Quest A Most Peculiar Posting

Organization specific roleplay for governments, guilds, adventure groups, or anything similar

Jonathan Burr

The Fireworks Master
Character Biography
Link
“Mayor!”

Emelia Bram’a hardened gray eyes looked up from her paperwork, eyeing a nervous-looking assistant that had burst through the double doors of the Mayoral Office. Normally no one would dare do such a thing; Emelia was not known for her sense of patience or mercy. That alone told her something dire had happened.

Gods, not now.

Volta wasn’t a city ruled by kings. In fact, it’s very motto was ‘No Gods or Kings, Only Knowledge’, painted in large friendly letters above the glass seal of Volta in her office. Consequently it went through election cycles to determine who would be ruling it. The mayor was elected by popular vote, which was then scrutinized by the Electroalchemist’s Guild to make sure the people had chosen someone intelligent who would serve Volta well.

Emelia Bram had but one opponent this cycle. Every five years she found herself defending her position, and for the past thirty she had struck down every opponent through Guild or vote victory. Bad news this late in the cycle wasn’t a death sentence but it severely cramped the easy victory she’d arranged for.

“I apologize Mayor Bram. I came as soon as the guards confirmed it.” The breathless assistant bowed in contrition. “Joss Scalero is dead!”

Emelia stared at him. Her opponent? Dead? “How?” She demanded. “And does anyone else know?”

“Stabbed through the eye. He’d just finished a rally near the Office of Conductivity, and was headed back to his home in Salt Heights. The guards found him in an alleyway just behind the glass blower there, Breath of Fire. It was a steel knife, Mayor. It’s a miracle the entire city didn’t go up in flames!”

“Breath of Fire is protected on all sides by five different lightning rods, since it holds a rather large kiln. I’m betting the lightning was diverted there instead of the blade, leaving the body unscathed.” Emelia pursed her lips. “And what is the Mynah posting?”

The name of Volta’s largest news publisher made the assistant cringe. Emelia’s jaw tightened. Nothing good then.

“They’ve implicated you, Mayor.” It was practically a whisper for mercy.

Emelia stood up sharply. “Get Floral Wishes to send their finest bouquets to Mrs. Scalero, and inform her if she needs anything Volta is here to assist her. Do it in broad daylight at the front door of the Scalero home. I want her neighbors interviewed; if she started these rumors we have to head them off. Have my office pen as many notices as they can. Pull all of my scribes off speechwriting if you have to. I want a notice to go out to all of Arethil. I am not to be known as the woman who murdered her opponent.”

The assistant bowed. “Of course, Mayor. What about the guards investigating the murder?” He asked.

“That’s what the notice is for. I control the guard, I can just as easily be accused of making this slipshort. The notice to go out to all major cities will read thusly;” she took in a deep breath and clasped her hands behind her back.

Within three days, it was done. Notices on the finest of rag paper that Volta could supply, emblazoned with the lightning bolt seal on a tiny button of glass pressed into the paper. Gold leaf proclaimed the need for investigators, in flowing script.

Calling all investigators of wit and swift mind!

Mayor Emelia Anne Bram of the City of Volta cordially invites you to aid in the solution of a foul plot!

Mayor Bram’s election opponent, the honorable Joss Scalero, was struck down by a fiend in Arethil’s safest city! Being of a stern dedication, Joss Scalero had only wise visions for Volta’s future and his loss is sorely felt.

The reward of 15,000 gold pieces will be offered to the man, woman or creature who brings the murderer to Emelia Bram, dead or alive, with proof of his deeds!

Report to the Volta Office of Conductivity with this notice in hand, and the Mayor will contact you directly.

Signed,
Mayor Emelia Anne Bram,
Protector of Volta,
Co-Chair of the University of Volta,
Proud Matriarch of the Electroalchemist’s Guild

OOC: Please respond to this post with a post of your character reading the posting. Once we have enough people, I’ll make another thread to begin the quest.

Kiros sat at the table, brew in hand amidst the crowded Monster Hunter's lounge. A large crew had just come back from a well paying job, and their victory and the flowing beer resulting from their pay placed spirits high. While happy for their financial downfall, all the activity was a bit of a disappointment for Kiros whoa preferred the more quiet moments. But here there was beer to be had, and even with the noise and bustle of the crowded mess hall, having a beer in hand was far more relaxing than doing without. Relaxation, however, would soon be interrupted by a random query from one of his peers.

“Hey-Hey Kiros. What’s an eh-ih...en, wehs, tuh, ih...”

“Hand me the text, I can read it-” Kiros politely interrupted him, although Jacob hardly took the offer as benign.

“....I can read too! I just...don’t know big words, that’s all.” He protested, wearing an offended face at the accusation. The man next to him set down his pint at the words, looking at Jacob with incredulity before he spoke up

“Since when can you read, Remus? You’re as illiterate as I am!”

“I’m nowhere near as dumb as you, Jacob.”

“Since when have you gained smarts? Certainly not on last-”

“You mean ‘Investigator?” Kiros asked, just in time to interrupt Jacob and prevent what could have become a brawl between the two.

“Yeah! See? So they’re looking for instigators-”

Investigators.Kiros politely corrected him.

“...Look Kiros you gotta work on your Common, you’re still not pronouncing it right buddy. It’s Ins-tuh-gat-”

Investigator is a word, stupid!” Jacob chimed in again.

“Oh yeah? Then what’s it mean?”

“They solve crimes and get clues and such.”

“Oh, so they’re not... Looking for guys to start fights and stuff?”

“...No! Gods! How do you even get these ideas Remus....”

“Well, I could solve crimes!” Remus loudly declared, causing Kiros to settle his head into his hand.

And they don’t stop!

“Well I know I read about fifteen thousand gold in there! Kiros buddy, you and I; we can split the funds!” Remus offered, as if the opportunity to work with him was one Kiros (or anyone for that matter) would relish. It very much wasn't.

“I do not think so...”

“You don't even know what you're investigating!”

“...I read the paper, didn't I? I know what the crime is.” Remus lied, in failed effort to save face in front of company that really couldn't care if he was literate or not.

“But uh, Kiros doesn't. If you could start reading and getting yourself up to date there.” He asked of Kiros, who was already looking upon the words on the text when Remus broke his attention from it.

“I was reading actually, you interrupted me...”

“Then how come I didn't hear you reading?”

Kiros sighed in frustration, but ultimately decided to humour Remus and read the paper aloud. This had gone on long enough he thought; the last thing he needed was to argue further with the fool.

Calling all investigators of wit and swift mind! Kiros began, before necessarily pausing at the boisterous laughter bellowed out by Jacob in response:

“Oh Remus! Just perfect for you! Hahahaha!”

“Shut up, he's reading!” Remus protested, to no effect. Once Jacob had composed himself, Kiros would continue.

“Mayor Emelia Anne Bram of the City of Volta cordially invites you to aid in the solution of a foul plot!

Mayor Bram’s election opponent, the honourable Joss Scalero, was struck down by a fiend in Arethil’s safest city! Being of a stern dedication, Joss Scalero had only wise visions for Volta’s future and his loss is sorely felt.

The reward of 15,000 gold pieces-

“See?” Remus interrupted him, turning about to Jacob as if he gave a care before he caught onto Kiros' annoyed, leering gaze.

“Sorry Kiros. Please continue - I mean, I'll let you read.” He apologized, and Kiros continued on.

...Will be offered to the man, woman or creature who brings the murderer to Emelia Bram, dead or alive, with proof of his deeds!

Report to the Volta Office of Conductivity with this notice in hand, and
upon completion of a written and mathematical test, you may join our team of investigators!”
Kiros read aloud, wildly deviating from what was actually written on the paper. But the disappointed grimace on the face of Remus told the priest his ruse had done it's work. Remus himself began to fidget, his former interest in the job now lost.

“Well I mean. If I knew it was all the way out in Volta.”

“Hah! Not even for fifteen thousand gold though? Oh go get your money you genius!” Jacob taunted him admist his own amused laughter.

“Well I got stuff to do and all. Besides, I'm already getting a thousand from Kiros for finding the-”

“What?” Kiros asked rhetorically in astonishment, but Jacob would interrupt again before Remus could give reply.

“Gods, you should pay him for putting up with and reading for you!”

“I can read!! But... Kiros is nice! And he's much more polite than you! He has manners, he'll totally pay the finder's fee and-”

“No.”

Remus's face contorted into an expression of ire, and he promply reached out to try to snatch the paper back out of Kiros' hands.

“Give it back then you asshole!” he shouted out, finally getting a purchase of the paper and tearing it to bits in his effort to remove it from Kiros' hands. Not that it mattered; stolen or destroyed, it made no difference to Remus. He was just happy Kiros didn't have it, and he wore a smug grin at his efforts.

One that would last only a moment, melting into disappointment again as a crier burst through the door with a stack of paper in hand.

“Hear ye! The city of Volta is seeking wise and skilled investigators! Murder is afoot, and a bounty of fifteen thousand gold has been set aside to the sleuth who can prove the crime the and capture the culprit!” The entire room turned in attention as the man spoke, but most of it began to wane soon after once the hunters caught on that this was not a task to be won by sword. All went back to their business, with no one in the room taking interest in the offered quest.

With the exception of one.

“Yes, I would like a copy please.”

Last edited:
Kara read the posting from Volta. It hung from a job posting board used in one part of the Elbion outskirts – specifically one of the parts still at ground level. Many copies of the same message could be seen. Upon seeing the posting, Kara checked the date on the job board.

Then, Kara’s eyes looked to her sword. Thick leather formed the scabbard and grip. The pommel and guard took the shape of exposed metal.

A frown formed on Kara’s face.

After just a moment more, she turned back to the job board and took a copy of the posting. She would begin to prepare for the journey to Volta…

OOC: This quest is now closed. You may join later on in the main quest thread, but your character must find and bring the notice mentioned in this thread.

Emelia Bram watched more of the notices being carried out on horseback by her runners. It would take a while to get to the furthest reaches of Arethil, but the campaign itself was already drawing positive press. Perhaps hiring foreigners to solve the murder wasn’t a bad idea after all.

• Yay
Reactions: Kiros Rahnel