Private Tales A Broken Halo

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Vigil

O' Watcher Mine
Character Biography
Link
You ever get a weird feeling that something is going to be very wrong?

I had the same feeling while holding a letter in my hands. One that I have not yet opened. I am sitting down on the bed in the room that I have, and just staring at this parchment. Clueless as to why I have it. The Inn Keeper spoke to be briefly of it. Mentioning that a Raven, a fucking raven, had came to the Inn ahead of time, with the letter, and a note. Asking for a Kavosh. Specifically one that was going to be visiting tonight.

Never in my life had I been this freaked out over something so small.

I broke down. Taking out my knife and pealing the seal off of the letter. I quickly read over it for any kind of seals or sigils. Hoping that it wasn't cursed or something. I found nothing of the sort. I sighed slightly as a small weight had been pulled off my chest. Even still, it wasn't much. I still could feel my hands shaking as I read the letter. Asking me for an audience later tonight. Apparently, we would be meeting outside the little village. Specifically mentioning "A tree that breathes no longer."

I could only assume a dead tree that was crooked and broken as hell itself. Sighing ever so slightly, I prepared myself for the night to wash over the sky.

--------------------------------------​

Low and behold, Night had come. The stars beginning to shine in the sky, and the ball of daylight, being replaced by a moon. Honestly, I enjoyed the wee hours of darkness. People couldn't see you slip away from the window of an Inn you were staying in, nor could they see you "borrowing" a horse from the stable.

I made sure to grab all I needed and made my way to this desired location. Breathing in and out. Attempting to gather my thoughts about whatever this person wanted of me. Reading the letter over and over in my head like a reoccurring dream.

"I am in need of your assistance with a ritual. One that would require your services as a Kavosh. You will be paid well, should the desired effects of the ritual, take place."

Great, so sure, I was being paid, but for something I had no clue was going to do to me, or others. If I were to die, then I couldn't really be paid. However, I think I knew my way well enough that I could defend myself should it really come down to that.

Dismounting from the horse, I walked over to this tree that was clearly the one. And sat down while I cleaned under my nails with the tip of a dagger.

Eae

• Yay
Reactions: Eae
Do trees breathe?

I liked to think so. Eae... the other me, she's thoroughly convinced of it. Probably not physical breath like we do, but, in a spiritual sense, I would imagine they do. Even if they didn't, it would be pretty simple for the Kavosh to figure out that I meant the dead tree outside of town, and if he couldn't? Well, I wouldn't have much use for him anyway.

The night was cool, pleasantly so. As I leaned back and closed my eyes to draw in a deep breath, I fluttered my wings slightly to let the mild breeze ruffle my feathers. Day time was fine, I supposed, but there was a serenity about the eve that I much preferred. This simple preference helped cement in our mind that my decision had been the right one.

As I waited for the man to receive my letter and meet me, I considered how it would go over for us when this was all said and done. Not us as in myself and him but, us as in myself and... well... myself. She calls me a bitch, but only because she can't make the hard decisions.

--------------

There he was.

Dark hair, pale skin, a piercing gaze. It wasn't difficult to pick out the Kavosh as he settled down beneath the tree. I smothered a fluttering of my heart when I saw him. Dangerous men always did it for us, and Kavosh could be very dangerous. I uncoiled myself from the underbrush where I'd been sitting a ways off and approached.

I wasn't sure how this was going to go down. The other one was the charismatic one of the two of us, but there was no way I was letting her back in control. She would never let me go through with what we were about to do. No I had to handle this myself.

"So... I'm glad you got my letter."

Not the most graceful greeting, I'll admit, standing before him, blushing slightly.

• Yay
Reactions: Vigil
There comes a time when someone or something will surprise you even more so. Sitting down near the base of the tree, just cleaning my nails rather gingerly, I had to think about the situation I was in. Would they be some kind of person who was hunting me by drawing in the idea of coin or payment? Or was this genuinely someone who wanted help from a Kavosh for some Magic ritual. It perplexed me that someone would be activly seeking someone from a species that were considered Bad omens. Really, we weren't.

The stigma placed on us was what caused many of our kind to be treated lesser than others, when we in fact, had quite the strength and magical prowess. We were so rare in fact, that I had never seen another living Kavosh. Despite this, I could more so hear footsteps approaching me first. I stopped my process of grooming myself and looked up, and the sight was one I never thought I would see.

Dark hair that barely reflected the moonlight, but with wings... feathered wings that were white as snow. I at first thought I was being visited by the Angel of Death herself. Killed by a bolt that I didn't hear coming. However, that ended when she spoke of the letter. She had sent the letter. My mind recoiled in an attempt to figure out what species she was. Who she was. Even if she seemed nervous and a little bit of rosy in the cheeks.

I stood up and brushed whatever dirt I may have had off of my clothing. Finding that I stood taller than her, but the wings she bore were clearly meant for flight. I tilted my head ever so slightly.

"Avarielian? It seems that I am not the only strange being around here then."

I waited a mere second before continuing.

"So you sent me the letter?"

• Yay
The irony of our meeting was not lost on me.

A Kavosh... the bad omens of the world, meeting with a being that appeared as an angel? It could have been a meeting between heaven and hell, if you believed such. This was why I was in charge right now. Apart from her not having the strength to do what we needed to do, she was frightened of Kavosh, of what they were known for, of what they could do.

But that was why I had come into existence in the first place: to make sure we wouldn't have to be scared anymore.

The man stood. Avariel are known for being tall, but I'm short for my people, and he stood a little over me. My heart skipped a beat as I stood in his shadow, a shiver racing down my spine. Was his shadow... slightly colder than the rest of the night? Or was that just me? Shaking my head of the thought, I stepped up to him.

"Indeed we--I am." I replied as he spoke.

Hoping he hadn't caught the slip, I bowed my head.

"Yes, I sent the letter. Before you agree to anything... this is going to be dangerous, and... and gruesome."
I paused, taking a moment to centre myself. Stay asleep, Eae, please. Pursing my lips, I continued, "but before we get into that, perhaps introductions are in order. I am eaE, what may I call you?"

• Yay
She was the messenger of the letter. However, there was a slip. One that said We. I had a feeling she was not alone in this operation anyways, but may have not wanted to scare me. I shrugged it off for the moment and merely continued with our conversation. She mentioned it would be dangerous and gruesome. I almost literally scoffed at that. I had seen people die. If she knew our species by heart, then she would know that dangerous was part of our lives since birth. We were literally living bombs. Despite this, I shrugged her off.

"That will not be a problem."

She continued after, yet seemed somewhere in her thoughts about this, or something else. I wanted to know what was going on inside her head, but didn't really pressure her for that. She looked nervous. That made my smirk rise upon my face like bread in the ovens. Introducing herself as eaE and asking for my name.

"Vigil. However, it seems my nickname is 'Bastard' for some."

I smiled a little bit at the joke. Considering I was an orphan, though I doubt everyone would know that, and a Kavosh, it was fitting to be the Bastard of the Kavosh. I raised a hand up to ease her a bit.

"Are you asking for help because you are unsure how to go about this ritual? You seem nervous."

• Yay
"Vigil,"

I repeated the name, reaching out to take the offered hand. My own would be soft and warm in comparison, a fact that gave me pause for a moment. This would likely be the very last time anyone might ever find my touch pleasant. If everything went according to plan, this body would die, and become cold like porcelain.

That's... if everything went according to plan.

"It's a pleasure, Vigil," I finished, making a point to use his name.

I don't care for the opinions others have put on you, I hoped the gesture would say, you're not a bastard until you prove such.

He spoke of the ritual, calling out my nervousness. For a moment, I considered simply telling him everything. After all, eventually I would literally have to entrust my whole life to this man. However, for now, I figured I'd use this time to vet him at least a little. Soon, I'm sure all would be revealed. But until then... I shrugged one shoulder,

"It's a dangerous ritual," I replied simply, "... and... While I'm familiar with it in theory, it's not one that you get the chance to practice."

Come on, eaE, I bit my lip, you're gonna have to tell him eventually.

A sigh uncoiled from my chest, might as well find out now if he was going to be too squeamish or... too law abiding for it. I was taking a gamble on this... even if he was Kavosh. Just in case, magic tingled in my veins as I spoke, just a precaution;

"What do you know about lich magic?"

• Yay
I was surprised a little with her taking my hand. Skin was soft and without much of any kind of blemish. Was she young for her kind, or did she just never leave home until now? I would not ask that kind of question though. If she was going to be an employer of some kind, then I had to be as nice as I could for her. Still, I moved my hand slightly so she could shake it as a greeting. Even as she said my name twice over to get it into her mind. Attempting to keep it with her as it were.

The ritual was one she knew of, but had not done herself purely because this ritual was not one you would practice often. I mulled it around in my head of what kind of rituals you would have to perform that could only be done once in a life time, or ones that would not require practice, more so, one that you only got one shot at. However, the question she gave me was the answer to that. Lich magic, or magic based around the Undead, or forms of Necromancy.

I was boggled by this. Why would a woman such as this be attempting to learn necromancy? I wanted to just come out and say to her, that if she was trying to resurrect the dead, then it was a waste of her time. Just because they were back to the land of the living physically, does not mean that they were there mentally. However, I went ahead and released her hand and continued with the conversation.

"Its controversial, dangerous, and in some cases a waste of time. Are you just needing me to gather materials or add my magical ability to the pool that the ritual can draw from? Otherwise, if you want me to do the runes or whatever, I am gonna need some texts to look at. Going blindly into this is not something I plan on doing."

Even if I was being paid for it, and she were to die because of it, I would rather not see that happen. A girl, as beautiful as she was, shouldn't waste her time on something that could get her killed just for the sake of something small. However, I knew not where this woman's thoughts were at, so I asked,

"Unless you are just trying to become a Lich yourself, I don't mind. But something like that takes extensive work."

• Yay
There it was.

I held his gaze as he spoke those last few words, saying nothing. The silence stretched out between us as my gaze burned into his. I didn't say it out loud, I didn't say anything out loud. But that silence, the weight of it, the attention drawn to it, should have been all the answer he needed.

Yes, I was planning on becoming a lich.

But, he didn't seem to be alarmed, just concerned about what would be required of him. Alerting the law about my plan did not seem to cross his mind at all, or if it did, he did an extremely good job of hiding it. There was little use in postponing it, then, particularly if there was rigorous preparations to be made. I was anxious for this to be done, and honestly... not sure how long I could keep her completely subdued. If she even had the slightest suspicion, if she awoke enough to catch even one word on it, I'm quite sure she'd fight so hard to stop me one of us might end up expelled--and like or not, I needed her.

I pulled out a tome from my bag. It was old, the very air seemed to hiss, as if life itself recoiled from the blackened book as it touched the moonlight. Holding it out, I spoke,

"The ritual is in here. I've studied it myself already. Make whatever preparations you need to make. There's an abandoned cottage not far from here, we'll conduct it there."

My heart fluttered as I held the book, hoping he'd take it to at least inspect. Even though I'm no stranger to corruption magic, even though I carry the taint in my own veins... I didn't like touching this cursed thing.

• Yay
She was silent.

The long and eerie silence drew out for what felt like an eternity as what I had spoken, was very likely, what she wanted. I shook my head as though I were trying to get water off of my head and giving her a confused look. She really did want to become a Lich. Someone who was neither dead, nor alive and was able to use the deepest forms of the Dark magic. She reached around herself and produced a book that was quite thick. Not an easy reading novel, but almost a biblical tome of how to perform these rituals within.

She was shaky while holding it. She hated the fact that this book was in her possession. Yet, it would be hers forever more if she went through with this. If any of the Templars found out, or if anyone... found out that she was what she was, then there would be hell to pay for her. Even more so than myself. However, I had barely looked at the book. Seeing that it was bound and wrapped by flesh and cord. The pages looked to be rather thick. Dried flesh. Whoever previously owned this book, really was a Necromancer, or a Lich, or a practitioner of the Dark Arts.

I reached out and barely made contact with the book. I could feel a shock running through my system. Telling me to let the book go, and to back away from this deal. My heart was racing as I took it from her. Using both hands to careful flip through the pages. Even more so, I opened it up to some section where it spoke of summoning entities of the Dark Ones. I flipped through the pages quickly and then found the one I needed. It didn't say it right off the bat, but it was clear. Altering your body to become more powerful. This was it.

Looking up at the girl, I felt bad. Knowing that whatever she was going through at the moment, was making her resort to this. I kept the book open, showing her that this process would not be easy. it would not be painless.

"I will aid you, but I want to know right now. You are giving up your life for this. Whatever chance of a normal life you could have will be taken away from you. You... you don't return from something like this. If you are going to enact this ritual, I need to know you will follow on your end. No I don't mean payment. I mean... You have to be willing to give up everything for this. Are you sure you want this for yourself?"

I watched as the Kavosh took the book from my hands.

The silence descending around us was interrupted only by the tiniest sigh of relief as the cursed book was removed from my hands. You'd think that I went through some kind of hell to get it, that it was hidden behind traps and guardians... but it had been surprisingly easy to obtain; sitting in a room beneath a cabin in the woods. I wrung my hands together slightly as Vigil read through the pages. He stopped after a moment, studying one ritual in particular. At his next words, my heart began to race in my chest. For a moment, I squeezed by eyes shut, fighting to keep Eae subdued and asleep.

Then, when I was sure she wouldn't wake, I nodded,

"I know. A lich is not a living creature. I am aware that I'll have to... I know what the ritual demands."

I lifted my eyes to stare directly into his,

"Believe me, it's preferable to what I have suffered in the past."

A cryptic answer, for sure. Too cryptic, perhaps? I needed Vigil to trust me completely, to trust that I would have the willpower to see this through, just as I needed to trust him to do the same. Lifting a hand to run nervous fingers through my hair, I explained;

"We've already gone through hell, a hell so nightmarish that our soul split in half, creating both of us. I protected Eae through that, I can do so through this."

His turn,

"What about you, Kavosh? Can you conduct this ritual? Can you... kill us?"

• Yay
Her soul split in half? The hell she had gone through? I shook my head as I closed the book. Smirking lightly as she then continued to ask me, literally, to kill her... them? If her soul was split, then I am sure that she felt she had nothing to lose. While I did want to tell her no, and not let her go through with this, payment was in there, and I am sure I could likely learn a few more runes and what not from this book. I sighed heavily as I looked at her.

"I am sure you have heard of the stories, and I am sure you care little for them. Just know, that this ritual will not fix anything."

I held the book open to the page. Looking over what I needed to get this done. I am sure she already had most of it that was needed. However, I... I had killed people in the past. I had brought about the premature death of many. However, not from anyone so... willingly. I sighed heavily again.

"What parts to do you need?"

I accepted her request.

• Yay
This ritual will not fix anything.

Oh? How could he possibly know that? Who was this man who dare presume to know what it would and would not fix? How could he stand there and presume to make a judgement call on a decision to which I had already come? I could feel the white hot anger rising within me as I prepared to open my mouth and spew fire at his insinuation.

However, the more the anger built, the more I felt her beginning to wake up.

We might be fundamentally different, but she and I are emphatically linked. I had to calm down, I had to cool the raging fire, or she might awaken and take back over, and realise what I was doing to us. Taking a few moments, I drew in two long breaths and let the out again, gently lulling her back to sleep in the back of my mind. She must never know that while I might be more aggressive... she has always been stronger than me.

Vigil asked me a question, thankfully drawing my attention to something I could focus on. In response, I extended my arm with my fingers facing up, a silent indication for him to offer an arm for me to take so I could begin to lead him.

"The hut is this way. I've gathered all the materials the ritual calls for..."

A pause. I wasn't sure how much of that page he'd read so far... if he knew that the ritual required more lifeblood than just mine... I wasn't sure if he realised what I just admitted I had tied up in the cabin.

"... if you have a magical focus or anything else you need to acquire, I'll show you were I have set up and you can collect what you need. I'm anxious to be tucked away and not out in the open."

Whether he offered an arm or not, I took a few steps in the direction of the cabin. This was going to work, it had to. I've thought of everything, I've even got a Kavosh to cast it; the chances of success were heavily weighed in my favour...

Why, then, did this walk feel like some kind of funeral march?

• Yay
Eae was curious, but understood. She had made her decision. I could, even in the moonlight, see her facial structure and her body language to tell she was not happy with my words. She was quite angered by what I said. Why would I ever say such a thing to someone who I had only just met. Strangers in the pale moonlight.

I lived alone. Outcast due to my heritage, and only coveted by those who needed Magic performed. Otherwise, I was left to my own devices. No aid, hardly ever would someone extend a hand, let alone stick their neck out for the guillotine. Even if Eae was split and shattered in the soul, there was still a chance for her to lead some kind of normal life. This ritual would not be a solution. Maybe at first it would be, but later on? It wouldn't. Templars hunt the undead, and their creators. Most of the time anyone who practiced Dark Magic was considered an enemy.

I acted much like a Stormbird that people assumed I was. I foretold that her life would not be an easy one, and could become much more difficult. However, that would mean little to me. I almost felt pity for her. Extending her hand out, I was confused on what she wanted. So I handed her back the book after closing it. Assuming she wanted it.

Walking onward without me, I whistled just enough to have the horse neigh at me before walking to my side. Grabbing the reins, I led it after the angelic creature.

"You needed something from me. I know not what you want, but state it clearly. Riddles will only make me change my mind."

• Yay
Vigil... handed back my tome.

Not exactly what I had wanted, but I accepted the book nonetheless, tucking it back into its place before beginning towards the hut. He wasn't exactly the most socially apt, but as I considered the thought, I realised that it was unlikely for him to be. Who would have taught him? Kavosh are weird, outcasts. The ones that live routinely outlive their parents. It was, in fact, a little presumptuous of me to assume that he'd have picked up the same etiquette I had.

So he followed with his horse in tow, asking me what exactly I wanted from him.

Anxious to have this whole business concluded, I continued walking as I made our way towards the cabin. My breaths seemed to grow quicker with each soft step. My wings, tucked in close to me, fluttered slightly, as a shiver raced down my spine. Speaking in riddles were more Eae's thing than mine, but there was a supreme reluctance to label the upcoming ritual for what it was; including Vigil's role in it. But I couldn't put that off much longer. We'd be going through it soon enough, so I opened my mouth with a sigh,

"That ritual requires two participants. I want you to be the second. I want you to stand in the circle I've marked out on the floor. I want you to follow my directions and read out the incantations... then I want you to kill me and complete the ritual. Poor all your Kavosh magic into it. I'll take care of my part, I'll show you exactly what to do, and if I make it through, I'll pay you. Does that sound fair? Are you okay with taking a life, Kavosh... even if it's not permanent?"

• Yay
Two participants was something I expected at this point. She would have likely done this on her own if she could. Breathing easy as she then went on to explain that the power of two people was necessary. Taking a life was easy. Expending energy to kill the person completely. Likely, the second person would be the "Anchor" and act as the one piece between the realm of the dead, and that of the living. Eae needed all the power she could get through magic. That meant someone who was known to have a bunch of magical prowess, without being turned in.

Kavosh.

She even mentioned it specifically of my bloodline. And then, asking me if I was willing to take her life into my hands. Even if it would be there only moments. Shrugging my shoulders ever so slightly, they lowered as we sauntered closer to the cabin. I could see the small form of it. Not much from the outside at least. Maybe two or three rooms max. However, that didn't count upper, or lower levels.

"Death is a natural part of life. While an end for some, others it is merely a beginning."

f I licked my lips lightly as I closed the distance between her strides and my own. Keeping a very easy pace. Once reaching the cabin, I tied the reins to the porch, and slowly removed one of the long-knives. Pushing open the door and slinking inside. I cared not what it looked like, but more so searched over every desk and air vent for this thing. Maybe it would give him his old life back. Still, the allure was very strong.

"Eae, why become a Lich. Before I move further, what is the purpose?"

To say the cabin was humble would be an accurate statement.

nestled within the marshes beyond the village, sitting within the thick blanket of mist that rolled across the wetlands, sat the low wooden building. Even from the outside it looked rickety. The marsh had clearly begun to try and reclaim it from beneath, warping the porch that sat somewhat wonky before the cabin proper. The boards creaked underfoot as we both stepped up onto it. I paused, watching as Vigil tied up his horse. The beast seemed to shift uncertainly. I didn't blame it.

His words had put me at ease somewhat. He was okay with what we were about to do, that was good.

Inside the door, the cabin's interior matched its exterior. A slightly warped building split into two rooms separated by a single wall with a fireplace. The fire was currently lit, casting dancing a orange glow and flickering black shadows along the walls. Aside from being somewhat cramped and smelling of stale, stuffy air and wood smoke.

This room, the larger of the two, was emptied of all furniture save the fireplace and a small table in one corner. On the floor, I had already drawn the ritual circle. It was drawn with charcoal, the runes laid in salt with all the appropriate crystals and herbs placed. There was a large triangle overlaying the circle with a circle at each point. The largest of these circles was closest to us, directly opposite the fireplace. The other two were equidistant from one another. In one of them crouched a man, bound and gagged, whimpering and trembling on his knees.

I threw him a glance as I answered Vigil's question. He had earned that much, at least.

"Twice now I have almost died. The first time, we were so desperate to live, so utterly in need of escape that our mind reached out to the demons, and our soul split in two. The second time, we were almost prey to the lionmen, and it was by their mercy alone and the sheer dumb luck of the universe, that we survived long enough to escape. I am unwilling to try our luck a third time."

I moved across the room and took my place in the circle opposite the crouching man. Once there, I leaned my head back and stretched out my wings, extending my arms as whatever glory my angelic form might have filled the room. In truth I was merely stretching, but a part of me felt like it was... right... that at least someone ought to witness that, in case it was the last time I could do it.

My gaze then moved to the man, still speaking to Vigil,

"In case it matters, I lured him here with the promise of... well, he won't be missed."

I glanced at the blade the Kavosh held,

"There's a knife in your circle, but I see you already came prepared. This first part is just adding our friend's lifeforce to the ritual circle, which is why the triangle is here. Once you take your place in that circle, I'll begin the incantation. You will add your Kavosh magic so that we can charge this circle for the ritual proper. Don't leave your circle until it's finished. Got all that? Do you need anything else before we begin?"

My gaze flickered briefly to the very centre of the magic circle. Once this step was over, I'd be moving to the centre of a five-pointed star. In that moment, I saw blood spilling all over the markings, a shadow, my own form...

Shaking my head, I banished the thoughts. Stay calm, girl. We need to make it through this before Eae can wake up.

• Yay
The cabin was simple. Easy on the eyes, and well enough alone that most people would have stayed away. Honestly, I was envious of the little homestead. I wish I could have been able to have a small house of my own. While I did not wish for a wife, or a family, I was always pondering what my life would had been like if I had not been... what I am. It was different for me. I saw the Rune upon the floor. Already completed and written in. The lines crisp and clean. No form of breaking so far. This had only been done today. It was quite the change. Seeing someone else create runes.

Her answer was not without merit. She had been through a lot, and wanted to supersede death. To live much longer than any one of her other counterparts. A nod of my head as I did see the other man in the corner of the room. Almost begging to garner my attention. He wanted to be set free. Whatever Eae had done, he wanted it changed. Looking at him, I could see the eyes of his soul. His blood filled with a fear, and lingering of a possible life. He was old, but still just barely out of prime years. Likely seeing much himself already and wanting to end it, and now changed his mind.

Wrapped up and kept in the circle, I moved towards the side of this pentagram upon the floor. Eae already moving to take her spot while asking me if there was anything I might have needed to do. I looked over her form one last time. Attempting to keep some form of my mind from wondering, I stepped forward and easily took the book back from her hands.

Opening it up, I flipped through the pages. I saw it before when I had flipped through earlier, and I wanted to do it now. To preserve what was already here. A fail safe if it were. Walking over to the man tied up, I drew my knife across his flesh. Across the length of his arm. The crimson life of his body dripped and released from him as his moans of pain came from the gag in his mouth. The dagger was replaced into it's sheath while he bled. I smeared my hands over him. Using his own blood to create a symbols and runes upon his face. Making the symbols rather quickly as though I had done this before.

Standing up, I moved to Eae with a new fresh coat of blood upon my hands. Motioning to her, stopped before I made any marks on her.

"Eae, I will uh... I will need to have access to your chest."

I stood there slightly hot in the face as I needed to perform this linking between the two people. I would have to do this a third time with the "Anchor" that Eae had chosen to tie herself too. Speaking up a bit, I decided to explain myself.

"I uh... am creating a link between your anchor, you, and the lamb to preserve what you are. For you though, I need access to the flesh above your heart."

• Yay
I took in a deep breath and let it out, closing my eyes for a moment and centering myself.

Vigil moved across the room, brandishing his blade and without a word, cutting into my captive. I stiffened, but bit back an outburst. This was exactly what I'd hired him to do; to sink his strange, Kavosh magic into the ritual, to make sure that it worked. He was doing just that. I bit my lip, watching as the man struggled weakly, his blood seeping from the scarlet line in his forearm.

My eyes moved over to the man himself as he approached me, standing before me with his shadow falling on the floor behind him, wavering in the flickering firelight. He seemed somewhat bashful as he stated that he needed to access my chest. Despite our surroundings, despite the seriousness of what we were about to attempt, I couldn't help but feel a tiny smile tugging at the corners of my mouth. It was... a relief, I supposed, to see a mote of innocence amid this dark and corrupted place.

With a nod, my fingers moved to loosen the sash around my waist. Then they moved up to the folds of my robe, pulling them apart enough to reveal almost milky pale skin covering supple breasts and a pronounced collarbone. Goosebumps danced across my flesh as I fought back a shiver. Suddenly, I felt a whole more vulnerable. I dropped one hand to my side, the other slinking into a pocket to produce an amulet.

proxy.php

I did not hand it over, in case Vigil needed both his hands for whatever he was about to do, but I held it open in my palm,

"That makes sense," I answered him, "I almost forgot... this is my anchor. You can keep it near you if you like."

I kept my gaze at the man's chin, for even I was having trouble hiding my fear right now. Eae was the scared one, not me. I couldn't let anyone even begin to believe otherwise, or I might not be able to retain control. If I looked up into those piercing eyes and saw whatever might be written on his face... I feared I'd crumble.

• Yay
Eae seemingly smirked a moment. I rolled my eyes. She may have some thoughts about my inquiring for the removal of some clothing. While I would have not had any problems with seeing bodies, a live person who still breathed, and lived was a different matter. They could still judge me upon my actions towards them. While I will not deny, Eae had a body that many women would envy, and men would covet, I looked up to her as she retrieved the anchor.

A necklace that was quite ornate. As she held it for now, I took a step closer and began the process of smearing blood over her chest just barely below her collar bones. The crimson blood slowly becoming more pale as it thinned upon her skin. Soft and smooth as I applied it to her, The runes would take a bit of time. Making sure that the various symbols and circles, and even a pentagram directly over her heart were correctly drawn. I paid attention only to my work and making sure that I did not screw this up.

Once done, I reached over to the necklace and began my work upon it as well. Speaking to her calmly about what was going on, and what I was doing.

"A failsafe should the runes upon the ground not work. It will direct the energy used into you, and into your Anchor. The runes will also prevent decay of your flesh while you die. The bad part about this, is that if you even so much as smear the blood, or the rune at your feet, it will kill you with no chance of return."

The necklace was covered in blood. Being that it was prepared, I unclasped the piece, and moved around Eae. I had to take an extra step to get around her wings. A hand reaching out and lifting the hair that covered the back of her neck, and moving it forward, I slowly wrapped my arms around Eae with the necklace in hand. Placing it around her neck gently and clasping it.

"A pity you are easy upon the eyes, only to die."

Moving away from her, I released the necklace and made my way over to the book once more. Picking it up from the table it was on, and opened it to the correct page. Finding it fairly easily only to look over at the half naked woman, as well as the man who still pleaded to me with his eyes.

"Are you ready O' Angel Mine?"

• Yay
Perhaps I was just too tightly wound, perhaps it was because I was so incredibly nervous about the upcoming ritual. Maybe it was my straining to keep Eae asleep... or possibly it really had been so long since we had let anyone so close and so intimate to us.

But when Vigil placed his hands on my chest, I flinched.

My heart leapt, a tiny squeak of surprise escaping my throat before I could stop it. I cringed, cheeks burning as I inwardly scolded myself for the slip. As he worked, I vehemently ignored the fluttering of my heart and the tingles that raced across my skin, hoping he did not notice a similar subtle fluttering in my wing feathers. As he worked and I forced myself to keep my breathing even I considered; would I still feel this afterwards? Would I be able to enjoy the touch of someone else? To enjoy warmth and closeness and other pleasures of the flesh?

No it was far too late to second-guess myself now. I did not know if I would be able to enjoy them after the ritual, but I did know--beyond a shadow of a doubt--that I would not be able to enjoy such if I was dead. That is what we were preventing tonight.

I listened as the Kavosh explained he was creating a failsafe. While my uncertainty and nervous excitement still ran rampant, this fact quelled the chaos in my mind somewhat. I nodded, meeting his eyes and offering him a soft expression of gratitude without a word.

As he stepped behind me, I shifted my wings slightly, allowing him room to move. Being careful to ensure they moved slowly, reducing any chances of accidentally sweeping over the floor runes and smudging them. Vigil was also slow, almost tender and caring as he moved my hair and placed his arm around me. As I let out a breath, it seemed to sound almost like the echo of a soft moan, something I quickly buried in sincerely hoped that he'd missed.

It was as he spoke that I felt a mote of fear for the first time. Not for this ritual, but for the Kavosh. Up until now he had merely been my hireling; spare magic and a pair of lips and hands to conduct the parts of the ritual I would not be able to. As an elf, I was used to seeing all members of the human races as children. But now, with his shadow falling over me and his tall, foreboding frame around mine, I felt for the first time a sense of how dark and dangerous he could actually be.

"We must all die eventually, Vigil," I replied to hi compliment, forcing an easy smile, "I'm merely getting my own out of the way now."

He asked if I was ready. At first, I did not answer, merely taking in a slow, deep breath, and letting it out again. Then I met his eyes, and nodded.

I raised my arms, holding them out along the lines that connected the three circles we occupied.

"Daemones invocabo
Et ego invocabo ac tenebras
Ad nigredinem, est quia per orbem obumbratio
Hoc hóstiam, quam tibi
Trahere animam a corpore
Dona mihi potestatem sanguine"

The man began to wail and writhe, the panic in his eyes evident as he fell to one side, squirming against his bonds and letting out muffled screams through his gag. A fine red mist began to ascend from his body, pulsing with the softest of glows. Provided Vigil did his part, that mist should begin to move towards us, granting us the power we would need for the next step.

• Yay
Eae was still nervous. The slight quips she had, and even a moan that I would not mention or bring up to her, only reinforced this. Still, I had done a portion of my part. Taking a moment to walk over to the table, I placed the book upon it's surface and moved inwards to the two people to create a triangle. Eae had taken a moment before her words were voiced. The Language was unknown to me, but I could get hints of what the words may have meant due to the roots.

Slowly, as her words reached the man, his groans became screams that were barely stifled by the gag in his mouth. Writing in pain and agony, I merely watched without any feelings for him. I did pity him to have to go through such a process, but that was the extent of my emotions. As a red mist began to remove itself from every pore of his skin, it darkened slightly with the mix of crimson, and flesh. A light red skin tone came from the man as he finally stopped moving and perished from this life.

Hanging into the air, the mist floated and swirled around much like liquid in a chalice. Drink from this proverbial goblet, the two of us would. My hand extended out in front of me. Utilizing the connection in the incantation of the ritual, as well as my manipulation of the life force, I drank deeply. My mouth agape to allow entrance of the crimson mist. A strange elongated inhale echoed in the room as all of the red mist entered my form.

Filled to the brim, I moved myself over to the Angel. Speaking to her ever so slightly, yet a voice that was not my own.

D̲̥̮̥͍̘͉͕́͢r͏̟ͅį͇͕͓̭̖͠n͚̺̘͎̺̭k҉̀͏͙͖̼͔̗ ͙̮̟̦͎͔̫͔́͟f͞҉͓̯͕̼ͅr̡̫ͅo̴̮̰̠͉͕͍̣͉m̦̥̘ ͔̼̦̟̙̝̝̖͔́m͏͉͍̮̘̞̘̥͖y̡̳̩̻̪̬̘͢ ̢̬l̪̙̖ì͚̤̼͓̩̖̜̙̘͞p̭͖̮̻͟s̵̨͓̳̠̜̜̱̘̠̟ ̗͔̳̥̭͟O̶̩̩̮'̷̺̬͙̭̤ ̞̩͕̟̠̱͈̀F͖a͈͓͙̟͚̺͓͢ͅl҉̸͏̻̬l̴͔̝̰̤̜͇̭͢e͉͈̣͍̰n̷̫͎̰̪̗̰̮̰̗ ̶̡͖̮̭̙̟̪͖͕Ḁ̵͙̥͈̰͈͓̫ņ̡̭͖̯͎̮̹͟g̶̰̼̮ͅȩ̛͓̤̣̳̣̦́l̢̠̫͈͉͍͔͓̥̖ ̯̯̫̜͎M̵̸̤̳̥ì̵̤̦̝͚̥̞͓n̺̟̝̯̩̠̲̜̣e̷̛̻̯̠̹̹͕͈͘

Without even waiting for her to answer, I thrust myself upon her. A hand latching onto her upper right arm, and my other hand grabbing by the back of the neck. Thrusting my mouth to hers. I could feel a swelling from within my chest as the very blood I had drank was being ripped from my body and transported to her through our mouths. Forcing her to feed upon the life essence of the man we had killed.

• Yay
I don't have a lot of empathy.

That's the advantage, I suppose, of having only half a soul. Eae and I basically got different portions of it; those that would helps us each serve our purpose better. I make decisions. I fight. I'm brave, I don't hesitate. As a result, I don't really feel bad for people. I can't afford to. Sure, a little of her bleeds into me, as a little of me bleeds into her, but for the most part, neither of us have to worry about the other.

So the only feeling I had as I watched the man writhe and scream and finally go still, was relief.

He hadn't smudged any of the markings around him, nor managed to free himself and break the circle. The mist hovered above him, glistening and dark, almost visceral in its colour and texture.

A shiver tried to rack my shoulders, but I forced it back. I could feel the weight of what we were doing settle over me like a blenkt. Not merely the taking of a life, but the consorting with dark and corrupted magics. Demons, darkness, and all manner of monstrous things would be drawn here. Even learned as I was, I could never hope to try and hold such at bay. We had to simply pray that they would not intervene.

The shadows seemed to grow a little longer, the room slightly colder, the very air seeming to fall still as my words fell to silence and Vigil raised his arms.

The mist responded to him, shuddering and flowing towards the Kavosh as if he commanded it. A pang of fear as I gazed at his dark, foreboding figure. He was strange, powerful, and utterly determined, which seemed to only add to his atmosphere. This was why I had brought Vigil in on this ritual. All the reading in the world could not give me the same command over blood magic that he had. I watched on, maintaining my focus, as he opened his mouth and the mist instead flowed into him. Like some ethereal serpent, it twisted through the air, almost vengefully racing through his open mouth and no doubt filling his chest.

At first, a jolt of panic raced through my core. Was he trying to steal this power for himself? Was he still going to go through with the ritual? Or had he lured me into beginning it so he could take this lichdom for his own?

But before any of these thoughts could run their course, he crossed the circle in a single stride and reached me.

The man spoke, his words thick and seemingly echoing with a thousand voices screaming from beyond the veil. In that moment, all my thoughts and worries were suddenly shoved out of my mind and replaced with a single, bone-chilling terror. It was the kind of terror I had felt only twice before, the kind that turned the stomach and stopped the heart. His hand clamped around my arm with a grip like iron. His other around the back of my neck, pulling my face up towards his. Before I could even begin to process what was going on, his mouth pressed against mind, and the violent, virulent mist buzzing with raw power forced itself down my throat.

It wasn't a kiss. Kisses were gentle comforts or expressions of steamy passion. They were sweet and loving or hungry and desperate. This... this was something else entirely. My lips parted more in surprise than anything as I felt the lifeforce rush into me and fill me up. I tried to cry out that my throat and lungs were burning, but only a gasping, choked wheeze managed to escape.

Whether this lasted one moment or several, a minute or a number of hours, I couldn't say.

But when it was over, I felt suddenly weak. I slumped in his arms when finally it ended, my limbs heavy and lethargic, refusing to obey my commands. If he didn't catch me, I'd have hit the ground, hard.

But inside, I felt as if a fire had been lit. It had sapped all the energy from my body as a fire draws in heat from the surrounding air. But as it burned, hungry, angry, determined... it slowly began to grow. The first step had been completed. We were both now empowered by the life force I'd offered. Offered to whom? I didn't even know. Ourselves? A demon? I shivered and buried the thought.

I weakly raised one arm a few inches in the direction of the now lifeless, somewhat shrivelled corpse. I honestly didn't even really expect to be able to summon any magic, I felt so weak. However, the very moment the thought entered my mind to remove the body from the circle, a glowing, crimson beam shot from my hand, hissing with demonic power. It obliterated the body before I could even blink, leaving just a small pile of ashes that gently dispersed across the floor.

Glancing from the spot up to Vigil, I didn't even have time to consider how strange that the ashes behaved as if pushed by a breeze, but there was no breeze inside the cabin. Still in complete awe of the massive boost we'd both just received, I was anxious to put it to its intended use.

"Are you ready for the next bit?"

I kept my gaze rigidly on the Kavosh, even though my eyes ached to wander to the glint of the blade at the edge of my vision. Liches are undead, which--somewhat unsurprisingly--requires the death of the would-be lich. That part... as I took a stumbling step towards the pentagram in the centre of my circle, was a fact I could no longer deny. I just had to hope I had enough strength to see this through.

There was no going back now.

Last edited:
  • Yay
This feeling.

The rushing of power and energy. The full life force of a being that was drained from him in such demonizing fashion. My blood almost boiled within my veins. The power coursing through me unlike what I had felt before. While I knew I was powerful with Magic, this kind of power, this kind of energy... It was intoxicating. Even as I regurgitated into Eae, I could feel myself weaken to such a point, it as almost as though I had been performing manual labor for weeks without rest. The draining feeling came from myself. Even as it seemed Eae almost desired more from me.

When we finally broke this demonic form of a kiss, I was barely able to keep her and myself upon our feet. I watched with wonder as a pale hand rose into the air. Pointing at the corpse of the man we had taken. His body becoming ash that floated away into the wind as a bright flash entered his body. Eae had turned everything he was, into ashes and dust. Looking over to her with one raised eyebrow, wondering why she chooses to do such a thing, she then asked me if I was ready.

Ready for the last step. Death.

Slowly, I nodded. Breathing in ever so slightly, I reached behind my back, drawing the weapon I coveted. Prepared completely to kill this woman. To kill an Angel. Closing my eyes for a moment, I guess the slight draining of the power from the man returned my voice.

"I will see you in the morning."

Moving my hand from her arm, to her back just under her right wing, I could feel her ribs and spine. Hiding barely underneath her soft pale flesh. Holding the Long-knife I placed the tip gingerly upon her chest. Holding the blade parallel with the floor so that it could slide between her ribs without much effort. In an attempt to make it less painful I thrust the blade deeply into her heart as fast as I could. Drawing this out would only cause more agony.

The blade was penetrating through her flesh, muscles, and heart. The small guard upon the weapon being barely touched with her own blood. Without even waiting, I helped Eae slowly to the ground. So that she may lay upon the runes etched into the floor. Making sure to be careful with her wings and not cause discomfort. Keeping the blade into her chest, I spoke softly to her. Attempting to keep her in a peaceful state of mind.

"I will await for you to wake, and keep others from discovering this place. Take peace in your new life."

I didn't know what else to do. Part of me just wanted to let her be there. Nothing happening. However, I felt like it was necessary. My hand removed from her back now, reached up and pushed the long black hair from her face and ran my fingers through her hair. I know that some children find this relaxing, and I did not know if she would. Still, it might just be that last piece of the puzzle to keep her calm as she faded. I waited for her to cease speaking, for her eyes to close, and for her chest to never rise again. I waited for her body to go limp.

I gently removed the blade from her body. The blade covered in crimson life, I wiped it clean and replaced it in the sheath. With the last bit of care I could make for her, I grabbed a blanket and covered her body with it. When she woke, I didn't want her to feel like I stared at her body or even remotely take advantage of her. Should noon come tomorrow, and she not wake, then, and only then, would I loot everything I could, and make my leave.

Until then, I moved myself over to the couch, Laying down, and allowed myself to rest my eyes as I waited for her.

• Yay
This was it.

It had begun not this morning, when I had drawn the circle, nor the previous night, when I'd captured the sacrifice. It hadn't even begun weeks ago when the idea had first occurred to me.

This has begun years ago, the moment Eae and I had split.

This was my purpose, the reason I had come into existence at all. I was here to kill us, to drive us to the edge of the mortal realm and plunge us off of it, into the blackness beyond. Was I even feeling anything anymore? I didn't even know. My heart was racing in my chest, my breaths quick and shallow, but soft and barely audible. Logically I knew that would all stop, soon, but I didn't fully believe it; I hadn't internalised it yet. Perhaps that was for the best. If Eae knew what was about to happen, she'd surely wake and take control. That reminded me...

Vigil spoke, drawing my attention back to the moment, giving me a final farewell.

"I... may not remember this when I wake." I warned him softly, my voice trembling almost uncontrollably, "be patient with me, I will remember in time, and make sure you are paid."

His hand moved to my back, under my wings. Whereas moments ago his touch had been powerful and commanding, now, he was gentle and tender, almost like a lover. It helped to soothe the racing mind that threatened to melt away into panic at any moment. I was grateful, even as the terror surged through my core, I was grateful for this comforting touch.

He raised his blade, placing the tip of the metal beneath my breast, holding it there a moment as a wave of goosebumps radiated across my flesh. My body couldn't even process the violent energy coursing through me right now. My heart was in my throat, blood pounding in my ears. The very thing I sought to prevent was rushing up to greet me. My own baptism by blood.

I turned my eyes up to his,seeking comfort within that steeled gaze. This was the hardest part. I had to completely trust him, completely give in, completely surrender to him. The swirling, overwhelming terror was, in a strange way, intoxicating almost; it consumed my entire being.

I swallowed.

Then he plunged the blade in.

There wasn't even any pain at first. I gasped, but mostly from the start of the sudden movement. The first I felt of the blade, actually, was my gasp feeling suddenly as if it hit a wall, like my lungs couldn't inflate properly. The pain came a moment later, a white hot, agonising sting. It burned and shook me, a violent, tearing agony that sapped away all of my strength in an instant. It was as if all at once, my entire body was on fire, every fibre, ever nerve, shrieking and crying out to live as all at once I felt myself dying.

He spoke again, softly, comforting me, an anchor in the horrifying tempest.

My own fingers curled at his chest weakly, my last ounce of strength spent reaching for him, seeking more of that comfort. My lips parted to reply, but no sound came out. I couldn't breathe, I couldn't speak, I couldn't wheeze or gasp or even sputter. There was a saltiness on my tongue, wetness on my lip. Blood, maybe? The edges of my vision had begun to fade, my fingers growing stiff, a coldness creeping over me like a blanket.

"V-Vigil..." I'm not even sure if I managed to speak his name.

Something shifted, perhaps he was lowering me to the ground? I could feel everything fading, myself, my will to care, the pain. I was glad the pain was going. The Kavosh and his surprising comfort remained the one pleasant thing in these moments, and I kept him in my vision as much as I could. I wanted to thank him, properly.

Then... it all went black.

Instantly, I knew something was wrong.

Something was different. There was a blackness in my mind, a fuzziness. I tried to open my eyes, but they seemed reluctant to do so. Why... why did I feel so strange? Like... I was... off somehow? There was... a sensation across my face, like the warmth of a morning sun but... different. Was it burning? Well no, not quite, but it was unpleasant.

Finally, my eyes fluttered open.

I was in a cabin. Sunlight streamed through cracks between wooden boards across the windows. I tried to lift my head, but it felt heavy. No, not heavy... stiff. Everything felt stiff. Panic began to rise in my chest. Why did everything feel so off? I tilted my head to one side. Feathers. Oh good, I still had my wings. I drew in a deep breath to try and summon the strength to lift my head.

Oh god no.

It felt... like my lungs had been replaced by a bellows. I could draw air into them, but it didn't flow into me. I raised a hand and placed it over my breast.

No heartbeat.

A jolt of utter terror shot through me.

"What the fuck have you done." I whispered.

I wasn't sleeping. More so just drifting. My mind wondering from thought to thought. No notion of time, nor acceptance of sleep. My thoughts upon Eae? Strange and unique, I wondered how someone such as her, could be desiring so dearly, the death of herself. To become a Lich. A being that was stuck between the realms of life and death. While she would not live forever, the spell would wipe from her. Slowly over the years, it would wane. Eventually ceasing. I am sure she could just as easily recreate the ritual to apply a new layer to herself, but that would be long after I have passed on.

She would have hardly aged a day, while I would grow old, weaken and leave my prime. If she was living that long, I hoped to be able to see her again at some point. Catch up on something that I had worked on. Even if it was considered illegal, or looked down upon by many.

I could feel myself drifting away into the darkness. The weak body I had, and the expanding of energy I had used to aid her, hit me like a horse in full sprint. I yawned ever so slightly, even excusing myself when it wasn't needed. Drifting to sleep. I dreamed not. I felt nothing. Just blackness. While I might have had a moment where my memory lapsed, I found my body sore and depraved of food, and water.

Opening my eyes to see that the window had a slight orange and red tint of the rising sun. Stretching, I yawned once more. However, I started to hear shuffling. Looking over to where it was coming from, I found that the wings upon the ground were moving. The mass under the blanket was moving and shifting. I slowly stood up. Remembering ever so slightly that Eae had said that she might not remember when she woke. I heard a whispering of her voice. She was awake.

Moving over to her, I avoided her wings with my feet. Kneeling down and grabbed the draped cloth over her body. Only pulling enough to reveal her face and a small portion of her shoulders. Seeing that she was awake, I nodded my head to her.

"Look like the ritual went without a hitch. Come on, lets get you up off of this floor and into some clean clothes."

I would allow her to keep the blanket on her. Standing up, I offered her a hand to help her to her feet.

"Do you remember anything of last night Eae?"

• Yay