Private Tales A Ragashi Bar Crawl

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Masika

The Peace Within The Storm
Character Biography
Link
Masika was tipsy. Not drunk! Not yet! On a scale of one to twenty, she was at a decent eleven. The buzz was nice, having her feel warm even though the dessert nights tended to be cold, and causing her to smile at everyone, whether they looked her way or not. Of course, Masika smiled at everyone when she was sober regardless. There was little that could claim the feat of being able to sour Masika’s mood. And hardly anything could upset her when she was drinking.

Dressed in much more common clothes than what she wore for battle, Masika watched others dance in the center of her favorite Beer Houses: Abydos. Not only did they produce the best beer and had a bit of a selection— the darker the better in Masika’s opinion— but they also had plenty of space. There weren’t any sort of private alcoves for lovers to nestle away into, nor was there an upstairs inn. Abydos was open for every eye to see, and half of it was even outside, with fire pits and stone benches about.

Of course, the more one drank, the less they cared about privacy.

Masika had procured herself a seat at the large bar of the beer house and watched with excitement as each of her friends that she had came out with seemed to pair up with a new individual. Abasi had made it clear to her that he found such interactions to be trivial time wasters. And perhaps it was due to his conservatism but he also seemed to frown on it more that Masika participated in late night events because she was a woman. Although more accurately it was because Abasi had realized that Masika, despite all the goodness in her heart, tended to be quite hedonistic.

He was probably rolling over in his grave when she ordered another beer. Her fifth beer. While Masika most definitely could hold her liquor, it’s not like she had any plans on stopping soon. Even with her friends leaning up against pillars to give bedroom eyes to whatever lover they would take for the night. Masika took hold of the large glass of warm beer the moment it was set on the bar and swiftly took large, hearty swigs before setting it down and have a delightful look on her eye.

The night was still young. And while she adored Abydos, why not go ahead and visit all her other favorite bars on top of it? What a good idea, Masika thought to herself cheerfully, the usual crowd is at Abydos anyhow, if I want to mix things up I should go elsewhere! Perhaps a lounge would suffice, especially one with the very pretty dancers in alluring clothing that often had Masika drooling at the mere sight. Or another bar, maybe the one across the street? They had a different sort of live music than Abydos. Abydos was geared more for Masika’s generation while that other bar across the street suited people who were as old as Abasi had been.

Choices. So many choices. But first, Masika must finish her beer! And pay her tab.

Kallach hadn't expected to be met by a writhing mass of warm bodies as he walked in, yet here he was, standing among the half-drunk locals. They were an odd lot, all of them, and many reeked of booze, their breath pervading the dimly lit chamber. He could take it, but only for a short while. He'd go nuts if he stayed in here much longer.

Kallach elbowed his way through the increasingly raucous crowd, displacing those of inferior stature with his enormous bulk.

Many others were unconcerned and had hardly noticed his trespass into their personal space. Kallach was grateful for it in a way. They would have fought back if they had been sober, and he would have had to use magic to zap them.

"Coming through!" he exclaimed confidently. His gentle facial features were a dramatic contrast to the booming, gutteral voice emerging from his throat. He was a big man, yet he had a fair complexion, long lashes, and brilliantly blue, cobalt-colored eyes that were way too boyish for someone his size.

Finally, he made it to the bar's middle and nearly dumped his upper body atop the counter, drawing a puzzled glare from one of the waiters.

"Can I assist you?"

Kallach's face was flushed with bemusement, and his eyes darted from left to right, looking for the source of the voice.

He had been addressed by a woman. She appeared to be in her late forties and was an older gal compared to the rest of her coworkers.

"Oh, ummm...right! I'd like to order a drink."

"Anything specific?"

"Whatever you recommend, ma'am, but nothing too strong, please. It'll upset my stomach."

The woman cocked an eyebrow, lowering her gaze at him, contemplating if she should be serving Kallach at all. In truth, he wasn't much of a heavy drinker, and the evidence of that fact was plastered all over. It wasn't like he was trying to hide it in the first place.

"Ale?" she asked, her voice softening a notch.

"Sure, go ahead."

Kallach reached into the sleeve of his robe, which hung loosely off his strong frame. Retrieving a single silver coin, he placed it on the counter and watched as the waitress sauntered away.

• Wonder
Reactions: Masika
Masika had finished her dark beer, rather greedily as if someone where to take it from her. And good thing she had finished it for not long after she had sent down her empty glass a large man practically slammed himself down onto the bar top. Despite Masika’s modest height and weight, she wasn’t taken aback, even if her glass seemed to vibrate from his impact.

Her ebullient brown eyes moved over to look at who had come to the bar in such a rush— she wasn’t a sly thing and hardly ever hid her curiosity even if she knew it was rude at times— to see such a large man! Oh my! She swore freely in Kaliti. This man was like Sir Valar! Did they come from the same place? Based on his fair skin and his blue eyes Masika had already labeled him as a foreigner. Certainly not from the heart of Amol-Kalit, must have been on the border closer to the Cortosi Coast (although Masika had not a single clue where that could be.)

Listening in to his conversation, Masika blinked in confusion. A drink that wouldn’t hurt his stomach? All alcohol would hurt if one’s stomach was empty! She paused for a moment, holding up a slim finger to her dark lips as she debated if it was even right to offer this foreigner advice that he had not asked for. All the while she kept glancing back at him openly as if she were interested in him.

She was interested in him— just not that way. But the stories he could tell! Surely he would have interesting stories to tell about places Masika had never been or head of or both! She was never good with geography, looking at maps from a aerial view never made sense. She wasn’t a bird and couldn’t fly, how would she navigate while she was on the ground? By memorizing? Ha! Ridiculous. Abasi had already said it was wise to understand one’s short-comings.

Sir!” Masika chirped beside Kallach, poking his rather large bicep that seemed to be the size of her head. “If you don’t want an upset stomach you should eat as well. And drink water between each drink.” She gave the stranger a beaming, white smile full of teeth and genuine amiability.

Kallach

Kallach switched his sight to the second woman, who appeared to be much younger and more lively than the stern waiter.

"Eh?"

She had caught him off guard. Could it be that he hadn't spotted her earlier because he was so engrossed in his own thoughts that she slid through his peripheral vision? That wasn't the case. Kallach caught a few glimpses of her but didn't pay any attention to the unusually cheery lady.

He was a little taken aback now that she was speaking directly to him.

"I'm fine, really. Food or not, strong spirits always upset my stomach. I was never a heavy drinker, ya know? And don't get me started on carbonated stuff. I'll be belching all day from a liter or two of beer, hah hah."

Soon after, the waitress reappeared, offering him a half-liter metal mug. It weighed a lot. Kallach slid his fingers over the handle, the cool metal sucking away at his body heat.

"Is there something wrong with the drink?" she asked, half-heartedly glowing at him.

"No no. Everything is fine. I notice you have the drinks chilled. Impressive."

Kallach gave her a dismissive nod while checking over the cup's contents. The liquid was amber in color, yet there was no ice to be found inside. It sparked his interest even more. Maybe it's magic? Is it possible that they employed magic to chill the drinks? Probably.

He sniffed the liquid. There was a slight tang to it, a mild note of fermentation, both sweet and sour. He detected nothing unusual concerning the brew.

He sipped it slowly, holding the cup with both hands. The outer shell was slick with condensation and Kallach feared having it slip out of his grasp and onto the floor.

"So, uh, I'm greateful for your concern and all. Kallach is my name. What about you?"

Masika

• Wonder
Reactions: Masika
It was often that when Masika spoke to another, they spoke back. Her outgoing, friendly nature often had that effect on others. Of course, there were times when people didn’t want to talk to her, and while Masika was never one to persist in such a way as to bother another person, it only made her value the times when people did choose to speak to her.

And lucky her! Kallach— what an unusual name, but perhaps he would think Masika to be unusual as well— seemed not only happy to answer her, but was the type who would enjoy a conversation. And Masika did enjoy talking very much!

My name is Masika!” The young warrior informed, still smiling the biggest smile in the world. “Have you had Ragashi beer before? It’s not like many others. Or so I have been told.” She continued and then pointed at his large mug. “We sweeten it with dates and honey, which is why it’s a bit thicker and red.” Masika then leaned over closer to Kallach and whispered mischievously. “And in my opinion, it’s not too strong. Rest easy, your stomach should be fine with this!” There was a slight paused as Masika leaned back over to her side, picking up her mug to take a sip, and just as the glass was to reach her lips, she stopped. “I think.” She added and then took a large swig.

Talking about how great Ragashi beer was had gotten her thirsty for she took another and then set down her empty glass.

Kallach. What does your name mean?” Masika asked suddenly, turning her head over to the man who was all means still a stranger but Masika continued to greet him with a warm look as if he were a long-term friend. “And where are you from? I know you’re not from here.” She teased lightly. The waitress from before, who had been quite icy towards Kallach, collected Masika’s empty cup. For a moment, Masika took her attention from Kallach and looked at the waitress, holding up a finger to ask for another beer.

The waitress regarded Masika warmly, whether because Masika was well-known and well-liked or because she didn’t like outsiders was unknown. Either way, it wasn’t long until Masika was holding her beer securely in one hand and gazing excitedly back at Kallach.

Kallach

Kallach raised an eyebrow, and his gaze followed. His sapphire-blue eyes traced Masika side to side, up and down, until he had explored every detail of her look.

She was a lovely woman who was tall for a lady and shapely in the right places. However, she had a childlike appearance to her face. The two of them couldn't have been too old, and Kallach pondered whether their ages were similar.

"My name? Um..." he paused and put a finger to his chin, humming to himself. His father had told him, hadn't he? But it was a long time ago, and Kallach strained to remember.

"Oh, right. It's a word from the Fae language. Some call it sylvan, others faerie, but I prefer the term Ïzä."

"It doesn't have a particular meaning as far as I can tell, or maybe it does."

Masika was perhaps a head or so shorter than Kallach, who was a big man himself with broad shoulders. Most of his musculature was hidden by the baggy robe he was wearing, but not all of it. The little that stood out was more than sufficient to capture the mind.

He further fluffed his clothes by leaning back in his chair. His hairy and pallid upper chest protruded ever so slightly from his body, standing in stark contrast to the floral pattern that surrounded it.

"I'm from Elbion, which can be interpreted as either the city of trade or magic, to answer your second question."

"I'm a sorcerer too, by the way."

Masika