Fable - Ask Curious Minds

A roleplay which may be open to join but you must ask the creator first

Divina Rosenstern

Merchant Noble
Character Biography
Link
It was not uncommon for the Council member to request audiences with important guests to her gardens. But few were privileged enough to look within the high walls of the merchant Divina. Fewer still permitted within the personal ship of the merchant councilwoman. With the help of Tzuriel's influence, Rosenstern Exports only grew more powerful and influential. In fact, if it hadn't been for the merchant King of Arethil himself, her own power would have been limited to the Reach and Shallows, and little else. But with her inventions and his passion for good business, she no longer felt quite like her business would falter to ruin easily.

Her granaries were filled and waiting for the mills. Furs and cloth were produced at a rate far greater than she ever would have before. The silver mines were filling her coffers, and trade was flush with the promise of the far horizon.

And yet some things were missing in her life. Though she had lived the life of a partner before, it was different this time. One singular person had captured her attention, and though she didn't need his power or his life, she found the man intriguing, alluring, and a worthy opponent in verbal banter.

So she waited on the deck, a carafe of wine waiting with two glasses on a small table, gaze on the horizon. A rare smile touched on her lips, forgoing her usual plain dress for cream trousers, a close-fitted black vest, and a full-sleeved white blouse. As before, embroidery decorated the collar of her blouse, visible beneath some of the grey cloak she wore.

She could hardly wait to showcase this latest invention for her benefactor.

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Bless
Reactions: Tzuriel Alanthis
Tzuriel loved the ocean, he loved traveling on ships.
But Divina herself was the reason he accepted her invitation. He was the sort of guy to enjoy the life of the wealthy, parties, drinking, women... Especially women. He'd probably experienced everything but a pure and lasting relationship... Everything but Divina.
He joined her on the deck of her own private craft, a fine ship but he was more interested in whatever reason she he'd invited him here.

He approached the set up and the woman herself, striding across the deck. He was dressed in a fine white button up and the tight leather riding trousers and high riding boots he wore on the way to meet with her.
He smiled charmingly at her as he greeted her.
"Divina! Thank you for the invitation. Although you've managed to be tantalizingly vague in your letter you've got me simply dying to know. But first, how have you been? How's life treating you?"

As before, she had kept her letter specifically vague to intrigue. She enjoyed his company, and seeing the man again brought a smile to full lips, blue eyes glinting slightly as she took in the sight of him. It had been a long time since their meeting in her home at Mor'dalaise; he seemed fresh off the road, in fact. She could have easily sailed to meet at his own ports, but that would spoil part of the intrigue.

"Tzuriel," she replied, bowing her head. "It's to be a surprise. A lady can't reveal all her cards in a letter." But still, she could feel herself standing tall, a hand on her hip and gaze level to meet his own. Anticipation hummed in the air, and she gestured to the wine, tilting her head slightly. "I have another invention that may yet perhaps further the reaches of merchant ships, but there's more than that I would like to discuss."

Then she paused, meeting his own stare. "As for me..."

Much had changed. Rosenstern brand had changed. Her younger sisters and their marriages each bore children; in fact, she had recently visited her latest nephew. Seeing the loving parents with their legacy reminded her of her own; though the brand was meant originally to secure her parents into a comfortable retirement and to allow her sisters and their families the luxuries they were denied as children, there was a part of her that still desired that. She had almost had it, before, but times were different, then.

She was different then.

"I have been busy," she smiled openly, shoulders relaxed and posture tall. "In fact, I have just come from the Golden Road. Do you mind if we chart a small course? Nothing too far," she assured, in case he had any time restraints. "But I promise to have you back before nightfall." Her voice was teasing, light, as she began to pour a glass for herself and him, if he was interested. "And you? How have you been?"

Tzuriel Alanthis

"Tzuriel," she replied, bowing her head. "It's to be a surprise. A lady can't reveal all her cards in a letter."
"Milady, I suspect you enjoy it far more than you should."
He bowed at the hip, taking her hand and gently kissing it before straightening again.
"I have another invention that may yet perhaps further the reaches of merchant ships, but there's more than that I would like to discuss."

Then she paused, meeting his own stare. "As for me..."
He shook his head laughing softly, "I don't know how you do it, but somehow you've managed to wet my appetite even more to hear about this new development."
Still smiling he pulled out a chair for her at the table. He maintained eye contact, it was sort of their own thing, their code, their sharing of respect by giving the other their full attention.
He took the seat across from her and let her serve the wine, a bottle which he remembered tasting the first time they met... In itself not unusual, most of his encounters with the opposite sex involved wine at some point, but he remembered this particular vintage.

"I have been busy," she smiled openly, shoulders relaxed and posture tall. "In fact, I have just come from the Golden Road. Do you mind if we chart a small course? Nothing too far," she assured, in case he had any time restraints. "But I promise to have you back before nightfall." Her voice was teasing, light, as she began to pour a glass for herself and him, if he was interested. "And you? How have you been?"
He pretended to think about it, putting on a small show of himself mentally sifting through his calendar before shaking his head, "I'm this far in, might as well plot away!"
He accepted the glass and sipped it before answering her question.
"I've been busy as well. With the state of the world in constant swing there is a constant need for safe trade and travel, business has never been better. I dare say I've doubled my fortune by this point... There's certainly been a few interesting snags and unfortunate developments, but these things always sort them out eventually."
He thought back to a rather impulsive contract he signed involving a certain paladin, Heike Eisen . For all of his success he wondered for how long he would be able to enjoy it.
He turned his attention back to the beautiful Divina, his blue eyes had faltered in their stare for but a moment, but he was back now.

It had been too long since she had simply enjoyed company. But her first two husbands taught her well, perhaps almost too well; grant your audience with a price, a lure, and an offering. And the Black Widow had spun her web many a times around others, bringing them into her web and keeping them close. But Tzuriel was different. In her eyes, he was the sort of man that could not be bound thus, and though the idea was tempting, she liked the freedom he carried.

She wouldn't weigh him down if she could. The spider envied the eagle, it felt like, for all the freedom and power he carried. Still, his gaze faltered a moment, turned inwards, and she wondered briefly if such snags and developments would harm or hinder her plans.

"I've been busy as well. With the state of the world in constant swing there is a constant need for safe trade and travel, business has never been better. I dare say I've doubled my fortune by this point... There's certainly been a few interesting snags and unfortunate developments, but these things always sort them out eventually."

"May they never be dull moments," she replied quietly, giving the faintest smile. Still, she had promised him an adventure. She set down her glass, then stood. The man sitting upon the bow nodded once, and let out a sharp, piercing whistle. The ship let out a faint judder, and though the sails were loosed and the sheets tacked, something else seemed to push the ship forward.

She offered her hand, and gave him a rare, fleeting smile, beckoning he follow.

"I present to you... the latest innovation of swift travel without relying on the power of wind."

Two large wheels, akin to her own previous design, churned the water, propelling its' movement forward, along with the assistance of long row. Magic sparked in the air, sang through salty breezes as, beneath them, other users like herself pushed along the water, running it through the wheels and making them move. It was far more efficient, and ran more smoothly. The wind snatched at her hair, but she smiled proudly, turning then towards the horizon. "But... I will admit, there's more than one reason I asked you here." Tilting her head to glance up at him, the smile dimmed, hands lacing behind her back as chestnut curls pulled a little freer from the clip she had pulled her hair into. "It's because of you all of this has been possible for me. I thank you, from the bottom of my heart." She turned fully to him then, giving a slight bow with her hand over her chest, an antique gesture until once again she stood, looking up and unashamedly meeting blue eyes.

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Cthuulove
"May they never be dull moments,"
He met her kind smile with an appreciative one, "I'll drink to that." He took a sip of his wine but he seemed a little less than sure of himself. He shrugged it off though and brightened a bit when the ship began to move with an unfamiliar shudder.
He stood up and accepted her hand when she offered, allowing himself to be led.
"I present to you... the latest innovation of swift travel without relying on the power of wind."
He looked around in awe and stunned silence, indeed, the breeze wasn't the reason the ship was moving. He noticed the large water mill wheels attached to the hull. It was innovative, genius, she was all of those things...

She walked across the deck and he couldn't help but watch, "Incredible... Simply incredible..." And he didn't just mean the ship.

"But... I will admit, there's more than one reason I asked you here." Tilting her head to glance up at him, the smile dimmed, hands lacing behind her back as chestnut curls pulled a little freer from the clip she had pulled her hair into. "It's because of you all of this has been possible for me. I thank you, from the bottom of my heart."
Again, the eye contact. How did this woman manage to throw him so far off guard that even he was floundering. He could only stare at her in shocked silence for a long moment before he got his feet back under him, metaphorically speaking.

She bowed to him and he smiled at her and chuckled a little, "How do you do it, Miss Divina Rosenstern? In one fell swoop you've revolutionized sea bound travel and made yourself a massively powerful and wealthy woman, if you'll have me I'd be more than happy to invest in this invention!"
He strode up to her and took her hand in his, "And, time after time, you somehow manage to blow my mind every time we visit... How do you do it, Lady Rosenstern?"

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Divina Rosenstern
She bowed to him and he smiled at her and chuckled a little, "How do you do it, Miss Divina Rosenstern? In one fell swoop you've revolutionized sea bound travel and made yourself a massively powerful and wealthy woman, if you'll have me I'd be more than happy to invest in this invention!"
He strode up to her and took her hand in his, "And, time after time, you somehow manage to blow my mind every time we visit... How do you do it, Lady Rosenstern?"

If she'd have him.

But that's just the thing, isn't it? He could have any woman from the Allirian Reach to the furthest horizon. Many a nobleman's young daughters would fawn and surround him, pressing their charms and wiles to him in the hopes of being noticed. She was never trained to behave in this manner; the world was a place of give and take, and to simper over him like some young lord would be insulting to the man before her.

She couldn't deny that she would have wanted to remain business partners, but her priorities changed. There was wealth, there was power, yes, but more importantly, there was something that would last even beyond her own name and brand. Something that would make her ideas live on beyond securing a life for her family. Perhaps he craved it too; she would have to ask.

How did she do it?

"The world is always moving; I must provide for my people the best I can give them. Secure jobs, better living, a world of invention and future thinking..."

She hesitated, and then gave a faint smile, allowing his hand to linger in hers. No one else had willingly touched her, almost seeming with impulse. Most maintained proper distance or shied away, but he closed the distance, and she felt something odd lurch in her chest.

Surely it was merely the swell of the ocean.

Instead...

She sank to one knee, still holding his hand within her own. She stared up into his features unabashedly, clear and concise as a woman sure of what she wanted. It could very possibly go poorly, and she was prepared for this, but yet... a small spark of hope still burned quietly.

"Tzuriel Alanthis," she murmured, her other hand pressing against her chest. "I made this for you. My deepest desire is to provide, to create, and... I could imagine none better to further the lives of our people to stand with me."

It was unconventional, and a high risk, but what were their lives without such high stakes?

"...Will you marry me?"

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Love
"The world is always moving; I must provide for my people the best I can give them. Secure jobs, better living, a world of invention and future thinking..."
He shook his head smiling, almost as if in disbelief, "You are by far the most incredible woman I have ever met. Truly a woman after my own heart."
He was picking up on her slight and increasingly frequent smiles, her body language and tone of voice, not to mention where this conversation was going... She likes him.
Truth be told... He was very much infatuated with her as well, few merchants were so intuitive, creative, cunning, and those who were were rarely women.

"Tzuriel Alanthis," she murmured, her other hand pressing against her chest. "I made this for you. My deepest desire is to provide, to create, and... I could imagine none better to further the lives of our people to stand with me."
This was unexpected. She'd gone down to one knee... Her expression determined and intent... He could almost predict her words from that point before she even said them...
"...Will you marry me?"

That... All of this... Made smile... A real, genuine smile of happiness.
Given past developments he'd had plenty of cause to contemplate his own mortality, and a possible legacy after he was gone. Divina was the main focus of such pondering.

But... His smile slowly faded...
There was so many reasons for him to say know... Why he SHOULD say no... None of them were because the feelings weren't mutual, they most certainly were. But these reasons were too big to ignore... And now that everything was being laid out bare he was about to probably make the biggest mistake of his life... And do the right thing...

She was knelt before him, holding his hand and waiting for his answer. In spite of himself his previous moment of joy was gone and it was visible in his face.
But his own determination soon altered his expression. If she really cared for him like he hoped she did, and as he did for her, she would understand.

He squeezed her hand and knelt before her as well.
"There aren't words to describe how much your request elates and horrifies me... My dear Divina. gods know I've seen myself asking you that same question.... But this question doesn't have a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer, not for people like us as I'm sure you've secrets of your own, not for someone like me that has built an empire of secrets... Secrets I will have to share with you if you're sure you want to be as serious as you are about your request..."
His brow furrowed and he took on a harder expression.
"There are things I know that you don't know about me, Divina. Many of them may change your obviously high opinion of me, but if you think your attraction is strong enough... I will share them with you... All of my secrets right here and now because you're THAT important to me, Divina."

• Wonder
She hadn't realized she had been holding her breath until she saw his smile. That her pulse was pounding and yet her hands had gone icy cold; but at seeing that rare touch of genuine joy, she let out a slow breath. But... the smile faded. Determination took his features, and she braced herself for the worst. She just knew he would say no, deep in her bones. She could handle rejection; she had taken her full share of it many times before.

But surprise glinted bright in her eyes when he knelt as well. Lips parted slightly, and she listened to what he had to say.

"There aren't words to describe how much your request elates and horrifies me... My dear Divina. gods know I've seen myself asking you that same question.... But this question doesn't have a simple 'yes' or 'no' answer, not for people like us as I'm sure you've secrets of your own, not for someone like me that has built an empire of secrets... Secrets I will have to share with you if you're sure you want to be as serious as you are about your request..."

Horrified? She had expected that, but it didn't help the twinge of anxiety that shivered down her spine. But... he thought of proposing to her? The Black Widow of the Keep? She found herself rooted in place, unable to move. Her face felt cold, and though part of her wanted to let go and make distance, but she couldn't.

It was no surprise he had secrets. She wasn't blind. There wasn't a single person in Alliria without their secrets and hidden agendas... but he looked so grave. Still..

"I never have proposed to anyone in my life," she replied quietly, blue eyes sharp in their intensity as she took his features in. "I've never been more serious in my life."

But...

"There are things I know that you don't know about me, Divina. Many of them may change your obviously high opinion of me, but if you think your attraction is strong enough... I will share them with you... All of my secrets right here and now because you're THAT important to me, Divina."

Her lips twitched slightly. "There are things you don't know about me either, Tzuriel," she replied quietly. "But... I accept. Perhaps not here, though," she glanced at the deck, where their positions caught the eyes of several hands, and though many of the crew seemed to keep busy, a few eyes glanced their way. "Someplace more private."

With that, she stood, and managed a small smile.

"Come with me to the Captain's quarters. From there... we shall judge if we are a pair evenly matched," she replied, before leading him belowdecks.

Like the upper deck, the captain's quarters were spotless. Maps spread on a desk, but everything was neat, tidy, evidence of its' owner's industry. She led them both towards the table there, and released his hand long enough to sit, before giving him a level gaze once more.

She would wait patiently for the words he promised would change her opinion of him. Though she was curious, she wouldn't pressure him into revealing more than what he would initially begin with. After all, this was something that could change them both forever.

Tzuriel Alanthis

Last edited:
  • Cthuulove
"I never have proposed to anyone in my life," she replied quietly, blue eyes sharp in their intensity as she took his features in. "I've never been more serious in my life."
He nodded understandingly, "Yes, I know. I'm being very careful with my words, Divina. I can see that look in your eye, I know how serious you are which is why I phrased that the way I did."
"There are things you don't know about me either, Tzuriel," she replied quietly.
He nodded with a brief smirk that didn't fit with the seriousness of his eyes, "No doubt, one might even say I'm counting on that."
"But... I accept. Perhaps not here, though," she glanced at the deck, where their positions caught the eyes of several hands, and though many of the crew seemed to keep busy, a few eyes glanced their way. "Someplace more private."
He nodded in agreement with her as he spared the crew a glance.
"Come with me to the Captain's quarters. From there... we shall judge if we are a pair evenly matched," she replied, before leading him belowdecks.

He followed her to the Captain's quarters and closed the door behind them. He took a deep breath and carefully considered what he was about to say.
Being blunt was the best way to approach things, get the logistical reasons out of the way before getting to the emotional ones.

He let out his held breath and calmed his nerves. It would require his merchants mask for him to get through this.
"Alright."
He turned to face her. Mask of logic in place.
"I'm caught in a sort of 'catch twenty-two'. If I want you to fully trust me, and I you, then I have to tell you everything about me... But that's taking a huge risk because on the chance that what I tell you changes your mind I'm in an awkward position of being in love with you but having to find some way to protect myself from the knowledge you would be able to wield against me."
He paused, this was just a preliminary, no more putting it off.

"As I'm sure you may have guessed at some point, my empire isn't built on pure capitalistic enterprise. I've made deals with the devil in the past and still do, I know the right people and grease the right palms to keep criminals out of my business and to call on them whenever I have need of them. I've dealt in several illegal business ventures and practices, I'm untouchable by any law in any country. If you care about the integrity of our business then this is something that should concern you."

His nerves were getting the better of him in spite of his mask, and whenever that happened his adrenaline would begin pumping and his hands started to shake. He locked his hands behind his back and started to walk around the room to distract himself. He took a deep breath and continued.
"I've made deals, contracts, and you know I never break a contract once both parties have signed. One particular contract is one that involves my life... A deal I've made with the last Golden Knight Templar of Reikhurst. She discovered a... A horrible crime I've committed which I'll confess to you next, along with the heinous reason which might be just as bad. But in return for my aid in restoring her home and people I'm to face judgement for that crime... And possible execution. So if you're thinking our union will be a long one then you should know that there's a seventy percent chance that I will have my life ended prematurely."

He moved over to her desk and examined the maps briefly, but his eyes glazed over the markings as his mind sorted and relayed information for his mouth to speak.
"I spent a few years as a Vampire. I was a creature of the night and I thought I did it for love, the love of a girl who was also a Vampire and turned me to save my life. I never did it for blood, the strength and immortality was the main draw for me at the time. But after a while I decided immortality wasn't all that it's cracked up to be, so I applied my resources and eventually found a cure... The price I paid for that cure was my terrible crime, I paid it to return to a mortal life... I'm human now, but tainted, trace amounts of vampirism remain within me."
To prove this point he looked at her and his blue eyes flashed a predatory gold, but only briefly.
He took another deep breath.
"The price for the cure is the blood of the innocence or pure in ritual sacrifice... No man or woman I've found has either of those qualities... Except children."

He stopped wandering around the room and stood in front of her.
"There's more... But please tell me what's on your mind so far?"

• Thoughtful
She had steeled herself for the worst, or so she thought. She had faced assassins, terrors of the deep, and assaults against her character and family. She had survived two husbands, and the dreams of a life with each one, each one with a cause of death that she was helpless to circumvent. Both from events she had been able to see in time.

No more.

She could see him visibly marshal his thoughts, and she forced herself to remain still, to watch his every move. She felt terribly cold, and though she wanted nothing more than to break her gaze, she maintained it, unmoving and silent to the torrent of his words.

"I'm caught in a sort of 'catch twenty-two'. If I want you to fully trust me, and I you, then I have to tell you everything about me... But that's taking a huge risk because on the chance that what I tell you changes your mind I'm in an awkward position of being in love with you but having to find some way to protect myself from the knowledge you would be able to wield against me."

In love.

The words rang hollowly in her head, and... she felt something lurch again in her chest. A warmth, a sudden sharpness that made her blink. He... loved her? No, more than that. He was in love with her.

She was a woman of logic and finesse, a point of pride that she could be unfeeling when she wanted to be. But... she had never been in love. Never felt the pining aches that other noblewomen confessed to feeling, never felt any of the saccharine attachments modern prose proclaimed. And yet, seeing him this rattled, this vulnerable, prised something from her in return.

She loved him too.

It was like holding back a caged bird; she maintained composure, but suddenly there was that knowledge, that feeling that she would do anything for this man, that he had crept into her heart and now held it entirely, and that he was full as capable of hurting her as she was hurting him, and yet furious that she had that power, alarmed even.

But still, she remained silent, watching him now pace.

"I've made deals, contracts, and you know I never break a contract once both parties have signed. One particular contract is one that involves my life... A deal I've made with the last Golden Knight Templar of Reikhurst. She discovered a... A horrible crime I've committed which I'll confess to you next, along with the heinous reason which might be just as bad. But in return for my aid in restoring her home and people I'm to face judgement for that crime... And possible execution. So if you're thinking our union will be a long one then you should know that there's a seventy percent chance that I will have my life ended prematurely."

Blue eyes suddenly blazed to life, and her features tightened. It was no surprise he had kept criminals on the wayside; her own business was no better. When you worked with the Shallows, crime was bound to be an element somewhere. But... a horrible crime he had committed? And to face judgment for it...

She shivered once, a trembling in her shoulders.

A chill of foreboding. This time, she would not stand idly by to lose someone precious to her. He may have been duty-bound to hold his end of his contract, but she'd be damned to let him face the executioner's axe alone.

But there was more.

"I spent a few years as a Vampire. I was a creature of the night and I thought I did it for love, the love of a girl who was also a Vampire and turned me to save my life. I never did it for blood, the strength and immortality was the main draw for me at the time. But after a while I decided immortality wasn't all that it's cracked up to be, so I applied my resources and eventually found a cure... The price I paid for that cure was my terrible crime, I paid it to return to a mortal life... I'm human now, but tainted, trace amounts of vampirism remain within me."

Yes. He would be that sort of man that would do that for love. Granted, the intentions were good, however... the pieces clicked into place. She hadn't imagined the flash of gold at the party they first met, nor the unrest he felt around the Lady Victoria. The strength he possessed, the light sensitivity. Seeing the golden flash in his eyes once again made her shoulders stiffen, and at the mention of child sacrifice...

She remained silent.

"There's more... But please tell me what's on your mind so far?"

What was on her mind?

She was furious. Not at him, but at the Gods, at the curse that had left him this way, at the ties of Fate that kept her forever suspended in her own web. At her own erroneous judgment that he was ever truly free. No... he was like her. Trapped, bound within a web of his own creation, and now it could possibly kill him.

Her features marked into ones of fury, and he would see for the first time no mask upon the lady's features. She was angry, at him, at these revelations, at the timing of it all... the fact that his own death could happen soon filled her with dread.

No. I won't face that again.

As abruptly as it flared to life it cooled, hardened into resolve. Blue eyes drank in his features, and she too a breath, then stepped forward.

Closing the distance between them, she stared straight into his features. Unflinching. Unafraid. One hand reached up, lightly ghosting over his cheek, and she hesitated for a moment, before settling it over where his heart beat, her features firm.

"I'm angry you think you'll be facing this alone," she answered quietly. "You're paying for what you did to prevent more death. It wasn't right, but from what I know, there was no right here that wasn't attached to a wrong." Her words were final, as heavy as stone with as much strength behind them. "But my offer still stands firm. I'd still propose, right now, as we are. But you say there is more. I have something to confess as well."

She paused, then removed her hand, staring up into his features.

"I know what killed my husbands."

Not who, nor how. But what.

"I could do nothing to save them; the first time was rumored to be old age, and though Willem was older than me by a good few decades..." her lips twisted, and her eyes narrowed. "It was through deals that gave him unnaturally long life and good health, and to keep his first wife alive. I am the only one who knew his secrets." She remembered the demonic seal branded on his back, how she lost him piece by piece until he was nothing more than a soulless husk. His death still lingered on her hands.

"Joshun was.. by a rival." Her eyes darkened, and her lips twisted into a bitter smile. "We had thought we could trust someone. But they poisoned his mind, convinced him to go on a journey that would end both the life of him... and his heir."

The poisoned drink she had been served was a double blow to her grief. The perpetrator, too, served with his life. A long series of deaths to her enemies, poisonings, well-timed disasters. She had chosen her victims well.

But this...?

"You have more to say," she spoke up quietly, looking up at him. "I'll hear it now, if you could still think me worthy."

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Cry
A performance of emotions washed over her beautiful face as he delivered his surface confession. It was admirable how she still managed to keep her cool, to remain logical and aloof from the huge load of guilt he was placing on her shoulders, testing its weight to see if she could actually hold it... She didn't disappoint.
She placed her hand over his heart, a heart that at one point he had to force to beat in order to pass as a living man. Now alive he didn't need to focus on it, but it was a heartbeat to a slightly slower tune now. Vampirism left its mark on him.
But her look of fury turned to Determination and he knew that she was much stronger than he gave her credit for.
"I'm angry you think you'll be facing this alone," she answered quietly. "You're paying for what you did to prevent more death. It wasn't right, but from what I know, there was no right here that wasn't attached to a wrong." Her words were final, as heavy as stone with as much strength behind them. "But my offer still stands firm. I'd still propose, right now, as we are. But you say there is more. I have something to confess as well."
He listened quietly to what she had to say. Somehow he knew that she could handle it, she was logical enough to know that feelings weren't a deciding factor on anything, but served as a tool of confirmation. A businessman that made decisions based on feelings either only went so far, or failed quickly the moment someone slipped inside his guard.
But he could see it in her, she knew what she did about him and the feelings were icing on the cake.

He continued to listen and hear her own confession.
"I know what killed my husbands."

Not who, nor how. But what.

"I could do nothing to save them; the first time was rumored to be old age, and though Willem was older than me by a good few decades..." her lips twisted, and her eyes narrowed. "It was through deals that gave him unnaturally long life and good health, and to keep his first wife alive. I am the only one who knew his secrets." She remembered the demonic seal branded on his back, how she lost him piece by piece until he was nothing more than a soulless husk. His death still lingered on her hands.

"Joshun was.. by a rival." Her eyes darkened, and her lips twisted into a bitter smile. "We had thought we could trust someone. But they poisoned his mind, convinced him to go on a journey that would end both the life of him... and his heir."

The poisoned drink she had been served was a double blow to her grief. The perpetrator, too, served with his life. A long series of deaths to her enemies, poisonings, well-timed disasters. She had chosen her victims well.

But this...?

"You have more to say," she spoke up quietly, looking up at him. "I'll hear it now, if you could still think me worthy."
He nodded respectfully as she recounted how her previous husband's died. But it didn't seem like much of a confession aside from the insinuations she made of how she may have dealt with it, as expected she had secrets, but as he just proved he was hardly one to judge... In fact he was relieved to know that it wasn't just him and other corrupt men that found the payout of crime to be worth the risks.
"I understand... People called you the black widow, the spider killing her mates but you knew the truth, you weren't to blame based on the information you've given so far... But you didn't know how to use the Rumor mills, how to manipulate them into spinning the story you want so they smeared your name... Unless you wanted this reputation...?"

It was his turn to close the distance. He took her hand and held it gently, giving her his metaphorical support.
His face remained impassive though... It was time to see how she handled the full confession.

"You are right to be angry, but your reason needs work. The more I tell you the more I suspect that I won't be the man you thought I was. I didn't seek a cure for my vampirism to prevent more death. I was very careful about protecting my reputation but I didn't care about the lives I took... Maybe as a matter of course, life matters more to me now than it used to... But no. I got the cure for selfish reasons, I killed those children because I was already bored with immortality... And I know this, I believe in my heart that I am evil for what I did, the Templar helped me realize that I deserve punishment for this crime..."
He scoffed humorlessly, "I'm not a noble man, my word isn't my bond, it's paper and ink... I had to sign a contract in order to do the right thing. Once Reikhurst is restored I will be tried for my crimes and those children will have justice."

• Thoughtful
He listened to her, and she tilted her head slightly to regard his words, mull them over carefully. Though there was the strong temptation to run with her emotions, to break free, she wouldn't. Instead, his first question gave her pause, before managing an answer.
"I understand... People called you the black widow, the spider killing her mates but you knew the truth, you weren't to blame based on the information you've given so far... But you didn't know how to use the Rumor mills, how to manipulate them into spinning the story you want so they smeared your name... Unless you wanted this reputation...?"

"I wanted it."

Her words were soft, quiet, but the bitter smile remained. "They weren't too far off; Willem had made a deal with a Demon. Pieces of his soul, first for his wife, and after her death, for his own survival. At the time of our marriage, he was..." regret shadowed her features, the briefest flash of sorrow, "practically almost gone. My father wanted the arrangement to save my mother's business; though I am sure you have heard of Lord Rosenstern's good nature, he almost cost my mother her entire remaining estate to bad deals and poor hands. I... stopped Willem when he was about to barter my own soul for his life. He lost all sanity, and then he took his own life."

Admitting such a thing was bitter. That the man she respected would sell her off... thankfully, the ritual to make Willem a demon himself hadn't been complete. But there was more.

"Neither of them were good men," she spoke quietly, but there was an intensity to her voice, blue eyes sparking brightly in the dim of the captain's quarters. "I am not above reproach, but neither was I willing to allow others to suffer from those around me. I was a new widow with goods and wealth; such a reputation would hinder weaker men to consider me a suitable partner."

He had taken her hand; she braced herself again for the rest of his confession. She would have to.

"You are right to be angry, but your reason needs work. The more I tell you the more I suspect that I won't be the man you thought I was. I didn't seek a cure for my vampirism to prevent more death. I was very careful about protecting my reputation but I didn't care about the lives I took... Maybe as a matter of course, life matters more to me now than it used to... But no. I got the cure for selfish reasons, I killed those children because I was already bored with immortality... And I know this, I believe in my heart that I am evil for what I did, the Templar helped me realize that I deserve punishment for this crime..."
He scoffed humorlessly, "I'm not a noble man, my word isn't my bond, it's paper and ink... I had to sign a contract in order to do the right thing. Once Reikhurst is restored I will be tried for my crimes and those children will have justice."

"I never once claimed you to be a paragon or a saint," she murmured, staring straight up into his gaze. Her features were still set, looking into his own impassive features with resolve. "But intelligent, a master of wit and word. You have changed. If I wanted a saint, I would have knelt before a priest or a Templar. But I..." her breath shook a moment, and she winced, feeling the gnawing coldness in her stomach. "I will not deny... this crime is worse than anything I could ever do." She rubbed a hand over her own stomach, feeling the cold knot sink down further within. Even at her most cold, her most base, she could never harm a child.

What of his own lineage, then? Would he sacrifice them once he grew bored of them? However, justice was still to be served. She stared up at him again, then nodded once. "I... understand why you'd do it. But I want you to fight to live." Her hand squeezed on his own with a subtle pressure, not breaking eye contact. "I still want..."

She leaned up, eyes half-shuttering. "I want your hand and you, Tzuriel. I will hold your secrets, as you hold mine, and my heart. If you will still have the Black Widow Divina." Her lips twisted in a bittersweet smile, head cocked slightly. "You know, the name suited one purpose. I would only choose the man I deem worthy of me. My choice is still of yours, for what time you may give to a mere Lady."

She knew now what she was stepping into. What he did was cruel. It was beyond the pale of even her morals. She did not step forward believing she could save him. This was so much more than that, but crimes or not, she would do her best to see him survive. Their legacy, if it was to be, would be one for the ages if he would but take her hand.

Tzuriel Alanthis

Last edited:
  • Bless
He smiled inwardly. Of course she wanted that reputation, he'd underestimated even her past self, she was intelligent and cunning. She led her own life with the wealth and power to have the freedom so many other women wished they had. Her husband's prepared her to face the world alone and she did so with flying colors.
"I never once claimed you to be a paragon or a saint," she murmured, staring straight up into his gaze. Her features were still set, looking into his own impassive features with resolve. "But intelligent, a master of wit and word. You have changed. If I wanted a saint, I would have knelt before a priest or a Templar. But I..." her breath shook a moment, and she winced, feeling the gnawing coldness in her stomach. "I will not deny... this crime is worse than anything I could ever do."
He nodded somberly, but he was prepared for her realization and ultimate decision, he was prepared to walk away empty-handed. He already knew how to keep her lips sealed... But if he was to be executed anyways, did it even matter who knew what he'd done? Wouldn't it be better if his life crumbled into ruin so that when he went to a restored Reikhurst to die he would have left nothing behind, no more regrets?
What was all of his success anyways? Ever since he made that deal why did he continue to build his empire? Why did he make it grow almost double its size when it was only a matter of time before he won't be around to enjoy it?

"I... understand why you'd do it. But I want you to fight to live." Her hand squeezed on his own with a subtle pressure, not breaking eye contact. "I still want..."

She leaned up, eyes half-shuttering. "I want your hand and you, Tzuriel. I will hold your secrets, as you hold mine, and my heart. If you will still have the Black Widow Divina." Her lips twisted in a bittersweet smile, head cocked slightly. "You know, the name suited one purpose. I would only choose the man I deem worthy of me. My choice is still of yours, for what time you may give to a mere Lady."
Her ultimate rejection didn't come... Instead he felt like a hot poker was plunged into his heart! His impassive expression broke and his masks fell.
Relief, joy, pain, confusion, sadness... He had no idea how to feel in that moment.

She still wanted him...

Him!

Child sacrificer, selfish killer, ultimate sinner...

She still wanted him!

He took in a slow shuddering breath and his own bittersweet smile spread over his face.
"Lady Divina Rosenstern, the Black Widow of Rosenstern. For the time I have left, for the meager hope I can offer of a future, I will have you... But you are no mere lady, you are my Divina Rosenstern..."
He brought her hand to his lips and kissed it before going down on one knee just as she had before... Only he pulled a small black velvet box out of his pocket.
He opened it to reveal a ring, a silver band decorated with a single blood red gemstone cut expertly into the shape of a nearly translucent red droplet, it was obviously of Elvish craft.
His blue eyes... Never breaking eye contact with hers... Slowly turned gold and remained so. He smiled at her, his expression finally settling on genuine joy.
"Lady Divina Rosenstern... I would be honored to remove the title of 'widow' from your name. I formally accept your request for marriage and ask that you accept this ring to symbolize our engagement."

• Love
She didn't know what to expect anymore. Perhaps she really was cursed. Every man that took her hand would seem to not survive it long. Every time she was to have some sliver of success and joy, it would be snatched from her hands. Was wedding a man who was sure of his own impending death a wise step? No doubt, if he did fall, it would only mean she would face the world alone again.

But she wouldn't let him fall that easily. As she watched his expression shift, break into a multitude of emotions, she could almost feel them. But if he survived, and continued to live... would he regret his choice? These were questions she would have to ask eventually.

Whatever time they had left, she would make the most of it.

He came with a ring. Her breath stilled in her chest, and she watched him as he lowered to a knee. This wasn't like with Willem, whom proposed before her father. Nor with Joshun, who loved his fanfare and ceremony. No, this man smiled up at her with eyes of gold. The gaze of a predator.

He knew a predator gazed back, with a returning smile.

Her cold, resolute expression finally crumbled. What laid behind it was joy, and her hand trembled as she looked down at the ring. A drop of blood in a sea of silver, how fitting it was.

It was a near-perfect fit. The jewel glinted in the low light, and for a moment, she had to admire its' craftsmanship, before returning to that gaze. Leaning forward, her lips hovered over his for a moment, pausing at the last possible second before any distance could be closed. Her voice hummed in a soft whisper.

"I accept."

She then took her time, allowing him time to pull away if he wanted, before pressing her lips to his, her hand with his ring slipping to caress his cheek lightly. She knew what she was stepping into, now. But she didn't hold a single regret. There could be talk of ceremonies later, but she had been patient and wanted to embrace him while she could.

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Love
"I accept."
She came part way and he closed the distance.
They kissed... Finally... And he felt another jolt to his heart like a hot poker when their lips met. She placed her hand on his cheek, the hand that now wore the ring that symbolized their union... A mere placeholder until the real wedding band could be placed on her finger.

He kissed her, closing his eyes as they returned to their natural blue. He tentatively touched her arm, determining how intimate she wanted to be in this moment.
He'd lived a decedent lifestyle, had intercourse with many women... But Divina was in a league of her own. She was an equal and the last thing he wanted to do was mess this up.
She was perfect, the best he could ever ask for.
He paused in their kiss to whisper to her.
"Thank you, Divina... I swear to you, I will fight for my life, and I will find a way to bring justice to those children."

• Love
After the last time they had officially met, she had wanted to be closer. Initially, it was mere interest in him as a businessman, in his intelligence and wit, and what he represented with his power and influence. However, that grew the more she got to see the man beneath the veneer of the decadent life, beyond the rumor mills. How much he had used them for his own advantage, to be seen as a womanizer and a smooth-talking romancer. How much of it must have been to protect himself from greedier nobles.

When his lips pressed against hers, a portion of the wall surrounding her careful heart slipped.

She heard his whisper and caressed a hand over his cheek, then his jaw to his throat. "I know you will," she murmured, resting her palm against his pulse. There had been a time he had been undead; to feel that warmth, to know he lived again, was a miracle with an evil twist, but one she would take.

She felt his hesitant touch, and a wry smile touched her lips. He was being careful, mindful of her boundaries; this wasn't the first time she was to be someone's bride. She would guide him back to stand over her, then take his hand in her own, her voice soft.

"I hadn't planned for things to go this way, but... would you think any less of me if I asked you to be with me, just this one night?" she murmured, staring up into eyes of blue with a light flush dusting over cheeks and throat; it had been a long time since she allowed anyone this close. But he was a rarity, an equal and a man who held her heart.

Tzuriel Alanthis

She was so passionate and kind, her lips were full and soft, warm and tender and the taste of her was heavenly, he couldn't get enough of her. Even her touch was arousing, the warmth of her fingers on his skin, the physical contact which filled him with a sense of being cared for and loved.
She pulled them both up to their feet but Tzuriel kept kissing her. For a moment he wished he was still dead so he didn't have to break contact with her lips in order to breath.

Their fingers intertwined and finally he came up for more air, taking a brief pause as he stood over her, his forehead against hers and their noses touching as his hot breath caressed her mouth, his lips not far away from hers as he prepared to kiss her again.
"I hadn't planned for things to go this way, but... would you think any less of me if I asked you to be with me, just this one night?"
He smiled at her tenderly, one hand came up and brushed a lock of hair behind her ear and then rested on the back of her neck beneath her voluminously beautiful hair.
"I wouldn't think less of you... I would be honored to be with you tonight, my love."
He kissed her lips, "And the next night..."
He kissed her again, "... And the next night..."
And again, "... And the night after that..."
He embraced her fully and kissed her deeply, his arms cradling her in his powerful yet gentle embrace.

• Love
Did he know how much he affected her? One kiss, and she craved more. His touch was warm, sparking even through her clothes and flaring brightly in her chest as he stood over her, she wanted more of him and yet she wanted to savor him. Feeling his warm breath against her skin was tempting, and the warmth in his eyes threatened to undo any cool reserve she had left.

The taste of him was almost addicting, but his words undid any reserve she might have had. Her skin tingled at the gentle caress on her throat, then the nape of her neck, and when he began to embrace her again she leaned up and into it, fingers curling into the front of his shirt.

My love.

Never before had she heard anyone call her that, and yet the taste of it was sweet on her tongue. She knew she ought to break away, to return abovedecks and order the ship to return to port, but she wasn't ready yet. Her other arm slid up, then wrapped about his shoulders, and when at last they would part again for air she would take in a deep breath.

"I'm yours, love."

With that, she would give him a warm, gentle smile. Her assent, her desire even, when she kissed him again, beginning to take a step back towards the Captain's bunk. Part of her wanted to wait, to return to Chateau Mor'dalaise, but she didn't want to waste a single moment with him waiting.

At least, not for longer than she would have to.

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Cthuulove
They were losing control of themselves, and Tzuriel certainly didn't mind. Their passion increased with every kiss, they were embraced together, arms around each other and lips locked together even as they gasped for air between every kiss.
"I'm yours, love."
She then invited him with her expression, her desire and what she wanted plain on her face. If she wasn't clear enough she stepped backwards towards the Captain's bunk.

He needed no further instruction. He reached down her back to her legs and picked her up. Thankfully she wore trousers or it would have been a little awkward to put her legs around him as he lifted her and carried her to the bunk.
He kissed her still, with the person who was the subject of his love and passion in his arms.

He then laid her down on the bunk with himself on top. Even if it were a small bunk they weren't about to have a problem sharing.
He bore down on top of her, claiming her lips and tangling his fingers in her hair.
Through some form of slight of hand he had somehow managed to unbutton and remove his shirt, he looked down at her with a hunger in his eyes, not unlike the lust for blood that he had once upon a time... But a lust for her, his fiancée.

• Cthuulove
He was strong. Feeling him lift her up in her arms, a low, throaty laugh slipped past her lips as she wrapped her legs around his waist, feeling the soft bunk beneath pillow her as his weight pressed into her. When he claimed her lips again, she let out a muffled moan, her own fingers tangling into his own dark hair. She could feel the clip that once held her own hair start slipping out, and she pulled it free to cast it aside, somewhere in the depths of the cabin.

When he paused again, she hungrily drank the sight of him in. Lean, muscled, she wanted to lean up and feel him against her, but she smiled, blue eyes burning with the intensity of her lust and love. She began to undo the buttons for her vest before tugging it off, and then taking him in again.

Her lips pressed against his own again, before moving to his throat, a light nip followed by a kiss. While she did, she began to tug at her own shirt, not content to wait while he did all the work. He was more than she had dreamed, or hoped. She only hoped to be worthy of him in what mortal ways she could be, her beloved.

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Bless
Their passion was almost to a feverish pitch, their animal desires pushing away rational thought. She removed her vest and he once again pressed his lips to hers and laid on top of her, chest to chest. He sighed as she moved from his lips to his throat, her mouth and breath against his neck was dreamlike and he gave a low moan... Which suddenly turned into a growl when he felt her teeth nip his neck.
Every muscle he had tensed and one hand moved to her throat and pushed her back, forcefully breaking the kiss yet he didn't apply any pressure to her neck. He was looking at her fiercely but the animal desire remained, he was almost smiling and his eyes flashed golden as he imagined that he could still detect her coroted artery beneath her skin pumping her life force through her veins.

He whispered to her, his voice all at once threatening and asking...
"That's a dangerous game to play with me... My love... Be sure of what you ask for..."
He removed his hand from her neck and gently slid his fingers down to her collarbone, then to the neck of her shirt and the remaining buttons.
He wanted to just pull it off of her and send buttons flying everywhere, but he restrained himself and unfastened each button one at a time, leaning in to kiss her neck and down to her collarbone, then her sternum.
His other hand sought out her hand and locked fingers with her.

• Love
She was startled when he suddenly tensed with his hand on her throat, blue eyes flashing as gold eyes burned back into her gaze. She could see the hunger, the tension that burned there. He hadn't been human once, she knew, but still, the whisper ghosted over her skin.
"That's a dangerous game to play with me... My love... Be sure of what you ask for..."

"I don't play games," she murmured back, no trace of fear or alarm in her gaze. And it was true. She knew what he could do, what he could still do if he wanted, and she wasn't at all afraid of him for it. But still, the warmth of his fingers against bare skin made her shift against him, and when his own lips pressed over her skin she moaned quietly, gripping onto his hand and shifting her hips. The combination of cool air and his warmth was an alluring one, and she brushed her other hand through his hair.

She then slid her palm lower, towards her own trousers, undoing the first button, but unable to reach further. She was at his mercy, and he would know it.

Her own voice threaded through the air near his ear.

"I want you."

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Cthuulove
"I don't play games,"
He chuckled with his lips against her skin, "Liar".
He opened her shirt and took the moment to admire her beauty, soaking in her feminine curves and her perfectly flawless skin.
She reached down to undo her trousers and he placed a hand over her fingers, he looked down into her eyes, the gold faded from his eyes as he took control of himself for the moment and his expression was serious.
"Are you sure you want to go all the way right now? We can stay like this for now... We can wait."

• Bless
With his hand over her own, she stilled, looking up into blue eyes, and watched as they faded once more from gold. She was not new to lovemaking or passionate nights. She had not been a stranger to the occasional tryst, but in the arms of someone who cared, who loved her... she was at a loss what to do. So when his words entered her thoughts long enough to return her to rationale, she paused, hesitated.

... We can wait."

Part of her didn't want to wait. She would have loved to have shed clothing, and come closer, to feel him with her, but...

She gazed deep into blue eyes, and her features softened. Sliding from beneath his hand, she lightly framed his jaw with her palm in a caress, taking in the seriousness of his darker gaze. "Do we have the luxury of waiting and time?" she asked quietly, skimming her thumb along his cheek. She didn't know how much time they had together; though he mentioned rebuilding Reikhurst, she didn't know how long that would be. How close that goal would be; she would regret not being closer. But she also wasn't sure if this was the right timing, or too soon. She wanted him to be comfortable as well.

Tzuriel Alanthis

• Bless