Private Tales Drugs and Deceit

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Mute

Character Biography
Link
The mute and the urchin sat at an large and otherwise vacant table at the Elven Arrow Tavern, patiently waiting for others to arrive. At the moment, Mute was working on a piece of parchment, drawing the docks from memory as best he could. He'd learned over the years that when you had no tongue, it was best to come up with other methods of communication. Luckily he had discovered that he had at least a little talent with a pencil, that came in handy whenever there were plans to be made. And there were big plans to be made tonight, that was for sure.

Mute took a sip of the mug of ale in front of him. As for the lad, he'd have to make do with murky water. He wasn't going to cough up any coin for the lad to get himself a real drink. For one, he himself thought the mite was too young for ale anyway, and secondly, Urchin getting drunk before a job was the absolute last thing he needed. The boy was on scouting duty after all. He had to keep his wits about him... Whatever little wits he had, anyway.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Móirne
The lad swirled the glass of water in front of him before setting it down with a cringe. Whatever made it that slightly off brow color, he didn't want to know. "Oh come on, big guy? Just one shot o' rum? I promise I wun ask nuthin' more from ya till the day I die." Mute simply shot the boy a scowl in response, knowing full well that if he gave the lad an inch, he'd take a mile.

"Okay, okay," he grumbled. He could wait. Besides, after this job was done, he'd have enough coin to get himself piss blind drunk for a month! "Well, they should be showin' up soon anyhow. I contacted every mage, 'ired muscle and bounty 'unter I could find. Ain't sure 'ow many will show up but I'm 'opin' for a big ol' team! Maybe twenty or thirty! Gonna sort 'em bastards out for us! Will cost us a bloody fortune, but once we got our 'ands on the uncut shit, we'll make triple whatever we 'ave ta pay 'em anyway. Zilvra's gonna be 'appy with us, that's fer damn sure!" Unfortunately, the lad might have been just a little overenthusiastic about how much assistance he could get on such short notice. He'd be lucky if he could get four or five people to show up. And once they arrived, the poor old mute would have to readjust his plans accordingly.

• Cheer
Finnegan was glad to be on the job again. He had also sent out the same message to a half elf girl he knew was looking for something.

Finn was fantastic with a dagger and trained in hand to hand combat. His occupation choice did lead to a rather nasty scar on his arm though.

Never the less, Finnegan sauntered into the tavern. His signature brown leather skin jacket slung over his shoulder, blade concealed in his boot. He ordered himself a drink and asked the bartender if he knew a man named Urchin

• Yay
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Móirne and Urchin
Rou had overslept, she dressed quickly and sprinted over to the tavern, her bow and arrows knocking around on her back as she did.

Rou had a rather predominant cut on her left ear, it cut the tip of her ear basically in half. It wasnt gruesomely cut or anything but the separation was visable.
She basically stumbled through the door and placed both handles on the bar, took in a deep breath and ordered herself a drink.

• Yay
  • Sip
How had it come to this?

The pale dark skinned Elf sat before a table with her ice blue eyes staring across it at a golem-sized man. The dirty, open vest belied his occupation, as did the scent of sweat from his toil. His face-splitting grin shattered when he let out a cry and slammed his elbow down on the table between them. A small crowd of his friends had taken up positions on the surround to observe and cheer their mate on.

Slowly Samara positioned her elbow on the table and extended her hand forward until the man snatched it out of the air. His fingers wrapped tightly about her hand. Perhaps if she'd still been a normal Elf his bulging muscles might have injured her from the contact alone. What this overly friendly souls failed to realize was her well defined muscles were deceptive. Tree-trunk sized limbs weren't necessary.

As the onlookers chanted their countdown, Samara continued to gaze into the challenger's eyes. The Elf blew him a kiss in the last second. He could claim such a beautiful and strong woman blowing him a kiss threw him off his game later. Wouldn't matter how true the statement was. Either way, Samara's grip tightened as the show of strength began.

The ever so slight wilt of the grin and reflex of the brow amused Samara. Her hand hadn't been thrown down into the table as anticipated. In fact, the two of them seemed to be struggling to budge from the center at all. Their stalemate lasted a few seconds before Samara began to put her body into it.

Cries of encouragement grew the further the Elf pushed the man's hand over. Until she slammed it down into the tabletop and released him.

"Better luck next time," Samara said as she stood with a smile. Her gaze lingered with the man for a moment before she turned to stride off with a few coins in hand. They hadn't noticed her retrieve the pot while they tried processing what had happened.

Samara flipped one of the coins in the air as she neared the table Urchin and Mute occupied. "Mind company?" Her other hand rested upon her hip just above the sword fastened there. "I was told there would be a good time."

• Popcorn
  • Wonder
Móirne idly swirled her ale in her hand before chugging it and slamming the empty mug down on the counter. She pushed it towards the bartender and glanced at the man next to her. If he was asking about Urchin, he was probably also contacted about this job. A mercenary, perhaps, or maybe a bounty hunter like herself. She mentally noted his young appearance and defining features. If this was someone she had to work with, it would be better to memorize his face now so she didn't accidentally kill him later.

Eventually, Móirne tore her eyes away from the brunette and collected her refilled drink. She wasn't in any rush. If there were still people looking around for Urchin, he probably didn't have everyone assembled yet.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Urchin
He ordered himself a drink and asked the bartender if he knew a man named Urchin

"Man?" the bartender asked with a raised eyebrow and an amused laugh. "Well, we've got an urchin that lingers about the place, but I wouldn't call what you're looking for a "man". Dirty little runt of a card cheat is over there," he said, pointing to Urchin's table. "The red head, sitting there with the dark man. Never says a word that one. Gives me the creeps."

Eventually a rather striking looking dark haired, pale skinned woman sat down beside them. She was stunningly beautiful, but it struck Mute as the dangerous kind of beauty. Like the rose that draws fingers to the thorns, or the pit viper who beneath all those shining green scales held enough venom to kill an army. This one looked promising. Very promising indeed.

• Popcorn
"Mind company?" Her other hand rested upon her hip just above the sword fastened there. "I was told there would be a good time."

The lad gave an enthusiastic smile as a woman arrived, sitting herself down at the table beside him. "Oh yeah Miss. Real good times 'ere. Big job ta be done. Big job. Lots of silver ta be made. 'Ow's about I can buy ya a drink, i we can talk over all the details?" he offered... Then as he searched through his pockets, he quickly remembered that he had nothing but a couple of coppers and a half eaten bag of boiled sweets to his name. Not even enough to buy the lady a drink, unless she'd be happy with a glass of milk.

"Uh..." he mumbled awkwardly. "Say Mute, do ya mind buying the nice lady a drink?" he asked hopefully. "This 'ere is Mute. They call 'im that 'cos... Well, ya know. He's in charge of this whole operation. Real smart, but not much fer conversation. Great listener though. Oh, an' I'm Urchin. I'm guessin' yer one of the folks I was askin' after. Which one are ya? Sorry, didn't get a description ta go with all the names."

• Popcorn
A man that didn't say a word, and another that couldn't stop. One of life's little ironic partnerships. Pleasant enough to work with so far though. No weapons being drawn; no threats being carelessly thrown around. Excessive paranoia was quite debilitating, and it was nice to see these two weren't consumed by it.

"The one they don't see coming." Samara smiled over at Urchin. The youth's enthusiasm was pleasant enough. Not to mention his manners. Long as he didn't try feeding her. Drink she could keep down, but food always found its way back up. "If that's to get in unseen, or maneuver around them until I want them to see me," her eyes slid over to Mute, "I'll leave that in your capable hands." If he was as smart as Urchin let on.

Finnegan followed the bartenders gaze, but bushed off his side commentary.
He walked over to the table. Inspecting those who sat there, taking them in.

He pulled on his jacket and took a seat next to Samara, "Hey Doll." He smirked then greeted the men with a nod of his head. "Names Finnegan, am I at the right table?"

Before anybody had the chance to answer him a girl walked over with some speed inturupting them.

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Rou had overheard the bartender telling the tall, handsome man where Urchin was. "Sorry I'm late," she plocked her bow and arrows down on the table and found a seat next to Mute. She raised her hand and waved towards the bartender , pointed at the table and snapped her finger - signaling she wanted some ale.

"Names Rou, Rou Stonewall."
From a spectators perspective Rou seemed like a sweet young women but she was exactly the opposite, she was hardened from her life in the shallows. She had quite the mouth on her though, was an excellent shot and hated being told how to do her job.

• Popcorn
  • Cheer
Móirne frowned and finished her drink. The universe truly loved proving her wrong. As soon as she'd thought she could get away with spending a few more minutes alone, a bunch of people had shown up and sat at Urchin's table. And, considering the job, she doubted any more would arrive.

She sighed and ran a hand through her hair. Móirne knew she couldn't push off joining them any longer. Her hand disappeared into her pocket and pulled out her payment. She placed it at the bar.

Then, Móirne headed toward the table with a resigned look on her face. She sat down and scrutinized them silently, carefully cataloging their names and faces.

Urchin was certainly younger than she'd expected. In fact, they all were. She was probably the oldest in the group, at least among the humans. The two women looked elven, the unnamed one appearing strangely pale. An undead, perhaps. Either way, it made her feel old.

Last edited:
  • Popcorn
Mute shot Urchin a glare as the boy offered the woman a drink to be paid with using his coin. Bloody cheek. Oh well, he'd be shelling out a lot more coin than the cost of a few drinks before the night was over. Heading over to the bar, Mute slammed some coins down and gestured towards a bottle of red wine. Ladies liked wine, right? Zilvra was fond of it anyway. Unfortunately, the bartender followed his gesture and, rather than fetching a glass of red wine, he fetched the entire bottle. With no way to correct him, Mute sighed, put a few more coins on the bar to cover the cost and headed back to the table with a bottle of wine and a handful of glasses. Just as well. It looked like more company had arrived.

Sitting himself back down, the mute glanced over to new faces that had arrived. A well muscled young man who looked like he could handle himself in a bar brawl. A lovely elven maiden with a stunning pair of mismatched eyes, equipped with a bow and arrow. A beautiful tall and toned woman with striking pink and purple hair and metal armor at her forearms and calves. Yes, these all looked like they'd do nicely for the job ahead. Now all he had to do was sit and wait for the rest of them... Of course, there were going to be more. Right? Surely the little runt couldn't have fucked up another job.

• Popcorn
"The one they don't see coming." Samara smiled over at Urchin. "If that's to get in unseen, or maneuver around them until I want them to see me,"

"Good ta know," he said with a smile of approval, He couldn't help but feel impressed and also slightly intimidated by this woman. She just seemed to inspire respect and admiration so effortlessly. He wished he could be more like that, but the boy had a long way to go before he could gain that kind of respect. "What I meant though were, ya got a name ta go along with them nifty set o' skills?"

He smirked then greeted the men with a nod of his head. "Names Finnegan, am I at the right table?"

"Finnegan. Yeah, I remember that name. Nice ta meet ya. I'm Urchin, an' the big guy's Mute," he introduced himself and gestured to his companion over at the bar.

"HI Rou. Dun worry, you ain't late. Yer right on time. I'm Urchin. The big guy's Mute, an' that's Finnegan," He introduced everyone again.

Then, Móirne headed toward the table with a resigned look on her face. She sat down and scrutinized them silently, carefully cataloging their names and faces.

The boy's eyes went wide as the woman sat down at the table. "Oh wow! Yer hair's pink!" he declared, staring at it like his eyes were transfixed. "Ain't never seen a lady with pink hair before. It looks real pretty." He commented with a bright smile. "I'm Urchin yet again," he introduced himself once more before pointing to each of his associated in turn. "Mute, Finnegan, Rou," he named them all before gesturing to Samara. "An' she's the one ya dun see comin'."

• Popcorn
Samara slowly closed her eyes, and by the time she'd turned to regard Finnegan had opened them again. Her hand rose and then slowly stretched out behind the man that'd settled in next to her. The tips of her fingers played idly at the nape of the man's neck. She smiled for him. A beautifully enamored Elf taken in by his boyish charms... or a Vampire whose fingers could snap shut around his neck and pin him to the table for a drink. Lucky for him, the latter was a bit on the nose surrounded by so many people; her little secret of what could have been.

When you were turned into a monster against your will you had to find the little things in life to make it tolerable. Knowing and keeping dark little secrets from those around her became a passtime. At first for survival. Then for amusement.

Then another Elf joined them, which drew Samara's gaze. Olive skin. Pretty. Not terribly dissimilar to her own, though hers was a paler tone from a lineage of dark elves, as some called them. Far too many thought Elves could only be fair skinned. She wondered if Rou was called a dark elf often.

A third woman drew near though her visage spoke of a desire to do otherwise. Samara slowly regarded the length and form of the colorful woman. It was her muscular physique that held her attention. Someone else that didn't spend their days lounging in a haystack while clouds passed over head. It wasn't her acquired cursed nature that accounted for all of Samara's own strength; she'd been plenty strong before all that. Not nearly as much as she was now -- just one of those perks that didn't make up for everything else.

"Samara." The Elf smiled at Urchin once more in answer to his question. "My title's too long in the heat of the moment." Nothing wrong with a little levity even while maintaining her composure.

A moment passed as her eyes slid back to Mute. Then she turned back to Urchin, "Now, then, how many others do you expect will be joining us? How much do each of us expect to earn from all of this?" The more people, the less reward, but the more sacrificial lambs. It wasn't as though she'd come here to kill them, or watch them die, but this was to be a criminal enterprise wasn't it? They weren't posting this in the local square board for just anyone to sign up -- including the local constables. Bound to be a few people that wouldn't be missed showing up. Maybe some of them surprisingly appetizing.

Last edited:
  • Devil
  • Cheer
Móirne glanced at Urchin. She didn't like her hair; it made her conspicuous and easy to pick out. Others thought it was weird. They whispered behind her back and speculated how a human could have such strange coloring. Her lips quirked in amusement.

"Thanks, kid," said Móirne. She gestured to herself with a thumb. "I'm Móirne."

She gave the others a nod. Then, she crossed her arms and leaned back. Urchin's enthusiasm was certainly entertaining, especially combined with the looks Mute was sending him. Chuckling at Mute's exasperation, Móirne took the opportunity to lean over and glance at the parchment next to him. She made an approving noise and then retreated back to her spot at the table.

• Popcorn
"Well can we get on with it then? I don't plan on spending more time then I have to." Rou grew impatient, she wanted to know what the plan was and just get on with it.
"Oh yeah," She looked to Móirne now. "Im Rou." Then she got up and got herself another pint and came back to the table."

• Popcorn
Finnegan nodded , "I agree with curly."
He took out his tabacoo pipe and lit it, letting out a puff of smoke in Samaras direction. "Why you look so devious and moody doll?" He teased.
Finn now spoke to Móirne, "Love the hair." He winked at her.
For some reason Móirne reminded him of a dove...aaah yes, the perfect nick name he thought to himself.

• Popcorn
Mute set the bottle of wine down on the table and started passed a glass to Samara and started passing the others round the table.

"Oh, ya got some fer everyone. Yer a prince Mute, that ya are," Urchin said as he took one of the glasses and started to pour himself a glass.

Nope. That wasn't going to happen. The boy was scatterbrained enough at the best of times. He didn't need any alcohol in his system for the job ahead. As soon as the boy had finished the pouring a full glass of wine, he snatched the glass off the boy, giving a lad a shake of his head to indicate that the wine was not for him, before passing the glass over to the beautiful pink haired lady beside him. Doubtless she could handle her liquor better than a scrawny teenager.

"Well can we get on with it then? I don't plan on spending more time then I have to."

Mute agreed. More should be arriving soon, but they could at least use this time to fill in the clients with the details of the job. He nodded to Urchin, indicating that he wanted to boy to explain the situation to their little crew. Obviously he'd prefer to fill them all in himself but... Well, that wasn't really an option.

"Samara." The Elf smiled at Urchin once more in answer to his question. "My title's too long in the heat of the moment."

"Samara, that's a pretty name," the lad commented before turning back to the pink haired woman. "An' yer... Moar... Morn... More Nai? Like Mornin'?" he asked, utterly butchering the name. He had a bad habit of mispronouncing peoples names if he hadn't heard them before and they were anything longer than a single syllable.

"Why you look so devious and moody doll?" He teased.

"She ain't a 'doll', she's a 'lady'," Urchin told the young man off. "You'd know that if ya was a proper gent like me." ... Oh yes, a prime example of high society gentlemen was Urchin. His idea of how to treat a lady with respect was to whisper 'ta ever so' under his breath as he ran away with her coin purse.

The boy gave a childish pout as Mute snatched his drink away, but then he wasn't here to have a good time. He was here strictly on business. So, when Rou suggested that they got down to business and Mute nodded his agreement, he leaned back in his chair and got started on his story.

"Right I guess there's enough of ya hear ta tell ya what the job is," he said, lowering his voice. "I'll try to cut a long story short. My associate Mute an' me, we got this... Client... Well, more of a boss really... What we 'ad ta procure some goods fer... Not strictly legal goods ya see... Recreational type goods, if ya know what I mean. So, me an' Mute, we meet up with this contact what 'ooks us up with the goods we need an'... Well, lets just say we fucked it up bad. This guy what we got our goods from, I dunno what 'e cut it with, but whatever it was, it would probably 'ave left 'alf our clients dead in an alley somewhere if we'd actually sold it. Luckily I decided ta... Well... Test the merchandise before we sold it, an'... Well, let's just say that if Mute here hadn't dragged me to the docks an' dunked my 'ead under water till I woke up, then made me throw up till I could 'ardly breath, well.. I probably wouldn't be 'ere today. Thanks again fer that mate," he said to Mute with a smile. Oh, the crap his poor colleague had to put up with on his account. "So, here's the situation we're in now. We got a boss what's waitin' on a delivery of powder, an' we got a whole bunch o' powder what we 'ad ta dump in the river... So now, we gotta get more powder, an' we ain't got no coin left ta buy it with."

Yep, hardly a penny to their names, that was the tricky part, especially when trying to hire a bunch of mercenaries to do the job for them. This job was going to be a hard sell if ever there was one. "So, before we can get paid fer our services, we gotta get our 'ands on some new powder without payin; fer it. That's where you fellas come in," Urchin explained to the group. "Them no good dirty bastards what cut our stash with rat poison an' left me fer dead... Well, they got a new batch arrivin' at the docks today, an' this stuff ain't been cut yet. They got a contact in the city what does that fer 'em. So, the plan is ta get to that stash before they finish unloadin' it, run off with ten times the powder what we paid fer, sell it ta the boss lady fresh an' uncut, an' then get ourselves a massive reward fer a job well done... An' that's how we pay all of you!" he finished the story. "It's a lot of powder they're splittin', Gonna be a big old reward, split fair an' square between everybody in on the job." Of course, that meant that the less people that showed up, the bigger a cut everyone would get. For Urchin, the fact that his army of twenty to thirty mercenaries hadn't showed up yet was worrying. To everyone else, it meant a considerably bigger payout.

• Popcorn
Samara smiled over at Mute as she reached out to accept the glass of wine. There was even a coy smile over at Urchin for soliciting the purchase of the drink. A lady should keep up appearances. Not everyone liked sharing a table with someone that might literally sink their teeth into them.

While Finnegan wooed her by blowing smoke in her face, the youth had a sudden though not surprising bid to protecting Samara from the cruder man present. "You can call me your Queen, if you prefer," the Elf added as she turned to look at the pipe-smoker.

Urchin didn't waste any time in breaking down the scenario before them with a little prodding. The backstory was a touch unnecessary, but she wasn't in a hurry to leave. Long as they didn't plan on performing the heist at the top of the day when it was hottest and the sun brightest. Not exactly groundbreaking to learn there'd been... what was the common word for it? Well, trouble. Involving Urchin with Mute saving him, of course.

Speaking of which, the pair were still in trouble. They had no money. Hell of a thing to admit among company.

Drug smugglers cut the product with poison. The Drug sellers caught on -- by happenstance -- and now wanted to rob said smugglers of their pure product at greater quantity than what the sellers had originally paid for. A... stupid tax, if you will. Restitution for those of higher diction. Then their Boss gave their enterprising sellers a reward, which then paid for all the hard work.

First blush, sounded fine. Massive reward. Ten times the product. Yet not one word of a hard amount. Not that Samara cared, honestly. At this point it wasn't about the money or helping drug sellers overcome a sudden lack of sellable product. There was more in life than a heavy coin purse.

Oh, this will be fun.

"Just to be clear, do you expect us to slaughter them? I can't see how witnesses will do you much good in the long run."

• Popcorn
  • Wonder
She ain't a 'doll', she's a 'lady'," Urchin told the
Finnegan rolled his eyes, " Its called an endearment kid."

He listened intently as Urchin relayed the job, given he tried not to fall asleep with all the unnecessary details. Once the boy finally finished, Finn stretched his arms, he was tired of sitting around.

"Come now," he gave samara almost a slight pout, "doll fits your perfectly." He winked and then shot Urchin a side eye, telling the lad he better watch it.

• Popcorn
  • Sip
Once Mute had distributed the glasses between all the adults at the table, he poured himself a glass of wine and started to sip it as Urchin gave the others a basic summary of the trouble that had led to this little enterprise. He shot the lad a rather irritated glare when the boy said that they had fucked up the job. THEY fucked it up? No. HE fucked it up. Bloody opportunistic runt thinking he was an entrepreneur, trying to make deals with the big boys. It was lucky the boy had been stupid enough to sample the merchandise, or else Mute could only guess how many overdosing clients they'd have on their hands right now.

Not to mention he'd made the very obvious mistake of being vague about the payment. He wished the boy had waited until everyone had shown up so that he could have given them all a more solid amount. Hopefully this wouldn't put any of the present company off the job.

"Just to be clear, do you expect us to slaughter them? I can't see how witnesses will do you much good in the long run."

Mute gave a shake of his head, turning to Urchin and making a few vague hand gestures. An X with his hands followed by a throat slitting motion. While he hadn't had the opportunity to learn any recognizable forms of sign language, he had learned ways to communicate some very basic information to those he knew well.

On that note, as his eyes scanned the small group at the table around him, Mute made a few more gestures towards Urchin. Two clenched fists placed one on top of the other, before pointing at all the different people at the table. Hopefully the lad would pick up on his meaning.

• Popcorn
"You can call me your Queen, if you prefer," the Elf added as she turned to look at the pipe-smoker.

Urchin grinned at the woman's calm and collected confidence. He liked this lady already, he could tell. "Sure thing, Queenie. Whatever ya like." Urchin was happy to call her the High Empress of the Known Universe, so long as she helped him get the job done.

Urchin heard the woman's words and saw Mute's gesture indicating that slaughter was not preferable, but he already knew that much. He wasn't entirely stupid. "Ah, see that's the tricky part. These guys are real nasty pieces o' work, but they're also important business contacts. They smuggle all kinds o' goods inta the city. Goods what our boss gets good deals on. We kill 'em all, no more merchandise. So, we gotta try at keep deaths to a minimum. That's why we need yer 'elp see. Mute here has a talent fer smashin' folks skull together. But, someone sees us an' recognizes us while we're gettin' the job done... Let's just say they might not be so eager ta deal with us in any future business ventures."

"So, 'ere's the plan. We gotta lure the bulk o' the folks 'round the docks away. Big distraction. Like a big, explodin' fire or summin'... Though preferably summin what wun get a bunch o' innocent bystanders killed. I'm sure we can come up with summin'." No doubt Mute would have a few ideas up his sleeve. He always did.

"Come now," he gave samara almost a slight pout, "doll fits your perfectly." He winked and then shot Urchin a side eye, telling the lad he better watch it.

Obviously Finnegan and Urchin were getting off on the wrong foot. A smart boy would just shrug off the patronizing pet names and let the man call the ladies whatever he wanted... A broad, wicked little grin slowly spread across Urchin's face. Urchin was not smart. "So, what da we call you then?" he asked Finnegan tauntingly. "Angel face? Sugar lips? Baby cakes? Ya look like a baby cakes ta me," he decided, turning back to Samara with his mischievous little smile. "Dun ya think 'e looks like a baby cakes?" Oh, this was going to be fun... And would probably earn him a black eye or two before the night was over. Worth it!

Mute made a few more gestures towards Urchin. Two clenched fists placed one on top of the other, before pointing at all the different people at the table. Hopefully the lad would pick up on his meaning.

"Uh..." he mumbled uncertainly, thinking over Mute's gesture. What did the two clenched fists on top of each other mean again? "'E says 'e wants ta know what ya do... But we already know what they do. They're... Oh!" he declared, suddenly coming to the realization. "'E wants ta know what yer good at. What all yer skills an' talents are. Like, I'm guessin' Rou 'ere knows 'er way 'round a bow. What 'bout the rest o' ya. Ya got any weapons o' choice? Any special skills we should know about? Any magic at all? Magic's always useful."

• Popcorn
The Elf arched a brow a little. "Oh? Is that because you want to play with me?" One corner of her lips pulled upward as she continued to participate in the banter with Finnegan.

Urchin seemed to want to play as well, though not quite the same game. She gave him credit for being bold, but from the look on Mute's face bravery might go hand-in-hand with idiocy at times. Might explain tasting their own product.

Mute and Urchin then clarified the parameters of the job extended to the group. Apparently they wanted it to be clandestine in nature. Best they didn't know who had done it, or that it had even been done until it was too late. Suited Samara fine. Stealth was something she'd grown accustomed to as a predator that couldn't afford to leave a trail of bodies in her wake.

"For this job, you're just interested in knowing I know how to handle a blade, can mount obstacles most others would find daunting, and can avoid going unseen if I wish." She had other talents, of course, but not directly pertinent. No point mentioning she knew all about magic but can scarcely cast anything. Unless they needed a smoke-stick lit; and even then she wasn't volunteering to be their personal lighter. Yes, the most important things were she knew how to defend herself and could scale practically anything. Being consumed by darkness wasn't entirely without its perks.