Private Tales A Kingdom Reborn

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer
Character Biography
Link
(OOC: This takes place during the thread: Vintage Dwarven Wine)

"She's not going to be happy when she finds out."

"I'm afraid she already knows," Shilard sat under the shade near the small coffee shop ahead of him were the two Black Falcon operatives . The old Ambassador took a sip from his coffee his eyes gazing at the masked executioner hyping the crowd by exaggerating the twins crimes. Shilard snorted taking the small metal spoon and gently stirring the two creams and two sugars that in his coffee. While the two sweetened substances gave a pleasing aroma to the coffee, Shilard found it a little too hot for his taste, back home coffee was heated to a cooler temperature than in the Savannah. For whatever reason, denizens of the desert love to have their food and drink warm and most. Perhaps it was a reflection of their life in the desert? All Shilard knows is that he had better coffee back at home.

"I've spotted some Crows witnessing the fight," Shilard said taking a sip of Coffee. "They displayed some unusual behavior, specifically following me while I was looking through the archive hall. It was all but confirmed when my magical talisman began to vibrate."

The young mage raised his eyebrows in shock at Shilard's statement wiping the sweat from his brow. "Those crows were skinchanged," he moaned. "Well I'm going to expect an earful from Ava soon enough. Why did you interfere in the Black Falcon's affairs Shilard? We had a deal in place a month ago!"

"Bastille," Shilard's expression leaned forward on his chair his expression remained unchanged. "Traveling in the desert for a week must be exhausting," waving a hand for the servant to come. The old Elven woman lumbered over smiling at Shilard and Bastille who appeared flustered. "Please," he said nodding his head. "I have no need for drink."

"I insist," Shillard continued to sip on his cup. "Our guest will be arriving soon and I need you alert once we begin the negotiations."

"Here?!" Bastille looked around the humble Coffee shop. "I would think, the meeting will take place in a something more..... civilized."

"Bastille you're insulting the poor woman," Shilard shot the Elven woman a sympathetic glance. "I apologize for my friend here, he is young and not yet educated in the other cultures."

"Not the worst thing it's been called dearie," the Elven woman chuckled. "But this place been as old as me!"

"I'll just have water," Bastille placed his hands over his face as the woman bowed and reentered the shop. "I just want to converse in a place that's..... relaxed for both parties," Shilard said his eyes narrowing on the twins who had their necks broken the moment the executioner pulled the lever. The old man took a sip the moment the crowd roared. "I'll probably start low considering that Queen Vyx'aria hasn't bothered to come on her own."

"We're only to be allies with her," Bastille said. "She is to help us as we help her in her business."

"I haven't forgotten the objective," Shillard said. "We support the Queen in her fight and she'll be in our debt. Her sister should be arriving here soon."

Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel

Last edited:
  • Cheer
Reactions: Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel
The meeting had been set, she’d been ordered, and generally told what to expect. What she hadn’t been told was how hot it would be, how long it would take to get there, and how boring it all seemed. It didn’t help that the documentation she’d been given had sat ignored in her belongings. She’d also been told that she was to come alone, or at least her sister had told her to go alone, so she’d had no one to dump luggage on, much less guards to order around. She stuck out like a sore thumb, but true to her personality, she opted to forgo disguise.

She wore an embroidered silk vest under an equally embroidered cashmere kaftan, the sleeves cut to the middle of her forearm. Fine cotton trousers and low cut leather boots rounded out the outfit, though she did nothing to cover her head or hide her race from anyone watching. The sun had long since ceased being an issue to her vision and her previously light gray skin had tanned darker the longer she travelled about on the surface.

The coffee house stood ahead, a simple affair of a structure with modest decoration and seating. It was hard for her to decide if the building was well worn or simply ramshackle and old, but decided it was neither and both simultaneously to her mind. Spotting the only two foreigners seated at a table nearby, she took the remaining seat with barely a glance.

“I’m told you’re who I am to meet,” she stated blandly.

Shilard De Espstein

• Sip
Reactions: Shilard De Espstein
Crows landed on top of the wooden planks holding the twins' bodies, they dangled lifelessly left and right as color slowly left their face. The crowd satisfied with their bloodlust began to disperse throughout the marketplace, three dark skinned bards began to take out their instruments and began to play a song. Their passionate voices echoed throughout the streets attracting bystanders clapping to the music despite the fact that they are speaking in an unknown tongue.

A smiled formed on Shilard's wrinkled face his laugh lines began to stretch just a little bemused by the sudden whistles the tall, skinny bard did before singing. Bastille sighed wrapping his hand around the black cup and sipping the cool water "I hope you're not going to promise Queen Vyx'aria our army," he said still tense judging by the way huffed as soon as he swallowed his water. "The King has said not to be directly involved in conflicts."

"My young Bastille," Shillard said sipping his coffee. "I've been a negotiator for Cintria for the past 40 years the youngest to ever serve as one. Thanks to me, the Kingdom of Cintria has expanded its reach throughout Arethril. I am no warrior Bastile and I'm not one to prefer war, I do my jousting through words or through a pen. You must understand a war can be won or lost not through steel or magic but rather acumen or negotiation. After all power belongs to the chessmasters ones who pull the strings while their victims do their bidding."

Bastille sighed again while Shilard chuckled. "Instead of the conquerors," the old man said. "Let us be the smiling ally that provides with coin: Our coffins are overflowing with it and-"

"She is here."

Shillard smiled at the Drow woman approaching them. "Ah so you must be Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel the sister of Queen Vyx'aria!" The old man gave Vic'ynrae a warm smile while taking her hand and kissing it. "You look as beautiful as the Queen. Please sit we have a lot to discuss,"

Bastille waved a hand and a chair appeared behind Vic'ynrae, the Drow sounded quite bored definitely not a person who is accustomed to a negotiation. This definitely will not take long.

Negotiations were far from her area of comfort. Or, rather, peaceful negotiations were the unknown. Hostile negotiations made post or mid battle, demands of payment to vacate the region, and perhaps the odd hostage negotiation were more her realm of knowledge. When you held all or most of the cards, negotiation came easily, or at least simply.

“Flattery will only get you so far,” Vic’ynrae stated politely with a slight smile that didn’t quite reach her eyes.

Usually regarded as the more cruel of her siblings and family, which spoke volumes considering Drow society in general, Vic was well versed in political niceties as per her mother’s orders. She’d paid attention, but found she’d never used the skills outside of the odd party and even then her tutors had been able to drill the lessons into her yet the backing emotions, genuine or false, had eluded her. The result was often offsetting, though she found the combination oddly useful.

“My sister tells me you wish to help our growing nation,” she said as the geriatric elf appeared with another cup of coffee, depositing it on the table. “I’d like to know how and, arguably far more important, why.”

The Drow took a sip of the bitter liquid and decided that she neither liked or disliked the concoction. It needed something and it needed to be cold. Perhaps chilling it after brewing would improve the flavor, though she surmised after a moment that milk and possibly cinnamon could make the drink far more palatable.

“Everything comes with a price attached. Nothing is free, especially when it comes to kingdoms and countries. What does your King expect in return for his help?”

Shilard De Espstein

• Thoughtful
A smile formed on Vic'ynrae's face though Shilard could easily see that her eyes did not smile with her mouth. It was obvious that the Queen's sister did not want to be here which made him wonder why would the Dominion send an impatient negotiator? Shilard supposed he was lucky that Vic'ynrae wasn't interested in small talk. If anything her impatience might make the terms favorable towards Kingdom of Cintria.

"But flattery is usually the best way to get talks going," Shilard smiled taking another. "It costs nothing to be polite, it invites people in makes them feel..... safe."

Bastille sighed a bit taking a bite of his scone. "Any good Kingdom needs coin to fund their conquests," the young mage said. "It's unlikely banks like the Bank of Alliria will be invest in a fledging underground Kingdom. Especially the Drow with their callous reputation and not to mention slavery."

"Fortunately for you my dear the Kingdom of Cintria recognizes the value of slavery we practice it ourselves," piped Shilard. "Unlike the Bank of Alliria even though they themselves are known to bend the rules to suit their interests."

The old man leaned against his chair still sipping the cup of coffee though his blue eyes did not leave Vic'ynrae's. "The Kingdom Cintria is still recovering following its destruction by King Grechen during his bloody crusades in the Age of Expansion. For years we've formed many connections with the right people and have made a considerable amount of coin through commerce."

Shilard still hasn't taken his eyes off Vic'ynrae, he was trying to get a feel for the Drow. Etiquette and flattery were not effective, time to take a more direct route. "We've taken the liberty to check rumors about Queen Vyx'aria," Shilard said placing his cup of coffee down on the table. "How she carries herself in front of her subjects how she was able to take the Duegar Kingdom by force and assimilate its inhabitants to her cause. It's a rare quality to have a ruler who can find the balance between being forceful and generous to their enemies. It's very impressive."

Indeed it was, the king would like Vyx'aria if they ever met in person. Compared to the newly crowned Emperor of Amol Kalit who relies solely on brute force, the Drow Queen is capable of gaining hearts and minds of her allies who are less than savory to get them to work together speaks well of the Queen's charisma. "I shall tell you directly of what we want," Shilard said. "The Kingdom of Cintria's coffers are full of gold. We can lend you what money your Queen desires, of course we expect her pay it back with interest but we can negotiate the details at a later time. In return we ask that you assist us in our goals and ambitions. Starting with the rot that infests our great Kingdom."

Bastille closed his eyes beginning to look away from the two staring at the singing Bards entertaining passerbys. A grim smile formed on Shilard's face a bit, the boy has still a soft heart he has yet to realize that sometimes a person must do unpleasant things to maintain peace and order.

"Peace and order," Shilard said. "I assume that your Queen values that no? In fact I suspect that is the major reason she forms this coalition of Kingdoms. To unite them under her rule, to cease their quarrels and fight for a common goal. From gaining the allegiance of the Goblins in the Spine to conquering the Duergar and convincing them to join her cause. Like I said before..... Impressive."

Last edited:
“Connections and coin do not an alliance make,” Vic’ynrae stated politely as she took a sip from her drink. “Nor do one regent’s admiration over the achievements of another. Alliances and treaties are, when put in their simplest form, business deals.”

She set the cup on the table before placing her elbows upon the worn tabletop, her fingers steepling gently as she gazed at the two agents before her. She was beginning to see why her sister had sent her to this meeting. Vyx could have sent any old diplomat or some noble who deemed themselves an elite negotiator, but this sort of dealing required a slightly different approach. Granted, her sister could have also easily sent her to get her out of the mansion and out of her hair for a while. It was a coin toss either way, but Vic figured she’d enjoy being trusted for her uniqueness rather than contemplate the alternative.

“We have no need for coin, what we need is dug up from beneath the ground or brought in by traders along the new roads through the Taaghi Baara. We have no need for armies as our soldiers grow steadily in number throughout or territory. We have no need for arms or armor, the Duergar provide what we need in ample supply.”

“You desire an alliance. Your peace and order, as you say,” the Drow said, her tone still just as polite as ever. “We can help with your peace and order, your ‘rot’ as you call it, but not for coin. Not for something as simple and baseless as money to be paid and multiplied and repaid on paper and in the minds of obsessive bankers hell-bent on following every single decimal and digit across acres of parchment. You’ll have to offer something we need and on equal terms. No interest, no loans. One deed begets another when it comes to nations, rulers, and bargains.”

Shilard De Espstein

• Thoughtful
Ahhhh what naivete displayed did Queen Vyx'aria honestly believed that she can take what she wants through brute force the same way the Emperor did in the Savannah? From what Shilard's spies had told him, the Drow woman was pragmatic enough to know show of force alone will not help her in fact it will backfire. True, King Ysir had sent Shilard on this mission to treat with the Dominion and form an alliance of sorts in an effort to gain a valuable ally. The old man wondered if Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel was speaking for the Queen? Or this is all her work.

"Thank you for lecturing me in the art of negotiation my lady," Shilard said his honeyed words laced with some barb. "I'm well aware that your fledging Kingdom has what it needs but have you considered the source in which it came from?"

Bastille slowly turned his head towards Shilard feeling a shiver down his spine. It was not often Shilard broke his calm tone even if for a bit. Placing his left leg over his right, Shilard clasped his hands together frowning at Vic'ynrae. "Consider your allies: The Goblin King I shouldn't remind you how much of a nuisance Goblins are to society. Ambushing, looting, killing. Griag and his father waged a war against the peace loving Halflings 250 years ago over petty issues. The Duergar? Dark Dwarves who have a nasty reputation. As much as I am amazed in how your Queen managed to get them to unite the rest of the world will look at the Dominion as villainous. Alliria, Vel Anir and Elbion may unite to be rid of you and the Queen will be looked at as a monster."

Two waitresses emerged from the coffee shop and placed three hot plates: Amol-Kalit style lamb along with Lentil Rice. They've also placed forks and knives before taking the emptied cups away. "We are here to put a positive spin for your Queen." Shilard said beginning to slice his Lamb. "A liberator, someone who leads by example."

The Drow ignored the food for the moment, instead focusing on the diplomat across the table as he spoke. She smiled once more and once more the expression failed to meet her eyes.

“I think you misunderstand my meaning, so I’ll rephrase,” Vic’ynrae stated plainly as she sipped at her drink. “You came here with coin or promises of coin to buy an alliance from my sister. Normally, with other nations, this would be highly acceptable, even the standard in some cases. However, for the Dominion, simple coin and gold and bank notes are not sufficient. You brought the incorrect currency to barter today, but fear not. All is not lost.”

She reached into her kaftan and removed a small scroll from a pocket hidden within. She unrolled the parchment and spread it on the table, the writing facing the diplomats in clearly scribed Common. It listed numbers, amounts, qualities, types, and timelines in neat rows, columns, and charts complete with keys for various shorthand notations strewn throughout. While some of the more obscure details would be unknown to either diplomat, much like to Vic’ynrae herself, the general gist was quite clear.

“You will have an alliance in exchange for goods, not money,” she leaned back in her chair with her coffee, allowing her foreign counterparts time to read through the document. “Specifically, lumber. Seasoned, hardy, and of the dimensions and species listed in the quantity required. If your king agrees to supply Queen Vyx’aria with that, then you’ll have your alliance and whatever troops from the Guard that you need. As for our allies, you needn’t worry. My sister is quite versed in ensuring and maintaining loyalty in such regard.”

Shilard De Espstein

• Popcorn
Shilard stared at Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel his hand wrapped around the cup of Coffee which was already starting to cool off. So Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel just laid out their needs like that, no war of words, no hidden meanings it actually a relief to see a person to be so direct. Perhaps it would be a fortuitous alliance after all, Bastille took the piece of parchment and read quickly read over it giving the paper to Shilard with a slight frown on his face. The old man's eyes glossed over the items that the Dominion required namely one of Cintria's major exports: Lumber.

Not only is does the Kingdom of Cintria's territory has an abundance of trees, they also get their wood from the Steppes specifically off the Gulf of Liad using the slaves of conquered tribes to chop the trees down. A chuckle escaped Shilard's lips, this was for the most part a reasonable deal perhaps the Dominion is desperate for goods. "This is a reasonable deal my lady," Shilard said taking a sip of coffee. "There are some things that we can negotiate the price down but we have a fertile land that we can share from the Steppes off the Coast Liad lies raw, hard lumber chopped down by the slaves of conquered tribes." Shilard placed his cup down. "We also have allies that can give grant you the kind of species that you might be worth your while."

Bastille nodded slowly his face full of hesitation. "I'm sure the King will find this agreeable." the young man said. "In fact I fully expect that he'll sign off of it as soon as he is able to."

"In addition," Shilard said. "I've heard some rumors that your Queen is about to attack the Dwarven city of Belgrath."

Bastille looked at him wary of what he is going to say. "The Kingdom of Cintria will gladly assist our allies granted that our operations will discrete. I'll write to our King to send 500 Shadow Guards: Elite soldiers handpicked by the King himself to be fiercely loyal. They can launch small scale attacks that can inflict heavy casualties due to their skillset."

• Yay
Reactions: Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel
The Drow shrugged mentally at the offer for military assistance, but didn’t let the internal indifference show. The Dominion possessed the Black Guard, among other regiments, and would no doubt carry the day easily enough against Belgrath, but she knew her sister. Better to have an extra arrow in the quiver than exactly what is needed.

“That would be well received,” she stated politely, withdrawing a small, palm sized book from the sleeve of her kaftan. She took a moment to fish out the charcoal stick that accompanied the note set and scribbled for a moment before looking up.

Bhathairk has a series of docks and yards set up down river from the main city. Lumber shipments can be delivered there. As for your soldiers, I will have a barracks set aside upon their arrival.”

She tore a slip of paper from her notes and set it atop the parchment. Listed in neatly written common were details on locations, names, and shipping identifiers for incoming vessels.

“Your ships will benefit from this information and those names should be current for delivery within the next few months. As for aiding your kingdom with our troops, I have permission to send a brigade of Black Guard to Cintria upon the treaty’s signature with the full regiment sent shortly after if needed. Should you require further assistance I have approval to send a small number of mages as well as cavalry and further infantry elements.”

Shilard De Espstein

Shilard took the small piece of paper and began to read its contents. Bastille moved his seat closer so he can have look as well. Most of the areas Shilard had been familiar with as he's cut deals with them in the past. "The Orc Stronghold," Shilard placed his blue eyes against Vic'nare's black ones. "The Kingdom of Cintria has good relations with them. We'll send the supplies for you to build your ships as soon as I return to Cintria."

Bastille opened his mouth to speak but a casual wave of Shilard's hand prevented him from doing so. "In addition to our goods," he added. "The Shadow Guards will be armed and ready on the shipment, I expect the troops to be briefed on the situation so they can plan a route during your assault."

The old man leaned closer to the Drow looking around the marketplace as if to make sure that no one was listening. "I must say," he whispered. "Your Queen is playing a dangerous game, if Belgrath falls it will incur the wrath of Alliria. They have been trading partners for thousands of years and they are the reason why Belgrath is still standing. You'll risk war with a powerful nation."

"Meaning," Bastille piped in. "This is a rather risky endeavor for us, if Alliria finds out of our arrangement then our trading agreements will be thrown out. It'll be harder for us to ferry what your items through the Allirian Straits."

"We will need to talk to your Queen about what the Dominon plans to do with Belgrath," Shilard slightly annoyed that Bastille spoke out of turn. "For now you have our support but in the near future my lady, I feel that we need to have more talks. Perhaps with the King?"

Shilard held his hand for Vic'narae to shake. "To our friendship," he said a smile forming on his weathered face.

Vic'ynrae Tor'Rahel