Completed Enjoying the Sunrise

Zael Castomir

Slayer of Ganfarred
Character Biography
Link
AnomalyScreenshot1-.jpg

Beauty had a magic all its own, the ability to enrapture for a time those who beheld it and took into their hearts a true appreciation of it. Gulfs of time existed on either side of such a moment, past woes assuaged and future worries muted. A small, ephemeral paradise was there to be had for the beholders, if they but spared a moment to embrace it.

Zael had seen many sunrises. But this one, for reasons he could not explain and was blissfully content in not being able to do so, had him transfixed.

Through the trees of the sparse wood and the lolling gray clouds came the gentle shafts of morning light. Upon the rough dirt and patchy grass of the clearing was painted the soft and pinkish rays of the rising sun. The air was warm and the smell of a fresh sprinkle of rain permeated all around. The world basked in the glow of a divine, lifegiving fire whose brilliance was cresting slowly above the horizon in the east.

It didn't matter where he had come from or where he was going in this present moment.

He just stood, looking toward that light with a serene smile. His companion was nearby.

"It's somethin else, isn't it?"

Last edited:
  • Ctuhlu senpai
Reactions: Everleigh Ebersol
Yeah, the sun is beautiful today,Everleigh Ebersol said, looking at Zael’s profile. The early morning rays framed his features with a soft champagne golden glow. It set his hair to shine bright like starlight in cloudless sky with a warm edge of molten heat. Soon enough, she was bringing her violet gaze towards the the sunrise itself, appreciating it’s light illuminating the sparse wood, catching the dewdrops on blades of grass just right so it shined like effervescent diamond droplets.

Everleigh rubbed at her cheek, bringing her eyes back towards Zael to then only look away again. Her fingers itched, nervously so, but she remained still. Taking in a slow and steady breath, she exhaled after Zael had inhaled. This was nice. The quiet morning. The delicate beginning of bird song carried along cool air, the moist earth beneath her sturdy boots. Yes, this was more than nice.

Zael Castomir

• Yay
Reactions: Zael Castomir
There was still a little work packing up the camp that needed to be done. A full day ahead. But it could wait. Hell yeah it could wait.

And to put a fine point on it, Zael tossed his sheathed sword to the ground. He'd been in mid-motion of strapping it on when the sight of the sunrise arrested him. That sword had been in his hand so much that it was an honorary part of him, been with him through times as exciting as they were harrowing, but it could wait. Funny, how easy it was to let it go when he really wanted to.

Because it was just a piece of metal. It wasn't all that important when compared to other things.

He glanced over at Everleigh.

Smile untroubled.

"Gets you to thinkin, doesn't it?" He relaxed against the trunk of a tree, hooking his thumbs into plates of his armor about his waist. "Does for me."

Everleigh Ebersol

• Thoughtful
Seeing Zael tossing his sword to the ground to only get cozy against a tree caused Everleigh’s eyes to widen. She supposed that his comment wasn’t a passing one and that he wanted this moment. If it were someone else, someone like Edric or even Tinker, she would have urged them to hurry up. Packing up camp, moving out, there were things that needed to be done. Besides, it’s not like she never witnessed a sunrise with Zael before. But this one was different, being just the two of them.

Squatting down low, she got in a comfortable position herself, perched on the toes of her feet. With her elbows resting on her thighs, she brought her head onto her hands. She was quiet as she pondered Zael’s words. What did sunrises mean to her? Another day, she supposed, another chance, another moment. That was with a positive mindset.

Plenty of times she had woken up and dreaded the call of the rooster back in the academy. Sometimes it was too exhausting.

Thinking further back, she remembered her home. Her real home before she was taken to the academy. Her father would wake before daylight even cut through the purple ridges of the hills and mountains. Plenty of times she would wake up alongside him, going out to check on their goat, making sure no foxes had gotten into their small chicken pen that only housed two hens. She wondered if her family had more now by having one less member.

Does it?” Everleigh asked, tilting her head towards Zael. “What are you thinking about right now?

Zael Castomir

• Cthuloo
"You know I like fightin," Zael said. "Love it. Could do it all day and all night. Hell, in my opinion, that's the one good thing the Academy ever did, put us all to fightin one another. Nothin gets you to knowin someone like havin a good spar with em. Except maybe fightin alongside them in a battle."

"You know I like thrills,"
Zael said further. "Gamblin, like you; all that daredevil stuff—I was like a kid in a summer fair when I first learned how to fly with my magic; those old brothel runs; bein a dick to the Proctors, even though they'd beat me twice as hard and freeze my balls off; even some of the missions I've been on I've enjoyed."

He let that list hang in the air for a moment. Looked into the east toward that soft obscuration of the sun behind the thin curtain of those smooth, lazy clouds. He could feel it on his face, the embrace of the dawn.

"But I see somethin like this and I think to myself, 'Maybe there's somethin I'm missin. Maybe there's somethin really good out there, really good, just waitin for me to find it.' I love fightin, I love thrills, I ain't quittin either, but they're just pieces of the puzzle. It's not complete. Life's got a present for me, for you, for everybody really, if they just try hard enough to find it. And you know what? If I'm not crazy, if I haven't been listenin to Kristen's sentimental ass too much, then I'm up for the challenge. I'm gonna find it."

Again he looked over (this time down) to her. That same light, the simple embrace of dawn, framed her too. The purple of her hair shined in vivid relief.

He crouched down as well, such that they were eye-to-eye.

"What do you think, Ever?"

Everleigh Ebersol

• Ctuhlu senpai
Everleigh was silent, nodding her head here and there to show that she was listening, and of course she truly was. Zael’s words, for whatever reason it may be, always had a knack for being stored in a extra safe spot in her mind. It was as they were items full of loving memories and she was gently and carefully placing them in a wooden box to save and keep forever.

And this time, the conversation was different than the others.

Her mind was racing as well. Fighting, gambling, thrill-seeking, thriving in an environment that was full of competition. It was exciting, it was a life that Everleigh couldn’t imagine leaving behind. It was fulfilling in a way many things were, but also, it wasn’t. Where there was pride there was also a sense of being lonely but not alone. Where there was appreciation there was all the comparison of everyone around them. Were there was a sense of accomplishment, whether it was winning or surviving, there was also the feeling of looking over and seeing another bigger mountain to climb.

Sounds like you’re missing peace.” Everleigh said, meeting Zael’s gaze. “I think all of us have been running for so long it’s all we know how to do. But…” she lowered her gaze that had turned sheepish, a faint flush decorating her cheeks. “Well, I mean, it was kinda nice back on the Pasiphae, when you and I were just talking.” She omitted the part with his head on her lap. “Something like that but not being in a make-shift jail cell on a pirate ship to Cerak At’thul would be nice, especially if it lasted more than two hours, I think.

Zael Castomir

Last edited:
  • Bless
"Guess those pirates were good for somethin," Zael said, grinning. The grin was partly from his comment, yeah, but partly as well from having seen Ever get all bashful and drop her gaze. It warmed his heart, and it also struck right to the (heh) heart of what he was saying. A difficult and almost intangible concept to grasp, at least for him and probably plenty of other Initiates as well, but he knew that little flush and drop of a gaze was a part of it.

Right? It had to be. Here was a trained killer acting...not like a trained killer. Hell, same thing with him, as he sat here waxing on during an early morning and appreciating a simple sunrise.

"Yeah. Strange, huh? All these years in the Academy and what's one of the best parts?"
He shook his head and just started laughing. "Bein held captive on a pirate ship and sailin away to be sold into a deathmatch arena!" He glanced around, as if that memory and sparse others like it were alive and aglow in front of him. "All just because we got a moment to stop runnin down the Academy Way for a little bit and be...somethin else."

Now it was his turn to glance down. He was still smiling, but it had turned a little tight.

"Remember when the Revolution first happened?"

Everleigh Ebersol

• Cthuloo
He had a point, most of the good memories tended to come from not doing what a initiate should do a hundred percent of the time. Of course, Everleigh was hardly the perfect academy student, even if her marks suggested otherwise.

She noticed the change in mood. The Revolution was a interesting subject, only because so many were divided on it. Henk appreciated it, Everleigh personally didn’t. She figured Zael was like her, but at the same time….

Of course,” Everleigh said neutrally, careful in how she would phrase her next words. “I don’t think I’ll ever forget.”

Zael Castomir

• Yay
"Yeah...nobody really believed it at first. We were all still so set in the old way." Zael snorted out a laugh. "Some of us still are: you know who I'm talkin about."

Then he got back on track.

"Now, I got plenty of gripes with the Revolution and the Republic. I air em whenever I can. But, if there was one good thing the Revolution did, it..." He thought about how to say it for a moment, "...gave me a new way of lookin at things."

That tight smile again.

"I was ready to kill anyone I had to to graduate. Anyone." He tried to keep it in, but a small pang of guilt colored his repetition of that word. "All my little rebellions and backtalkin and still, in the end, I was ready to toe the fuckin Academy line like everyone else. Then the Revolution comes, and, wouldn't you know it, all of a sudden everythin's changed. Graduation's changed. And what should have been obvious is clear enough to be impossible to miss."

And here came a contentment, a satisfaction with the ways things were now, and his smile became genuine again. "What kind of boot-lickin asshole would kill his own friends at some Proctor's say-so? Don't get me wrong, I'll kill anyone who comes at me, especially if it's a real piece of work like Bull. I don't got everythin figured out just yet—all those pieces of the puzzle, right—but I damn well know somethin firm now. They wanted to turn me, turn you, turn all of us into weapons. So it's the ultimate rebellion to be a decent human being."

Zael basked in the light of the rising sun, letting his head tilted back and soak it in. He rolled his eyes over then to glance at Ever, a brilliant shine of resolve in them.

"If they ever try to make me do somethin I know isn't right, I'm just gonna say, 'I ain't that man.'"

And again, with a quiet and blissful confidence.

"I ain't that man."

Everleigh Ebersol

• Aww
What an idea, to say that to rebel against the proctors was to be human. Such a thought could only belong to someone like Zael, and the way he explained it… well, Everleigh felt similarly. It was crazy to think that for graduation they would have to kill people, their own classmates. But that’s what it was and there was nothing anything of them could do. It was either kill or be killed.

Yeah, I don’t think you are that man.” Everleigh said, smiling softly towards Zael. “And I’m glad to say that.” She ran her tongue over her lower lip, thinking over a few things. “I struggle accepting the Revolution.” She admitted finally, and shrugged. “But I don’t think I hate it completely.

“Unlike you, I never really minded if I would have to kill another classmate. No one spoke to me, stood close to me. Everyone gave me a wide berth. And all I thought was how I needed to be strong enough to not be killed. Honestly… I thought only how to kill my classmates.
” She paused, and sighed again, her shoulders slumping. “I’ve infected everyone with poison in case… in case I were to go up against someone like Edric or Kalix or Sable. All I thought was how easy it would be for them to kill me in a blink of an eye, I had to play it smart and cheat.

“But the Revolution changed that. No need for my all my hard work. All my paranoia and sleepless nights, gone. For nothing. Or so I thought. I guess with the revolution I’ve traded that in for a different skill set. I’m still deadly, but through the revolution I’ve learned that I’m also funny and witty, and people trust me to come up with ideas. People also don’t mind touching me, as long as I show them it’s okay
.” Everleigh nodded her head.

You’re not that man and I’m not poison. We both get to be human. At least now because of the Revolution.”

Zael Castomir

Last edited:
  • Love
Zael said whatever he wanted whenever he liked. Problem was, for stuff like this, not every set of ears was the same.

But Ever got it. She knew where he was coming from, and he didn't have any doubts that she might not. And why would he? Who snuck the most stuff right underneath the Proctors' noses, all that non-Academy, non-gettin-better-at-killin-people stuff? Ever, that's who. She knew when to run the Academy way, and when was a good opportunity to stop and take a breather.

More than anything, she was one of the good ones. And what she said proved it. Zael didn't even mind the part about the poison—wasn't he ready to burn anyone he needed to in order to graduate under the old way? And she was funny and witty, which meant she had more damn personality than the most of the ol' Wooden lot that was most of their flatly serious peers. He didn't miss that part about touch either—mystery solved at last.

He took a moment to soak it all in. Then said, "Hell yeah, Ever."

It didn't take long after for him to flash one of his signature cheeky grins.

"I'm still gonna be raisin hell. The Revolution doin me and you a little good doesn't mean they get a pass for everythin that came before it."

Everleigh Ebersol

• Smug
Everleigh grinned back at Zael. She couldn’t have said it better, ‘hell yeah’ was right.

But then that brought another thought to the forefront. Everleigh swallowed her first initial question, waited a moment until it was something better, something less… vulnerable.

So you’re still joining the guard.” A statement, that was the easy part. “Are you going to be leaving right after graduation for the guard?” There, setting it up. Not so hard, right, Everleigh?

Zael Castomir

• Yay
Hey, that was a pretty good question.

"I guess so. Probably how it works, right? Unless the Republic's got it set up for us to have a little vacation before reportin in. Kress, I'm gonna be runnin my unit within a month of gettin there. The officers are gonna be pissed and the lads are gonna love it."

Then came the part he was wondering about.

"You?" Then he shook his head in a playfully chiding way and said, "Whatever you do, don't you take that pity money from the reserves."

It would be funny to light the monthly stipend on fire though, if Zael or anyone did pick the reserves. It'd be the only acceptable way.

Everleigh Ebersol

• Sip
Well,” Everleigh began slowly, “I always thought that… I guess I just thought I’d be in the same unit as you.” Somehow, she was able to look at Zael as she said this. “You know, fighting side by side, or doing whatever side by side. Besides, you know me, I like to earn my money, not sit around doing nothing.” She did smile, thinking of all the times they fought side by side, and one in particular stood out. “If there is time before going straight into the guard, we should go back to Arnim. I want to give Mathias the coin back for his beloved cows and… I think Miklan would like to know that you graduated.

Zael Castomir

• Bless
Now that would be the best possible outcome, huh. Same unit. Hell, didn't Dreadlords get perks? Shouldn't they, if they didn't? Couldn't they just put it some kind of request for the same unit? Heh, probably not—Republic or monarchy, anything worthwhile from the ruling pricks had to be fought for tooth-and-nail.

Then Ever had a killer idea.

"I like that, Ever," Zael said, nodding along in firm agreement. "I like that a lot. Even if there isn't time..." the ol' devilish, let's-play-with-fire grin made its appearance, "...we can find a way to make time."

He glanced off towards the sun, now a little higher but still barely cresting the horizon, then back.

"You know what tomorrow is?"

Everleigh Ebersol

• Thoughtful
Everleigh beamed at Zael, happy that he didn’t find her idea stupid. And who knew, perhaps she could sneakily lurk behind corners and watch Miklan and Zael interacting again. It would be nice to see that sort of big brotherly tenderness from the shit-stirrer that was Zael. She nodded head— making time couldn’t be too hard.

Maybe another mission out that way, or maybe—

Tuesday?” Everleigh said, raising a brow.

Zael Castomir

• Smug
Everleigh grinned at Zael. His birthday? Eighteen? Oh, so now he was legal.

You sneaky,” Everleigh stood up, mimicking Zael’s drawl as she had done countless times before; and with each word she took a step, “lil cheeky son of a bitch.” Right beside him, leaning down, she put Zael in a chokehold, using his favorite move against him to obnoxiously poke his cheek, all the while grinning down at him. “So we’re celebrating, right?” She asked, pulling the blonde closer to her as her free hand ruffled up his hair. “I’m sure we can find a little pit stop to let you break loose.”

Zael Castomir

• Cheer
Zael reached up to grab hold of the arm across his neck, but made no real effort to escape. He was too busy grinning and laughing and enjoying the rough physicality. Right here. This right here was a little piece of that overarching puzzle he had been talking about: having a good time. Not just any good time, but...damn, how to say it...one that had a deep, meaningful joy to it.

"You read my mind there, Ever," Zael said, one of his eyes squinting shut as she messed up his hair. He turned his head to look back as much as he could. "The Academy's just gonna have to deal with us bein late on the return trip. Tomorrow's an off day, because I said so and because we earned it."

Zael stood up then, lifting Ever with her arm about his neck and his back supporting her body—like a piggy-back ride with an extra dash of strangulation. "So let's go find that nice little pit stop."

Everleigh Ebersol

• Aww