Private Tales Don't Worry, It's All Light

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Smuk

Alchemic merchant
Character Biography
Link
Lysite.

A crystal with the rare power of providing an endless amount of light. Found only near the heart of mountains, it was most widely mined and used by dwarves to light the underground half of their cities. It was never freely given to other civilisations, only as a strong token of friendship to their most trusted allies. There was once a young dwarven village which was rich in lysite, until a family of pygmy dragons moved in. Though not as big as their dragon cousins, they were still quite formidable against any non-draconic creature. Everyone fled from the area and abandoned the mines. Some have ventured into the caverns to take the free lysite, but the ones who return say it's impossible to pass the pygmy dragons.

So when Smuk's good friend Cylea requested a never-ending light source for her lighthouse, he had some second thoughts. Nothing was never-ending, he explained to her, but the closest thing would be lysite. She demanded to have it, using every favour Smuk owed her and paying a generous sum of money. He agreed only on one condition, she would hire him an assistant who could hold their own against the wild creatures. Swiftly agreeing, she sent word out and sure enough someone answered.

proxy.php

'To the Lucky Duck, huh?’ Smuk wandered down a well-used side street that was lined with taverns and inns and the odd stable or two. He squinted his eyes trying to read the worn down signs. He had been there a few times before and even stayed at the attached inn, but he was damned if he could remember. It had been years and he was mostly drunk during that time. Human ale wasn't so strong but those drinking games could bring even a dwarf down. Finally he spied something that looked vaguely familiar. He checked the sign but could only make out an L and a couple of Ks. 'Good enough for me!’ He stepped into the bar and immediately remembered the smell. That wooden, firey, sweaty-toughman, beer smell.

“Is that you? Nah, couldn't be!” A gruff, all-too-familiar voice called out from behind the bar. Smuk's head swung around and his face lit up.

“Hey! Long time no see- ...pal. How's it been?” He had completely forgotten this man's name.

“Ech same old, same old. What brings you back here? I remember you sayin’ you never go to the same place twice.” Smuk strolled over to the bar and settled his backpack on a free stool.

“Well I got myself a job now didn't I. You're looking at an authentic alchemic salesman!” The bartender only laughed. Smuk gave an indignant huff, “I’ll have you know I’m on a job right now.”

The bartender stopped laughing and suddenly dived down to rifle through some papers. He came back up reading a crumpled piece of paper.

“Wouldn’t happen to be for a one Cylea Hardrin, would it?” he asked, handing the paper to Smuk.

“The very same. Let’s see…” He scanned the form, seeing a name scribbled at the bottom. All he could make out was Kaeda?”

| Kay |

• Yay
Reactions: Kay
“Yes?”
Perking up from behind her book, she directed her attention to the men in conversation. She hadn’t been waiting long and was far too engrossed in her reading to notice the passing time. Kaeda was always burrowed in the spine of some book, learning anything that she could. This particular reading was in preparation of the task to retrieve lysite. The crystal was fascinating; to provide such a long-lived source of light seemed so...unnatural. Its unparalleled energy explains the heavy protection of these mines, further proving why this alchemic merchant requested someone at his side.

When she caught wind of an opportunity for a bit of adventure, she fought her doubtful instincts and accepted. After all, she fit the bill and was aching for a break from her monotonous life. The thought seemed refreshing, but as the moment has now arrived, she was racing with second thoughts.
After quickly suppressing the uncertainty and tucking her research into her pack, she made her way over to his side of the tavern. Now facing him, she held out her gloved hand to formally greet him.

Smuk, I presume?” She raised an eyebrow and slightly cocked her head to the side.

“I suppose I’m your temporary assistant.”

Last edited:
"Oh sorry, didn't... see you there?" he trailed off awkwardly, realising mid-sentence that seeing her had nothing to do knowing who she was. He tried to shake off that awkwardness and dove straight into it. "Yes, Smuk, that's me," he said with a cheery smile, meeting Kaeda halfway and shaking her hand. He chuckled at her statement. "I like to think of it more as a travelling companion, though I will definitely need some major assistance in the combat department." He raised his arms to show off his non-existent muscles, then shook his head with a smile. "In any case, I'm glad you took the job. Have you much experience in spelunking? Or with the Seret Mountains? I know the path there but I have to admit I've never been to the range itself."

He gestured to a nearby table and laid down maps and vague blueprints of the mining town within the mountain. The blueprints didn't have much detail but it outlined the general area. He leant over them and pointed to the continental map. "So here we are in Elbion, in the tavern district. If we can get ourselves a boat in the trade district, then we could sail this river up to it's end. There's a farming village famous for their watercress that might be able to supply us with horses. Then I'd say it'll take three to four days to get to our mountain, less if we can attain mounts." He trailed his finger over the paper as he explained the route. "Does that sound good to you? Let me know if you have any concerns," he said warmly.

| Kay |

Last edited:
She appreciated his informality and lighthearted nature. “Zovq,” (pleasure). She addressed him in elven formality.

Holding her composure, she gestured to her sword, “well I suppose that’s why I’m here.
I’ve been to the Seret Mountains, briefly, but am more accustomed to forests than mountainous terrain."
Kaeda cleared her throat and continued, "I'm no spelunker, but I've read a couple of books and lightly studied the skill in the past. We have a few variables to consider. Especially with dragon-guarded caves.”

She followed his conversation and gesture to the map on the table, “no traveling concerns. With the proper equipment, there should be no problems with our route. Having said that,” she continued and inhaled lightly, “lysite is a highly coveted material. I’m worried that we may face other...travelers seeking the crystal.” She looked up at him questionably and exhaled.

“What do you think, Smuk?”

Last edited: