Open Chronicles Arena chapter 1: Forest Amphitheatre

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Velle

Character Biography
Link
proxy.php

--
Birds of prey flew high o'er the forest.
They're bold still, -
to be out at this time, when ichor has hung the woodland in tears.
But the weather was soon to change, washin' clean the forest, yes it did. With the pitter-patter goin' quiet, and the clouds moving away, now well in sight; the cerulean sky above. This would be the new heavenly dome of the arena.
With the ampitheatre engulfed in sunlight, any hint of moisture would be gone, with the climate ending up highly refreshing.
--
A mere week ago, stray trees were cut down an' moss from the ampetheatre was uprooted. Two tents, for Horacia and her gladiators were set up.This derelict patch of land was quickly turned into a lucent glade; an attractive stage in the middle of the Allir reach, among many towns and cities. Hopes were high for bustling attendance!
But it was not quite done yet. There was the komodo lass, the founder of this place, coating the platform in red sand as if they're sowing seeds over fertile land.
'Twould make her smile; the prospect of fortune down the line. But her mind, despite being a seasoned veteran an' solider, was not quite adamantine. Hidin' behind her smile was uncertianty. Will there be an afterglow, or will there be failure? In war there was only victory and death. Here, failure could quickly end yet another ambitious dream.
And where was her cofounder! Nowhere to be found. Oh well, seems as if she'll have to deal with the lizard 'n otter on her own. She better finish this quickly, for the Arena is scheduled to open in an hour and half.

Speaking of them, where were they again?

Xoro'Ga & Teddy Maximus

150 Minutes to Arena Opening

"Yes, Xoro'Ga is a monster, I can't even believe they will let people face him alone.". The couple seemed to be convinced now. Teddy passed them a flier advertising the arena. "So that makes...", the otter checked the number of fliers still left in his backpack, "What, 14-15 interested groups? Not a bad day, Maximus.". He looked at his pocketwatch, and realized it was probably time to head to the arena. He would not travel alone of course, but with his giant friend.

90 Minutes to Arena Opening

Teddy got out of their transportation gimmick first. His otter neck turned left and right, left and right until his eyes landed on a person among this empty field. The otter rushed over to the person with his admittedly short legs. "Can I just say..." he said, once he was but a few meters away from her so she could hear him, "You are making a great business and entertainment choice right this second.". He approached the person and offered his hand, tipping his hat with the other one, "Thaddius Maximus, at your service.".

This wasn't the first fight that Xoro'Ga had that an audience would have the pleasure to witness. He'd grown accustomed to the eyes of others watching his work throughout his life, after all, it was difficult to ignore the titanic beast. A plethora of names went hand-in-hand with rumours of him, each more imposing than the last, yet none of them mattered. All that he was concerned about was the victory. Winning was all there is in a fight, regardless of means.. a single loss could sometimes mean death, and there was no room for dying in the plans that had cultivated in his mind with the aid of Teddy Maximus.

Welcoming of any challenge that could be provided, Xoro'Ga remained isolated from others while Teddy went about promoting the fight for him. He performed a variety of long range movements to open up his limbs and provide more flexibility in the show to come. The otter had reminded him of that, "It's just a show, Xoro'Ga, put on a show, do not kill them. I repeat, do not kill, it is a show." He repeated the mantra inside his head during the limber exercises, awaiting the mans return. Don't kill. Make it a spectacle. Don't kill. Soon enough, his companion arrived and they set off to the arena where names would be forged, and fortune accumulated.

Wandering a few meters behind Teddy, Xoro'Ga had a variety of red clay markings adorning his appendages and frill in intricate patterns, a loin cloth securing him and allowing the fullest movement he could hope to attain. The shifting of red sand under his gnarled feet brought a mild comfort that reminded him of his younger days in the pits of the tribe.. What a time they had been when he could fight creatures worthy of him. Don't kill. The cold-blooded creature nodded its head to one of the owners of the new enterprise. Teddy could handle the talking, he'd handle the entertainment.

Maecillia had all but emptied the sand reserves, They'll do good in hiding dry blood. Less work spent cleaning, more time spent training.

Finally, the veteran sighed as she was approached by the familiar co-worker. "Thank you, t's good to have you, Maximilian... Can I ask you something?"
"Would you handle the presentation."

Her eyes briefly shifted to Xoro'ga. She can fight him ay, but perhaps he should be equipped with a large shied for a trick she has in mind...

"Oh Horatia..." Teddy said with a smile and a confident tone, "Presentation is one of my middle names. You don't need to worry about it at all. I also took the liberty to do some more last-minute advertising, I expect it will pay off big time. Xoro'Ga here has a tendency to sell tickets with his existence alone.".

He turned to Xoro'Ga. "So friend... Anything you need before the fighting starts? Will you use weapons today, other than your hands?".

The great expanse of blue that was the sky proved a good omen for the primordial creature, such signs always having been viewed as the promise of a good fight by the tribe he had once traveled with. Few avians blotted the beautiful expanse, yet they were minding their business and doing whatever it was that birds do, Xoro'Ga never had reason to pay them more attention than he would a worm.

Dropping his gaze down towards the two in the immediate area, he shifted his weight downwards so that he was transitioning into a kneeling position, taking large handfuls of the red sand and rubbing his palms together; it worked better with dirt, but it helped to accustom him to the environment that he was in. That was important for any warrior that didn't hope to misjudge what they could do on the terrain. Coarse, rough, yet able to hold a decent amount of weight before it shifted. This would be fun.

Xoro'Ga shook his head to the words of Teddy, his slit eyes looking around the arena before the first few words slithered from his maw, "Where's the fighter?" By now he'd finished getting a feel for the sand, slowly pushing himself back from the ground while he awaited an answer.

Horatia Cara Maecilia patted Maximilian by the shoulder.

"I am your oponent," she said with the most cliche tone possible.
The komodo was truly not as imposing as the large reptilian. Tsk. But she was a seasoned fighter with a rather nasty trick up her sleeve. "We'ill give you a shield, use it well an' hide behind it when I do this:"
The komodo inhaled sharply and pompously. Shoulders almost reachin' up to 'er ears. "And then I spit fire."
Such a telegraphed attack would do no good in battle, but it'll look pompous and extravagant enough for the crowd, an' easy enough to spot by the oponent.

Last edited:
Teddy's body started shaking with excitement when Horatia said she'd be Xoro'Ga's opponent. "Let the preparations begin!". He dashed out. The first place he was going to hit was the armory. He wanted to make sure that all weapons and armor was ready for battle, none were magically enchanted, that no tricks were played on them. For the next half an hour or so he just scouted the whole area, making sure everything (and I mean absolutely everything) was in place. He then welcomed guest, checked back with security, just went through the whole protocol they had prepared sooner.

Thirty minutes until the Arena was scheduled to start.

Teddy found Xoro'ga in the area, wherever he was at that point. He pulled him aside and made sure nobody else could hear them talk. "So, pal. I'm sure you remember this already, but I thought I'd remind you already. No killing. I promise, we'll hit a Killing-Allowed Arena soon enough. This one's unfortunately not one of them. Okay? You're on board with this? Oh before I forget, also... You know I will never tell you to lose a fight or go easy on anyone, but Horatia is our business partner, and we wouldn't want her badly harmed, I believe you'd agree. If you dialled it back a little bit against her, you can go harder on the next guy. How does that sound?".

Only a few minutes until the Arena was scheduled to start.

Teddy was in the gladiator's tent, with Xoro'Ga and the rest of the fighters. He peeked out through the entrance of the tent to the crowd. The place was almost full. People seemed to be enjoying themselves already, making small talk, enjoying the scenery, eating all kinds of snacks. He turned back to his gladiators. "Okay boys and girls... I hope you're all ready for the show... We'll start in a few minutes.".

The declaration was a surprising one to be sure. He didn't expect to be fighting one of the owners of this enterprise which threw more complications into the works. Apparently he was to be given a shield so that eh could protect himself from a telegraphed breath attack, an idea that was most peculiar to the lizard, yet he wouldn't voice any concern. Instead, while he gazed down at her he offered some words that she might take comfort in, "I look forward to testing your worth. No kill." The remnants of what could potentially be called a smile, or rather the best that he could muster, embellished the statement before he wandered off to the armory to prepare for the show.

Shield.. but a shield without a weapon would look off. To counter this, he took hold of a sizable spear and made off with the two items. The extra range would be helpful in this scuffle and perhaps even aid him in not causing an abundance of damage, after all a single blow from his hands would likely do more internal damage than a spear, so it was for the best.

Xoro'Ga nodded his head to the words of his compatriot, the very same thought having gone through his mind. It would also serve well to warm him up to the arena and the theatrics involved, as he was certain there'd be a great deal of them for one that is only just starting up. He continued his static stretches in the gladiator tent, ignoring the others in the area as his state of mind transitioned. He had to be limber to put on the best show.

Horatia Cara Maecilia nodded her head. This shall be interestin' still.
"It will be an honour to fight you, big fella."

Horatia would spend the followin' minutes fixing up the tribunes an' red send. Soon enough she'd move into her tent, where she'd stretch her muscles and mentally prepare herself for the crowd.

20-10 minutes before the start...
Horatia was eyeing her armour. It had a particular scaly look to it and its helmet was shaped like an open dragon's maw. She's been maditating on it for quite a few minutes now.
It was time to put it on... Now where is her assistant...

And... It was time.

Teddy nodded to his friend. He knew he'd get it. The otter stepped out of the tent. The crowd, seeing the otter walk into the middle of the arena, slowly grew more silent. Teddy waited for a few seconds, before the crowd was in absolute silence, waiting. Teddy touched the necklace he was wearing, the pointy end causing minor damage to his finger and dropping a bit of his blood into the accessory made out of an expensive stone.

He talked. His voice boomed, the volume enhanced by the runes on his necklace, "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!"... A wave of excited shouts went through the crowd. "WELCOME TO THE FIRST EVER... ALIR. REACH. AREENAAAAAAA!". Excited shouts, whistles, battlecries.

"WITHOUT FURTHER ADO! FOR OUR OPENING FIGHT! OUR FIRST FIGHTER. THE EXPERIENCED. THE GIFTED. HORATIA! CARA! MAECILIAAAAAAAA!". Crowd went wild.

"AND AGAINST HER! THE TEN FEET TITAN. THE MONSTER OF ALLIRIA! GIVE IT UP TOOOO:..". Part of the crowd recognised the person and the chant from Teddy having given them the speech earlier, and shouted along with Teddy, "XO! RO! GAAAAAAAAAA!".

Today, a new chapter in her livfe truly begins.
Horatia now wore her scaly armour and protective binds on her her forearms, other than that, her legs and half her upper arms were exposed. The mask upon her face made the komodo remind of a dragon. In one hand she had a short sword, on the other but a dagger.

As the crowd began to gather

On the announcement.

Horacia Cara Maecilia came promptly into view, raising her short sword high into the air before entering the sandy stage.
Her eyes would first shift to glance the estatic crowd. Looks like this might just pay off.

Play to your strengths. Accentuate your attributes. Be the figure the crowd wants to see. Be.. larger than life.

Creatures as big as him weren't often bore witness with peoples own eyes, merely spoken of in rumour and whispered into childrens ears to warn them away from the savage lands. The treacherous jungles where the crude lizardmen could be found patrolling close to the swamps. A brutish tribe some stories told, yet others spoke of deeper meanings.. of scholars and a deeper attunement with nature.

This did not matter.

The people here didn't want to be proven wrong, they wanted to see a beast fight, whether they truly were as terrifying as the otter had proclaimed.

A familiar voice pierced the veil of the tent and he knew it was almost his time. He felt the weight of the shield in his hand, as well as the balance of the spear in his other. Not the best equipment to play on savagery, yet he could work with it. Bouncing lightly on the balls of his feet as his name was getting announced, he waited until the last drawn out syllable before charging straight through the parted cloth flap of the tent that shielded him from view.

The prehistoric creature charged into the center of the ring, exposing his brilliant scales to the environment with his tribal markings painting a story of savagery across his form to play with the crowd. At the end of the charge, a thunderous roar bellowed from its throat, leaning forwards towards Hotaria as if it was an attempt to intimidate her even though it was to play up the excitement of the crowd. Drawing out the roar he turned to draw his eyesight along the entirety of the crowd as the squeals of excitement hastened, breaths paused as the eyesight of a predator fell upon them. He plodded around the ring once in a semi-circle so that he was at the opposite end of the arena, facing his opponent with a feral look fastened inside his primal eyes.

This would be fun.

As the two would enter the Arena at their pace, Horacia would quickly ready herself to be opposite of the giant, his display of might through his roar sure enticed to crowd in his favor.
Who will win? Will the lithe veteran be curbstomped by the giant, or will the valiant warrior heroically defeat the beast.

Her feet would feel the reddish sand. It was thick and clumpy from the rain and felt good to stand on. The conditions were almost to perfect.

Like a predator, she would begin to circle slowly the larger Xoro'Ga, looking for openings, occasionally throwing a feint at him to provoke the lizzrd into attacking.