LFG Arm Wrestling in the Allir Reach

Roan Dorn

An Old Soldier
Character Biography
Link
Hello there,

Thought I'd probe for any interest in an Arm Wrestling Tournament in the Allir Reach. I've thought about creating some lore based around a town or village in the Reach that hosts an annual tournament drawing in competitors from surrounding communities and anyone else who may be in the vicinity.

The Winner would likely receive some local renown throughout the Reach for the year, I'm thinking minor celebrity status amongst the various towns and villages as well as a small purse of prize money. Competitors would likewise earn a bit of clout or renown depending on where they placed.

I'm thinking that a reasonable Tourney could be with eight competitors though less or more is also doable with the inclusion of bye rounds, etc if there is an odd number of competitors.

···​

The Tournament mechanics would be fairly straight forward.

Each competitor would enter their match with a bank of 50 points. Competitors each rolls 1d100's with the highest roll gaining the advantage, the difference between the rolls is then subtracted from the bank of the competitor with the disadvantage. When one competitors bank reaches 0 their arm has been pinned and they've lost the match

Each match would likewise consist of three rounds, if there is no winner after three rounds the competitor with the highest remaining point bank and overall advantage would be considered the victor.

An example would be...

Round 1
Arm Wrestler 1 rolls 1d100 = 57
Arm Wrestler 2 rolls 1d100 = 32

Arm Wrestler 1 has Advantage for the first round and Arm Wrestler 2 subtracts the difference between the rolls (25) from his point bank leaving them with 25 remaining points out of 50.

Round 2
Arm Wrestler 1 rolls 1d100 = 42
Arm Wrestler 2 rolls 1d100 = 83
Arm Wrestler 2 has now taken the advantage, pushing back against their opponents momentum and Arm Wrestler 1 subtracts the difference between the rolls (41) from his point bank leaving them with 9 remaining points out of 50.

Round 3
Arm Wrestler 1 rolls 1d100 = 12
Arm Wrestler 2 rolls 1d100 = 74
Rallying back from his earlier disadvantage Arm Wrestler 2 pushes hard to maintain his momentum and Arm Wrestler 1 subtracts the difference between the rolls (62) from his point bank leaving them with -53 remaining points out of 50. Arm Wrestler 2 pins their arm and is the victor.

Of course this was just one example of a possible outcome. It's conceivable and possible that with enough difference between rolls an Arm Wrestler could be out on the first or second round or not at all. As Arm Wrestling combines technique, strength, reaction time and other variables this wouldn't be a reflection on who the stronger character is necessarily just who was better prepared on that day and at that time.

···​

If there's enough interest I'll throw something together. The Tournament doesn't even need to be the sole focus for the thread. Networking, character development, backroom diplomacy, etc could all play different roles and sub plots for individual characters throughout.

This sounds like a very fun thread to be a part of. If we can treat it like an annual festival with vendors and gambling that would really make it more fun as well.

• Yay
Reactions: Roan Dorn
I don't see why it couldn't play a role in an annual festival and whenever there's a tournament there tends to be a bit of gambling as well. Hahah.

How about a post planting festival? The Reach is a big bread basket after all. It could be a good way for them to try to use up the last of their food stock before it goes bad, to bring in some needed coins between harvests, and let the youngsters get out their pent up energy now that the planting is done.

Sure, I like that idea a lot and it makes sense. It would be a good way to bring all the communities together too. There's nothing saying that the festival has to be held in any one village or town either, it could move annually so that different locales host it which could also deepen the lore of the Reach and create more locations.

Acteon Cass if you're up for it I'll start an Open Thread for the Festival and we can do some Arm Wrestling. Anybody who wants can join in after that.