Open Chronicles A New Arrival

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Aegnor Ransiren

Fisherman/Eager Adventurer
Character Biography
Link
Aegnor's boat swayed violently, causing him to fall unto his floor from his bed. He unsteadily stood up.
Stretching, Aegnor yawned. The morning sun shined on his face, causing him to squint. He sat up slowly so the bed didn't creak. The boathouse pitched back and forth slightly, and Aegnor resisted the urge to vomit his last meal. He made his way to his fishing rod and donned his straw hat. It seemed to be a good day for fishing, but then again that was every day in Crossroad Mire. He stifled a yawn and made his way up towards the boat's deck. He climbed up and sat down on his chair. Whistling to himself, he cast his line and waited for a fish to reel in. The waves made the boat rock, and if it weren't for the rope holding it back Aegnor was sure it would've floated away. Aegnor waited and found himself nodding off. Shaking himself he saw an approaching barge. Behind it was another ship, but it wasn't a barge. There seemed to be a multitude of people aboard the vessel, all of different shapes and sizes. He raced to his steering wheel and started to turn the vessel around in preparation of the arriving boat. As he steered his vessel back towards the docks he found himself wondering about the type of people in the approaching boat. What could they be here for, he wondered. What type of strange ingredients will this batch get their hands on? What fortune could one gain in such a place as this? Back home, you would've found anything to your liking immediately, without any pickpockets to bother you, as well.

A bark behind him broke his train of thought. Leela had woken up. Smiling he rolled up his pant leg let her lick his toes. He had found her abandoned one day in the docks and fed her whatever he could catch. She became fond of him, over the years. She hopped up and down, trying to get his attention. ''Down, girl. Don't get too excited just yet.'' He told her. Leela obeyed his command, as all dogs do, and Aegnor continued sailing quietly. His mind was full of thoughts of the ship and its passengers. He hasn't seen any visitors in Crossroad Mire recenty. Why now, all of a sudden?
''Best not to question it, aye Leela?'' Leela barked enthusiastically.
Aegnor arrived at the dock and hurriedly climbed down from his ship and awaited the boat.

((OOC: Finally finished! Sorry it took so long, Namidre Dhendizad. I was just giving my creative juices a bit of a workout with this, plus I had a school test I had to study for. Hope it's worth the wait!))

• Yay
Reactions: Namidre Dhendizad
Namidre Dhendizad, a small woman despite her elven ancestry. Willowy wasn’t an uncommon trait among elves but she was definitely shorter than most, standing at roughly 4’6”, and wrapped in a long, loose, deep hooded cloak to hide her strange coloration, which had caught attention before. Attention she didn’t want. And she had been labeled a witch before, and bounty hunters had been sent after her. She had barely gotten away with the help of one of the hunters, who actually asked questions before attacking.

She was among the people on the barge, and she disembarked while in the middle of the crowd, letting her small frame hide her among the many people there. She had with her her staff, though it was kept under her cloak to avoid attention. She spied the man and his dog, and thought who better to ask for directions than a local. Someone who’d be willing to help her, and get information from.

She walked over, her heart beating quicker as she walked closer, her nervousness and fear of sudden persecution told her to be ready to run at a moments notice. But she tried to hide this, and approached him anyway.

“Um, good day sir. I was hoping you’d be willing to help me sir. Can you point me to the road?”

Aegnor Ransiren

Aegnor's boat swayed violently, causing him to fall unto his floor from his bed. He unsteadily stood up.
Stretching, Aegnor yawned. The morning sun shined on his face, causing him to squint. He sat up slowly so the bed didn't creak. The boathouse pitched back and forth slightly, and Aegnor resisted the urge to vomit his last meal. He made his way to his fishing rod and donned his straw hat. It seemed to be a good day for fishing, but then again that was every day in Crossroad Mire. He stifled a yawn and made his way up towards the boat's deck. He climbed up and sat down on his chair. Whistling to himself, he cast his line and waited for a fish to reel in. The waves made the boat rock, and if it weren't for the rope holding it back Aegnor was sure it would've floated away. Aegnor waited and found himself nodding off. Shaking himself he saw an approaching barge. Behind it was another ship, but it wasn't a barge. There seemed to be a multitude of people aboard the vessel, all of different shapes and sizes. He raced to his steering wheel and started to turn the vessel around in preparation of the arriving boat. As he steered his vessel back towards the docks he found himself wondering about the type of people in the approaching boat. What could they be here for, he wondered. What type of strange ingredients will this batch get their hands on? What fortune could one gain in such a place as this? Back home, you would've found anything to your liking immediately, without any pickpockets to bother you, as well.

A bark behind him broke his train of thought. Leela had woken up. Smiling he rolled up his pant leg let her lick his toes. He had found her abandoned one day in the docks and fed her whatever he could catch. She became fond of him, over the years. She hopped up and down, trying to get his attention. ''Down, girl. Don't get too excited just yet.'' He told her. Leela obeyed his command, as all dogs do, and Aegnor continued sailing quietly. His mind was full of thoughts of the ship and its passengers. He hasn't seen any visitors in Crossroad Mire recenty. Why now, all of a sudden?
''Best not to question it, aye Leela?'' Leela barked enthusiastically.
Aegnor arrived at the dock and hurriedly climbed down from his ship and awaited the boat.

((OOC: Finally finished! Sorry it took so long, Namidre Dhendizad. I was just giving my creative juices a bit of a workout with this, plus I had a school test I had to study for. Hope it's worth the wait!))

(Remember to watch the thread! =] )

The boat had arrived, and Aegnor saw various people walk along the dock. Some were commoners who were most likely here on their masters' orders. Others were of different races. None stood out to him. He's seen all sorts of people in these docks. Kings, queens, servants....

Aegnor gaped at the girl who slowly approached him. An Elf? Here? It wasn't uncommon to meet strange people here, but never in all the time he spent here did he greet an Elf. Leela growled softly until he picked her up and comforted her. He wish someone comforted him.

Hesitantly he bowed deeply. How to respond? Do Elves favor formality? ''Good morning, my Lady. It depends on where you're heading, my Lady. Are you looking for accommodations? There's the roadhouse, but it isn't to everyone's liking.'' He pointed in the wrong direction and stared at his hand incredulously. Quickly he pointed the other way. Realizing he didn't actually know where the roadhouse was, he coughed into his hand. Even after several years he still didn't know where everything was. After pacing for a while, trying to remember but also trying not to embarrass himself in front of the Elf, he stopped. On the verge of tears he knelt in embarrassment. ''Forgive me, my Lady. I fail to remember where the roadhouse is. I am from Alliria, you see. I have only been here for a couple of years at best. Perhaps you never meant to go to the roadhouse, but I only see it fit to direct visitors where they need to go. No harm meant.'' Biting his lip, he stopped talking.
'Why not tell her your entire life story, huh? You embarrassed yourself enough already.'
Silencing the voice in his head, he stared up at the Elf, not caring if he trembled.

• Sip
Reactions: Namidre Dhendizad
Aegnor gaped at the girl who slowly approached him. An Elf? Here? It wasn't uncommon to meet strange people here, but never in all the time he spent here did he greet an Elf. Leela growled softly until he picked her up and comforted her. He wish someone comforted him.

Hesitantly he bowed deeply. How to respond? Do Elves favor formality? ''Good morning, my Lady. It depends on where you're heading, my Lady. Are you looking for accommodations? There's the roadhouse, but it isn't to everyone's liking.'' He pointed in the wrong direction and stared at his hand incredulously. Quickly he pointed the other way. Realizing he didn't actually know where the roadhouse was, he coughed into his hand. Even after several years he still didn't know where everything was. After pacing for a while, trying to remember but also trying not to embarrass himself in front of the Elf, he stopped. On the verge of tears he knelt in embarrassment. ''Forgive me, my Lady. I fail to remember where the roadhouse is. I am from Alliria, you see. I have only been here for a couple of years at best. Perhaps you never meant to go to the roadhouse, but I only see it fit to direct visitors where they need to go. No harm meant.'' Biting his lip, he stopped talking.

She shrunk back just a bit when the dog growled, and relaxed slightly when she stopped. He addressed her as lady? That was new. It made her just a tad uncomfortable, as she’d never been addressed that way before, and she wrapped herself just a bit tighter in her cloak. Then he appeared nervous and basically lost his nerve, from her?! She shook her head and got to her own knees to help him up, “no it’s fine sir. There’s nothing to forgive. Really. And please, I’m noone’s lady. Call me Namidre, or Nami if you’d rather. But accommodations do sound good. Perhaps you know a tavern or inn where I might eat, and perhaps you’d like to join me, it would be good for me to learn more about the local area. even if you don’t know it that well,you certainly know it better than I.”

She, like him, was rather timid it seemed, easily embarrassed and easily frightened, shy and soft spoken. She had no idea how he could tell she was an elf as all of her but her face was covered completely in her cloak, perhaps he saw one of her ears when he looked in her face?

Rubbing sweat from his forehead, Aegnor resisted the urge to breath a sign of relief. He smiled, stroking his beard thoughtfully. He supposed Hagglesnip would've loved a new addition to her quarters, but he had no intention of letting her stay there. Last he saw of Hagglesnip she was stirring something in that pot of hers. Another gruesome oddity, perhaps. No visitor should have to look upon that everyday. Perhaps Emily had a spot in her inn? But then there were the pickpockets...Aegnor was sure she'll be fine. It would be okay.
''So it's settled, then.'' Realizing he had spoken out loud, he faked a cough. ''My friend Emily has an inn near here. She would be happy to accommodate you. I'll walk you there. You can never be to careful around here. Thieves and pickpockets and whatnot.'' He flourished his ripped cloak in the direction of the inn, which was just a short walk from here. He was relieved that he actually got it right this time. ''Follow me, Namidre. Stay behind me. I shall protect you from any who dare touch you. And trust me, there are alot of them.'' As an afterthought he said, ''I would suggest holding Leela. People here distance themselves from her in fear of being bitten, but you're a friend now. She doesn't bite friends, right Leela?'' Leela barked in what Aegnor hoped was agreement. He never could, with Leela. Motioning for the Elf to follow him, he started walking along the docks in the direction of Emily's inn.

Rubbing sweat from his forehead, Aegnor resisted the urge to breath a sign of relief. He smiled, stroking his beard thoughtfully. He supposed Hagglesnip would've loved a new addition to her quarters, but he had no intention of letting her stay there. Last he saw of Hagglesnip she was stirring something in that pot of hers. Another gruesome oddity, perhaps. No visitor should have to look upon that everyday. Perhaps Emily had a spot in her inn? But then there were the pickpockets...Aegnor was sure she'll be fine. It would be okay.
''So it's settled, then.'' Realizing he had spoken out loud, he faked a cough. ''My friend Emily has an inn near here. She would be happy to accommodate you. I'll walk you there. You can never be to careful around here. Thieves and pickpockets and whatnot.'' He flourished his ripped cloak in the direction of the inn, which was just a short walk from here. He was relieved that he actually got it right this time. ''Follow me, Namidre. Stay behind me. I shall protect you from any who dare touch you. And trust me, there are alot of them.'' As an afterthought he said, ''I would suggest holding Leela. People here distance themselves from her in fear of being bitten, but you're a friend now. She doesn't bite friends, right Leela?'' Leela barked in what Aegnor hoped was agreement. He never could, with Leela. Motioning for the Elf to follow him, he started walking along the docks in the direction of Emily's inn.

She nodded. “Thank you good sir. Though I have nothing of any real value for them to take. Even so, your protection is most thoughtful, I offer you profuse thanks.”

She followed him with Leela somewhere behind or beside the man or his elf friend. She looked about as they walked, to take in the surroundings and make sure that she knew where things were for later. She probably wouldn’t stay long, but it was always best to know. “I would inquire after your name good sir, should you be willing to share it.”

Aegnor relaxed a little. ''My name do be Aegnor Ransiren. I do be a fisherman in this here village.'' He said, mocking the way some of the fishermen speak in Crossroad Mire. He chuckled in delight. ''As I said before, I am not from these parts. I am from Alliria. I decided to settle here in my youth after traveling the world. I suppose it was worth it.'' Not wanting to reveal too much of his past, he changed the subject. ''If you don't mind me asking, what business do you plan on attending to here? Just curious, is all.''

Aegnor relaxed a little. ''My name do be Aegnor Ransiren. I do be a fisherman in this here village.'' He said, mocking the way some of the fishermen speak in Crossroad Mire. He chuckled in delight. ''As I said before, I am not from these parts. I am from Alliria. I decided to settle here in my youth after traveling the world. I suppose it was worth it.''

His mockery of the local accent and grammar was amusing and she couldn’t stop a small smile from forcing its way onto her face. “A traveler were you? Perhaps you can give me some advice? I myself have been wandering for a while and I’ve been faced with some trouble, so would you at all be willing to give me some instruction on how to avoid such confrontations?”

''If you don't mind me asking, what business do you plan on attending to here? Just curious, is all.''

“I have no specific business, just looking for a place to find work for a mage. Not much more. I was just passing through on my way to the Empire, I had hoped to find work there.”

''It's best if you ignore confrontation, if necessary. Anyone can decide to slit your throat, given the chance.''
In Aegnor's experiences, he had confronted thieves disguised as beggars and the like. ''Once, in a pub, I was attacked by a group of young princes for staring at them for too long. I was never fond of the noble blood.'' He took lowered the part of the cloak covering his head. He pointed to a small but recognizable bump. ''I got this thanks to a run-in with some Mire ruffians. It's fine, though. It doesn't hurt as much.'' He placed the cloak above his head aagain. ''So...job-hunting, huh? You won't find many work for mages here, I'm afraid. The people of Crossroad Mire have a certain...lukewarmness towards magicians. But you might as well enjoy your time here, I suppose.''

''It's best if you ignore confrontation, if necessary. Anyone can decide to slit your throat, given the chance.''
In Aegnor's experiences, he had confronted thieves disguised as beggars and the like. ''Once, in a pub, I was attacked by a group of young princes for staring at them for too long. I was never fond of the noble blood.'' He took lowered the part of the cloak covering his head. He pointed to a small but recognizable bump. ''I got this thanks to a run-in with some Mire ruffians. It's fine, though. It doesn't hurt as much.''

She listened as he explained the basics of surviving the world. She thought for a moment. “If you ignore them, won’t they attack you anyway?”

“I’m sorry to hear that your life was so hard. It’s good that you’re well, but still I’m sorry.”

''So...job-hunting, huh? You won't find many work for mages here, I'm afraid. The people of Crossroad Mire have a certain...lukewarmness towards magicians. But you might as well enjoy your time here, I suppose.''

“I was going to head for the Empire of Amol-Kalit and look for work there. But I do intend to enjoy my stay, however short it may be.”

''Some will, sure, but others will. At least, in my experiences.'' After a moment of silence he said: ''No need to feel sorry. That time is long gone now.'' He laughed awkwardly. ''i sincerely hope you enjoy your stay here. It may not seem like much, but at least it's something.'' He continued walking quietly, deep in thought.

''Some will, sure, but others will. At least, in my experiences.'' After a moment of silence he said: ''No need to feel sorry. That time is long gone now.'' He laughed awkwardly. ''i sincerely hope you enjoy your stay here. It may not seem like much, but at least it's something.'' He continued walking quietly, deep in thought.

“It’s delightful.” She said reassuringly. She walked calmly behind him looking around at the quaint little town. She was glad but nervous to be there.

Aegnor smiled happily. Soon Emily's inn loomed in front of them. Standing in front of it, he looked at Namidre. ''Here we are! I'll introduce you to Emily, if she's here.'' He stepped inside and looked around.

There were a lot of people inside the inn. It was a busy day, it seemed. Aegnor immediately saw Emily, who smiled warmly at him. ''Ah, if it isn't Aegnor. How are you today, Master Fisherman?'' Aegnor grinned toothily. ''I'm just fine today, Mistress Emily. I brought in a friend.'' He motioned at Namidre to step inside. ''She's looking for a place to sleep for the duration of her visit here.'' Emily nodded. ''Any friend of yours is a friend of mine. Where is she, then?''

Aegnor smiled happily. Soon Emily's inn loomed in front of them. Standing in front of it, he looked at Namidre. ''Here we are! I'll introduce you to Emily, if she's here.'' He stepped inside and looked around.

She nodded in acknowledgment and followed him in. “I look forward to meeting her.”

There were a lot of people inside the inn. It was a busy day, it seemed. Aegnor immediately saw Emily, who smiled warmly at him. ''Ah, if it isn't Aegnor. How are you today, Master Fisherman?'' Aegnor grinned toothily. ''I'm just fine today, Mistress Emily. I brought in a friend.'' He motioned at Namidre to step inside. ''She's looking for a place to sleep for the duration of her visit here.'' Emily nodded. ''Any friend of yours is a friend of mine. Where is she, then?''

Namidre stepped around to the side of her guide. And she smiled at the woman named Emily. “Hello Miss Emily. Or would you prefer Mistress? I’m sorry, I’m not too well accustomed to local mannerisms.”

Emily smiled warmly. ''Call me anything you want to, dearie.'' She said. Putting an arm on her hip, she scrutinized Namidre. ''Any luggage I can bring up to your room?''

''Ah, that'll do, then. Your room will be the one near the stairs.'' Emily replied, pointing at the stairs. ''Hope you enjoy your stay!'' She said as she walked away. Just the two of them again. Aegnor smiled warmly. ''Allow me to escort you to your room, Namidre. It's the least I can do.''

''Ah, that'll do, then. Your room will be the one near the stairs.'' Emily replied, pointing at the stairs. ''Hope you enjoy your stay!'' She said as she walked away. Just the two of them again. Aegnor smiled warmly. ''Allow me to escort you to your room, Namidre. It's the least I can do.''

“Thank you very much Mistress Emily.” She said pulling out a small pouch. “How much?”

She smiled at Aegnor and said, “that would be lovely, thank you.”

Emily turned to face Namidre. Before she could speak, Aegnor stepped in her line of vision and said ''You know, it's a common fact that friends of mine stay here for free. Isn't that right, Emily? Just like John.'' Confused only for a little while, she realized who he meant. ''Ah, yes. John. How is he these days, Aegnor?'' She asked. ''As good as gold, Mistress Emily.'' Nodding, Emily turned to leave. ''Hop along now, you two. You both look like you could use some rest.

Laughing, Aegnor grinned. ''I like to help people whenever I can, and that includes letting them stay in an inn for free.''

He nodded and made his way outside. "I guess I'll see you around then." He said as he closed the door behind him.