Private Tales By Pale Moonlight and Silver Stars...

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Liath

The Green Lord
Character Biography
Link

"Go to the meadow, by the river. Go at night. take nothing iron and no fire. Bring silver, and meat and mead. Now leave me and mine boy!"

That had been the advice of the old woman of the hedge near his clan. Rumors said her skill with potions and poultices came from a bargain with the Duanann. A bedtime story people for the wee ones. Something you dared a friend to do after too many cups. Normally nothing any sane Erainn would ever think was real. But Liath was desperate. There was maybe a dozen of his family left. Their farms burnt. Homeless and wandering. If their fortunes didn't change soon, the Clan would die out. And his grandfather had said that must never happen. They were the blood of the Old Kings, and if that line died out, there would be consequences for the land. So he was willing to hinge his hopes on stories, given his father hadn't returned from the summit of Clan Chiefs where he went to sue for peace.

But as he stood at the edge of the ring of trees looking into the meadow, he felt a silent tickle in the pit of his gut that ran to the back of his neck. A chill. Sweat beaded his brow and upper lip. The stories said they knew when you crossed the boundary of their ring with intent. And that leaving without a bargain was ill-luck. The edge of the meadow was ringed with mooncaps, a pale & skinny white mushroom that bloomed and grew only at night after a heavy rain in the day. Another sign. As was the crude pile of rocks in the center. Maybe once it had been a table or altar, like it was said. Maybe it was just rocks.

In his mind's eyes, he saw again the raiders take his sister, and something stirred in response to the momentary fear. Reaching to the clasp of his belt, he stepped just to the ringing of mooncaps and let the weapons and the belt drop outside of them, being slow and obvious about divesting himself of them. His spear was dropped next, almost thrown down. He strode forward in naught but the leine his mother had given him last week for his nameday, a beautiful thing dyed the traditional saffron colors of his people's more formal garments for warriors. In his hands was a parcel. A polished mirror of silver, a small flask of mead, and venison he himself had tracked, killed, butchered and cooked. Nothing had passed his lips all day. Oiled, his fiery beard was freshly trimmed and braided by his beloved, and a heavy torc of bronze from his father sat his neck.

Finally, he steppe over the barrier and into the softly lit meadow, hesitating once inside the moonlight. He wasn't sure what was expected. But the nothing that followed wasn't it. A sigh, and he stepped to the 'table'. Worn stone pile, more like. With moss growing in what could be old glyphs and runes. Or just random patterns. He sat down next to it, opening the cloth to reveal the gifts, and waited. In silence. He was, even as young as his age, an accomplished hunter. He could wait for hours. But even he eventually began to drift where he sat.

Fiadh

• Yay
Reactions: Fiadh
The faces of the full moons peered out from behind the few clouds that remained in the wake of the day's storm. The grass was dewy from the rain, glistening in the moonlight as their silvery, lethargic veils were lifted to illuminate the night once more. Mooncaps grew amidst the shadows, reflecting the light back to the twin mirrors overhead in belts of light on the dark ground. Color had bled from everything, stained the same murky blue by darkness.

It was the perfect night to strike a deal, and the circle had been broken. What came questing through the darkness was curious, her gold eyes piercing the gloom to look ahead toward the meadow. She had been waiting, free of time and death like the mortals who they had played with ages ago. Many had grown weary of these stormy isles, returning to the mainland to find new toys to play with, and others had succumbed to the turning of the wheel, yielding to the new that rose up in their place. Yet she remained, vigilant but bored.

Though, it had been so long since one had braved the circles. They did, from time to time, cross over without any true intent but to impress or satisfy their comrades. She and her kind oft left it to the little ones to punish such idle transgressions: knots in hair, curdled milk, a stray spark that burn a hole in a fine dress, a misstep that twisted the ankle. Little pranks for the little folk.

Tonight, however, one had crossed with gifts and intent. Small voices had whispered to her from the shadows and she had come, the night growing silent as she came to the edge of the meadow. Wrapped in glamour and safe from eyes that lacked the Sight, she remained outside of the ring for a moment, head tilted as she watched the figure sleeping against the piles of stones.

What had he brought? What did he want? If it had been brave enough to come, she could entertain it at the very least. None of the others were coming; this was her meadow, her ancestral lands. It fell, therefore, to her whim.

She broke the circle and the night hushed. Not even the grass betrayed her as she passed by, the sigh of her skirts swallowed up by the magick around her. She paced a circle as she surveyed him, brow rising and a smile growing.

The wind rose, tickling his face and shoulders like the playful fingers of a lover.

You have come bearing gifts, her voice swirled around him, bodiless and ethereal. It was the breath of summer in the middle of a cool night, and the scent of honeysuckle and sun-warmed grass lingered in the air.

What is it you desire?

// Liath //​

It woke him, though he wasn't quite asleep. That half-state between waking and dreaming was where he had been. Slowly the waking world had been bleeding away from him, into a darkness blended with pale moonlight. Old stories danced with his memory and the reality of the meadow, and in his mind there was no separation of the two. Not until the soft voice touched his ears, bringing him back to the present from his waking-dream with the smell of summer conflicting with the cooling rains of autumn.

For a moment, panic and anger pressed, but he quieted as he stood. But with an inner rally, he breathed deep.

"The strength and power to stop my Clan from being hunted. To unite my people, and save them. A destiny enough that they will rise from the brink to thrive again."

He didn't say more then. Nor did he move really. Just stood by the weathered stones and cast eyes about for the source of the voice. His weapons were beyond the clearing. But still, his instinct tensed muscles to fight.

Fiadh

• Devil
She tasted the bouquet of fear and excitement like wine, rich and heady. Drawing a deep breath, she filled her lungs with it. It had been a moment since she had indulged in mortals. How boring life had been without their whims to play with.

And he answered, his desire made known. Unseen, her brows raised high as she continued to walk lazily around him, a predator weighing the challenge and weaknesses of their prey.

Unity among Clans? There was mirth in the voice on the breeze. Your people have been at war for generations. That sort of resentment is not solved so easily.

She pressed closer, and the wind seemed to brush against his ear, warm as a breath.

There will be violence. They will resist your change, even in the name of peace. You've the blood of beasts on your hands, but what of men? Can you carry their names on your shoulderss

// Liath //​

"We were one, once. For many more. My grandfather's grandfather wore the crown. If I don't do this... There will be more stains on my hand than I can ever wash away"

The fear was bleeding away. The voice was almost dismissive, and he stood straighter now, moonlight glinting off the torc around his neck. Fists curled, knuckles white. Steel edged his words. His people couldn't pass into the shadows of long night, remembered in broken stones and worn statues.

"If we fall, so too does your blood. Your power. We still revere you... Do the other lands? Give me the strength to endure what must be done... For us both..."

Yes, he was asking for much. But the Unseen would benefit too. And he was not one being talked down to.

Fiadh

• Yay
A noble cause. And what fine reason he came armed with. They understood little of how their world worked, but she was inclined to continue this masquerade for a while longer. It had been so long since she had had a new plaything. A new warrior on her left side, a piece for the game she played... Fiadh watched with more interest, but not for the reasons he had laid for her.

Her laughter rode on the wind, a husky giggle that shifted to envelop his shoulders like a mantle.

And you would wear the crown of your forefathers?

There was a flicker about his temples, a circle of tiny flames that danced harmlessly about his head. A crown of summer.

Your fathers may have ruled before you, but the blood that you bear is quiet. The gifts that were given to you have withered. Blood of kings is not enough to carry you down the path you set your feet upon. The lights flickered out, one by one. That which you ask is far greater than you know. What do you offer in exchange for the power to unite the Erainn?

She could feel the pull of the leys beneath her feet, a gathering feeling like a breath drawn before a scream or a shout. Whether in fear or rage, victory or celebration, was yet to be seen, but even if he had a shred of her blood left in him, he would feel it. Enticing, promising, tempting. It licked at his feet and reached up toward his fingertips, eager for a vessel.

// Liath //​

Something hummed and pulsed in the world beneath his bare feet. A tug, a pull to some unknown part of him, just behind the heart. A warmth, a fire of passion and power, but less frantic than most. A steady heat, rather than the maelstrom of most blazes. He stepped forward, though in reality, the source of the voice could be anywhere, it was the meaning of the movement that mattered. His hand rose to point to the spear and blade outside the circle. And his next words were formal, though without formula.

"My service. Where you say to ride, I will ride. I will stand until you say to retreat, and face all who cross you or your will. I ask only that you give me the strength that is needed to bring us back from the brink and see my people to prosperity and comfort once again."

It was open-ended and perhaps an unwise offer. But something had to be given for more to be gained. He would endure the chains mentioned if it meant his people would endure as well. He had to really. So he stood, hand up in offering to be taken in agreement, waiting.

Fiadh

• Devil
As strong as she was, Fiadh still couldn't know his mind. She continued her stalking pace around him, eyes fixed on the face of the man as he made his offer. If he knew how foolish this offer was, he showed no sign of it. Tall, straight, and stoic, he held out his hand.

Fiadh grinned to herself. Bravery often walked hand-in-hand with recklessness. In this case, it walked him right into her waiting snare.

There was a slight ripple in the fabric of the world in front of him as she lifted the glamour about herself. Fiadh stepped toward him, head high and proud. Crowned in locks of hair like ribbons of fire, she glowed in the night. Where the colors had bled out in the darkness, she was as clear as midday. Warmth emanated from her brown skin and her eyes burned with drops of sunlight. Emerald as summer grass and simple in the same way as his people, her dress was embroidered with gold and sapphire patterns as ancient as this hallowed place. She wore no further adornments; nothing else could have compared to the glittering light of her freckkled skin.

"A life of service in exchange for the prosperity of a people," she summarized. Her voice was the same sweet, dusky warmth of honey mead. "The sacrifice of one for the benefit of many. A simple exchange from a simple man." Fiadh continued to watch him carefully, as if contemplating his offer.

"You will be granted the strength of the stag, the speed of the hare, and the eyes of the owl. You will feel the leys between your fingers and you will see beyond the veil. You will bleed but will not die. I will make you a king among men, and I will crown you in gold and sunlight. Your people will know peace in your lifetime.

"In return, your life will be mine. You'll serve me, my sword and my shield. If you accept these terms, the power you seek will be yours."

Finally, she lifted her hand. Palm turned upward, it extended from the deep sleeve of her gown. Her smile widened.

"Take my hand and tell me your name, son of Erainn."

"Take my hand and tell me your name, son of Erainn."

A bronzed hand extended to him, palm up, from where he was. The smile gave a warning to his instinct, and the same small voice that sometimes told him just when to twist and avoid a sword told him this might be dangerous. Told him this was the smile of an apex predator eyeing it's next chase.

Her appearance did not cause him start, except inwardly. It was expected to see something, if not such as she was appearing. Face streaked in sweat and fatigue looked up into a gaze as composed and regal as a queen's. Steel was in the set of his jaw, and a fire to match hers at it's fiercest.

Here would he stand, no matter the cost to him. His people deserved it.

"Liath dena Sebhac. Lamfada."

Taking the hand, he bow his head, pulling her fingers to his forehead as he did, in a traditional gesture of fealty and an antiquated bridal rite, though he didn't know the latter. It was an act of sworn obedience, in all forms.

Fiadh

• Devil
Fiadh's fingers curled around his. Her skin was warm as a cat curled up on the hearth. His was cooled by the night, but she could feel the same fire inside of him. The ember she had given his people long ago still burned 8n the ashes. Good.

Liath dena Sebhac. Lamfada. He bowed and touched her fingers to his forehead, and her brows arched in a note of surprise. Once more, she didn't know if he was just stupid or perhaps the bravest human she had ever met. Her widening smile was twofold in excitement and amusement.

"Lamfada. Liath." She said the names experimentally while stepping closer. Drawing him up and near with the hand he held, her other came to rest on his shoulder. Hands linked between them, held fast by her strong grip, the duanann smiled up at the young man. She was close enough for him to feel her breath on his skin.

"I am Fiadh. Áine," she replied simply. A goddess by his tradition, and the same faerie of legend who had bequeathed his family those first gifts of magick. Her knowing smile was sweet. Only for a moment, then she laughed.

A feeling like wildfire flowed into his hand from hers, a thread of light that seared up his arm to that place behind his heart. It flared out along arteries and turned back in his veins, magick forming a loop in every last drop of his blood in every inch of his body. The bond would strike his mind like a harpoon, burying itself deep -- and a new awareness like a sixth sense emerging from the wound.

Her magick leached into him, reforming who and what he was. Whatever he had been before, he was remade. He would never be anything else ever again.

Binding was a painful experience at both ends, but she was far more familiar with it by now. She held him steady and waited for her fires to stop searing him alive. It had only been a few seconds, everything she was running through him. She felt his limbs, his pain, the beating of his mortal heart transformed.

A smile blossomed. She gently pulled the new bond in her mind taut. Felt and known in spite of existing in a metaphysical place as abstract as one's consciousness, it glowed like a rope made of gold. Though tender and strange, it linked them together. Now and forever after, it would hang in his mind and hum with her wealth of magick. Fiadh's amusement and satisfaction traveled down it.

"Welcome, Lamfada," she said sweetly.

// Liath //​

Pain and power seared across his mind and into his being. Later, when asked, he could never describe it. It was an unmaking, and reforging, all at once. He wanted to scream, but something in him welled as the power flooded his veins. And with a fierceness woke in him as his body had began to tense in agony. Fae fire flickered around his temples, the barest suggestion of a crown as he forced his head up, to stare the one he had sworn to evenly in the eye, the same fire that danced around his temples reflected in them.

Senses expanding was the first thing he noticed as his mind came back to him, the Fae-born flames fading from him slowly, smoldering still in his eyes. Flexing his free hand, he looked at it curiously and turned it back and forth. In skin it looked nothing so different, but in his mind it faintly hummed with power. Hairs stood out, and he could smell the dew on the meadowgrass. And he could feel the Earth under his feet, fairly thrumming with power.

The Aine, she had said. A Goddess who had guided his people's Ancestors to Caerleon, where they had founded their lines and the Kingdom, and ruled for centuries. A thousand stories attributed to her beauty, her power, and a thousand thousand that spoke of her guile and wiles. If she spoke true, and legends said in making a compact they must, then she was more dangerous than he had intended to entice.

But, so had he become such in turn.

Squeezing the hand he held, he smiled, his mind still reeling and making sense of expanded awareness and power, and the feel of her in his consciousness. She was light and warmth and a sliver of cold and dire fear that rode always in the back of his mind now. And sent a warmth flushing through him at her touch, though a part of his mind wondered if it were the glamour all Fae were said to possess.

"So swore, so to be done."

• Devil
[Insert time skip here]

When she had made their pact however many decades ago it had been now, Fiadh had been impressed by her warlock's courage and strength of will. It was no secret that that was the best weapon against fae -- and iron will, so to speak.

Now she wasn't quite sure she liked it at all. Yes, it was fun when she wanted someone with equal fire to clash heads with. But at a moment like this, she wanted to wring his neck and throw him in a ditch somewhere.

Fiadh summoned him along the bond and waited at their rendezvous point. She was perched on a rock overlooking a quiet stream. Her robes were clean and in the style of the Wimter Courts -- flowing, loose fitting, and regal. It wasn't at all like what she had worn for years in their homeland isles, which had clung to her lithe figure in heavy wool and linen.

Aloof and patient, her serene demeanor belied her true mood. Even along their bond she was quiet and removed, as disinterested as a housecat.

He knew better, so he came in his armor and geared for war. The gifted spear, the venerable made sword. The only thing he did not wear was the flame-and-leaf crown in copper and rose gold and bronze. He had it, as always, in a sack at his side.

Until he had returned home, he refused to wear it. A king without country was no king.

Now, however, he had a plan, and in the sack was the crown. As he knelt as if in apology, Fiadh would reach her hand out, to touch his forehead. It was a simple and common enough gesture between the two, and usually done before words. It was a reminder of how the pact between them had first been sworn. And of who stood above whom, he supposed.

This time, however, he tugged at his own magics he had been studying. His own powers. Not through the bond. The Warlock pact gave him unimaginable powers. But it could be taken away and limited by Fiadh. These past couple of decades had been spent honing his own body and spirit to give life to the desire of his heart and mind.

No berating. No admonishing for being a lesser servant. A click and an echo a heartbeat later as he stood. A scant foot of chain held them together, a manacle of cold iron on each wrist, and a chain of matching metal. Each shackle and each link rune etched to provide as much protection as his arts would allow. It had passed in making as a way to catch a quarry in his mercenary work. A dagger of similar make was in his free and dominant hand, pointed enguarde at her.

In truth, there wasn't such a quarry. It had been a ruse to learn and develop such items, simple as they appeared, that if unable to kill her, would wound her beyond the ability to heal except by slow convalescence of the centuries, if ever. Just as his recent slump and doldrums had been staged to cause this very meeting. Even if it had meant death, death was equated to freedom at current in his eyes.

Now they would speak. And speak as equals.

"Come milady... You wished to talk. Let us broker a new agreement, yes?"

He knew more of his lineage now, and he had a plan to even their standings.

She felt him approaching long before she heard him, but still she remained poised on her perch, nose upturned and making a point not to acknowledge him. She waited until he knelt before looking back over her shoulder. Struggling to maintain her dour expression, she took her time turning around and sliding down from the rock.

Like always, even in her deepest anger, he knelt and bowed his head. And like always, Fiadh reached for his head.

When he was like this, it was difficult to be angry with him. Even if he had embarrassed her and ruined a very expensive garment, her temper was already abating. A little chastizement, perhaps. She wouldn't make a trend of it, but this time maybe she would let him off easy with a warning. To err was human, after all.

Her fingers brushed against his coppery hair, petting him affectionately as one might their favorite dog. Fiadh sighed and tipped her head, a small smile betrayed her attempts to remain serious.

"Liath."
His name was like honeyed mead on her lips, not as severe as the voice that had summoned him here.

She felt the trap snapping closed a moment too late.

Her smile faltered, gold eyes dropping and mouth opening in a sharp, pained whimper as the iron began to burn. For a moment her brow creased together and she withdrew her hand sharply. The short chain clanked taut, the iron digging even deeper into the delicate flesh of her wrist with the pressure she created.

Fiadh's gaze lifted to his and -- for that first second -- shock, disbelief, and sadness flashed across her features. There and gone, she quickly corrected herself. A wide grin replaced the look and her shoulders relaxed. She laughed, seeming amused by the gall of his scheme.

She raised her hand to inspect the shackle and chain. Her wrist was burning as if touched by a brand. The sensation would soon be subsiding as nerve endings died, and her initial blood had spread along the fair sleeve of her robes. The air was filled with the scent of burning flesh.

"There are far easier ways to get my attention, you know." Fiadh sighed deeply. "Is there something unsatisfactory about our current arrangement, Liath? And I thought we were happy. What fun we've had, yet it has come to this. Look."

Moving deliberately, she slowly lifted her hand. The sleeve shifted back to expose the proof of what the iron was doing to her. Where the shackle touched her skin it had burned away, blackened and peeling back. The flesh beneath was red and angry, glistening wet and weeping as her body tried to repair the damage. Not that it could; the proximity of the iron blocked the magick that would normally heal her.

The bright, shocking pain made her hand tremble. She had never been burned before. She was blessed by fire; she did not burn, except for the touch of iron.

Fiadh never took her gaze off of his. Her smile grew sharper and her eyes blazed like wildfire.

"You've ruined a second set of robes. Allow us to parley and explain to me why, with so little an attempt at courtesy, you've wounded me."

"Parley? You took my home from me, for your own whims. Why would I trust you to do freely for me without threat? My family. Ordered me away from the Island to watch it dissolve into pure chaos after I vanished. My wife, murdered. My family, my bloodline, hunted, refugees and outcasts to this day. I once thought you were something more than a leash-holder. I fancied us allies, friends almost. But you treat me like a favored dog lately, and I am not a curr to be whipped. I am your sword, your shield. Your retainer. Not a mindless lackey."

The words spilled out. Years of pent rage, decades of depression. Of wanting to die as all he worked for fell apart. Each word cracked, and the longer he spoke, agony welled in their bond. A deep, yawning loneliness that was blacker than her heart. But even under all that, a kernel of rage still burned.

Pain. Yes his own and hers mingled. But he had come this far, and he would not hold back.

"You will treat me as an equal. As a proper retainer of noble blood should be. You will remove my banishment from my home. I will agree to obey your orders, and leave it to it's fate. But I will not be deprived of being able to see the place of my birth. You will no longer compel me, unless at utmost need. And you will grant me the full breadth of my strengths that you can, so that I may not come so close to death as I did against that pathetic tribal warrior as before."

Shame. Shame at hurting her, but still the undercurrent of loss, so deep it could almost swallow them both. And so he stood strong in his demands.

"You will do this, or so help me I will end us both, no matter my feelings towards you. I cannot bear this shell of existence anymore. You will do this, and I will free you, and agree to never again take such measures as now without parley first, and agree to hear any terms you have as well. You have my Oath on this."

A part of her knew they would arrive at this moment one day, yet it seemed to arrive out of nowhere. Liath hid nothing of his emotions along the bond between them -- a stark contrast to the hard, unmoving wall that was always her own mind. She revealed nothing, gave not even a kernel of thought for him to gauge her.

Her smile fell away, leaving (for once) an honest expression. She grit her teeth together and stepped closer. They were eye level with one another, he a tower among men and she diminutive by her racial standards.

"A life of service in exchange for the prosperity of a people. The sacrifice of one for the benefit of many," she hissed. The words of their pact. "In return your life will be mine. Those were the terms. If you assumed their meaning differently, it is your error and not my malice. Did you think I would make you a warlock only to let you play king forever? There is a cost to all things. If the price of Erainn flourishing was the suffering of one family, that was a price you were willing to pay when you made your pact."

Fiadh jerked her hand back again, yanking his with hers on the short leash. She no longer moved deliberately to avoid sparking his use of the iron knife. Now it was as if she dared him to wield it against her. Her reserve along the bond opened and the heat of her temper escaped. Raw and honest, it burned as fiercely as the fading sting in her wrist.

"You think this is a short leash? I let you run wild like a dog, without purpose until I give you one. I only call on you when it suits me because you are obstinate, difficult, and childish. You act as if we are strangers, but you know nothing about me and have never made an attempt to know me. I know the names of your mother and father. I know the names of each of your children -- their age, their children and their children. I know where you met your wife, the moment you fell in love with her. I can list your merits and achievements from beginning to end, even from before our pact. I know you, Liath, but you have no idea who I am. Do not patronize me like that is my fault!"

She jerked the chain angrily pulling them closer together. Her face was close enough for him to feel the heat of her skin and breath, and her slight chest pressed against his armor.

"I unlocked your stupid fucking power a long time ago. You've been sulking like a child bit by a dog you taunted for decades. If it has not bloomed in your lack of cultivation, that negligence is yours. And if you want to be my equal, then act like it."

Breaking eye contact for the first time, Fiadh scowled at the knife.

"Use it or don't," she told him, her words compelling him in spite of him telling her not to. It didn't tell him what to do, but he would have to make a decision.

His hand on the knife didn't waver or wander, but the sudden closeness made him acutely aware of her. The heat and anger coming from her normally cool facade. The odd blend of fresh fallen leaves and summer spice that was her scent. Almost his conviction wavered, but steel shone still in his eyes and through their bond.

Did she truly know? Had she paid such attention to him? His children? How he ha met Moraene? That went beyond just knowing ones' servant. And there was something more to her words. The defensive nature of them betrayed their haughtiness. Then he stopped, thinking and wondering. Realizing...

And he began to speak next. Halting, but still speaking.

"You favorite jokes are bawdy enough for the worst tavern. You favor silver over gold, but know gold looks better on you to most. You rivals in the Winter Court suspect me as a weakness, and so you don't take me there when affairs call. You have a fondness for squirrels, of all creatures. And you think my favorite whiskey from Vel Anir smells beyond foul."

He might have kissed her then if he were interested in being burnt to a cinder, but instead, he let the knife drop to the ground with a thunk, and took her hand to undo the shackle with a simple click of metal and a small flash of light from the hinge. With calloused fingers, he touched the burn, and it healed as if it never was. The other hand that had held the dagger touched her cheek softly, a gesture usually over-familiar, but fitting.

"I never realized you bothered. Too caught up in what I lost. Which was your right to demand of me in price, but hardly ethical besides. I suppose we both may be terminally stubborn, m'lady Fiadh. I give you my apologies and hope you understand what drove me to act, rather than the acts. Passion for one, neglected by whom is the object... It drives a man to do regrettable things, and... Well..."

What came next was entirely her will.

The marked crease of her brow, angry and challenging, faltered. Fiadh was plainly confused for a brief instant. She frowned deeper and rocked back on her heels. Her surprise at his responde wound its way down the bond. She immediately snapped up her adamant walls once more, closing off the feeling as abruptly as a door slammed in Liath's face.

The lapse lasted only a moment, long enough to sweep her eyes down toward his hand as he dropped the knife and unlocked the shackle. The relief of the iron departing from her skin was a momentary balm before the sting of the air, as bright and sharp as the burn that had come before. Fiadh moved to withdraw her hand and herself away from him, but he turned her hand over.

She was not accustomed to pain. It made her hand tremble against any effort to prevent it, a lingering ache that echoed up her arm like it was hollow, made of a delicate crystal that threatened to shatter from the vibrations.

As his fingers curled delicately around her slim golden wrist, her warlock continued to speak. She drew a sharp breath at the cool tingle of magic sinking into her skin. It stung, bitter healing that wove a thin layer of skin toward the center of the burn.

Unlike a mortal wound, the harm iron inflicted was beyond physical. Her body was formed from magick -- magick that was broken by the iron. Though new pink skin crept over the burn, it was thin as vellum and the flesh beneath still taut and tender. Fiadh would wear the evidence of his offense for a while.

When his hand touched her cheek, however, she looked up with surprise. Especially in tandem with his words.

This was not to be borne. Heat flashed in her eyes and Fiadh used her free hand to push his caress away. She withdrew her wrist from his loose grasp more carefully, then stepped to sweep her foot, knocking the knife further away. Pacing away from him, she glared back over her shoulder.

"You are ridiculous if you think you can charm yes way out of this, Lamfada. Or, perhaps, you are a much bigger fool than I originally took you for. A feat I did not imagine possible before this very moment."

Fiadh cradled her aching wrist, keeping herself deliberately half turned. She did not trust him enough to offer her back to him, as she had when he had first arrived.

"The next time you try something stupid like this, I will not be so kind. I am not so delicate that a shackle and knife could have killed me," she snapped. "I was inclined to overlook today's transgressions, but now I am vexed and very cross with you. You want a purpose, so I will give one to you."

Gradually, Fiadh regained her composure. Her posture straightened and her chin lifted. She folded her hands in front of her to hide their lingering tremble. When she met his eye once more, her face was an unyielding mask that betrayed none of the steady hum of panic thrumming just below the surface.

"You will go to the Winter Court and deliver some business I have there. It is time sensitive, so you will have to sort out this… thing you are doing on your own. It is a mess of your own making, but I trust that by now you are adept at cleaning up after yourself."

It felt ridiculous to reward a plot such as this with the purpose he craved, but it reinforced that (in the end) he had no autonomy under her mantle. Shencpukd compel him to the task now, if she truly meant to. Yet she did not. She also didn't give him am alternative; this was not a negotiation.

And right now, the further away he could be from her, the better. Underhill did not feel far enough.

He ventured a thin smile that was mostly in the hawk-like eyes that gazed over her wrist before watching the knife be kicked away. There wasn't anything to say really. She had chosen the path, just as he had given her the choice of doing so. And for the moment, nothing else existed. Just them, and what she had revealed. Did she even realize he had guessed what her stony face tried to hide?

He'd think about the problem before coming at it again. The smile let her know that he wouldn't forget the flutter in her pulse as he spoke of her. Not for a while yet. And the twist at the corner of his mouth said it was both not unwelcome, and that he knew what it meant that she was that shook by one such as him.

"The Winter Court? Your words, my will. To whom, and what business do I deliver m'lady?"

The tone was neutral, but still a hint of contrition, but not cowed or begging. Just the same tone a friend or lover might use to their equal to express regret over a poor choice of actions, or a choice in the heat of the moment. He stood at a loose sort of attention, hand on his sword, eyes locked to hers, not downcast.

There was still deference in his stance and choice of words, but the holding her eyes served to reinforce what his tone carried to her. She was smart enough to read it. She knew him too well not to if she were telling the truth from earlier.

Fiadh

• Yay
Reactions: Fiadh and Harrier
Fiadh watched his movements like a hawk as he took his stance. Her eyes fixed on the hand that came to rest on his sword, distrustful, then flitted away nonchalantly. She had to save face now or he'd know. And Liath couldn't know. Once a warlock knew how thin the line between them really was, they'd never hesitate to cross it again.

"It is a gift for a High Lord there. His name is Wu Wei-Cai, a duanann of medicine. You can find him at The Lunar Tiger in Underhill's Midnight Market. Wu is a very important man; he commands a great deal of respect in the Winter Court. So remember your manners while you're there -- unless you want to make a laughing stock out of the both of us." She sniffed indignantly. A tempting idea, no doubt, but whatever he ruined of her chances also ruined his.

She waved her uninjured hand, the long sleeve of her overcoat sweeping slowly. A parcel appeared on the rock. As wide as a hand and as long as a forearm, it was a beautiful wood box with seamless construction. Only where the lid slid into place broke its perfection on a single plane.

"It is somewhat delicate, so try not to manhandle it, if you're capable. It took a great deal of effort to acquire it and I can't afford to do it again." Fiadh glanced his way one last time, cradling her hand once more.

Then, without another word or allowing him any either, she vanished into a cloud of gold dust. Not entirely, however. The wings of her little orange hummingbird form beat through the air, parting the cloud of gold as she zipped up into the trees above. He was dismissed as summarily as always.

Last edited:
*Timeskip*

The journey had been long. There had been things to overcome, a few beasts. Skirting the edge of a war. Sometimes adventure found you when you resisted it. And so he arrived at the doors to the Lunar Tiger, a few new scars, wrapped in armor that showed wear, and less a sword, carrying only his spear and the package of his Patron.

There was a need to see a merchant about turning some of his spoils of the journey into other things, or selling them off. Drake hide claws as well as teeth (albeit a young one), the bark and timber of a corrupted treant, few rare mushrooms and other reagents. And once the delivery was done he had questions of a possible lead on something more.

This Wu-Wei Cei he was to see and deliver the package to was inside, and he knocked, politely but firmly. His hair was freshly oiled and beaded and braided, and he looked the part of a warrior-warlock quite well, even his neck torc gleaming with oil polish.

With a firm thump of his fist, he knocked and announced his presence in a deep voice. And then waited.

• Devil
The road to the Winter Court wove through valleys and mountain passes. It crossed rivers, cut through forests, and traveled beneath towering stone pillars to a point where all of those things met. Unerhill had spilled out to the surface, small satellite villages marking the end of a very long journey. Fae lived in huts and cottages crowded against the cliffs carved by the enormous waterfall, hung near the edge of the river that had given the cavern its birth.

If one knew the way and had the means, passage into the unseelie city was not difficult. The path that hugged the cliffs and curved behind the thundering falls was wide enough for a single cart and nothing more. There, concealed by the falls like a bride beneath her veil, was the Lover’s Gate. It was a simple affair: a single jagged arch not much taller than it was wide, unadorned and simple. The faeries who stood guard were serious and professional, checking the papers of every individual passing. Only fae came into Underhill -- no exceptions.

Unless, of course, that exception was that the Winter Court observed the non-fae as fae.

A Red Guard took Liath’s credentials, checking the date and passing it back with a polite reminder that they expired at the summer solstice. With nothing barring the warlock from entering, they stepped aside and welcomed him to Underhill.

In the absence of solar holidays, the city was dark and relatively peaceful. Liath’s directions took him south (deeper into the mountain) and followed one of the streams that trickled down from the Lover’s Gate.

The Midnight Market was, of course, open. It was always open. Red lanterns reassured him that he was still within the sprawling market, even when the streets changed from straight, wide lanes to narrow paths that dropped down sharply with flights of stairs. Fortunately, his destination was well known and easily found near the convergence of the major branches of the district. The Lunar Tiger was a staple in Underhill, known all across the Courts for its offerings of noodles and tea in the traditional Winter style. The shop had “outdoor” seating, being rows of tables and chairs that were crowded between the street and the storefront. The front itself offered a modicum of privacy to its patrons while allowing tantalizing smells to drift past its half-walls and lattice panels.

As a cornerstone of the city that never slept, it was (of course) open. Today it was sparsely inhabited, only a handful of tables inside occupied. When Liath announced himself, identical faeries lifted their heads and turned to see who was at the shop’s door. Dark-haired and fair-skinned, they smiled in unison at the newcomer. However, the one returned to her customer while the other hustled from behind the counter to greet him, bowing deeply.

“Welcome to The Lunar Tiger,” she said sweetly. “Do come in. May I offer you seating at a table or would you prefer a place at the bar?” she asked, holding out her hand to invite him inside.

Last edited:
"Thanks to you, but not at this time. I'm here on an errand for my Patroness, Fiadh. A delivery to Wu Wei-Cai. I was told to seek him here. After my business is done, I would gladly take your establishment up as a patron myself though, the smells are incredible. Is the High Lord available?"

Liath had some sign of road weariness around the eyes, and definite wounds half-healed or newly closed. Occupational hazard of being a warlock, he supposed. He could have asked for transport, or taken easier, but longer routes. This was his way to both apologize and by extension prove worth and be a stubborn mule. He might look barely out of place, especially given the Erainn wore clothing most would not and he had stuck to the saffron shirts, heavy torcs, and plaid kilts and such of his people. And his size and stature were decidedly off for most humans and even Fey. But his manners were impeccable, and neither overly formal or familiar - a firm declaration of who and what he was, but nothing more.

As he finished speaking, he'd bow just the slightest bit in politeness, a deep inclination of the head, in thanks and diffidence. Most fey viewed warlocks as beneath them to some extent. But in actual standing, given all things, socially Liath probably came close to outranking a number of the lower beings. It was a polite thing to do to recognize the difference between them though.

Fiadh

• Sip
The waitress had never stopped smiling, but her smile brightened.

“A delivery for Wu?” she repeated. She glanced past his shoulder, but quickly spoke before the warlock could look that way as well. “Ah, well. If you’d like to leave it here for him, I can--”

“It is fine, Aya.”

The diner in the corner laid down his book. Long and lithe like most of his duanann brethren, he leaned back in his seat with his legs crossed. His features were sharp and thin and his hair was long and straight, unbound and draping over his shoulders. It was the color of new spring grass, a surprising green that made his reddish orange eyes more marked behind their gold half-moon glasses. He raised a slim golden hand to gesture to the seat opposite of him.

“I have been expecting you. Or expecting someone, rather. Your mistress is yet an intriguing mystery here in the Winter Court and I was not certain in whose care this parcel would arrive.” He smiled, his thin lips curling mischievously at the corners. His gaze slid to the waitress and he nodded.

Aya bowed and scurried back to the kitchen. She quickly returned with a second cup for Liath, and replaced the pot resting on its warmer. She shared a small smile with Wu before retreating and leaving the two to their business.

“Before we see this delivery, let us have introductions.” Wu sat up in his seat proper to pour out himself tea. He offered some to his companion as well. “I am, as you know, Wu Wei-Cai, duanann of medicine.” He raised his tea to his lips and regarded Liath. “And you are?”

"Liath lach Feragh du Seabhac."

It was simple, but any duanann should know the name. To Liath's people, Lach Feragh was a misty lake. But older translations made it so it hinted at 'mist blood' or 'those who live in the mist'... A lost hint at Liath's rumored Fey ancestry. Seabhac was 'Hawk', but again, there was that twist of translation that made it more than it seemed.

With a slight limp to the left side, Liath unburdened his pack and leaned his spear to the chair indicated by the retreating underling and then the tear offered by Wu Wei-Cai, smiling. The sack he nudged closed, hiding the hide and claws on a string and other bits, sipping the tea politely.

"I hail from Erainn originally but am bound to service of Fiadh as Warlock. It is a pleasure to meet you, and receive hospitality. Excuse my manner of dress, and some of my belongings. The road was long."

And so he sat, stroking a beaded and oiled braid of beard on the left side of his mouth, waiting for the other to speak.