Confession

Smiling One

Heartbreaker and Life Taker
Banned
Character Biography
Link
I need to vent otherwise, I feel like I'm going to have a mental breakdown.

Right now my Brain feels like it's going to explode due to all of the abuse I had to endure reading posts of people thrashing me over the years because I liked Andromeda, DA2, Fallout 3, the Star Wars Prequels etc. I've endured years of abuse of being flung racial slurs, death threats, and insults everywhere just because I dared to like expensive pieces of entertainment. What is it with people's unwillingness to accept the fact that people like different things? Why in the world do they have to resort to threats and insults just to bring down?

I remember Dragon Age 2 being my first ever Bioware game. The game affected me and was one of the games made me realize the potential of storytelling in video games. I remember laughing with the characters and was deeply affected by the twists and turns of the game. I went to the Dragon Age Wiki and saw nothing but people hurling abuse at DA2 players calling them cultists, telling them to get out the Wiki as they are not welcomed. There were even people who were calling an artist who drew Hawke and Morrigan having a romance to have his hands chopped off because he DARED to paint Hawke in a positive light.

I hated the DA wiki for the way they've treated DA2 fans all those years some of those people were scum and I'm glad I left. With Andromeda we all know the wars that was waged here I won't elaborate. But recently I keep getting involved in fights on this site because for too many years I've always been on the defensive because I've held unpopular opinions that the masses of gamers don't share. Especially on this site, it was to the point where I've questioned my self if I was a gamer or not? Was I an EA bot like a certain user told me a year ago? I was at my breaking point to the point where It affected my real life as well.

The distractions, the stress, everything because of the dumb engagements I've had over the years. I questioned who I was because I didn't like The Last of Us, certain things in TW3. To think all this happened because I've been sucked into the stupid war of people taking video games way too seriously.

I don't know anymore, I'm just tired of being judged but I'm told to get a thicker skin. But what does that say to the people who hurl abuse? When will they stop?

In hindsight this is probably the reason for my creative slump, my brain can't function if I'm in a battle with myself.

When you say "this site" are you referring to Chronicles? As I can't honestly recall seeing any heated debates about video games and the like. If you feel someone is being abusive or breaking the site rules, please feel free to report the behavior and Staff will reach out. At Chronicles we look to cultivate a community of positivity, openness, and freedom of creativity. That includes both IC and OOC.

Otherwise, I don't personally see any issue with you liking those things. I also happen to be a big fan of the entire SW saga, prequels included. Never played DA2, only ever played DA Origins but I loved it. Haven't yet played Andromeda but I am a huge ME fan and would love to. I tend to fall on the edge of I like things for the enjoyment of them - being overly critical suddenly makes a hobby seem like a career which isn't what I aim for.

Do what you love. If you find people who hate on you for what you love, then cut em out of your life. You don't need that kind of toxicity. Surround yourself with people who share you ideas and likes, it makes things much better in the long run.

• Yay
Reactions: Smiling One
No, no not this site! It's another site that I frequent. If anything, Chronicles is one of the best communities I've been apart of which is why I felt that I could confess here. Although admittedly I was hesitant in doing so at first because I may come across as pathetic.

Bruh I know how you feel. I was bullied my entire childhood because I liked things like Star Wars and various video games. My nickname in elementary school was "Queen Imanidiot." And then when you think you've found "your people" they're divided too.

Personally, I let other people talk about what they like and just keep what I like to myself.

Gatekeepers, and anyone who tries to tell you what you like is “wrong” are a particular type of low. You can disagree, you can have your own opinions, but trying ostracize people who actually share your interests is detestable, and I’m sorry you’ve had to endure that.

You don’t need those toxic people in your life. Your interests are just as valid as theirs.

• Sip
Reactions: Ixcuiname
I feel you, man. I've actually been afraid of expressing some of my interests because I didn't want to be harassed or judged. It's sad that this is the times we live in. Svesh is right, however. Our interests are as valid as anyone else's, so hold your head up high.

So instead of having an honest debate it sounds like people were just opinion pushing on you. Typical. I personally think DA2 was fine if flawed. The issues it suffered from were more technical due to the rushed nature of its production (thanks EA) than it was anything story related. Hawke is a fine character and did a lot. There is a lot of important events taking place in it too but the time skipping sort of makes the whole thing wonky. Still played it multiple times and enjoyed it every time though.

Really when people try to tell you something is bad or you can't do or like something it means they are the ones in the wrong. Art is subjective and is a personal experience. We all get something different out of it. You might not agree or have the same experience but it doesn't make anyone else's experience any less valid than your own. The best thing to do is just talk about it in a healthy manner and explain what your experience is while they are sharing their own. The point is not to change their opinion to your own but both of your to broaden your view of the art as a whole.

"We live in a society where the free thinking, open-minded people are considered "crazy" and the ignorant, closed-minded people are "normal"."

When I finally decided to bother with twitter, this was the first thing I saw. 'We live in a society' is a meme basically but that quotes true. People idiots. The moment you speak out or have an opinion different from theirs they wanna decapitate you or crucify you. Lucky for you, this isn't the middle ages! You genuinely like those things in the community, right? So That's valid and no other person can tell you it isn't. I'll say it loud! I like Starwars the last jedi better than the original movies! Sue me! Hell I sometimes pour milk THEN cereal. Point is, embrace what differentiates you from everyone else. Who wants to like the exact same thing as other people? They had no right to abuse you and I'm sorry that shit happened. Listen closelyyyyy, i don't know you But I accept who you are and I love you!
https://twitter.com/intent/like?tweet_id=1145954021020012544