Open Chronicles As Death Strikes the Shore

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Amankh Kaltar

Archmage of the Eternum
Character Biography
Link
Dozens upon dozens of ships floated upon the horizon, riding upon crashing tides and waves. Massive sails filled the sky as the fleet crept closer and closer, each bearing the same sigil on their flags. As flocks of dark shapes circled above the fleet, hundreds of figures and silhouettes could be seen darting across the decks to make the final preparations necessary for landfall. Looking out from the decks, the tumultuous sea turned to the frozen soil of the Eretejva Tundra, as the fleet crept closer and closer to its rocky shores. Sanctuary, hope, freedom, war and death. All likely awaited them upon the cold lands of the tundra. One thing stood above all the rest, however. A home.

The Eternum has arrived.

~-~

A violent knocking erupted from the wooden door that led to the Archmage's quarters, cutting the silence that had permeated the room prior. "Sir! Archmage, we've arrived. The tundra is in sight." Amankh lifted the quill from the scroll he had been writing at the announcement and placed it on the desk. His eyes drifted to the portside window beside him, seeing the neighboring boat, whose undead and necromancers were all stood above deck, gazing at the unseen horizon. It seemed like the moment they've been waiting for has finally, at long last, come. After months and months of marching through the Blightlands and sailing through treacherous seas, their sanctuary was in sight.

The mummified undead grasped his staff, opening the door to reveal the messenger who had given the announcement. "Inform the others of our arrival. We shall convene at the shore." The messenger nodded, darting off through the inner bowels of the ship to alert any unaware of the journey's end. Amankh walked up the stairs above deck, the ship crowded with dozens of risen undead and necromancers, each eagerly watching the encroaching shore. Upon spotting the Archmage entering their ranks, they parted, allowing him to move to the bow of the ship. From there, Amankh looked out across the sea, and at the land that awaited them, coming ever closer.

There came the sound of anchors crashing into the shore, as the fleet grinded to a halt at the shore of the Tundra. Silence covered the decks of the Eternum ships as idle chatter was replaced with quiet astonishment at their long travel's end. At last, the Eternum could rest. Ramps and ladders were steadily lowered onto the Eretejva shore, upon which the undead began their disembarking. A flood of bodies came down from the boats, stepping foot on the soil as they gazed at the surroundings. An open tundra was laid before them, devoid of trees as mountain ranges capped with white snow rose in the distance.

Undead and skeletal beasts of labor carrying building materials streamed out of the ships, logs and stones upon their backs, being laid out at the landing site ready to be built with. A few carried sacks, each filled with potatoes no doubt grown and enchanted by Steve. Others still came with weapons at the ready, pulling out ballistas in the event of sudden attack.

Amidst the flurry of activity was Amankh, his gaze focused at the fleet docking at shore, awaiting the other leaders and members of the Eternum to arrive so that their plan could be discussed. With luck, the inhabitants of the region would either be unaware of their arrival or leave them to their own devices. Such a desire was hopeful, if not fantastical, however.

• Yay
Reactions: TTamark and Albedo
Albedo shivered on her boat, waiting for the signal of landfall. She had returned to the Eternum, the memories still burning into her waking hours at times. Those around her now knew of the times when she would become senseless and lost in the memories of her master. She had shared what was happening, fearing being a danger to them in case of a fight.

She had so much more to offer now though. Having essentially lived her master's life had shown her his idea's, his techniques, his successes and failures. She could expand on that list of successes at far less the horrendous cost in her opinion, but no less move forward.

She was settled in her own cabin, lost in memories when landfall had occurred. Her boat docked and unloading well before any sign of the lich girl shown. Coming back to herself was now a task, having to be caught up on what was happening around her. What had transpired and what others were doing.

Settling on being finished with the ordeal sooner than later, she stood, feeling a weight on her that had settled with Edmund's passing. While Rigor had taken his soul, it felt like all of his guilt and regrets had set upon her like a demented yoke. Or maybe that was just her own feelings at watching his actions. She was drained and couldn't rightly make heads or tails of it now though.

"Get moving girl, you are likely expected." Rigor hissed in her mind as only a cat could. The heavy sigh was the only sign of acknowledgement she gave the fae now bound to her. She felt her stomach, content that her phylactery was safe for the time being.

"Let us see what ice blasted rock we have landed upon." The humor in her voice a touch to dry. She didn't object to them finding a home, and the effort of preserving their bodies constantly was certainly a worry. On the other hand, the serious lack of material's at all times was the trade off.

She wobbled out onto the deck and stared over the flurry of activity below, her sunken and tired eyes taking in all of the sights. Amankh awaited plainly on the shore for the other members to arrive, remembering she had taken the place of her late master. She gave a weak smile, looking fairly fresh still for a long undead woman. The cold had done wonders for her in the absence of her master's careful hand.

She neared the other undead and gave a nod of greeting as she bundled herself against the wind rather than the cold, tucking her hair back into the hood. If it weren't for a few stitches across her face, she would readily pass for a living person.

• Yay
Reactions: Amankh Kaltar
Steve had been one of the first off the ship, heading to the land with his hands on his hips, a smug smile on his face, and glee in his heart. His rowboat was rowed by two large orcs, but hanging on to the paddles were two skeletal chickens each as they tried to help. The moment the rowboat hit the sand Steve fell forwards into the water from the collision. His cool hat being carried away by the wind and the sea. A single tear fell from his cheek hidden by all the freezing sea water dripping off of him.

Steve ran inland, and planted one of his potato stones. The land, even in this cold climate, gave way to the potato plants that began rising from the ground spreading everywhere within twenty paces. He inspected his new field, and assigned the orc who was first to show up at the field the position of head farmer, of the first royal potato field of eternity. His name would go down in the history books as farmer Joe. The orc tried to give his name, but was quick to realize the pointlessness and accepted his fate, some of the other orcs patting his shoulders in sympathy.

Steve came running back, his chickens waddling not far behind, as the rest of the Eternum began reaching shore. Buttercup released the still warm stew Steve had started when they neared the island, on the shore, where Steve began to reheat it. As Amankh, and Albedo reached the shore Steve came running over with his chickens in tow carrying stew for all to celebrate their official landing on "Er-eat-a-jav-aka" as Steve called it. Some of the chickens pecked gently at Albedo's feet and legs demanding her attention as they waved and danced about. Others tried to look as stoic as Amankh, more still wished simply to play with Lillian hopping all about. Steve himself stomping his feet creating a beat and burst out in song,

"...Stamp on the ground
Jump, jump, jump, jump
Moving all around
We're jumping all around
Düp düp düp düp düp
Jumping all around..."

Sockets devoid of eyes but no less capable of sight turned to notice a strange movement in the soil near to the shore. However, it soon became clear what the source was, as sprouts took root and rose out of the ground despite the frigid landscape. A field of potatoes, likely the first of many, stood, whipped by cold winds yet standing through sheer force of magic. Despite the majority of the Eternum requiring no such sustenance, it was no doubt a comfort to the living among them to see that sustenance was already being grown.

Amankh turned his gaze from the field of plants to Albedo as she descended from one of the many ships. "Albedo, it's good to have you with us," the mummy reiterated as he greeted her. The death of her master was an unfortunate event, as well as Albedo's subsequent disappearance. Her return was welcomed, along with her newfound knowledge and aid. Soon after, Steve joined them, accompanied by poultry carrying stew. a song and dance followed, the chickens surrounding the enthusiastic necromancers beginning to frolic in the open tundra.

When the melody was finished, Amankh slowly inhaled and scanned the horizon, the golden mask which adorned half of his face glistening in the sunlight. Cold mist trailed out of his jaw as he exhaled, taking the sight in. "At long last, we have made it," he began. "After marching and sailing, we have reached our new home. Our sanctuary, if you will." The normally stoic and serious demeanor seemed to lessen for a moment, giving way to satisfaction and pride.

Returning his attention to the two beside him, he gestured out to the Eternum among the shore. "Now that we are here, we must discuss our future plans. We must be ready for conflict from the inhabitants of this tundra. I imagine not all will be content with allowing our presence here to remain. I've taken the liberty of sending out scouts to go ahead and see what settlements are nearby."

Last edited:
Giving Amankh a small tip of the head as well as another smile, it was pleasant to be in his company once more. Even more so as not just an equal, but a settler. "It is good to be back." She admitted, hearing the cackle of the cat in her mind. At first thinking Steve would join them, she watched as he ran off instead and planted one of his stones in the ground.

She watched the soil shift and spring forth with potatoes, taking note that Steve's magic worked even in the harsh and unforgiving place that would have been the death knell for the living among them. An orc unfortunately was renamed, earning a sympathetic look from Albedo as the chickens began to dance and some demanded her attention. She bent down enough to give them all a quick bit of attention before watching Steve dance and sing.

It was pleasant to see cheer and a love of life among the long and far dead. The constant reminder of the dead pleasantly broken up by his display's of joy and sheer force of will certainly helped her mood.

Amankh spoke at length, the pleased air of his words settling on her as she too looked about for a short time. Then he called them back to an immediate matter of defending themselves from potential foes. Very likely for the natives to not want the undead for neighbors.

"A settlement palisade or equivalent would likely be in order, for both wind protection and for defense. Something to readily gather behind rather than singling us out for any brave, or fool hearty souls. Scouts were an excellent choice for the first move. What did you send out?" Albedo asked, curious as to the assignment.

• Yay
"Sanctuary?... I like it"

Steve scanned the landscape before looking back where the Ships had come from. He pulled out a piece of paper which was a rough and very old map. He looked at it be fore scanning the landscape and the passage of water they came up.

"It would definitely be a good idea to get some more accurate maps of the land made, because all I see here is a small diamond signifying the island where we are. It didn't even have any indications of the rivers we took inland. Also here look at this. Is this light patch in the north east supposed to be mountains, hills, swamp, snow? Yeah we need some cartographers to make us some proper maps, but even rough sketches from scouts would likely work wonders.

You are right Albedo we do need to set up camp, but it needs to be done right. All the orcs, that helped me in the kitchens will set up the kitchen and medical tents, and return to their duties.

The rowers will be in charge of digging the trenches around the camp and setting up walls, four for each side of the camp, two for each side of the gate. Normally we could harvest wood from the surrounding land, but as we are on the beach at the moment it would be best to strip the ships for supplies, and wood.

I appreciate you sending out scouts already Amankh, but, I will need more information, what instruction did you give the scouts: Are they exploring the whole island, how far out are they searching for settlements, what are their additional orders, are they searching for resources, are they mapping? If anything is not covered we need to know so we can cover it.

We will need the rest of the members to set up tents for themselves, as well as for the working crews. I will also request that we gather all the necromancers, and leaders for a meeting to take part in future planing and fill them in with their additional orders.

After all this has been finished, we should stretch our bones, we have been on sea for too long, I suggest each necromancer gathering those below them and running drills, maybe even against each other if time permits. Alright we should get to it."

Steve tossed a potato into the air which exploded with a pop, to gather everyones attention,

"Aright, everyone gather round..."

"Indeed," he agreed as he nodded along to Albedo's advice. "Proper stone walls will take time to be be constructed, a palisade will provide ample defense in the meantime. I shall instruct a few of my mages to aid the orcs in setting one up, their ice magic will allow them to reinforce whatever they build." Being able to aid construction efforts was one of the main reasons why ice magic was something he focused on teaching to his pupils during the long journey on sea. This would allow them to make use of what they had spent so long learning, and further display their aptitude.

Returning to the topic of scouts, he clarified, "I sent three groups along the coast and further inland, each consisting of mounted necromancers and undead, as well as a few raised birds. They were instructed to map out the landscape as they see it, including any potentially useful resources. If they see any settlements, they were instructed to observe from afar without confrontation and detail it, then notifying us through one of the undead avians they were sent with. Once they convene at the opposite end of the island, they will compare notes and upon their return, relay all information to us and create the final map." Gesturing for Steve to show the map, he traced the paths the three scouting parties took with a skeletal finger. "As they see anything particularly of note, we'll be informed by messages so we can quickly take advantage of it."

Amankh nodded at Steve's suggestion of creating drills for the undead to keep in shape after so long at sea. "Yes, some combat drills will prepare them nicely for whatever may come. I can create some for the magically talented of them." He watched the potato get thrown into the air before suddenly exploding, creating a resounding boom. Those of the Eternum nearby all looked to the group, coming closer to the trio to hear what had to be said.

"One made of ice should assist with time constraints as well as lack of materials. We will have to figure out some sort of trade agreement or secure source for obtaining further building materials." Albedo had nothing further to say as Steve spoke. The pair spoke about the scouts and their goal. Maps would be excellent for any future incidents, as well as planning out their defenses for later. Not that a lot could likely escape from a large gathering of magic users.

Then again confidence was always the beginning in the lesson of being humble.

Steve threw a potato in the air that popped and drew everyone's attention. She waited for those called to assemble and listen to their new plan now that they had landed. "You could make use of this time and devise some traps to keep the settlement secure. Have to use a few of the undead to do it, but-" Rigor spoke in her mind. "Hush" Albedo hissed quietly to herself.

• Yay
Steve Gave the orders as he had run them by the other, adding on that the ice mages under Amankh would be expected to reinforce the defences with their magic. Steve quickly directed the crews to know exactly where, and how large he wished for things to be. After words he returned to Amankh,

"Alright, now we just need to make sure they all know how to do this automatically without orders. I hope I can rely on you for talking with the commanders, I am good at knowing what needs to be done, not so good at saying it, HAHA. But for now we should focus on reinforcing this temporary camp until we have found a better spot we know is definitively where we will stay. Besides we may have eternity to live, but the difficulty will only grow the longer it takes us to dig in. Better having a few points we can hold well for now. So yeah we will need everyone to know their roles, and jobs in the future, and a brief outline for what we are working towards.

Once we have the rough stuff worked out, I am sorry to say, I have some business in Elbion I will have to take care of, I have put it off long enough already.

The undead assembled around the group, intent eyes watching them as they listened to the incoming orders. There was a murmur of understanding and affirmation that spread across the assembled members, as they set out to work.

Logs were brought from the ships onto the backs of undead beasts of labor, guided to the edge of their camp, as others dug out trenches. The wood was sharpened into stakes and placed into the ground. The Eternal mages that accompanied the laborers conjured ice that enveloped the stakes, reinforcing its placement, and formed defenses of its own. The palisade would take time, but provided there are no interruptions, its construction should be completed in due time. The camp itself was also coming into motion, with tents beginning to be put up for its members. Amankh nodded to Steve's words, well aware of his weakness of relaying information. "Albedo and I can handle instructing the commanders on what is needed from them and those under their control."

The mummy tilted his head in slight surprise at the mention of business in Elbion, taken aback by the sudden reveal. After a moment of consideration, he said, "Very well. I do have a favor to ask of you, then, seeing as you will be heading to the mainland." During their long journey across the sea, it had been an ever-present thought residing at the back of his mind. "I need you to go to the Amol-Kalit. Tell me what you find there, among the Abtati. If you can... locate the tombs of my fellows. When our domain is stable, I wish to venture there." Although the tone he spoke with was the same methodic and regal speech as usual, there was an underlying emotion to his words. It was not spoken, but it was clear what he wished to do. Unearth the city of his past, and raise the corpses that lie below the sands to walk above it once more. To restore the forgotten glory of Abtatu, reborn and truly eternal. To never be forgotten to the changing sands of time. It was wishful and perhaps foolish, but to have the opportunity to bring his people back and not take it...

Amankh put an end to that train of thought, returning his attention to the matter at hand. Staff in hand, he moved over to one of his most promising students, who had assigned command over some of his less skilled peers. "Begin drilling the mages. Combat foremost, utility second. We are in new territory, and I want to be prepared for whatever may come at our gates." The Eternal nodded, beckoning the undead wizards to him before detailing the exercise. Soon after, blasts of arcane energy streaked through the sky before quickly being dispelled by other students. This exchange continued, with magic being shot and then dispelled by various mages. The Archmage watched for a moment, overseeing the drill before beginning to go around the camp and directing varying parts of the construction effort.

• Yay
Reactions: TTamark and Albedo
Steven spoke at length, leaving Amankh and herself in charge of things here as he informed them of unfinished business in Elbion. She was a bit agahst at the sudden mention of the place. She blinked a few times before giving an affirming nod to tell them she had been listening.

Amankh began to speak of Steve visiting another place, the tone of the mummy carrying a hint of emotion behind the words before finishing his request and moving to instruct the mages.

"I will give assistance whenever amd wherever I can. Safe journey to you Steve." She spoke quietly before moving to help with the tents and whatever else the lot needed help with.