Books Favourite fantasy books

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ceithernach, Sep 14, 2018.

1. Ceithernach

Ceithernach Active Member

As the title says. Hard to pick out the standouts but some of the ones I love would be

Lord of the Rings- JRR Tolkien (Hard not to love it).

Serpentwar Saga- Raymond E. Feist (probably the first darker one I remember reading after happier heroic fantasy).

The Black Company- Glen Cook (always fun to read the story from the bad guy's perspective. especially when it's a mere henchman).

The Warlord Chronicles- Bernard Cornwell (a mix of low fantasy and historical fiction but still a great read).

Conan the Barbarian- REH.

Monarchies of God- Paul Kearney (great dark fantasy series).

There's bound to be more but that's all I can think of right now!

Malachi likes this.
  2. Nidraak

Nidraak Member

Gotta say Terry Pratchett will be dearly missed. I loved his books. They were so imaginative and crazy at times. A must read for all the young at heart.
    Ehrm... The Belgariad series by David Eddings. I've not finished it... :') but I really liked it so far. it feels a bit 'standard' imo but I have no clue why I never finished it.
    A friend once coaxed me to read Blart: The Boy Who Didn't Want to Save the World, and dear lord it was quite a hilarious read. Again I only read the first book...
    I lavish in the writing of R. A. Salvatore, again didn't read all of his fantasy books, but what I did of his early work I loved.
    There's clearly a pattern with me, not my finishing books e-e

Most of mine that i read are more...happy I'd say =P There's probably so many series I'm missing out, it's just nowadays I'm more into reading romantic realism. (nothing to do with romance in the love sense)

There are some other fantasy books from classic writers I want to have a go at. Can't remember the authors...

3. Velaeri

Velaeri Judgemental Catbird

Character Biography:
    Bio
    We'll just get it out there that I'm a Harry Potter fan. Not much more needs to be said about that.

I also loved the His Dark Materials Trilogy: The Golden Compass, the Amber Spyglass, and the Subtle Knife

Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones for the show people)

Lord of the Rings

Chronicles of Amber series - highly recommend it for those that don't mind reading a story written in first person POV. Really interesting plots and very unique fantasy setting, IMO.

4. Ceithernach

Nidraak Pratchett is fantastic. He can do serious stuff as well as the comedy. Some of the books like Night Watch can be very poignant. I read Belgarath the Sorcerer but never touched the other ones in the series.

Velaeri I loved Northern Lights but not so much the other books, i think I was just a big fan of Lyra's world! I think I have a Chronicles of Amber book around somewhere so I need to give it a shot.

5. Arani

Arani New Member

You guys need to read The Obsidian Trilogy and The Dragon Prophecy trilogies.

Both are cowritten by James Mallory and Mercedes Lackey. Their style is fantastic.

I'm less a fan of The Phoenix Trilogy that they cowrote as well in the same universe, but mostly because the protagonists in that series are pretty whiny.

Ceithernach likes this.
  6. Ceithernach

Dherra I'll have to give them a gander so! I know the authors but haven't heard of the series.

Ah I'd be the same, a whiny protagonist makes for a tough read.

7. Haelen Blacklocks

Haelen Blacklocks Prince In Exile

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Riftwar Cycle by Raymond E. Feist. The books have inspired every part of my roleplaying experience in fantasy. I was never big on reading but one vacation I was told to read Magician. Within the week I had wasted my vacation reading Magician, Silverthorn and Darkness at Sethanon. I hardly left the cabin. I was entranced. I still continue to re-read the books and listen to the audiobooks. I'm utterly in love with the series. The Empire trilogy is my favorite of them all.

I'm very excited to see where the TV adaption goes.

Ceithernach likes this.
  8. Ceithernach

I started off with the Serpentwar Saga Haelen Blacklocks , Erik's war against the Emerald Queen was an addictive read. I've read the first of the Empire series, the look at the Tsurani was really cool.

I love that collaborative one he wrote, Honoured Enemy, the smaller scale story worked very well. Great insight to the dark elves and it gets across how brutal the war in the north is.

9. Poe

Poe Member

OOOOOH! Saw this and about leaped out of my chair for joy! Books are the best! OK, so here's the list:
    The Belgariad Series by David Eddings - Great standard fantasy with a few refreshing twists and his characters are some of the best!
    LOTR and Silmarillion - Can't not list these gems!
    Witcher series by Andrzej Sapkowski - Fantastic! Current all time favorite
    Drizzt Do'Urden series by R.A. Salvatore - Really, really good ones here and there are A LOT, got me into D&D
    Stormlight Archive by Brandon Sanderson - Just got into these but have read all that have been printed and am loving them!
    Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson - Not your typical fantasy but still the first few are really good.
    Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson - Struggling to make it through the first book in this one but it's been good so far

I think that's about it, probably forgetting some and will update accordingly. There's quite a few already listed in this thread that I've not heard of before and will have to try, thanks for the recommendations!

Ceithernach likes this.
  10. Ceithernach

Hey Poe

I've read Belgarath the Sorcerer but not tried the rest of the series.

Agree absolutely on Tolkien's stuff :)

I've read the first Witcher book and I enjoyed the games too. Very enjoyable, their take on elves is fantastic.

Not read but heard alot about Drizzt and the rest of Salvatore's books.

Same about anything by Brandon Sanderson. Only read his books that finished the Wheel of Time.

Thomas Covenant...fucking hell, never met someone else who's read them! So bloody depressing but with some great moments. The Warward marching to Doom's Retreat, the quest for the Staff of Law, they terrified me at first (I think I was too young the first time I read them).

I have several of the Malazan books on my shelf, I'm going to start them someday. I've heard they're a slog but I'm determined.

I appreciate the suggestions as well. We've all rread different stuff so it's good to compare.

Poe likes this.
  11. Rorric Bochanan

Rorric Bochanan Count of Jorunnr

Character Biography:
    Bio
    Joe Abercrombie's First Law series

12. Nicopernicus

Nicopernicus Member

Dragonlance Chronicles were a great read, although I can't say I finished the whole series, and Elminster's the Making of a Mage!!!