours of the city, how those areas nearer the strait on either side felt like port districts, but the outer areas felt like an inland city. Truly, you could find any mood or feeling within the city you could want from any city.

As with every time he visited Alliria, his steps took him and his faithful companion Lira to the Fire and Stone Tavern. His old friend Bronmaen Greatbelt usually kept a room ready for him, and the clientele was usually fairly friendly with their coin for a few songs. There was little else an itinerant bard could ask for. A few times as they walked through the city, Lira seemed to become alert to something nearby, and once she even growled the low, earth rumbling growl she did when danger was near, but nothing accosted them as they reached the tavern door.

Khyros opened the door for himself and his odd looking dog. She was odd looking because she was colored oddly, in browns and greens, and her fur looked more like a long type of moss covering rocky musculature. She came up to Khyros's hip, and any with magical aptitude would be able to tell that the wolf/dog at the bard's side was attuned to the earth in some way.

Inside the door, Khyros made sure to wipe his boots off, stomping a bit to make sure he was tracking as little water and muck into the establishment as possible. His eyes turned round the room, but he did not see Bronmaen, instead he saw two patrons conversing near the hearth. Khyros's smile extended to these patrons.

"Well met! I trust our benefactor, Master Greatbelt, is taking good care of you both?" He spoke in a tone that easily carried to the two, but wasn't loud per se. The benefits of a voice trained for stage and song.

Khyros walked to a table nearer the two than the door, and set down his pack and lute case before taking a seat to wait for Bronmaen to get back into the room.

After a long day on the road, the last thing one hopes to find in a welcoming tavern is, well, a lack of bartender. Number two on the list is obviously a shirtless man pointing a luminescent sword at a girl. Petros drew too, feeling the weight of his ring mail keenly, and leveled his sword at the man.

"Leave off the lass, boy."

Bronmaen Greatbelt Jason Formorta Khyros Amhran

A blind man followed too. At least, most would call him blind from the clothfold wrapped about his head and the well worn staff in his hand. His pale face looked smooth, but his hair, a shock of white.

He stomped his boots clean of mud, then stopped as he heard the rasping of sharp steel and voices similarly forged.

“Oh my.”

As soon as as Jason realized who it was he was threatening he lowered, but did not sheathe his sword.

"Apologies to both of you, I was stalked by a vampire on my way here and it is still close. I feared that it grew bold and followed me inside too."

He lead the soaking priestess to the hearth to warm herself. Jason tensed again as the door opened as two more men and a dog entered the tavern. He quickly moved toward the door to close it. "Shut that door! Vampires are lurking nearby, do you want to let all them in?"

His sword grew brighter than the hearth as a shape quickly rushed past the window before receding to the dimness it was at before.

Formorta | Bronmaen Greatbelt | Gareth | Petros Brande

"Aye. I'm the master of this tavern," came the same deep voice from the top of the stair. Likely he was addressing the priestess who had asked the question earlier. The sound of heavy footsteps issued from the companionway as the dwarf Khyros had named 'Master Greatbelt' descended. This was just after Jason cried out that the door should be shut. "Welcome guests and yes... please secure the door and please sheath your blades. Thank you." Hopefully both men did so and the door was shut because this time it was clearly meant as a command or perhaps it was an ultimatum. "Listen," he said and gave pause to listen. "The storm breaks and dawn is not an hour away. There is nothing to fear here. Be at easy. You are safe in my home."

Then his deep silver eyes fell upon Khyros and he smiled brightly. "Khyros! It brings me joy to see you!" He came to the bard and embraced him as a brother. Then still holding onto the half-elf he called out behind him. "Boy!" There was no answer. "Boy!" Again there was no answer but the dwarf gave a hardy laugh that sounded like a mountain moving. It was a laugh that provided warmth and made one want to laugh in turn. He released the bard and hurriedly moved to another door adjacent but offset to the back of the bar to rap hard upon it before opening it. "Liam. Wake and tend the cook fire," the dwarf said into the darkness of the room. Something stirred within and the sound of a young man or perhaps an older boy clearing his throat could be heard before an answer came. "Right away Master Bron." A candle was lit within the room and the dwarf came away and back to the group.

"So busy, so early! It is a good thing. Pardon the poor service. It shall be amended!" called the dwarf who moved to the hearth and tossed in some more wood. The hot coals fell apart and orange tinged flame lapped at the fresh fuel. It was then that the dwarf turned to Jason. He looked down at the floor at nothing in particular and rubbed his chin with the palm of his right hand. "Actually..." he said as he chewed on a thought. "... that makes sense. I've been hearing rumors of young girls going missing from the slums," he said and then shrugged and looked back to Jason. "The vampires I mean. Normally I'd say the missing girls wouldn't be unusual. We're talking about the slums after all," he continued and moved to his place behind the counter, pulling a jug from behind it, and placing it on the dark wood surface.

"It's not just the slums though. I know of at least one girl that has recently gone missing from here in the outer city and also there is the matter of the watchman that was killed three nights ago. I was told by a good source that the young man had not been in the guard for more than a month. His relief found him dead. The boy's head had been twisted around backwards. No normal brigand can do that. Nothing was missing either. I think that perhaps that young guard saw something he wasn't supposed to." Bron placed enough mugs on the counter so that each person could have one after he had finished pouring some cool spiced cider.

Jason | Gareth | Petros Brande | Khyros Amhran | Formorta

Last edited:
She gave a small bow to Jason as he lead her over to the warm embrace of the fire place, the young girl kneeling down in front of the dancing flames, soaking up the heat emanating from it. "It is okay one makes mistakes, you are forgiven", though she was still unaware of why the man had reacted in such a way to begin with. A question soon answered as several others entered into the establishment, "V-vampires? that is certainly no simple matter".

Even so she could not help but look over the new arrivals, most notable the man who seemed familiar with the inn owner, Greatbelt... wait she knew that name, then this must have been the fire stone Tavern. The other two were of interest as well, a well matured man that appeared to be of highborn status, and a blind man, eyes wrapped with a linen cloth. The former of the two having seen the misconception earlier, berating the white shinned man for his actions.

"Tis okay, such action only makes sense for what threat lurks outside, though if need be I am more then capable of defending myself". Slowly the new arrivals made their way to the counter, taking seats as the owner reemerged from upstairs. The information she deliberate made hr remember a recent event that had taken place at the temple. "Wait, I know about that, one of the captains visited the temple the other day looking to make plans for burial and also inquired into the possibilities of some stray beast". "I did not over hear the full conversation but considering what you have said now such matter seems to be getting worse", she replied, walking over to the bar, her clothes having dried off enough.

Taking a seat she eyes up, Greatbelt a little as he poured a drink for her, alcohol being a substance Formorta did not partake in very often, but refusing such a gesture would rude. Clasping her hands together the priestess said a small pray before taking a sip, which was immediately followed buy some coughing and spluttering.

Bronmaen Greatbelt Jason Gareth Petros Brande Khyros Amhran

"Oh no... vampires."

Gareth echoed, hoping his tone conveyed all the horror it aught and bore not the reek of curious glee.

Slitted eyes shifted beneath the blindfold. Shutting the door behind him with his staff, he tapped it before him twice, thrice and fifthly fine before he found a table and chair, the latter upon which he swiftly lounged and languid.

Jack Verone opens the tavern door and limps in. He walks over to the bar and takes his hat off, running a hand through his thick, white hair. "Can I get a pint of ale lad? I'm a bit thirsty." He glances around the room at the group of mostly strong looking people. "Did I interrupt something? My bad folks, I'll get my ale and take a sit away from you all. Just ignore me." Jack smiles and waits for his drink, under his breathe he mutters something about never seeing so many tree trunks so far away from the forest.

"Yes, the glow of Dawnbreaker here is what reveals the creature's presence," Jason said, gesturing to the sword in its sheathe on the counter.

He picked up his bow and quiver and finished his drink as he waited for Bronmaen to make the rounds of his guests. He then asked, "It is getting much closer to dawn than when I arrived. Could I have my room key... Bron is it?"

Bronmaen Greatbelt

• Yay
Reactions: Khyros Amhran
"Khyros! It brings me joy to see you!"

Khyros stood as Bronmaen Greatbelt entered the room.

"You are a sight for weary eyes, my friend. I couldn't pass through Alliria and not stop by this place, best rooms for rent in all of the City." His smile widened and he returned the embrace to the Dwarf.

He stepped back then, as his friend had other matters to tend to. It seemed this was to be a busy morning. Khyros reclaimed his seat, and watched the others with interest, his ever present smile still on his face.

The story of a vampire harassing a tavern full of people should prove to be one worth knowing and telling.

"Storm in a teacup, then," Petros grumped. He sheathed his sword belatedly and took stock of the room. A whole lot of people seemed sociable. It being an hour before dawn, Petros did not feel the same.

"Innkeeper, please tell me you have a room. Something on the second floor if possible."

There were, after all, madmen and vampires afoot.

Bronmaen Greatbelt

Others: Khyros Amhran Jason CountofCristo Gwaerendir Formorta

• Yay
Reactions: Bronmaen Greatbelt
Khyros turned to Petros Brande and grinned.

"Best view is to be had in the attic suite, though it tends to be the most costly. You get a clear view of the strait." He chimed in with a friendly smile. "Normally I'd be able to recite the precise price, but it has been a long turn since I was last here." He turned to Bronmaen Greatbelt and raised his voice a bit. "My friend, what are your rates these days?"

• Yay
Reactions: Bronmaen Greatbelt
Dawn, Second Annenday, Peridot, 369, Dwarven Calendar
The Fire & Stone Tavern, Outer City, Alliria

The first rays of light start to shine at the coming of the sun. Orange and purple streak the sky to the east. The storm rolls on, away and to the south. "Apologies lass. That should have been simple spiced apple cider," he exclaimed and smelled the jug the liquid had come from with his broad nose before placing the container back on the bar top and frowning.

Bronmaen would respond to Jack next. "Certainly," he said as he retrieved a glazed mug and into that poured a light colored ale. It was not the typical watered down swill that taverns and inns normally sold. This drink had a refreshing lager snap and a thick head. "This is a spring ale. I hope you enjoy it," he said and then bowed before turning to Jason. "Yes," he replied to the mercenary and passed a bronze key to him after digging for it in a deep pocket at the front of a black apron he wore. "You will find your room up the stairs and to the left on the second floor. The door is already open for you," he said and immediately bowed.

Lastly he addressed his good friend Khyros and the knight, Petros. "I have four rooms still available. Sadly one of them is not the attic suite. The attic has been rented, clear through to next week I am afraid. An old man rented it and paid up front. I think he is a wizard or something like that. I nearly choked on my ale when he came in the door the night before last. He was wearing a hat that had such a wide brim to it that it very nearly didn't fit through the front door. All you could see of him was a long white beard. It seemed like his whole head was inside his hat! I still wonder how he can see with it on but he never seems to have it off when I see him."

The dwarf continued on this tangent explaining about the odd visitor but eventually got back to answering their questions. "Two silver for a day and a night. I prefer Liria if possible." He preferred coins minted in Alliria. The price was on the high side of fair for what one could expect to pay for a room in the city. He then turned to glance back in the direction of the room where he had addressed the boy, Liam. It seemed the boy was taking his sweet time about waking up and getting to the cook fire.

CountofCristo | Gwaerendir | Formorta | Jason | Petros Brande | Khyros Amhran

Last edited:
  • Yay
Reactions: Khyros Amhran
"No no it is fine, I am just not used to this sort of drink, more bitter then I expected", perhaps it would have made more sense to sip it slowly. "Though I must save you certainly are quite the brewer mister Greatbelt", herself taking another small sips, this time not being overwhelmed by the taste.

Bit by bit the beverage was drained from mug, Formorta listening to each of the other customers small stories and bedding requests. It certainly seemed like this tavern was going to have a lot of business, though her mind did fall upon the final words of Bronmaen Greatbelt pertaining to the wizard.

She could not help but feel such a person was here one some sort of secretive business, to rent out a room for so long in such a major city but in it's outskirts. Unfortunately it was non of her business and to be a sticky back would be rude, not something Formrota would willingly do unless necessary. Though, perhaps if she stuck around o visited again she'd run into said wizard.

Jason Khyros Amhran Petros Brande

Jack grabbed the ale and took a sip, he savored it and sighed. "Bornmaen, I can always count on you for a refreshing ale, good on you." Jack smiles weakly and looks at him. "You know I was a sailor right lad? I was constantly busy. Well after my retirement, I've found I'm a little to free. I don't suppose you might need a barkeep? It doesn't need to pay much, just a little something for me too do." Jack takes another sip of his ale and looks around the busy room. "I know this probably isn't the best time to ask, but my pride wouldn't let me ask you any other time."

• Yay
Reactions: Bigsby Bighat
The dwarf does not scoff at being called 'lad' despite being more than twice the age of old Jack. Bronmaen had also been made aware that Jack had been a sailor before by his own lips. "Oh? You want to serve my goods here at the tavern? I wouldn't be opposed."

No matter the former sailors answer or true want business would continue at the Fire and Stone. People would come and people would go. The day becomes night and then day. The seasons change.