Private Tales A Whisper in the Dark

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Dauner

The Supreme Monarch
Character Biography
Link
It was in a small town on the border of Koda that the meeting was to take place. There, in a small office, two men exchanged words as they awaited the arrival of another. The first of the two, a masked man who had introduced himself as Red Shadow, played the role of the contractor. The second, a casually dressed man who had made a name for himself, first in Alliria, and then in the Reach at large. Dauner sat, opposite to Red Shadow, as they exchanged words. Although the setting would see them as contractor and contracted, it was naught but a farce. Dauner, founder and leader of the sovereign order, had set this all up because the order was too busy preparing for the war with Koda, that it had no assassin to spare. As such, he had one of his subordinates, put on a mask, and play the role of the representative of an organization in a distant land. Dauner himself would not reveal his true identity, and was, as far as the mission was concerned, a simple assassin, going by the name Alz.

The mission was simple. Assassination. The target wasn't just anyone, though. It was one of Koda's most powerful nobles. One of the only three dukes within the kingdom. He had a strong military force, and was an ambitious man. It was partly thanks to him that the war with Koda had been pushed forward by so much. However, as much as Dauner was pleased with his bid to push the war, Siegfried was still an enemy. A very proactive one at that. He had set up blockades all around sovereignty castle, in a bid to cut off the order's supply routes, and weaken it, even before the war began. Dauner wouldn't have this. But the council kept telling him he'd have to wait a week at the earliest before he could have assassins dispatched.

That was what brought him to the idea of hiring assassins from outside the order. The assassin Red had contacted, would soon arrive, and the two prepared their act in the interim.

proxy.php
The information came from a reputable fence that sold only the best information to the most desperate. Dahlia operates out of a small store in a secluded byway near a local encampment and mainly deals in artwork and gems. She is someone Riforte has learned to respect, for the other woman has an eye for the best gems, jewelry, paintings, and sculptures that only the best money can buy. Somewhere in Riforte's mind is a dream of owning her own gallery of finery, but until it's realized, she allows herself to live vicariously through Dahlia.

On one stormy night, she visited The Undercurrent because Dahlia put out the word that some dirty work needed to be done. Always happy to add another wealthy man to her repertoire, Riforte took the bait and followed directions. It could be that she barely asks questions and is always ready for a scrap the fence is more than happy to give Riforte the best the underbelly has to offer. Or maybe she hopes the assassin thief will be taken out one day and Dahlia won't have to deal with her anymore.

Whatever the reasons, Riforte is grateful for the opportunity.

Following directions, Riforte made her way to the meeting spot without much problem. Dahlia said the call came from someone named Red on behalf of someone else; as it always goes with these jobs, you never really know who pulls the strings. Honestly, it's not a necessary piece of information for her; they'll pay her once the job is done, and then they'll part ways.

The dark woman entered the meeting place with a slight smirk perched upon her lips. Before sitting next to Red, her golden gaze briefly took in her surroundings. Moving aside the fabric of her heavy red skirt, she sat prim and proper before her audience as any good noble would. It shows that she has at least some proper common manners; more than a few men and women have fallen for her simple charms. Riforte isn't the kind of assassin who leans merely on using her weapons and the shadows.

"Well met," she says, voice cool and smooth.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Dauner
As the woman entered the room, she gained the attention of both Dauner and Red, who both stared at the woman as she got herself a seat and offered a greeting. Red would simply nod, returning the greeting in kind, before getting up and picking up a document from the desk, and handing it to Riforte. Dauner on the other hand, had immediately begun calculating the woman, the moment she walked in. The first thing he'd notice about her, was her beauty. Well, some will argue that that was the first thing he'd always notice about any pretty girl. But he could feel there was something more to her. As a half incubus himself, he could feel a provocative charm about her.

Dauner quickly decided what persona he was going to be using after seeing her. He would go with a slightly lecherous fallen noble. Easily distracted by beauty, but just as skilled with a knife. Well, sort of like the real him, but toned down.

From when Riforte walked into the room, until Red handed her the document, he'd keep his stare on her, as though trying to undress her with his eyes alone. However, he would stop when Red handed her the document. That was his cue to introduce himself.

"Now that we're both here, I believe some introductions are in order. I go by the name Black, but my friends all call me Alz. A pleasure to make your acquaintance" he'd say, nodding in Riforte's direction.

• Love
Reactions: Riforte D'Marcus
proxy.php
Riforte was more than happy to allow the man to gaze upon her, as it was a right to see the woman in all her casual glory. Living in the underbelly of the criminal world made it easy to be whatever you chose, as no one cared about your origins. She sat amongst the men as an ordinary individual who liked to get her hands a bit dirty from time to time; it is the type of person she chose to display. They did not need to know anything else about her. Just another pretty face trying to do what's best for her empty pockets.

From smirk to smile, her lips perked. "It is a pleasure you meet you, Black," she said with a gentle hint of curiosity. "I'm Riforte."

Names have weight to them. They're a type of currency that can be used to get in and out of the more extravagant places or save you from being killed unnecessarily. Her name won't get you in fancy places or really save your hide, so she gave it to him proudly.

Unlike him, she did not trace his form with her eyes. A quick look was all she needed, dragging her sight from his eyes to his mouth and then back up to his hungry gaze. There's enough time in the day to figure him out completely, and she surely isn't going to waste time trying to decipher him when there is a job to be done. For now, they will continue to toe the line of flirtatious glances and tempting stares, two things she's rather well versed in when given the right partner.

"Now, business," she motioned for Red to speak. "I'm interested to hear the tale behind this job."

• Devil
"The pleasure's all mine" Dauner would add, with a nod of acknowledgement. There was little to no expression of discomfort from her with regard to the way he looked upon her. He could already feel that they'd get along just great.

Red Shadow stepped forward to give them a briefing before their mission could commence. "Good day, and thank you two for accepting my invitation. To reintroduce myself, I am Red Shadow, from a darkness that needs not be mentioned. Your target for this mission goes by the name Siegfried Von Grant. A major noble of Koda. He holds much influence over Koda's military and economy, and this poses some trouble for my client. My client needs to get into the Kodan market, but as long as Siegfried still has a hold on it, it will prove impossible for him. That is where you come in. Eliminate Siegfried, so my client can have some peace of mind. He is currently in the capital city of Koda, Ashol, but will soon be marching West to make war with their new enemy to the west. The method and location is up to you. Now, do you have any questions?" he'd finish, giving the floor to the two who sat before him.

Dauner would remain silent, absent of inquiry about the job. Instead, his gaze would once again trail over to Riforte, but this time, rather than a hungry gaze, he'd look rather curious whether she would be able to go on just what Red had said, or if she had any questions that needed asking.

proxy.php
You two, she rolled that piece of information around in her mind before chewing it. So, they are to be a pair in this little event. It caught her a tad off guard, but there would be no immediate complaints from her for having a partner in crime. If she's honest, she appreciates the helping hand as these types of jobs usually require more chefs in the kitchen to get something good cooking.

"Siegfried Von Grant - a perfect name for a moneyed person." What she knows of the rich and famous is they like to show their wealth by using fancy names and big parties. Throwing your money around means nothing if you don't have the name attached to it or at least connections.

Siegfried has the titles to go along with the name. Any person who influences the economy may as well be some kind of god, for they hold the type of power that can move the masses without doing much leg work. That is her minor evaluation; she assumes that Siegfried is intelligent and has used his influence to benefit his name and those beneath it. Hoping for him to be a floundering fish on land would do her no good because even the weakest link has a bit of fight in them, which could cause problems.

"What are Siegfried's known movements?" Riforte flipped through the document with lazy fingers, noting the secret information only those closest to Siegfried would know or his enemies could be privy to. "This secretive stuff is fine and all, but what about the man himself? What do the people know of our sweet Siegfried?"

It occurred to her that a woman with tight pockets and too much time would be helping change Koda's current climate. It amused her so.

"We want to strike in a way that will cause speculation on all sides," she said, lightly tapping the document. "I want to get him so that his enemies will be pointing their fingers at each other, and the common folk can celebrate." The last part of her little speech made her laugh, a pretty little sound that bounced around the room. "I'm no bleeding heart, but I want to ensure the best for our client. They won't be the only person dipping into the market once it's up for grabs. I want to ensure that their ascendency is reasonable."

• Sip
It was not lost on him that her line of questioning was the 'prudent' way to go about accepting any job. After all, in tasks where the slightest mistake could leave you hanging from the hangman's noose, every bit of information was an important asset. Dauner smiled, taking more of an interest in his future partner.

Red began to speak, as he provided an answer to Riforte's question. "Following the invitation of the king, Siegfried is currently in the city of Ashol, in his mansion in the upper city. After his meeting with the king is over, we believe he will proceed to his stronghold of Caer Argon, where he will join up with his army and then march west. Given how tightly his security is, our agents were unable to gather much personal information about him, so it will up to you to investigate any additional information you require. We shall however provide you with the blueprints for his upper city mansion, and Caer Argon" he finished.

"I must admit. I didn't quite picture you as the romantic kind when first I laid eyes on you" Dauner would finally speak. "If Sieg dies" he continued, using his nicknaming habit on Siegfried. "The Sovereign order, which Koda is currently at war with, is most likely to take the blame. As for the remaining nobles, they'll be too busy trying not to be the next to die to care about who holds the market. Did I sum it up all correctly, Mr. Red?" he asked, finally taking his eyes off the sensual woman, and directing them to Red.

"Indeed. And you have no need to worry about other domestic and foreign competitors. My client has already considered that part and will handle it himself. All we are responsible for, is making sure Duke Siegfried is no longer around to impede him"

• Bless
Reactions: Riforte D'Marcus
proxy.php
"That is very disappointing. All this great information, and you've failed the very basics of espionage."

Her words were critical, but her tone was not. They could get close enough to know when and where the man was going and doing, meaning they were close enough to hear the goodies. Men and women gossiped; it kept every day from being just that - every day. Siegfried has his closest compatriots, from the person who helps him dress right down to the man who cares for his horses. Every person is connected; hopefully, this fine group will learn that at another time.

"Mm, gathering additional information won't be hard. We'll just have to be a little creative," the smirk that pressed her lips showed she was all about creativity.

"I like variables,"she said, giving the document one final glance before pushing it away. "They are the spice to life, in my opinion."

Men are simple; that's why she likes them. They think clearly from point A to point B, and whatever happens between them is a moot point. It's why she thought about arguing Black's point of view before setting that urge aside. He is a man who has tasted the very sweetness of power before. She could tell by his attitude that drips with enough self-assurance he wasn't the type to let dying dogs lie. People like him have a plan to shape the world to how they see fit; a shiver of excitement climbed her spine.

Men are so simple; hopefully, that never changes. It would be a devastating blow to an ever-changing world.

"I'm excited to begin this little adventure. Aside from what's already been stated, what else do you expect from me?"

Red felt disturbed by the way Riforte formulated that sentence. The information he presented was all investigated by Dauner himself, and to say their intelligence gathering was subpar, was to indirectly say Dauner sucked at it, and there was more than one loyal subordinate of Dauner's who would have something to say about that. But he refrained from voicing his opinion.

"We desire nothing aside from the mission's completion. Kill the duke, and your payments shall be delivered by way of your contacts. Plunder whatever you want from him or his estate. As long as the mission is done, you are free to do as you wish" he said, picking up his cane and his hat. He put on his hat, as he walked to the door, but stopped after opening it. "Oh, by the way. Try to make it seem like an obvious assassination plot"

With that, he left the room, shutting the door behind him. Dauner then, shifted his gaze onto Riforte, a smirk upon it. He won't utter a word, though. He'll just wait and stare in silence, until she broke that silence.