Private Tales An Unexpected Meeting

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
A loud growl echoed throughout the forest floor, it was dinner time, and his stomach was growling in protest, demanding him to stop and eat. Apart of him wanted to listen to his body, he wanted to sit down and eat and afterward get a full nights worth of rest. However, the rational part of his brain sneered at such a foolish idea. He was on the run, and if he stopped now, his pursuers would surely catch him, and if they found him, they would kill him. So he urged himself onwards and continued running through the forest. Looking upwards he could see the sun beginning to descend beneath the horizon, indicating that the night was fast approaching. He had to get out of here soon less he wanted to be stranded in darkness and without a clue where he was going.

Off in the distance, Erek heard the sound of snapping wood and distributed animals. Cautious of what may be out their Erek dropped down low scanning the surrounding area. Fortunately for him, his paranoia saved his life, moments later a crossbow bolt effortlessly soared through the air until it punched through the tree behind him with a loud thunk. Erek narrowed his eyes, that bolt was meant for him. Erek felt his hand move toward the hilt of his sword. They're here. Turning towards where the crossbow bolt originated, Three men donned in Witch Hunter uniforms emerged from their respective hiding spots, weapons already glinting in their hands. The leader of the group wielded a crossbow while the other two held swords.

“Stand down Abomination, we know what you are and of your crimes against the people of Caelfall, ” the Witch Hunter with the crossbow said.

“I don’t know what you are talking about I’m just a humble traveler,” Erek replied calmly. Humoring the mage, the Witch Hunter decided to play along. “A traveler you say, yet you're not using the main roads. Why is that?”

“Aye, that’s true I'm not using the main roads, I heard rumors of bandits attacking travelers on the main road, and according to my map, I will be able to reach my destination sooner if I cut through these woods anyway, so It seemed more beneficial if I didn't take the main roads,” Erek answered cooley. He wasn't lying Caelfall was on the edge of civilization and was known for having to defend itself against bandit and brigands on a regular basis.

“There are creatures far more dangerous than bandits in these woods. I suggest you come with us.”

"That’s alright I can handle myself,"
Erek said as he showed them the sword at his hip, " I've had years of experience, cutting down those that tried to harm me."

"Was that a threat?"

"No, I'm just stating a fact. Whether or not you want me to act on that fact...Well, that is up to you?"

“Enough!" One of the swordsmen bellowed. "We don't have time for this. We weren’t asking, come with us to be judged for your crimes, or we will drag your corpse back abomination.”Erek let out a tired sigh, pulling his sword out and stepping forward, his blade poised and ready.

“So be it. In the holy name of Lord Annuk, you shall pay for your wicked ways in blood," The Witch Hunter Snarled. “Slay the Abomination.”

Kassa Lia

Such a beautiful sound these voices were! She heard them from a short distance, voices filled with hate and malevolence, challenging their precious “Abomination”… though whatever that was, Kassa Lia could not guess. Hidden in the woods and camouflaged by her forest-green robes, she considered the mystery for a moment, one finger pressed against her lips in thought. Surely it was dangerous. But she was as certain of this as she was of her ability to protect and fend for herself. Whatever threats might lie in wait, she was unafraid, even as she tried to be at least a bit concerned. A touch of fear told one to be safe, to be cautious, to be wary for one’s life. It was less trouble that way.

With silent footsteps she strode past great oak and birch, their branches casting long shadows in the descending evening. The moon was already in the sky, a ghastly bloated thing that stared down at the sight that soon befell her eyes. Four men. Three of them Witch Hunters by their crisp uniforms. She breathed in sharply, her eyes narrowing to slits, all too aware of their prejudices and biases against certain… beings and magic casters, regardless of their origins and ultimate intentions.

And here they were, prosecuting an "Abomination" who was clearly nothing of the sort.

One of the sharper junior Hunters spotted Kassa. He wheeled around, his crossbow aimed straight at her. “Another one!” he shouted.

“Execute them!” the apparent leader yelled. “Give no mercy to these foul Abominations! We will cleanse the world of these dark minions!”

Minions? How insulting. Kassa pursed her lips in irritation as the Hunter let fly the bolt.

Before it could strike her heart, the bolt hit something invisible and hard, something that flashed a dark violet at the impact. The bolt shattered, falling to the ground in pieces. Slowly Kassa walked forward, and every following bolt and arrow that sought to kill her struck the barrier and were rendered impotent.The swordsman charged at her and she waved a hand. A tendril of solid black energy swept out form the shadows surrounding them, ensnaring his legs like some vengeful serpent. He fell to the ground, entangled, unable to move as the black coils wrapped around his limbs and torso, binding him fast.

The Witch Hunter leader looked at her, then the “Abomination.” He swore as he charged at his original target. He would take at least one of them out; he would see at least one of them burn. The one remaining crossbowman dropped his weapon and drew a slender rapier, just in time for Kassa to grip him by the throat.

“Drop it, sweetie.”

He dropped it.

• Yay
Reactions: Erek Blackmore
Erek was already calculating a plan of attack when a newcomer, an attractive human female donned in green robes arrived. She reminded him of a character within a tale he heard. A hero gets lost inside a forest and accidentally finds the spirit that resides there. A creature of remarkable beauty that guards her home against invaders. After proving to her, that he isn't an enemy and earning her respect she assist him in navigating her home.

The Witch Hunter must have heard a different version of the tale because instead of inquiring about the woman’s presence he shouted before raising his crossbow and pulling the trigger, firing a deadly bolt aimed at her heart.

“Pity I think I would have enjoyed talking to her after all was said and done,” Erek said though there was no remorse in his voice. Things like this happened all the time especially in his line of work. If he were supposed to cry every time an innocent person was killed he would create a new ocean. Just before the bolt punched through her chest, a barrier made out of magical energy appeared, upon contact, the bolt shattered and fell to the ground. Not realizing the futility of the situation the Witch Hunter continued to fire bolts. None of them managed to get past the barrier. Since range attacks didn't seem to be effective the swordsman, believed he could do a better job. The results were laughable. A solid black tendril immediately disabled the swordsman, leaving him bound and helpless. Erek's mouth curved into a smile. It looks like I can have that chat after all.

Seeing his subordinate get trounced awakened a primal emotion within him: fear. He knew he stood no chance against the witch. She was too powerful, and he didn’t have enough men or the right equipment even to try and defeat her, turning to Erek who was alone and unharmed, perhaps there was another way he could serve his God, shifting away from Kassa Lia the man bellowed a war cry before charging at Erek.

The man had a sword, much the same as Erek, and attacked swiftly, pitching forward on one foot as thrust the blade and extending his body out almost perpendicularly. Twisting back from the stab, Erek spun his weapon out and caught the other, deftly moving it along a different trajectory before tilting in and lashing out with his clenched fist. The fist smashed into the Witch Hunter’s face, the force of the blow staggered the man, but only for a moment. Soon he was back into the fight, slashing his blade horizontally at Erek's chest, Erek moved to intercept it, only to realize that his opponent's slash had changed into a thrust mid-swing. Unable to defend against it, Erek threw himself out of reach, years of training kicking in as he rolled across the forest floor in a tangle of cloth, steel, and skin. He came upon his knees, his opponent already charging him. Catching the man in the eyes, Erek channeled magic through his gaze and deep into his opponent's mind. It was quick and pathetically sloppy, but it was loud. Behind you! Came the scream of caution fueling this particular hypnotic push, freezing his opponent in mid-stride as he whirled back on the defensive against something that wasn’t there.

Erek had taken that that as an opportunity to finish their fight, by the time the man had realized that the abomination’s foul magic had tricked him, the Erek had already delivered the death blow, his sword cleaving fast and hard through the bastard's shoulder and out the other side. An impossibly clean stroke that left the Which Hunter sliced neatly in two.

Powered by Ki, there was no way one could comprehend his terrifying might unless they understood the magic that fueled him. Like a river’s flow, his power shifted and changed all across his body, moving from joint to joint, limb to limb, enhancing and bolstering his natural strength with the unnatural. To them, he must have seemed a monster, but to Erek, he was still just a novice with so much left to learn.

Last edited:
Impressive was an understatement. Kassa watched the man’s performance in slaying he Witch Hunter, and she felt the magic radiating from him – it was a wonderful feeling, strong and fierce. Perhaps the Witch Hunters were right in a sense, calling this man an Abomination. It was an enticing, inviting mystery, one she would have to investigate.

For now, though, there was another matter to be taken care of. The man in her grip gurgled, eyes wide with fright. She tightened her grip, choking him, but only for a moment before tossing him to the ground next to his bound companion. For a moment there was hope in his eyes, a thought that perhaps she would let him live, let him go… and gods be damned what happened to the others. But when he looked up and her green eyes met his, he quailed.

“Let there be no mercy, hmmm?” she suggested, echoing their earlier words, and smiled.

The air thrummed with power. Her robe flew open as a sudden wind picked up, blowing around her, a zephyr of mystical source and energy. She spread her arms wide, fingers splayed, her head tilted upward, eyes narrowed to focused slits. From the ground, shadows writhed and surged upward, swirling around her in thick coils, reeking of evil, of a dedication to the Dark. The coils shivered, changed into flame that birthed a heavy, odorous smoke – she breathed it in, filling her lungs, and began to chant.

“Day of Night

Blackest might.

Ravens dark

And skin white stark,

May death take shape;

And punishment, awake.”

The shadows binding the first Witch Hunter receded, and then the earth quaked. Two flaming, smoking crosses erupted behind the hunters, and ghostly chains from the arms seized them both by the wrists. They were drawn upward, screaming, and were crucified to them, dark magic raging through their bodies in an agony so vicious they soon were begging for death, for the mercy they were taught never to give.

Kassa watched them for a moment. There was not exactly pleasure in her eyes, but there was a hard sternness like a teacher chastising a student who had given a most foolish, and therefore amusing, answer. Then she brought her hands together in a sudden, harsh clap. The crosses dissipated into a black mist that soon vanished altogether, and the men fell to the ground, dead. There was not a mark on them, not a drop of blood spilt.

Just a few feet away, the Witch Hunter leader also lay dead, blood pooling around him. The Abomination’s sword was slick with this blood, and his body was wrought with power. Kassa turned to him, one eyebrow arched.

“A fine display,” she said, and a smile touched her lips. “You must know more will come after you.”

Erek's eyes darted back and forth capturing every detail as the woman before him finished off the remaining hunters with her magic. Brows furrowed Erek tried to deduce what type of magic the woman was using but was unable, he never witnessed anything quite like it before and was mesmerized by its power. Feeling a pair of green eye's fall upon him, broke the man out of his thoughts. The half-elf noticed that she no longer possessed the hardness she once held, as she eyed him a smile adorned her lips.

"Thank you, but I believe your praise is unwarranted, despite their blustering the Witch Hunters aren't exactly known for their skill in combat. Their more of an annoyance than anything. If given enough training anyone could have done what I have done." He replied as he grabbed the hilt of his longsword and gently dragged his gloved hand until he reached the tip of the blade. Once all the blood was removed, Erek deposited it into his sheath. The followers of Annuk like to pretend that they are a force to be reckoned with but in reality, they were no more than glorified thugs. That's why Erek couldn't stop himself when his lips curved into a small smile as he gazed at the bodies of the dead Witch Hunters.

"Your magical performance, however, was a much more entertaining spectacle."He stated calmly, as his gaze shifted from the woman to the deceased. He had never witnessed magic quite like the woman's and what was even more astounding was despite the great display of power, the woman hardly looked winded at all.

After a slight pause, Erek continued. "I've never seen anything like it. If you don't mind me asking what type of magic do you use?" Should his request be declined, Erek would merely nod. Unique magic, especially magic as powerful as the one the woman wielded, are often well-kept secrets controlled by powerful noble families or covens and it's rare for them to be revealed to outsiders.

“I knew that from the start, ”Erek admitted, his mouth set in a hard line. The moment he revealed his ability to manipulate arcane energy within, he knew that the witch hunters were going to track him down eventually. Smiling, "hopefully I have someone like you to assist me when they do."

As the stranger spoke, Kassa turned to the dead Witch Hunters. Bending down, she searched each of the bodies, relieving them of a few silver and gold coins kept in small leather pouches. It was a good find, though they had nothing else that she valued. She turned back to the swordsman as he questioned her about her magic, and eyed him in silence before carelessly tossing him one of the money pouches, pocketing the other two in a satchel hanging at her side. Whatever he might think, she actually felt slightly weary, and appreciated his prowess in combat. One or two thugs were easy prey. Three on the other hand, might have proven… troublesome. Either way, he had saved her some time and resources.

“Why, I do mind you asking,” she purred, her voice too pleasant. “A dashing man like you should know better manners. Did I interrogate you? But I’ll excuse you this time,” she said, tone softening, lifted with mirth at some unspoken jest.

She brushed off her green cloak, a few puffs of dust parting from the fine fabric in small puffs. Her sharp eyes, however, never left the stranger as she studied him closely. Assist him? Quite bold, and it was an idea she was not certain of. She had been blissfully alone, and trouble had made itself sparse until now. Surely if she kept this man’s company, he would draw yet more trouble to both of them. Indeed, he was a liability.

And yet, did she not come here for the mystery he posed?

A pet might be amusing, she thought. Turning abruptly, she gave vague gesture for him to follow as she set off at a brisk pace. “Best be going,” she said sharply. “I don’t want to be here when other Witch Hunters come. If my information is correct, there should be a village not far from here… and I am famished,” she added. Her other supplies were low, and eating roots and wild berries wasn’t the ideal diet.

As she walked, she glanced at him and gave him a dazzling smile. “I don’t believe I caught your name, but I am Kassa,” she said. “And you haven’t told me what you’re doing out here, getting into so much trouble, little owlet.”

With a curious glint in his eye, Erek watched as the woman rummaged through the bodies of the fallen. His questions where answered moments later as she revealed her findings. Three pouches filled with gold and silver. Pocketing two of the bags she then threw the other one his way. Snatching the pouch out of the air with ease, he then attached it to his belt. "Thanks.”He was surprised by the women's gesture but thankful nonetheless. As a man who aspired to possess great wealth one day, he was willing to take whatever he can get, even if meant taking from the dead. To the victor belongs the spoils after all.

Her voice was sweet, artificially so. Despite the tone, Erek could understand the unspoken message loud and clear: leave it alone. It caused his lips to twitch just slightly in interest and amusement.

"No, you didn't. My apologies, the curious side of me couldn't resist asking. I'll try to refrain from doing so in the future," Erek flashed her a mischevious grin, " Though I'm not sure how long I can last. "

The other mage informed him that she was ready to depart and knew of a village nearby, eager to leave the scene of the crime and remembering the gnawing hunger within him, Erek followed after her. Matching her pace, Erek walked side by side with the woman as she introduced herself and inquired about how he encountered the Witch Hunters.

"My name is Erek; it is nice to make your acquaintance Kassa," He said returning her smile." Though I don't think I will tell you my tale, however, as you have yet to tell me anything about you besides your name." After a few moments of silence, Erek would produce a mirthful chuckle. " I Jest. I was traveling east to meet a friend of mine that resides in Vel Anir when the trio of Witch Hunters stopped me. Apparently, I looked suspicious because they stopped me and demanded to check my bags for any evidence of Witchcraft, with some quick thinking I managed to confuse them with some quick thinking I managed to disorient them. I then fled into the woods where they finally managed to catch up with me. And well you know the rest."His words would be smooth and relaxed as his eyes watched her, lying was second nature it was part of him, and he had been lying about everything he ever did for the last several years. There was no skipping of the heart or uncertain shift of his eyes; his body language remained unchanged keeping it confident that he was not lying about his tale.

Witty, this stranger was. Kassa eyed him with carefully disguised interest as he fell into step beside her, ready to trust her direction even after her display of what had obviously been no benevolent magic. Trust was a foolish thing, but Kassa gave him the benefit of a doubt and assumed he was making a wise decision. Crafting friends from dangerous acquaintances was always beneficial.

She finally knew his name, but it was too late. Erek was Owlet. Kassa adored nicknames. They usually hinted at character better than real names. And real names, well, they were dangerous too. Kassa recalled the old lay told to her many times over; if you knew the real name of a demon, you could call on it and control it, or banish it as you saw fit. But knowledge of the name always came with a steep price, and was dangerous in and of itself.

It was this kind of knowledge Kassa loved.

She listened to his tale without much interest, but she did listen, and it was like hearing some wild tale from a silly child. With quick thinking he confused them, and with quick thinking he disoriented them! She doubted it was quick thinking at all, what with the power she sensed within him. Yet, he sounded and looked honest. Maybe for all he knew, he was being honest. It was a common enough case.

“You know the rest.”

“Indeed I do,” she said casually. “They gave chase and then we found them dead. How curious. I hope we don’t run into whatever dealt them such a fate.”

It was not long before the trees began to clear, and a village appeared in the distance, with a few torches flickering from sconces mounted round a small watchtower. It was dark now, with stars beginning to appear in the sky that was painted with a smattering of navy clouds and mist. A sign soon came into view – Malachias. It was not a large village, or a particularly rich one, but it was big enough to have a stable for horses and, one would hope, a tavern or two. A lightly armed guard waved at them from the watchtower; Kassa smiled at him and waved back.

“Well then, Owlet. I’m ready for some good food. I suppose you can find us a place to eat?”

After he regaled his tale, Erek smiled at Kassa but inwardly cringed. With quick thinking, he confused them, and with quick thinking he disoriented them. What was he thinking? What he said made little sense and sounded outlandish. But then again stranger things have occurred. He lived in a world where conjuring fireball and summoning creatures from different planes of existence was a somewhat daily occurrence.
Erek sighed, the subject bored him, despite his hiccup Kassa still seemed to buy the lie, so there was no longer a reason for him to dwell on the issue any longer.

“Indeed I do, They gave chase and then we found them dead. How curious. I hope we don’t run into whatever dealt them such a fate.”

He nodded if that was the story she wanted to go with so be it. The scarred half-elf had no qualms with the story; it unlike his was at least somewhat believable. Monsters and bandits are known to ambush unwary travelers who strayed too far from the roads all the time who’s to say that the Witch Hunters didn’t experience a similarly grisly fate. “Aye, such a creature would be a force to be reckoned with,” he agreed.

"Well then, Owlet. I’m ready for some good food. I suppose you can find us a place to eat?”

Instead of answering Erek nodded and took the lead. Once they entered the village, it wouldn't take long for Erek to find a tavern. Towards the center of town stood an establishment named the Nightingale. Once they reached the entrance, Erek would reach out and grasp the door handle and pull it outward; he would then move to the side and hold the door open long enough for Kassa to enter before he would bend slightly and enter the tavern. His large frame was not designed for these door's, but he had long ago become used to such things.

The tavern was long and drafty, with a row of substantial wooden kegs at one end and a fireplace at the other end. A server boy darted back and forth with platter's of food while another a man drew beer from a keg. The benches were crowded townsfolk and farmers mingled freely with travelers. After scanning the area Erek, found them an empty table near the fireplace. Erek would pull out the seat for the woman and motion for her to sit down. Should his chivalry be declined, he would smoothly move to settle down in the chair opposite of Kassa's, not put off in the least bit either way.
As his weight fell on the chair, it would groan and squeak beneath the scarred man's frame and weight, but after a few experimental shifts back and forth he would be satisfied that it would at the least support him for now. With that settled he would raise a hand lightly to get the serving boy's attention, the boy glancing up as Erek called for a flagon of beer and roasted chicken. The servant boy nodded before speeding off.

"Since we are going to be here for a considerable amount of time we might as well, get to know each other a bit." Erek started in an attempt to make idle conversation. "I told you my story, so it's only common courtesy that you tell me yours." He leaned in a bit his voice now a whisper.
"What brought you to those woods tonight?"

Though she kept her expression guarded, Kassa was secretly pleased. While it appeared to welcome patrons of all ages and class, the Nightingale was an elegant, clean place; she had been to one too many locals that watered down their ales and substituted their meat with questionable ingredients. Here she inhaled the unmistakable, strong scents of real, fresh food and fine spirits, and with Erek’s sharp perception she would soon be enjoying a meal warm beside a crackling fire. Perfect.

Crowded as it was, nobody contested for the choice spot near the fire – possibly it was Erek’s size and sword that warned anyone away. A few men of shady and rugged looks did glance at Kassa, and she gave them a coy smile, to which they quickly turned back among themselves, speaking in low voices before letting out a loud guffaw. The only chivalry available came from Erek himself, pulling out one smoothly sanded wooden chair for her.

“You flatter me, Owlet,” she smiled. Another serving boy came soon after the other raced off to fetch Erek’s meal. This one was older, perhaps in his early twenties, and was blushing as he greeted Kassa and asked if she would like to order anything.

Kassa was aware of how she looked. The light of the fire set a brilliant coppery hue across her auburn hair, and flashed in her green eyes. Her robes, the same shade of green, not only hid her well in the woods but was of an exact color to compliment her fine complexion, and though they were loose and comfortable, they fit just enough to show off a slender, etched figure. She was attractive, no doubt, and it had both benefited and cost her.

And sometimes, it amused her.

She settled on a cut of prime rib, a side of rice, and a glass of red wine. A bit pricey, but with the money she had so recently… stumbled upon, she could afford it. The serving boy stammered an estimated time it would take to prepare and rushed off, cheeks still red. Kassa laughed, and the shady men looked up again, leered, and went back to their conversation. She ignored them and turned her eyes back to Erek, who sought to wheedle some more out of her.

“Darling,” she said sweetly, “I travel. For safety, if you must know.” She pointed at him, then at herself. “People like you and me… we’re not trusted anywhere, are we? So we go from place to place, keep up appearances, and move on before we’re… found out. But as for that particular place in those woods…” she shrugged nonchalantly. “I was looking for animals. Do you like animals, Erek?”