Open Chronicles A Dime at a Time

A roleplay open for anyone to join

Smuk

Alchemic merchant
Character Biography
Link
Smuk scouted around the market stalls, looking for a clear place to set up his own shop. The city of Elbion was a big one, to be sure. People of all different cultures and species bustled through the market streets, narrowly avoiding each other as they walked straight ahead. Everyone moved at a speed that was a smidge too fast for the wandering merchant to keep up with. 'Well,' he thought to himself, 'at least this'll mean more customers'. He spied a small corner beside an exotic fruits stand and bumped his way through the stream of shoppers. More than a few people scoffed and yelled at him to watch where he was going, even a couple of goats passing by seemed annoyed. Travelling the continent with an enormous backpack was tough enough, but trying to navigate through crowds with it seemed almost impossible. He squeezed and swerved his way through and eventually arrived at the tiny space. After taking a breath in, he began setting up. He laid down a bright red and gold blanket and sat himself down as he pulled out some of his best handicrafts.

proxy.php

A potion dispenser with an adjustable amount, for potion-brewers who need exact measurements. A bell that could call an animal companion. A coil of re-sizable rope for those with low baggage space. A mask that allowed one to see at night as though it was daylight.

The mid-morning soon became midday, then to mid-afternoon. Not many seemed interested in his wares, least of all buying them. He thought about changing location but then the weather was so fine and relaxing. By midday, Smuk had put up a sign saying "Alchemic equipment for sale! Everything an adventurer needs!" and continued working on another device. He laid back against the cool stone of the building behind him and tinkered with the gadget. It was to be a type of mug that could warm or cool any kind of beverage. It was by late afternoon, that he realised he was missing an ingredient. He had enough varmt for the heating effect to work, but he had ran out of hundekoldt to make things cold.

Giving a sigh and a groan, he put his nearly-finished contraption down and stood up, bones cracking into place. He stretched and rubbed his eyes, taking in his changed surroundings. The light was a warm orange and there were less people rushing down the streets. He began looking around from his shop, wondering if he should start searching the markets for some hundekoldt.

"Oi, shopkeep!"

Lectrix had been browsing and scouting out the many shops in the district. Elbion was a long ways away from home after all, and he had to make the most of his visit. He was looking for some keepsakes for Delta and Charlotte, but he was also eyeing some equipment that would help him on his future endeavors.

"You got anything for seeing in the dark, or a grappling hook?"

He said, calling out to someone to attend to him. He had found this small shop near the end of the market district. If he liked the shopkeep, he'd pay for whatever he needed, figuring his prices would be cheaper than others. If he didn't like him, he just come back later and take what he needed.

• Yay
Reactions: Smuk
Smuk hadn't noticed the potential customer until he was right beside the mat. It took a moment for the elf to register that finally a customer was showing interest in his shop.

“Oh! Oh, alright. Yes uh- give me a sec!” He dove to the ground and rummaged through his packs, pulling out an assortment of curious things. “I have some things for that! Here!”

He whipped his head up as he stood, face lightly flushed from the suddenness. “This is a mask that will allow you to see through the dark! It fits all sizes and can be turned on and off at will.” He flicked a small switch and the lenses in the mask snapped up into a small compartment. “So you don't have to take it off during the day! And it's good for three seasons. This on the other hand,” he trailed off as he picked up another item. “Does the same thing but doesn't require you to wear anything.” He showed the man a glass vial with three separate compartments. “But it doesn't last as long. Each dose lasts for about half a season.”

“As for the other thing- grappling hooks, was it? -I'm fresh out, but if you can get me some parts then I could make one in about two to three days.”

| Lectrix |

Last edited:
Lectrix looked on as the elf explained the mechanics of his creations. The mask would prove to be annoying, but it would serve its purpose for longer. Meanwhile, the potion would provide it's dues with no hassle, but resupplying would be pricey.

"How much for the mask?"

He asked after some careful deliberation. He figured he would be able to deal with the mask, and fix it if it ever broke with some help from Charlotte.

"As for the grappling hook, you seem like a quite talented tinker. I have the remnants of an old hook and I've been looking for someone to do a custom order for me. I'd like you to find a way to attach a grappling hook to my gauntlet."

He said as he rolled up his right sleeve to reveal the bracer that he wore. It was quite simplistic looking, a plain brown gauntlet with a few gears sticking out of the side. It was the opposite of simplistic however, containing many tools for combat and thieving. He began to take it off slowly, unstrapping the belts that held it to his arm. He then held the bracer with two hands, and held it out to the elf.

"That's about 20 silver, though if you have something of equal value, I'm open to trade."

He wore his trademark smile and soon fell back into the rhythm. This was something he did nearly every week; sometimes every day if he was particularly lucky. He swiped a strand of stray hair out of his face and listened with interest. His smile grew wider at the compliment and he shrugged.

"Gauntlet, huh?" He got straight to business, observing the gauntlet in question and taking it into his own hands. He turned it over a few times, eyes trailing over exposed parts of the mechanism hidden inside. His mind whirled as he began seeing the connections between trigger and tools. It seemed it was jam packed with lock picks, knives and other small tools suitable for... certain types of jobs. Smuk didn't ponder on it for long; he didn't need to know about his clients and he didn't want to. To each their own.

"Yeah, I see there's a bit of space here for a collapsible grappling hook. I'll need to shift this dart mechanism more to the left but that shouldn't be too difficult. It's definitely doable, but did you say remnants?" he asked as he handed the gauntlet back to it's owner. "I'll need to have a look at them but I could do this job for... 10 silver and about two to three days time."

| Lectrix |

He pondered the words of the eld for a minute. 30 silver for the entire job. He could already see plenty good in the dark, did he really need the mask for perfect sight?

The smile he put on when he announced the prise caught Lectrix's eye. It seemed routine, fake. Lectrix didn't think he liked that too much.

But he offered a trade. What did Lectrix have that he didn't need? He needed his silver for Delta's present, so a trade had to be in order. As for the gauntlet, 10 silver was fine, but he'd be away from his precious gauntlet for a few days.

I'll make you a deal. I've got 10 silver for the gaunlet. As for the mask, I think I got something that'll ickle your fancy.

He opened his coat and pulled out a small baton from a hidden pocket. The weapon was made of finely polished silver with a black leather coating on the outside. He then clicked a button on the side, triggering the top of the baton to collaose, allowing a sharp silver pike to pop out rapidly, making the baton into a sort of spear.

I picked this up from a merchant for 30, but ts just been collecting dust in that pocket. I'll give it to you for the mask. Deal?

the market place had far too many furrless folk for his liking lionman and his royal guard slowly traverses the stalls stopping to eye trinkets and the like. the people that see him and his men aproche shy away in fear. the 7 foot tall 500 pound beasts have that affect on people.

lionman and his men find themselfs at an elves stall the elf is talking with another customer when they appear from the crowd. lionman eyes his wares. one of his men licks his lips looking at the elf with eyes of hunger.

"elf" he huffs in a deep scratchy voice.

lion man growls at him. "not now" he says ignoreing the sweet aroma the elf had no idea he was giveing off

he can see that the shop owner is busy. the customer dosnt seem bothered by the towering beast. he waits for there transaction to complete before approaching the shop owner. one of his men accidentally knocks over a jar of unknown contents lionman growls again. he decides to interrupt the trans action since it seems he now needs to pay for that broken jar and its contents that are now mercy to the winds.

"excuse me elf"

hes forced to lick his lips ever so often as the smell of elf causes his saliva glands to work overtime but hes unable to get it all so a few drips drop to the ground as he talks

"i apologize for the jar add it to my bill."

he glares at his guard. then turns his attention back to the elf

" do you have anything that increases strength?"

his deep gargle of a voice strikes fear in many people. lionman wonders if this is gonna turn into an issue like the last town they were forced to run from, a shop keeper got the wrong idea and thought he was a head hunter of some kind long story short an angry mob ran lionman and his men out of town.

he didnt blame humans and the like for being afraid. his belt was decorated with the bones of his enemies and although they were human and elf bones alike he had no qualms with either. elf meat is a delicacy in his culture but only in certain ceremonious occasions is one hunted and eaten do to the psycho active effect the meat has on his people . It is told that elf meat tastes like heaven and elves themselfs smell like heven.