Completed A Mothers Pride

TTamark

Steve Will's son
Character Biography
Link
Steve walked along the hallways with his entourage, puzzling over what Sathirena could have called him for. H-Had he forgotten an important date? Did he forget her birthday, oh, or perhaps her resurrection day? Hmmm now that he really thought about it he didn't really know either. Also shouldn't someone have told him if such an important date had passed by. Still just to be safe he asked Gertrude the gerbil to take off her special birthday hat just incase it would offend. Luckily he had been summoned to Sathirena instead of her coming to him, he had no idea how he would have been able to hide the decorations in time.

Steve knocked upon the large doors to announce his presence, while the guards had already began to open them. Steve walked right on in with a smile to warm these icy halls.

"Sathirena I heard you requested me, what brings me before your beauty on such a fine day?"

Sathirena

• Cthuulove
Reactions: Sathirena
The massive aviary tower upon Steve's entrance was empty. The large roosts largely lay bare of any ghost, flesh or bone flyer, only a single bony owlet perched nearby the gate that led to the rest of the Eternum's fortified complex.
»Hoo-hoo-hoo, the mistress will be here soon, to the perch you should go, to the perch you should go. Not here she is not yet, not yet.«

Though something made a loud noise just outside the much larger gate as if a thousand people jumped at once.
»Hoo-hoo, I think she is here, she is here. «
The guards left to open the much smaller door embedded in the larger gate for Steve, and through it, a massive pile of bones was being rummaged through by the avians and other chimeric or mammalian flyers.

Recently dropped off, they were a mess, and to their best intelligence, slowly, individual skeletons started to form via not so careful sorting.
In due time, the shapes of dragons would soon.

»Steve, « the ghastly presence of Sathirena hollered at him across the platform. »What excellent timing, I have a favour of you to ask.«

Steve looked at Sathirena, then the bones, then the owl, then back at Sathirena, owl, Sathirena, owl, Gertrude, bones, owl, Sathirena, bones, Sathirena, bones, Sathirena, owl, bones, Sathirena.

"I mean, if you want me to put the bones into the owl I have to warn you he is a little small, I can likely fit one, or two max."
He hollered back.

Steve then leaned down to Gertrude assuring her she could likely put her birthday hat back on.

Steve closed the distance between them so that they could speak in a more inside holler, big smiles all the way.

"So what can I do for you?"

• Yay
»I ask of you, Steve, to bring back the souls of my children, have them inhabit their bodies once more... « Her ghastly hand beckoned to come even closer, while she slowly levitated towards him.

»In the spine, I saw many dragons perish before their time, some of them mine, now look at them.«
She skeletons have barely been assembled, most likely incorrectly as well. And it was questionable just how many of those skeletons were indeed her offspring's.
She might have just picked the site of the incident bare of any bone.

Except for her own remains, which have mysteriously vanished.

Steve stood there looking at the bones for a long time.

"I will tell you right now that my dealings mostly have consisted of conversion to undeath from life. This is of course because a dead man can not give his consent to undergo such a process, which matters because I believe undeath should be the next step to life, not slaves, or tools for eternity. Not all share this world view however, and I would not want to force my beliefs on anyone else. As they are your children, however, I do believe you have the right as their guardian to give consent in their place.

Now, with the appropriate preparation I can likely wrestle their souls free from the gods, but I can not guarantee that when they come back all of them will come back, or they will be as you remember them. Knowing this do you still wish for me to try?"

Steve watched Sathirena carefully for her response.

• Yay
»Would you care if you knew their death was untimely? We're only restoring what was taken from them prematurely,« Sathirena moved around the skeletons, which continued to form more recognisable shapes.
Some appeared as far older dragons, some even younger. Only some two to three would have actually been her children.

»What would you need of me, to help you with this? «

• Yay
Reactions: TTamark
Luckily for Sathirena Steve did not know a ton about dragons, so the lack of chances that they were her children went over his head. Steve thought about her offer for help for a moment,

"I believe all I required was your consent. It is not too different to what I am used to. The main thing that makes this different than what I am used to is the distance of the soul. Rather than pulling the soul from its body, I will be pulling it from the afterlife. So to make up for the difference I will need energy to make up for the distance. So the question becomes: How far away is the afterlife?

To be on the safe side I will have one pot of stew for each set of bones, and then one extra for each of the steps: reaching through the bones, dragging them back, and binding them to their bones. That way I can drag their souls right back into their bones, and as long as their bones are here they will be brought back. If you think you can help any part of the process feel free, even helping to bring the potato stew is enough."

• Yay
»Then I have given it to you tenfold, « confirmed the dragoness-wraith.
Though in her current form, the acquisition of the potatoes would be slow and tedious.
But a single look of the fliers, some still gasping from the trip was all they needed to know.
Rolling their eyes and heads, some of the flyers reluctantly took to the sky to fetch the potatoes at the very opposite end of the sanctuary; what a boring flight it'll be, at least it's not going back n forth to the spine!
The rest of the fliers departed back to the aviary where they settled down to rest and meditate.

»My body is a reserve of power unmatched, if it takes forever to reach afterlife, I can reach it. «

• Dab
Steve was shocked by Sathirena's words. So he laid his hand on her firmly, but compassionately,

"I will not shorten your life to bring them back, I will find another way. I understand that this is extremely important to you, and we will do this, but we will do so the right way, and I know we can do it without having to sacrifice anyone. When I begin I will no longer be aware of my surroundings, but little warning: stay away from the stew that will cover the floor."

As Steve finished his words the pots of stew, and his assistants showed up. After some direction the ritual began. Steve's helpers carried the pots to where they would go: One poured on each body, and five placed in a pattern around the outside to provide the extra energy, and act as conduits for the ritual.

As the ritual began each pot was poured on top of each bundle of bones the stew flowed around covering the floors and the assistants, even those standing next to the five pots on the outside. In the middle of the ritual, where Steve knelt with his arms outstretched, the stew circled around, but did not enter as if blocked by some invisible force.

The first pot on the outside was emptied. Steve located all the souls that the bones belonged to. He lowered his hands into the stew. The second pot was emptied. Tendrils of pale blue light snaked through thestew to where the bones laid and as they reached the bones they began to glow as Steve had connected his reach to each of them.

The third and fourth were emptied in quick succession. As soon as the third was emptied the tendrils reached up through the bones before shooting through the air back over Steve's head where they spun together and intertwined before shooting of in random directions, but as they did so their ends also disappeared as they ripped through reality. The magic tendrils flowed ever inwards disappearing into those voids. The energy in the stew began to run out, and then the real magic began.

Suddenly the assistants who had poured the stew fell to their knees, they grasped at various parts of their bodies, as if every part of them had suddenly stopped working at once. Some grasped their hearts hoping to get it to beat once more, others grasped their throats as if it would help them have even one more breath. one grasped his head as he felt his very brain dying. Their bodies fell into the stew before becoming just another part of it as they dissolved. After their bodies were gone their souls were next, to those with the skills to see such things the glowing balls of light that were their souls that hung in the air without their bodies were then dragged to the ground, the stew bubbled and boiled where it touched them. It looked almost like a person flailing as they tried to remain above water. Slowly the shine began to fade from them. All the while the tendrils that reached into the void shone with a previously unseen strength and lustre. Now the magic that flowed through the sky radiated power, so much that the stew rippled away from it in waves.

Suddenly the tendrils finally stopped flowing in, and just as suddenly as they stopped they reversed direction. They began to flow backwards. The air around the room was thrown into turmoil as their seemed to be a great infinite vacuum attempting to suck anything it could, even light, in though any gap the tendrils left, while the tendrils as they came in had an opposite force pushing everything it could away from where they came demanding the space to be their own. Soon a balanced pattern began to form where the tendrils would do a great pull pushing everything back, before a gap would for that would then pull before the tenrdil would reabsorb its slack thickening itself again, and filling that gap. It was almost like a heart beat.

At long last the light of the souls came through the void, unexpectedly at the moment before they passed through there seemed to have also been a hand that had been pulling them away from the hole, but as soon as they came though the hand was gone. The tendrils pulled the souls back into the bones that belonged to them wherever they were. Some of Steve's animals that had simply watched from a safe location walked through the stew and pushed over the last cauldron of stew. With that each set of bones erupted in dragon's breath of each dragon that was given unlife once more.

Steve fell back finished, and exhausted, before grabbing his right ankle, as he suddenly felt a burning sensation.

"AAARG, Well? It's finished. AAAHHH, where are the chefs? I would have thought they would have liked to see what their hard work brought."

Steve nursed his foot.

• Cthuulove
The process was indeed long, from the stew to the ritual itself.
Fliers moved a respectable distance backwards, away from the ritual place, at least hose who wished to watch. Most had cleared the balcony to leave for the roost and instead watch from its many windows and doors.

A resurrected dragon was an entirely different beast from the greater abominable flyers who were made to serve the Eternum.
Greedy, hungry, territorial dragons were an entirely different thing.
As the ritual began, Sathirena retreated to a railing and sat atop it, watching intently as the ritual began.
Still displeased for Steve had not tapped onto her well of might, she now only wished the ritual worked.

Two dragon heads rose, and Sathirena raised her hope. Yet the skelet joined by its ribcage. Surely the two would untangle each other in due time? A little bit of pulling and tugging between the two soon came to the realization that they were one.
A third that rose seemingly only stood still, silently staring at steve as if it were a newborn calf.
The rest seemed less disturbed, but they were quiet, perhaps confused?

How can one be sure if they are truly themselves? Sathirena wondered.
»They gave their lives to the soup, « The dragoness admitted before changing the topic. »How do we know they are... «

• Dab
"Oh, they went back to make more soup because they dedicated their life to their craft... I'm proud of them. Some people go their whole lives without finding something worth dedicating their life to.

How do we know they are them? Well by going through the bones it should have been similar to their bodies pulling them back, so it should be right. To be honest though the only real way is to talk to them, that is unless you could recognize their soul at a glance. Anyways the best I can say is that if the body has their bones, they should have some of their soul in that body."

Steve slapped a bone,

"These bad boys can hold so many souls in them."

As they talked Steve's animals began consuming the stew that remained on the floor.

• Cthuulove
If Steve were right, then she should approach them.
Finishing his discourse, Sathirena nodded before approaching her spawn. The first one, no this was not right. It was a dragon of different kin. He gazed at her downward with a certain level of unknowingness.

Oh, how small she felt. A mighty dragon, among the greatest in Eretejva. Only her mate, the great dragon of the west surpassed her.
Some of these dragons now, yes, they looked like adults, others, children. Yes, those.
Sathirena moved towards them, taking one of their empty-eyed skulls between her ghastly arms.

Did she feel anything?

Yes, the magical link, it was there... But do they speak? No.
Their souls were too long in the realm of others to be fully themselves.

»Thank you Steve, « the dragoness huffed out solemnly.
This was better than nothing, at least.

Steve bowed before turning, and leaving Sathirena to deal with her kin. It would likely be for the best if he left such matters to her. He hung around outside and a bit away from the room while he waited for his creatures to finish cleaning the floors, and just in case he was needed. After his friends had gathered he'd head back to his chambers.

• Cthuulove