A tale to end in a frown.
Lacking any humor or wit.
Yet another tumbles down.
The squirrels lose it.
Up it sprouts and grows,
Till it is a mighty oak.
So this tale goes.
Fading slowly as smoke.

Quacey had been finding himself spending more time roaming about the area near his home. Not from a need to explore nor a search for natural beauty. Those things were already parts of his life. This was about training himself in a new way. To simulate his time spent traveling. A discovery of new training locations and a lack of a consistent one while on the road. He would go from grove to grove. Clearing to clearing. A different spot every time he trained. A means to keep himself sharp and to keep from growing comfortable or familiar with his routine.

An odd thought that got him to chuckle to himself at the realization of the hypocrisy of it. The changing of locations itself was a constant, a comfort, and a familiarity of routine.

This day he was jogging across the rough terrain of the Spine. Between trees, shrubs, and stones the footing was never flat nor safe. It was another way to keep himself sharp. Not only did he need to maintain a speed but he had to keep aware of his surroundings and footing. He also had to adjust to the uneven steps and shifting elevations. It would be akin to someone running through a stair filled city full of ground litter. Not a location he personally would choose to ever stay long in let alone train there regularly. Especially seeing as he had gone barefoot for this job as well as shirtless to avoid getting his clothes too drenched in sweat. Laundry took far too much time and effort. He would rather save himself the trouble if he could.

But his run came to an end fairly quickly. He found himself back into the clearing he had started in. His clothes and other belongings were still in their place he had left them. The fae slowed himself until he was as a walk and went over to his things. He bent down and picked up his water skin. It was pressed to his lips. His thirst was great after all the movement. Next he would be moving onto his weapon practice. Today he had brought two. A spear and his longsword. Perhaps it would have been best to not constantly be using his sword and spread out which weapons he used more just to keep in practice, but he had a fondness for it. It was the weapon of a knight after all and he might as well get use to swinging the symbol of his role around.

Shirtless, bootless, and with a waterskin being held up high pressed against his lips was how anyone who approached would find him right now.

Astrid Bielke

Astrid had left her home in Autumn, escaping her brother and the Sluagh. She needed time on her own, away from the oppressive anger of the shucks. Jago in particular, he was the only thing that struck fear into her heart. That fear wasn't for her, it was for her brother. He was Jago's favorite chew toy, even though she did her best to step in when she could. Still, being a punching bag lost its appeal quickly, she wanted to be able to do something about it. So, she told her brother she had a mission, when in reality she wanted to find a spot to practice her fighting in peace and solitude.

So, to the Spine she went. It was unlikely she would be bothered here by fae or Hound alike. She had shifted to her hound form, and was making her way deep into the wilderness. It was quiet, peaceful. As a being of light, she was enjoying her time here. The sun filtered through the trees, water could be heard in the distance. It was perfect. She trotted, her paws taking her far quickly.

She came upon a clearing, pausing at the edge of it. Still, the sun and the grass called to her. She stepped forth, and began to trot through the grass, delicate paws sinking into the earth. She stopped, quickly realizing she was not alone at all. The hair on her neck rose, and she stood defensively. There was a man here, no a fae. She somewhat recognized him from the Coronation. He hadn't seen her yet, and she did not know what kind of person he was. She was already a quarter of the way through the clearing, maybe she still had time to disappear.

Quacey

• Sip
Reactions: Quacey
The water skin did not last long. The contents transferred quickly from it into his belly. The fae put it with his other belongings and got ready for the next activity in his training now that his jog was complete and his body warmed up for more vigorous actions. He picked up both his weapons then went out into the clearing.

Part of the way out he stuck the spear, tip first, into the soil so it could free stand. Then he got some distance from it. His focus was going to be more on the spear today. He just needed to get through his basic guards and motions with his longsword so he never got rusty with it.

It was during the middle of these that he felt the vibrations of steps enter his awareness. Four paws. An animal. No.... Their pattern was off to be a beast. There was a more sentient mind behind them. A magical beast or a kind of fae he imagined. A certain other fae had proven his kind could and would stumble upon him as he trained near his home.

Instead of breaking his motions he waited to see how this newcomer reacted. The sensation of four paws never changed, but it seemed they had finally noticed him as well. Unlike his previous troublemaker this one stopped to observe him. Clearly they had no plans to engage him and issue a challenge for a duel with a complete stranger. The hesitation made it more likely they would run off.

Quacey decided to say something.

"Come out. I am aware of your presence. Declare yourself if you are friendly and we can speak. If you are aggressive I advise you not be. You may start a fight but I will end it. That I can promise you."

His tone was not aggressive nor hostile nor even stern. It was simply matter of fact. He never did turn to look in their directions or show any signs of such. He just continued on with his routine as he waited for them to make their choice. Events were now in their hands to shape. He just prayed they made a wise choice.

Astrid Bielke

Astrid's ears perked forward as she observed the fae. She was curious, but wary. She had turned to slink off when his voice reached her ears. She froze, her head turning back to face him. Well, even if he lied, she was more quick than any fae, she could always flee.

Her paws carried her quickly to where he seemed to be training. She stopped and sat about ten feet from him and tilted her head with curiosity. It got the best of her, and she changed back into fae form with a smoothness they all possessed.

She studied him carefully. He was shoeless, shirtless, and dripping from exception. A formidable man indeed. "I'm friendly. I would never dream of attacking one such as you."

Quacey

• Sip
"Friendliness is wise."

The one who had appeared before Quacey was a fellow fae. So many of them of late greeting him out here. Were so many lost or was it just time for guests? She was a cwn annwn as it turned out. A petite, silver haired one at that. Lovely. She looked to be the kind that noble duanann would keep as a pet. Was she a runaway in need of aid? That would explain how she found her way to him.

He decided to focus on her. See if she was indeed lost or not.

Regardless of the results he would continue on. Friendliness for friendliness.

"You may call me Quacey. Whom do I have the honor and pleasure to meet this day?"

A slight bow was given to her. Certainly he was the one in a higher social position between them. He was a Lord even if he did not act like it all that much. And she a cwn annwn. Her kind tended to be looked down upon and ignored. Replaceable pets easy to discard on a whim. He was of no such mindset, but it was always important to keep in mind how she might feel.

"What brings you here Miss?"

Astrid Bielke

Astrid wasn't so much lost, as she was on a mission. She wanted to prove herself as formidable. She was treated like scum by the shucks, and she wanted to show them she wasn't a scared little puppy. She wanted them to take a second thought before going after her. She also had her brother to defend. Cas needed her, and she wasn't strong enough to keep him safe. She needed to keep him safe, life without her big brother would not be the same.

She pondered him for a moment as he spoke. "Quacey, nice to finally meet you. I'm Astrid. I saw you at the Spring King's coronation." He bowed to her, and she returned with her own. It wasn't something observed in cwn and shuck behavior, but she did honor the duannan as Midir's subject. He was being rather polite to her, and she appreciated it. She was used to the treatment of Jago, and even thinking of him made her physically flinch.

"I was seeking out a place to train, I apologize if these are your lands. I can leave, I don't mean to trespass." She glanced at the weapons in his possession and took a step back. He said he would be friendly, and fae didn't lie. However, he never said how long that friendliness would last. He could skewer her alive if he wished.

Quacey

• Bless
The way she eyed his weapons made it clear where her feelings fell. He could understand it. An armed individual, even if declaring to be friendly, could still prove to be dangerous. Fae may not lie but they also didn't always tell the truth. Half truths and unspoken words. He could easily change his mind on her and his original words to her would be no less true than when he said them after all.

But Quacey wouldn't do that to her. He just needed to prove it to her.

"Stay. If you seek a place to train, why not join me? I just finished warming up and was about to begin my training in earnest. Company would make it all the more pleasant a time."

He offered her a smile as he slide his longsword into its sheathe. Then he walked over and grabbed the shaft of his spear. He carried it over towards Astrid. He looked her over and tried to get an idea of what weapons she had on her, if any, and what kind of fighting style she possessed. No point in her training if all she learned was skills she would never need to use.

"Tell me, Astrid, what kind of training were you going to do this day? I might be able to help."

Astrid Bielke