Open Chronicles A Journey Begins

A roleplay open for anyone to join
Character Biography
Link
The open road would stretch on the beautiful day out in the outer Falwood reaches. A solitary traveler, cloaked in a heavy olive drab cloth would walk alone whistling a little ditty to no one in particular. It was his first time outside of the forests of Falwood and he'd picked no particular direction as he started walking. His want being to explore all that was, of course the best direction to go, was the one that fate itself decided. As such he didn't bother himself with such petty worries as to where he was going, instead deciding that just going and seeing what was out there would be waiting. His pack and gear would be under the cloak as he kept his hood down to look about him. Such a beautiful day with the sun shining, the wind gently caressing his skin and hair, and the grasses around him swaying with a soft rustle. It was certainly different noises and sights from what he'd been raised in, but it no less invigorated the younger man. He had adventure on the mind, and with nothing but an open road before him the future was naught but possibilities.

He wondered what his first day of travels would bring him.

• Yay
Reactions: Faelin K'Abveirin
Patrik Fetladral

As the road led out into the open world before, it seemed to be empty for a fair deal of time. At least until mid the bushes appeared, what seemed like an elf and a horse.

If they moved away, one wouldn't be able to come near, if they walked Patrik's way, they would've met sooner.
It became clear what was going on. The elf was dismounted and tugging the skewbald mare from all possible angles, which on closer inspection, appeared stuck in the ground.

»Come on you old nag, I can't lose you like this. «

Faelin K'Abveirin

"Watch that old fire as it flickers and dies. That once blessed the household and lit up our lives. It shone for the friends and the clinking of glasses. I tend to the flame, you can worship the ashes," Patrik sung as he remembered the old song from his father.

He had a spring in his step as he kept walking down the road, continuing to sing as he smiled looking around the area. What would catch his attention however, was the small noises, a few grunts and other tell tale signs of activity nearby. Being the curious type, and naturally suspecting someone might need some help the young man would stop in the road and look about for anyone else the might be coming. More hands did make for less work, but it would seem that the road was particularly quiet today aside from this traveler he'd happened upon. He sighed to himself and slowly trekked through the underbrush, being sure to not rustle the surrounding vegetation as he'd been taught, approaching slowly and calmly. Keep your excitement and vigor in check, his father had instructed. A calm and collected mind was worth ten excited and overreacting ones. He would gently push branches and other small obstacles out of his way, ensuring they came back to rest after going through them with a caring and quiet touch. Finally reaching the two travelers, Patrik would keep a small distance so as to not startle nor otherwise get caught up in whatever might have troubled them, and would speak in a calm but firm voice so that they could clearly hear him.

"Hello there, I can see you're in a spot of trouble. Would you care for some help?"

The brush he was standing in was still thick enough that to the casual observer, they'd be able to see his head but the rest of him was obscured. He didn't really mean to obscure himself, but did want to give these other travelers their space as he was intruding, welcome or not.

The nocturnal elf seemed preoccupied with the horse to truly notice anyone come by, at least until the stranger made himself present.
»Oh? «
Faelin turned around and stepped aside, next to his miserable-looking horse. Her legs were stuck kneedeep in mud. »Help? Of course, my horse is too old to die like this. I don't want to leave her either, she's too good to me. Annoyingly stubborn at times, but knows how to play the heartstrings. « He motioned at the mare again before squinting his eyes and readjusting his straw hat again to better see Patrik in the daylight.

It seemed like she was nearing the end with her exhaustion.

Patrik Fetladral

Patrik would smile innocently and politely wave as the elf turned about to look at him. When he finished speaking he would nod as he stepped forward and studied the area around them. The horse seemed to be stuck in the mud, an odd predicament seeing as they were off the road a bit, but Patrik would pay that no heed. These travelers had requested his help and he would certainly give it. He would take off his cloak, pack, and other unnecessary gear as he prepared to step in, as being light would most certainly be necessary for him to move about and get an idea on the situation. This would reveal himself a bit better to the elf however, no longer concealing himself to be a larger human that was certainly quite rugged.

Patrik would start walking forward calmly to the horse, looking it in the face if it cared to gaze at him, speaking softly to calm the mare's nerves. He held out his hands and would reach over to softly pat the mare to establish a physical connection between them, simply to reinforce his intents and show the horse he meant no harm.

"Easy girl, just take it easy I'm here to help,"

Stepping into the mud pit, Patrik would note the consistency of the mud surrounding his legs, certainly not pleasant nor easy to move through, but he felt confident he could rectify the situation. He would speak to the elf as he gently pet the horse's face and neck to reassure it.

"We should probably start by removing the saddle and anything else weighing her down so it'll make it easier for her to move. After that I've got some vegetables to give her for food and we can start moving her legs one by one to get her out. Does that sound okay?" He said to the elf.

Patrik would look over at the elf now, curiosity in his eyes as he noted his skin was much different to the elves he'd seen before. And he was certainly an elf, he could tell being that the features looked a lot like his father. He wondered where he hailed from. He brushed the thoughts to the side as he focused on the horse.

"Don't you worry you sweet girl, we're gonna get you out of here. I got a few treats for you too if you're a good girl. Can you do that for me?" He would start sweet talking the horse, mainly to keep her calm and get her to relax a bit while he pet her face and neck.

Faelin K'Abveirin

The elf eyed him for a moment, taking in the stranger before he obliged and yanked off the shabby pack off her patchy white and brown back.

»With two hands it might be... actually possible... You pull at the front, I dig at the business end.« He started moving backwards. The elf was rather short up close, so the strength of a full-grown man came useful in such a predicament.

The old nag bobbed her head lightly but seemed to not understand what was spoken around her. IF anything, there was a definite fear and lack of hope in her eyes. She most likely wasn't aware of the spoiling her rotten that would follow.

The elf wedged himself at the side of the horse, putting his hands into the mud. »By the way, the name is Faelin.«
He began to remove mud from around her feet, it was only a matter of time...

Patrik Fetladral

Patrik would nod to he elf as he watched him get the pack off, looking into the old mare's eyes. He would calmly whisper to her and try to reassure her as they started working. The lessened weight would make it easier to counteract the grip of the mud, now all that was left was to coax the mare to follow him. He would wrap his arms and hands over the neck of the mare making a sort of makeshift lead while ensuring that did his best to keep her calm. Pulling on the horse's bridle would accomplish little and he needed the larger beast to calmly make the attempt of her own accord while he assisted her.

And to get things started he pushed his inside foot down next to hers while keeping himself right next to her breaking the seal of the mud on her leg as far down as he could to make it easier to move.

"Alright old girl, let's go,"

Patrik would lead the horse forward, not so much forcefully yanking or pulling so hard as to cause the horse to want to fight back, but instead gently starting before applying more and more force so as to get her to move of her own accord. The key was to get it started with the horse so that way she could start moving on her own, and then guide her to safety. And with the placement of his hands it would take advantage of his height and weight so as if she got startled he could keep her under control.

"Pleasure to meet you! I'm Patrik of Falwood Forrest," He would jovially reply.

He hoped his calm and happy demeanor would help to placate the horse until they got her out of the mud pit. He kept whispering to the mare.

"Come on girl, it's okay. Let's go,"

Faelin K'Abveirin

The encouragement seemed to instil some focus back into the mare, and the first leg burst through the mud.
The once white leg was caked in mud and heavy well from it. The trick was to not get it caught in the mud again. Thankfully she knelt with that foot on some rooted soil this time around, but could not stand atop it.

»Well met, ... well, the other foot now.« The other foot should be easier this time around if she had any strength to give still. He went back to trying to pry the mud from her forehoof once more like last time.

Patrik Fetladral

Patrik would continue to whisper words of encouragement to the horse, keeping his pressure consistent and constant to continue urging the horse forwards. Something that would help now was with the extra lubrication of the caked mud in question as the horse would continue walking would actually help keep it from getting stuck. He would continue to urge her forward and guide her to a dry empty spot where they could clean the mare off once they were free of the pit proper. Patrik's own legs were getting caked at this point, but he used his knowledge of dealing with such obstacles to ensure he himself didn't get stuck, focusing on lifting the heel of his foot and shifting his leg forward to ensure the mud would part around his leg rather than cling to it. It took some getting used to when growing up, but now it was something that came as natural as breathing so he didn't think too much on it as he kept guiding the horse forward.

"Come on ol' girl, not too much further, then I got some nice treats for you being so good," He whispered to the horse before speaking back to the elf.

"Just try to break up the really thick mud so she can pull up her hooves. Once she gets moving she'll be able to walk right out of this, then we can get to cleaning her off best we can," He spoke politely.

Lastly, the elf pushed from the back, greeted with flecks of muds flying his way as the old nag finally pushed forward with the last bit of encouragement.

Her wobbly, shaky feet carried her forward, where she walked for a few paces as she was led. On the other end, the elf fell over where the horse once lay stuck. Faelin picked himself up and let out a sigh of relief. One thing is done at a time. »By Sanro, she's free...«

The old nag moved forward until Patrik stopped leading her. She would have otherwise probably just collapsed. The poor thing would have otherwise been a pretty skewbald horse, but the mud caking her, her white blots were indistinguishable brown from her back, and her black tail was tiff from hardened mud.

»...Yeah...the brush will help with this,« Faelin looked back to his pack to retrieve it, but not only that, he dragged the equipment over to the stop where his horse and Patrik now stood.

Patrik Fetladral

As the horse moved forward, Patrik would guide her with the firm if delicate grasping of her head and keeping her going exactly where he wanted her to. It wouldn't take long for them to get out and when they finally did, Patrik would quietly give the horse some praise as he patted the mare's head. And then he stepped away for a moment before coming back with three things, a rag, a water skin, and what appeared to be a carrot of some kind.

He would set down the waterskin and rag and hold up the carrot to the horse, offering a sweetly scented vegetable that he'd prepared himself before coming on this journey. The carrot in question had been given a slight coat of honey to make it much sweeter while offering a small boost of energy on the road. And due to the viscosity of the honey, the carrot was still hard and firm like most of its kind. He'd take a bite from the tip of the carrot in front of the horse to show it was safe before offering it the horse, patting her mane and neck gently.

While that was happening he would turn his head to the elf in question and finally seek to sate his curiosity about their situation.

"So uh, how'd y'all get stuck here? The road would be a fair bit that-away," he pointed with his free hand "Just seems not the most usual course of action for travelers to stray from the road without some kind of reason,"

The old nag seemed to enjoy the attention and lavished in the treats. -She knew what was good for her.

Faelin walked closer to his mare and started brushing off the rough dirt chunks. He wouldn't be able to get her properly clean this way, but at least it wouldn't become a massive muddy mess by the time the fine cleaning begins.

» I was taking a route from the north when we were ambushed by someone I couldn't quite decipher. The nag is usually as stiff as a brazen god but she bucked and took off without me.«
Faelin scraped off a nasty bit of mud off an ankle. » She's been struggling in this mud for an hour. And you? Going somewhere?«

Patrik would listen intently as he stared at the mare, his smile ever present as he whispered to her small praises for being "such a good girl". It sounded like there might be ruffian's on the stretch of road, and that news made him sigh a little. He didn't want any trouble, as he was just wanting to travel and explore this world and see all its beauty. He would look back to the elf and resume smiling.

"Why, I have no particular destination in mind. I grew up outside of the Elvish city in Falwood, and I wish to see this world and all its splendor. I plan to wander from coast to coast and beyond as my father did, gathering stories and sights so that I may pass them along as he did for me. So I guess you could say wherever the road takes me, I shall travel," He brushed the mare a few more times to ensure she stayed calm and focused on him.

"And goodness that's a long time for you to be stuck! Such a beauty, I bet you were worried sick about your friend weren't you?" He spoke to the horse, brushing her head a few times before kissing it above her nose like a parent would a babe's wound.

"It's okay now, you're safe and we're gonna get you nice and clean so you can get to where you're going," He paused as he seemed to ponder for a moment before looking back to the elf. "Where exactly where you headed by the way? Mayhaps this is some divine entity's way of giving me a direction in which to go," he chuckled at the thought, as he honestly hadn't put much thought into where he was going, just that he was going. The elf seemed nice enough and he wouldn't mind helping someone on their trip even if it was just to keep them company.

The horse seemed to be still enough and enjoy the brief rest she's getting. She's in no position to be ridden, but she will likely have to walk the rest of the distance regardless.

The elf, as he was listening to Patrik and was about to suggest going together. Always safer that way, right? right? All he could say was: »Yes. It's safer that way.«

»I was on a business path from the coast, now going to visit some lesser towns in Alliria,« he wasn't exactly saying why though. He was smuggling salt, and two sacks belonged to the nag.
»Have you heard they are currently suffering bouts of poverty there? «

Patrik Fetladral

The large human would note that the horse was clean enough now for travel and would pat the mare a few times before finally stepping back over and grabbing his own gear that he'd grounded.

"Alliria, I've heard of the place from stories I've been told though they'll be terribly outdated by now. I do know of it being a place of other humans like myself,"

He started putting his own gear onto himself, firstly getting his leather armor back on before strapping his various "tools" on top, his hatchet and knife. After that he would put his sword on his back, donning his cloak once more before grabbing his pack (which has his unstrung bow attached looking like a staff).

"It sounds like it would make a wonderful trip! I can't wait to see the various sights there for myself, and the no doubt wondrous views on the way. Shall we be off then?"

Patrik was positively beaming ear to ear as he spoke to the elf. To him this smelled of adventure, and helping a traveler such as himself was certainly something he was more than happy to do.

Faelin K'Abveirin

Patrik Fetladral

"It sounds like it would make a wonderful trip! I can't wait to see the various sights there for myself, and the no doubt wondrous views on the way. Shall we be off then?"
The elf snickered briefly, a small departure from his usual deadpan nature. Yeah, it's gonna be fun.

» Allira is the place for crazy and draconian traders. The most fun you'll get from it is a pickpocketer you haven't noticed for three hours after the fact or a Dolosus selling counterfeit ware.«
He took the skewbald nag's reins and slung a sack of salt over his shoulder before trodding along with the drier parts of the road.
» So, ever been to a big city before? «

Patrik would take off at a casual pace down the road, head held high as he walked alongside his new friends. Maybe friends was a little too much? Acquaintances? Ah he didn't really care. He did perk up though at the casual mention of a "pickpocketer".

"A pickpocketer? Why would I worry about such things, for I don't carry much in the way of money? Also why would someone sell something that's counterfeit, because surely selling actual wares is easier? I wonder what constitutes a counterfeit ware?"

His naivety would be on full display as he asked his questions. He'd heard stories of thieves or pirates from his father, but to actually have someone make a living of doing such things? He figured it would be much simpler to make a living honestly. After all he was looking to make a living on his travels by doing odd jobs and helping folks wasn't he?

"I must admit friend, can I call you friend? I must admit that I have only ever lived in Falwood, as that is where I was raised by my father. So being to a city such as this would be most exciting,"