Open Chronicles Be Still Your Heart

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Isabeau

Character Biography
Link
The sun gently stretched its golden rays in between the branches of the trees that seemed to glow from their warmth, the forest floor was alive with the creatures of the day, the frost had started to melt just a little, as signs of spring was on its way shortly, but of course not just yet.

Isabeau pulled the hooded robe closer around her shoulders, to keep what chill was still hiding from the sun’s touch within the air. Gabby, was happily clomping along the dirt path, pulling the wooden cart behind her.

After a few moments, Issy could feel the change in the air, and decided it was time to find a nice place to have a bit of lunch, with experience and a little help from a wandering spirit she found a spot by a small babbling stream. It’s soothing sound was nice, and so with care she placed a blanket out and food, unhitching Gabby so that she may join in the fun.

“Here you go.” She held the apple up in her hand so Gabby would be able to pick it up in her mouth and chomp down, which she did. Issy would begin to nibble herself on a slice of cheese that she placed a top of a piece of bread.

Taking in a deep breath, she filled her lungs with the richness of the air, that the forest so kindly shared with her, and soon a small breeze whispered in her ear and her lips simply curled into a smile.

Ash heards the clunky wagon long before they came into view. From his tree he saw a young woman and a miniature pony. That peaked his curiosity. Why would a fully grown woman have such a small horse instead of a more useful fully sized horse? But Gabby was still cute regardless, with its large eyes and ears. That got him excited, he wanted to meet the cute pony. Yet he wondered why the woman was here this far into the woods, it could be dangerous after all.

Using a few branches to get closer to the ground the elf jumps out of the trees, “Sorry to interrupt your meal miss.” Ash says with a slight bow of his head, “But I cannot help but wonder why are you so far in these woods with not but a miniature horse?” He asks her with a tilt of his head. “And a picnic it seems like.” He looked at the blanket. Ash was more concerned for her safety than anything, dark forces might travel these woods and he would rather not see her body against a tree or in a trees roots, sapped of all life.

• Love
Reactions: Isabeau
It had been a very good day in the forest. Kikwi walked along with bare feet, leaving tiny claw-prints in the soft earth. Despite the cold ground, he was quite warm beneath his robe and feathers, and the day was only getting warmer as the morning waned.

He had been out before the sunrise, trying to catch the birds while they were still sleeping. His notebook already contained drawings and notes on six different species. Among them: The Blue Wobbler, a pretty, round little thing with black bars on its wings. A Yellow Thistletit, a tiny bird but very bright. Kikwi’s favorite thus far was the Sooty Rail he had found in the underbrush. It ran very fast and was quite flightless.

His exploration would need to be put on hold, however, because he had started to feel a rumble in his stomach. Turning his head from side to side, he picked out of the sound of a creek nearby. That would be a lovely spot for a snack, and so he set off through the bushes.

He emerged onto the bank, with dirty hands and small twigs stuck in his feathers. Such were the marks of a productive morning. But what was this? Someone was having a picnic already. Great! Surely they would not mind his company.

Kikwi squinted as he got closer. This person looked familiar. That rich black hair and marble skin, and the little horse...

”Isabeau!” He squeaked in sudden recognition, running over. He held out a small hand so that she could feel him, saw that it was dirty, and quickly wiped it on his robe before reextending it. “I sure am happy to see you!”

So excited was he that he did not notice the elf until just now. “Oh!” he said in surprise. “Hello. I am Kikwi, how do you do?”

The whisper that kissed her ear would stop only to be interrupted by a kindly voice, as she listened she kept her composure it wasn't as if she could really run anywhere, she turned her head in the direction of the elf, and soon she allowed him to see her fully from her doll like features to her painfully clear blue eyes stared not at him, but pasted him.

Issy was blind, Gabby would instantly go to her mistress’s side and snorted at the new comer stomping her hooves in a little warning, shaking her hair. Issy softly placed her hand upon Gabby’s neck and gently patted.

“Shhh girl, I think he’s alright.” She turned her face back in the direction of the voice.

“No, you haven’t, it’s a reasonable question.” She replied allowing that soothing voice flow within the air, and soon her lips curled into a warm smile.

“I’m on my way to the village just beyond this forest and well, Gabby was growing hungry and I had, a little help finding a spot, I had thought this was a safe place to enjoy a brief picnic.” She paused and then gestured.

“If you are hungry, please join us, I have plenty.” That issy did, it was as if she was feeding a small army, but in fact she was feed a small horse.

Gabby snorted in protest but Issy gently leaned her nose into the neck of her companion.

“Now, now you must learn to share Gabby.” The horse snorted in defeat and began to relax chomping on an apple, Issy turned back and began to open her mouth when she heard her name being called.

It was a familiar voice and her eyes sparkled as she widened her smile.

Kikwi, is that you?” She held out her hand and soon her question was answered as she felt the feathers of her small friend she hadn’t heard from in some time, she pulled him close to her and gave him a gentle squeeze before letting him go, so he may talk to the stranger.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Yay
Reactions: Ashieron and Kikwi
Ash shook his head at the offer of food, “I am very much full from my last meal, but I appreciate the thought.” The elf smiles sitting down, “But if you do not mind me being your protector within this forest. As I said creatures are all about.” He asks her, “Or at-least be some company until you finish your meal.”

His esrs will twitch a bit when the sound of tiny foot steps, followed by an owl. Holding a book. The sight made the elf tilt his head as the owl talked and greeted the woman. Before introducing himself, Ash introduces himself in return, “My name is Ashieron, Im doing well. How about you friend?” He asks the owl giving it a nod. He secretly hoped that they did nit see his bounty in Elbion. He’d hate not being able to be fair to them if they are against him.

The mini horse seemed to have calmed down a little but thankfully, but he was still going to be careful around it. He would rather not get clobbered in his face by the tiny hooves.

• Sip
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Isabeau and Kikwi
Kikwi snuggled into Isabeau’s warm embrace. His sense of smell was almost nonexistant, but the gentle sound of her voice and the soft locks of her hair took him back to their first adventure, when she had helped him overcome his fears.

Upon being released and speaking to Ashieron, his big yellow eyes took in every detail. The dark hair, the scars on his neck, the strange red marks under his gray eyes. What a peculiar man. Of course, Kikwi couldn’t say if he were more or less peculiar than the average elf. He had only been out in the open world for a year or so, and he had much yet to see.

“I am very well, thank you,” he replied in the practiced manners he had been taught.

He turned his round head to Gabby an gave the little horse a couple of pets on her nose. He liked Gabby. She was small, too, albeit still larger than he was. He liked to imagine himself riding her, like a real knight would ride a full-sized horse. He had no idea how to ride a horse, but Gabby would probably be ok with it... he assumed.

“What luck,” he mused out loud. “I was going to have a meal, too! Now we can eat together, you and me and our new friend Ashy-ron.” He sat himself down on the blanket next to Isabeau and removed a small package from his pocket. Removing the twine tie and unfolding the thick paper, he started to much on a tough piece of jerky. His sharp beak easily sliced through it, and he gave each piece a couple of chews before swallowing each bit. Chewing was more for flavor than anything else, since he didn’t have any teeth.

”Where have you been since the dj... djeeinn?” He asked Isabeau suddenly, “And how did you meet Ashieron?”

• Popcorn
Issy turned her head toward Ashieron’s voice as she nodded again with a gentle grace. She gestured again.

“I do not mind at all, I’m quite honored you’d wish to protect us, from such danger. . . If you do get thirsty or hungry, please feel free to help yourself.” Another soft smile then her head tilted a little toward her feathered friend.

Her gorgeous giggle floated into the air as she gently nodded her head toward Kikwi with a comforting pat of his shoulder.

“Indeed, what luck it is, you are also welcome to help yourself to some goodies and some berry juice or water.” Gestured and then arched her brow.

Gabby wouldn’t shy away from the touch she leaned into the touch and gave the little owl a comforting nudge. Gabby also peeked her head up at the elf and gave signs that she no longer felt he was an enemy and perhaps she was also curious about the man.

“I’ve been well, little adventures here and there, new friends and allies in the merchant world.” She smiled and then she gestured.

“Actually, this is the first time I’ve met, Mister, Ashieron, which I’m finding to be very pleasant, he has decided to sit with gabby and I to keep us company and such dangerous creatures away.” Another sweet smile.

“But as you’ve heard, my name is Isabeau, a pleasure.” She gave a long bow then raised her head back up.

Kikwi did partake of some of the berry juice that Isabeau had offered. It was sweet and tart and full of flavors he had never tasted before. He thanked her for it and washed it down with some of the cool water he had gathered from the stream. A few feathers around his beak were now purple.

Always the one to toot his own horn, Kikwi told Isabeau of what he had been up to since their last meeting. He had no boastful intentions, he was just very excited about most things that occurred to him. He had met a dwarf who taught him about runes. He had finally made it all the way to Elbion College, but it was under attack! He met Willis again, and had helped fight off a fire monster (how much he actually helped was up for debate). Finally, he had been allowed to join the college. While not a student of the magical arts, he had been assigned a more fluid role as a researcher of Arethil’s living things. He reported to the maesters at the college and was starting to get sent on more and more field trips.

“Today I am cataloguing birds,” he said, flipping through some drawings he had made earlier. “But I keep finding other things so it‘s hard to keep focused.”

He took another sip of water, and looked around the creekside for a few moments before asking, “What have you been selling these days?”

• Sip
Ash’s ears twitched at the mention of a dijin. He remember a half one at the battle of ninghal. But there was a very much good possibility that it wasnt the one he ran into then. Shrugging off his worry. Ash nods to Isabeau. “Please, just call me Ash.” He’d look at Gabby and pets her head after letting her sniff him if she wanted to

“I‘ve always wanted to study birds, but I have my own separate studies going on.” He says with a smile as he leaned back using his hands as a support. “If you do not mind Kikwi, Im sure one day you might be able to look everything over.” He offers the little bird thing. He has never seen such an adorable creature in his life, even newly hatched baby dragons somewhat were pale in comparison.

• Bless
  • Popcorn
Reactions: Kikwi and Isabeau
Issy smiled listening quietly sipping her drink and then turned her head toward Ash's voice. She nodded her head.

"As you wish Ash, please call me Issy." She stated with a smile, then her head tilted down toward Kikwi.

"My you have become a busy Adventure, I'm glad Kikwi . . ." She gently touched his shoulder. "I admire your bravery." A big smile.

"Oh, the same, healing solves, potions and all that is in the middle, it's nothing that fantastic, just what an herbalist can do without actual magical abilities." She stated then turned her attention back toward Ash. Gabby did indeed move toward the elf and allowed the attention he gave her, a nod of the head, would allow Ash to know that Gabby was enjoying it.

"Gabby likes you, Ash, seems you've made a friend for life." She chuckled nibbling on some fruit.

• Yay
Reactions: Kikwi
Kikwi twittered happily as Issy complimented his bravery. He very often did not feel brave, so it was nice to be reminded that, really, you could only be brave if you were afraid. "Oh but it is fantastic!" he chipped. "You do not need magic to heal up cuts and cure illness. You know aaaall the plants that can do that for you! Not everyone can use magic, but everyone can use your medicine."

He himself had not an ounce of magical talent in his tiny body, but this didn't bother him. He was more interested in what the creatures of the world could do than what his own body could. Although he had enjoyed that one time he'd used a magical scroll by accident...

Ash's words caught his attention, and his head spun around 180˚. "Oh? What are you studying, Ash?" He asked, picking up the nickname from Issy. "I would love to see your work. I always say, 'two minds are better than one.' If I had two minds I could do so much more study..." he trailed off, seemingly contemplating this hypothetical. He reached an arm back to feed himself, his head still facing away from the rest of him.

• Love
Ash shakes his head some at Issy's comment about having a friend for life, "It would seem as though Gabby is far more content with you. I will do nothing but offer my respect to such bond and to this creature." With a chuckle Ash nods his head, "I study dragons, a whole group of us. But unfortunately, my notes are not on my person right now, as they are back home in the Spine." He sighs. The elf found himself enjoying their company, but he did not want to push his luck by revealing the more pure form of dark magics he was also studying against his will.

"Though I study certain magic as well, I would rather not speak it here in this forest. It might waken the slumbering creatures within." He puts his pointer finger over his lips with a smile. "Draconic magic is much better magic suited for this area. If you want me to explain some of it for you." He offers the little owl, "Though that might require me taking off my shirt if the lovely lady is fine with it?" He looks at Issy with a tilt of his head and a flick of one of his ears.

• Love
Isabeau chuckled at Ash's comment out of kindness.

"I believe for the first time in my life, I'm truly jealous of Gabby." She teased a little in all friendliness and then she quieted down, sipping on her drink, listening to the two talk back and forth, it was such a nice thing to encounter. It had been a while sense such things found themselves at her feet.

The thoughts had her slightly distracted until Ash's voice pulled her back to the present, tilting her head to the side as she was a bit confused at his comment then, perhaps he didn't know.

"I do not mind at all Ash, please. . .It will not bother me, nor in the future would it bother me, see, I'm blind and there was no need to ask, but I thank you for doing so." Another smile.

At the mention of dragons Kikwi became very still. His eyes were open to their full moon-like limits, and his beak had gone a little slack. His arm still hung in the air above him holding a piece of jerky. It took several moments before he could collect himself enough to speak, his throat quivering noiselessly at first.

“D.. d-dragons?” he whispered. The points about forbidden magic had entered his mind but they fell out rather quickly, for it was now full of images of wings and scales and fire. “I-yes please!” He said a bit too loudly, lowering his arm and scooting around so his body now lined up with his face.

Dragons were something he had only read about. Actually, most things he had only read about, but the difference was that he could go out and find the majority if he really wanted to. Dragons were exceedingly rare. They lived secluded, or so the texts had said, and they were very, very dangerous.

Naturally the chance to learn about them from an expert was something he had never thought he would get. Before Ash could say more he blurted out “Have you seen a real dragon?!”

• Love
Ash was taken aback by the little owl's excitement and now bursting bubbling personality. Before he answered his little bird friend the elf could not help but let out a bit of laughter. "Yes, I have seen many dragons in my time on this earth. I know and known many of them as well. They are remarkably intelligent and are amazing mentors and teachers depending on if you meet a good or an evil one." He responds as he starts to take off his leather armor.

"It will take me a few good days to explain everything to you, maybe longer. And I am sure you both have things to do and attend to." The elf thinks for a moment as he took off his shirt revealing many more scars and a few markings. Many of them in ancient elvish but one of them was in a dragon-like shape. "I got the dragon one when I founded my little organization way back in the day. Before either of you were ever thought of. But it is long gone now and I do my work mostly solo." He would go into a bit of detail on the dragons he known or fought in the span of a few minutes. Before he would stop and sighs, "Those were the days. A lot easier than now, without having to worry about The Empire, nor Molthal."

Issy smiled while the two interacted, she loved how innocent her owl friend was, and this knew creature was so very kind.

She continued to sip her drink before stopping and shook her head.

"I could stop here for the day, and leave for the village tomorrow, and you are both welcome to join me tomorrow as well." She gestured and went back to sipping her drink, listening not wanting to interrupt Ashieron.

• Yay
Kikwi listened with rapt attention as Ash spoke. His mind began to bubble over with so many questions that he could scarcely decide which one to ask first, so he opted for stunned silence instead. The scars and tattoos that adorned the man were mesmerizing, and Kikwi’s large eyes soaked the markings in, committing them to memory.

As the elf concluded, Kikwi pondered for a moment. True, he would never be able to learn everything in a single meeting, and likely a single lifetime. Longevity was not his species’ strong suit, so it was a good thing his mind moved quickly.

”You said your organization was gone now?” He asked after a time. “Do you think it will ever come back?” He hoped the answer was yes. He hoped that he had not just learned of these magnificent people only for them to have disappeared. He supposed he would look very much like a bite-sized snack to most dragons, so having a group of people between him and the angry teeth seemed like the best way to begin his education on the subject.

Kikwi’s head swiveled to look back at Isabeau, although it was just so she would hear him more clearly. “I am almost done with my work here and should return to the village as well. Perhaps you could come with us, Ash?” Any chance to talk more about dragons was worthwhile, and Isabeau’s presence (and food) had been so comforting that he did not want to go very far away from her just yet.

• Popcorn
With a shrug Ash sighs, “Well, with recent events. I feel it might be better if we disperse some. To different corners of the known world and continue our work with one or two other people.” The elf smiles, “Since I did get it going again. There is only about two humans, and me currently. So it wont be too bad if we do disperse.”

Ash looks up into the canopy thinking about his plans with the other Keepers.The elf was quickly snapped back to his current reality when Izzy said something about heading to the village with Kikwi. And he was offered an invitation to join by the small owl.

“I would be happy to join. But I will probably not spend the night in an inn. I do not sleep as much anymore. So I’ll be keeping an eye out on things.” He gives his new friends a smile in thanks. He hoped the inn had some food food. He always loved to go around and sample other villages specialties!

• Yay
  • Sip
Reactions: Isabeau and Kikwi
Issy showed a satisfied smile on her features and nodded her head.

"Then it is done, once we are rested and such, we can continue the journey to the village in the morning, which gives you both plenty of time, to swap stories." She leaned over and smiled softly.

"I'll have you know, my dear winged friend here, helped to defeat a dangerous creature a Di-jinn, not only saving my life, but my dear companion here, Gabby." She grinned and then rocked back to take another sip of her drink.

She remained quiet and wanted to hear more about their new comer and also liked the sounds the forest had been making, it was soft and soothing and she wished she could live in a place like this for the rest of her life, but it wasn't the right time yet.

• Yay
If Kikwi's skin were visible beneath his thick feathers Ash and Issy would have seen him blush quite fiercely at her praise. "I-it really wasn't as impressive as all that," he stuttered, but his feathers had fluffed a bit in pride.

"I am sure you know best what to do with your organization," he replied to Ash. "But, if you ever did find yourself needing some help, well, I hope you might consider me! I have documented only a tiny part of this world's life, but I would love to add dragons to it. Maybe if more people knew about them, really knew about them, they wouldn't have such a hard time?"

He pulled out his journal and opened it so that Ash could see his sketches and notes. His drawings were very detailed, and had footnotes denoting colors and identifying features. Under one illustration of a bird was written "Caution: very feisty!"

He took another drink of berry juice and nibbled at more of the dried meat he had brought. He had quite forgotten to eat during their conversation.

• Popcorn