Private Tales A Bounty of Opportunity

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Acteon Cass

Character Biography
Link
War was ever raging. In some part of the world there was conflict taking place at all times. It was as inevitable as the tides. Where peace settled in one land war began in another. Blood flowed freely. Coin flowed even more so. A sellsword and merchant could make a fortune if only they knew where to look.

Acteon had the privilege of having both senses. So it was no small wonder when he inevitably ran across an opportunity in the form of a bounty. It would seem a rebellion was taking place in some land he was only vaguely familiar with. While the kingdom seemed to be winning, it had become a war of attrition for the local lord. The rebels would lose outright battles, but the soldiers would often lose their baggage trains. Ambushes were becoming more frequent and devastating for patrols. Slowly one drop of blood at a time the strength of the loyalist army was being bled out by the rebels. And it was all due to the person who's description was on the bounty in Acteon's hand.

A small fortune to any who could bring this leader in as well as favor of the local lord. As tempting as the coin may be, he was more interested in the favor. Being on the good side of a king or noble and having them owing you was a more valuable asset if one had political plans for the future than any reward of gold from a bounty. It could open up many options for the clever.

But he might not claim the bounty at all either. There was no sense on getting on the good side of a king who might have no crown on his head or throne beneath his rump because he was on the losing side of an internal power conflict. Should these rebels look to be the victor then introducing himself to their leader and aiding them a bit could prove the better option when it came to favors and profit.

Finding out which outcome was the best for him was why Acteon decided to set out from his home in Alliria to this land.

==========================================

Walking into the bar, the Allirian looked around. A few other sellswords and bounty hunters seemed to have already begun the hunt to claim the rebel leader's head. But they were having a hard time. He knew they would. The bounty only provided a rough description and a name. No drawn likeness. Tough information to go off of as anyone could change their name and the description was vague enough it could apply to even a few of those gathered let alone the locals. Most had no idea where to begin their search or had already resorted to asking everyone if they knew the person from the bounty.

This bounty was going to prove to be tricky.

Acteon swaggered his way over to an empty table and waited for the tavern maid to make her way to him. As he did his eyes idly scanned the place further for any potential clues. The words of those gathered picked through by his sensitive ears for any hint. None so far. Just idle chatter of past glory in battle or bedding of some lucky soul. Even some rather blunt flirting. Typical for a place such as this.

When the maid finally did arrive, Acteon would smile to her in a friendly fashion. "Good evening my lovely lass. I would like a pint or glass of your specialty drink and hopefully some company. Seems to be a lot going on and I would appreciate hearing about it. Even willing to pay for your time." He would flash a gold coin to emphasis his seriousness.

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"Good evening my lovely lass. I would like a pint or glass of your specialty drink and hopefully some company. Seems to be a lot going on and I would appreciate hearing about it. Even willing to pay for your time."
"Lovely lass.... that's a new one and company? you want my company because of the local information flying around? I can tell you that as much use as I am, I can not just give up information because of some else's payment. Telling tales that aren't mine is a quick way to end up died and I rather like my life." said the maiden as she raised an eyebrow. Who was this man to just waltz into the bar and proclaim a conversation with her... maybe that was what so intriguing to her.
As he flashed gold coins to her she folded her arms.... did he think he could buy her or something? "keep your coins, as good measure I will converse with you and even give you a drink on the house. It what we do for first-time guests and so it is what I will do for you. I am intrigued to know some answers to some of my own questions... so I will allow a conversation depending on the subject matter. don't let me down..." the maiden said with a slight smirk before stalking off to request a special house drink.
Moments would pass and the maiden would make her way back to the table the intriguing fellow was at. What truly did he want from her? whatever it was she was about to find out. She sat down a wooden mug and then took a seat herself. "the drink that sits before you is honeyed ale, a local favorite. Also sorry for not giving an introduction sooner but my name is Valerie... Heir of the dragon but that is another story in itself." Spoke Valerie as she felt as if she overspoke but didn't much care. She was proud of knowing her history... of having some of her memories restored and she would be that much closer to restoring her family honor and glory... whatever that may be.

• Popcorn
Reactions: Acteon Cass
The coin was rejected but the requests were not. While a good turn of events for him, it did get a slight raise from his brow. The smile, however, never did move. The tavern maid went to get him that drink after agreeing to speak with him. As she walked away, he made sure to eye her behind. Partly it was for his own amusement. A plump rump was always savory after all. Mostly however it was to keep up appearances. Best way to blend in a room full of cocky mercenaries was to oogle the poor working girl.

A mug was before him with her return, and the scent told him what it was before her words. Honeyed ale. A popular drink in some parts of the Reach as well. He picked it up and smiled to her. Raising it in thanks before it went to his lips. As he took his drink she introduced himself and the comment about being the heir of the dragon got his interest. Was she jesting? A flight of fantasy? Unknown, but also not relevant to his current mission.

After setting down his mug, he spoke. "I am Acteon, and as I said I wanted to speak with you about the current state of your kingdom. This many sellswords, mercenaries, and bounty hunters without work in one place is, unusual. A war about to break out or are they all here for that rather vague bounty?"

He went to take another drink but stopped himself. Then he added, "Speaking of the bounty. What got such a price on their head? Must have been impressive and costly for your king."

Then he took his drink.

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"I am Acteon, and as I said I wanted to speak with you about the current state of your kingdom. This many sellswords, mercenaries, and bounty hunters without work in one place is, unusual. A war about to break out or are they all here for that rather vague bounty? Speaking of the bounty. What got such a price on their head? Must have been impressive and costly for your king."

"My kingdom? you keep on referring to it as my kingdom and I must disagree with you there. Although I call Valoria my home, it's also the people's home and as you can see the king who sits on the throne, has not done his job properly." Valerie said sitting back in her chair sighing. "As for the people who inhabit this tavern, all of them have a different story... most of them are fighting in the war. Some are trying to find the king... Or Queen of rebels, so that they may shoot whoever it is down. Other's are just here because they've finished a hard day's work. I don't know all their stories, only my own. As for the bounty, as I said earlier, there looking for the leader of the rebels, and no I don't know who they are." Valerie said looking to the side as she didn't want to look the traveler in his face.

She knew almost everything about the war because she was a part of it, but dead men never told any tales. Valerie finally looked at Acteon and then lean forward. "Alright, my turn traveler," Valerie said giving him a nickname that well suited him. "Why does the war of Valoria's heart matter to you so much? from what you wear and the way you speak, I can tell that you aren't from here but that didn't stop you from coming. So what is it that you are looking for?" Valerie asked straightforwardly as she didn't want any third parties messing up her plans for the king.

Valerie was the leader of the rebels, but she had ever bounty on her fooled. She worked as a maiden and knew how to manipulate her audience. Many had died for her but she wouldn't stop until she was crowned and sitting on the Valorian throne. She gave hints to the traveler of who she really was but knew how to lie her way out of anything if necessary. she has had a plan for everything and if the man who called himself Acteon had plans to step on her plans, she would have to find a way to end his life rather quickly. When it came to the game of war, Valerie was a monster but if she wasn't how would the people win anything like knocking the tyrant king off his throne.

• Popcorn
Immediately the woman's response was telling Acteon plenty. Clearly she was in support of the rebels but could not be open with it. A dagger always waited in the shadows for someone to speak openly against kings and leaders during times like this. She was wise to avoid being the back used as a sheathe for that blade.

But what got his attention the most was when she mentioned the leader of the rebels as a king or queen. It was especially telling that she mentioned queen as an option. A subtle conversation was taking place now and he had already gotten his answer on who he was looking for.

Acteon drank as his lovely company began to ask her own questions. She pointed out how he was foreign and inquired about his interest. What was he looking for? Well the answer was that he believed he had already found it, but there was no need to speak that answer out loud. If she wished to remain secretive and subtle then so would he.

A smile crossed his face. "I am here because of this bounty and what it means politically. A rebel leader with such a large, open bounty on their head? So much potential for some many things. Especially when no one seems to agree on who this leader is or what they look like."

He shifted in his seat a bit as he focused his attention on the woman more. A slight edge like that of a stalking predator seemed to grow around him. "As for why this interests me personally, perhaps I sympathize with this rebel. Perhaps I have a similar struggle being worked upon back home and am seeking an ally. Perhaps I wish to offer aid in return for favors."

And then it all vanished. He was back to being in a more casual and relaxed mood. "Or perhaps that is all lies designed to cleverly draw out this rebel leader so I may claim this grandiose bounty upon their head. What I can say for certain is that I am rather interested in my current, lovely company."

Acteon leaned forward with a wolfish smirk on his face. In a lowered voice he said, "Perhaps we could find somewhere private to get to know each other better?"

Valerie areis Lenaeris

Valerie sat there clearly impressed that the man would take a bite at her mysteriousness but it wasn't enough to draw her out and wasn't enough to let her guard down. It would be incredibly dishonest to say Valoria was filled with bad kinds of people, but every kingdom had those parts.

"Perhaps we could find somewhere private to get to know each other better?"

At this she chuckled and then sighed "Here I am sitting thinking things couldn't only get more comedic... but your timing is just too good. tell me, are you jest?" Valerie asked rhetorically before leaning forward once more. "I mean, It's hard getting even a chuckle out of me, and yet here you are doing just that."

She thought herself for a moment and then looked into Acteon's eye. "and what if this is a plan to draw me out?" Val asked as she was done playing a game of charades and could tell the fellow before she was not one to go against. For he would have don't it by now and if he was that type of person, well Valerie would have to find another way to satisfy herself while taking his life. "Fine, hand over the bag of coins and I will let you use up my time. But fair warning, I like to have a bit of fun. So what do you say... traveler... ready for a little show and tell?" Valerie asked ever so closely before pulling away.

She was definitely the type of woman, that saw what she wanted and knew how she would get, and she definitely didn't hold back. I guess it was what made her stand out from all the rest of the women of that era. Most were meek and shy around men, always wanting a prince to come to save them but Valerie never got that concept. why wait for someone or something to do a job she could do herself?

Valerie saw the world for what it was and life could be cut short in less than the rhythm of a heartbeat. So she's lived and when her time ran out, she would die happy that she lived her life while others were too scared to do the same.

"Meet me upstairs in one of the tavern rooms, and don't follow right after me. wait a few minutes or you will draw eyes. Then the bounty hunters will know something is up." Valerie said before standing up and walking to the counter of the tavern bar before making her way to the stairs and up to a room where Acteon could see from his seat. She looked back at him and winked before entering the empty tavern room. Guest sometimes stayed in the tavern for they were too drunk to leave or were new to town but it was also a perfect place where no one could disturb a private conversation.

• Smug
That wolfish smirk never left his lips. Acteon was enjoying himself right now. They were playing a little game and he had always enjoyed this sort of one. Certainly they both knew what the other was really saying to each other, but still could not let strangers in on the fun. So it must all stay hidden behind their odd banter.

When she asked him if he was a jest, he had an immediately reply. "As much of a jester as your king." A bit bold of him to say, but no one could hear their conversation currently over the sounds of the room. Busy places often made for the most secure spot to host a secret conversation.

Then the topic shifted into seriousness. She repeated back his last comment about drawing her out. Seemed she was done playing. He just continued to smile as he shrugged at her. His opinion was already leaning in one direction currently given what he had seen and heard, but it was not made up yet. Perhaps she could tell and so made her own move by taking up his offer.

His response to her words was to give her a smirk and look filled with a promise of desire and pleasure. The form they would take was not entirely carnal. He slide the pouch of coins over to her as requested and then watched her as she left.

Acteon was feeling excited. This one was proving to be competent and entertaining. Boredom was ever an enemy after all and any ally against it was welcome.... But that could just be his more selfish side surfacing. His goal here was in gaining an ally for the future and he needed to avoid risking that objective. He knew that but also knew that a little indulgence could yield unexpected results as well. It was just a matter of seeing where this happened to take him. It was all speculation until the dice stopped rolling after all.

To buy himself some time, Acteon finished off his drink and idly listened about the room. Nothing of interest or note came up. It was all the same chit chat from before. Nothing new. That was until after a couple of minutes past and a pair of sellswords broke out in a drunken brawl over one of the serving girls who was not interested in either of them.

Seeing his opening with a distraction, Acteon slipped out of his seat and went up the stairs to the room he had seen his companion enter. He knocked and said in a voice low enough she could hear but no one else, "It is Acteon. May I enter?"

Valerie areis Lenaeris

Valerie hadn't been waiting long before she heard a rumble downstairs and Acteon's voice at her door. She smiled to herself as she wondered how he pulled that kind of trick off, but then again it wasn't too hard to sneak around. Val opened the door and let Acteon in only to close it behind her before anyone could get a view of her and Acteon. "Starting fights downstairs to sneak away to see me? How kind of you..." Valerie said sitting at the edge of the bed in a relaxing position before gesturing toward a chair nearby. "might as well make yourself comfortable. It seems you aren't going anywhere any time soon." Val said with a smirk.

She laid back on the bed looking up to the ceiling letting her back rest and her mind wonder as she listened for a question or a topic starter. Valerie hadn't rested in days, but who could sleep when war was so close to their door.

"you know, you've told me about why you visiting but I wonder... why do you sympathize with the rebel leader more than the king? I mean she... or he has seen a lot of good people die, even killed many people themselves, and yet you sympathize with the cause of the war. If I may be so blunt... what is your motive?" Valerie asked out the small curiosity in her mind. She wasn't always so curious as nothing had piqued her interest, but when it came to people searching for her, well she couldn't help but be interested.

She thought of herself as nothing interesting. A nobody trying to claim her birthright, but so many had put their faith in her. A young woman who didn't think of herself as much of a leader, only that she dreamed of leading and now she had.

• Bless
The woman seemed to think that the brawl was his doing and Acteon was more than happy to let her to continue thinking that. Not a lie so much as not correcting a mistake. The door was shut behind him quickly and it made him curious as to why she was trying to avoid them being spotted together. Certainly he knew she was this rebel leader after her hints, but was there another danger he was unaware of watching her?

He would find out sooner or later. For now he focused on what was before him and that proved to be an attractive woman laying down upon the bed.

Acteon made sure the door was locked quietly so no one outside would notice. Then he moved over to the wall next to the bed and leaned against it. His gaze was directed towards her as he stood with her in silence for a moment. She seemed as if she could use some rest and giving her a moment to breath might win him more trust and a better outcome than pestering her right away.

Then came her question. Still a bit of an attempt to hide that she was the leader in question, but he just let that detail pass by. Not important at the moment. The important part was her questioning his motive for coming here and sympathizing with the rebels. Should he answer her? His eyes settled on her face as he decided.

"My family is ancient and respected. Merchants that have been merchant lords in the past. Being from Alliria that makes us akin to nobles in other places.... And yet corruption has gotten out of hand in the city. My father defeated one of the acting merchant council members in gaining a lucrative contract, so this official with their allies on the council brought up false charges against my father and dismantled our company. Our property was seized and he was left without a single coin on the streets. I plan to get my revenge and do something about this corruption rotting away the very foundations of Alliria and the politics of the Reach. But to do that I need allies. I came here to see if one could be found."

Acteon grew quiet now. The memories of what was done to his family boiled his rage. The fantasies of what he would do to his enemies fueled his desires. For a few moments he indulged himself in it, but then brought it back under control. There would be a time and place to unleash them and it was not here nor now.

"So that is why I sympathize with this rebel leader. I do not know what has been taken from them but I can understand that desire to right the wrongs brought about upon their people. All of Alliria suffers from the corruption not just my kin."

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"Alliria? what a beautiful name? a place I haven't seen on a map but then again every map is different, and sometimes the prettiest things are hidden in plain sight." Valerie said as she sat up looking at Acteon and then away again. "the rebel leader has lost much, I should know because everything she has lost... I have lost as well. Good people, family, heir to my own throne. All because of a secret marriage, a coven between two secret lovers from different ranks and different worlds." Val said standing and walking to a window so that she may look outside.

"I'm the rebellious queen, you seek but I have nothing as of now to my name. It's hard fighting the legion but It is what I must do, it is my destiny as a dragon born." Valerie explained as she let her mind wander through her broken memories. "you know, once upon a time... I use to know only my name. All the memories I held of my heritage and past were gone, fractured from my mind... spread into the darkness of oblivion. Then I found a trigger point... my first kill." Valerie said telling her tale.

"It was when I saw the blood of a legion solider spill out onto the white snow, that I remembered so clearly what my destiny was."

"I was shocked but it felt good driving my small dagger into the neck of the ruthless guard. Then my world changed and it didn't become just about me and my birthright but about my people. A Tyrant named Ulric takes a seat on my throne and I vow to the ends of the Valoria... even the end of time... that I will have his head." Val said turning to Acteon.

"then you show up and claim that you are looking for me, even more so, an alliance that will help your own fractured kingdom. I can't promise you that Alliria will be restored with the strength that I have now but I can promise if you help me take back my throne, that I will use everything within me to restore Alliria." Valerie said setting aside her mask and revealing the truth about her past. It was darker than what she had already explained but she tried not scaring off her company.

During her tale, she had moved forward getting within reach of Acteon letting her hand rest on his chest now. "Everyone want's my head but I will not let my head leave my body before I dismember Ulric himself. And you? what do you want?" Valerie made another vale of her vows before asking the question she had asked so many times. Why did she keep asking what the traveler wanted? It was simple, beneath every answer ran something deeper and she could feel a fire of anger burning like a dragon's breathe within Acteon.

• Thoughtful
Acteon had told his tale, or at least the parts relevant to his current ambitions, to her and it in turn seemed to spark within a desire to share her own. It was both familiar yet unique. Many a lord and lady had lost their throne to secret arrangements going on behind their backs and bloody affairs of power. That part was familiar enough to him in his line of work. The unique part was her mention of the lose of her memory and what ultimately brought it back. What was taken by the spilling of blood was brought back by the spilling of blood as well.

He listened closely to every detail as she spoke. Any single part of it could prove useful to him later on. But as he listened it helped him make up his mind on what he hoped to gain from this land. The rebels and this woman Valerie were the most likely to support him in the future. A king who claims there throne through trickery and blood was likely to stab you in the back the moment you left it to them.

Despite the offer that the woman made, Acteon was not sure if it would be enough. He wanted more than just a promise. He needed more than just a promise. This land was filled with enemies for her after all so the price she would have to pay for an ally was going to be high. He planned to collect that price, but now they both needed to set it.

And then she asked him yet again what he wanted. It was different this time. Before she was asking for his motivation. This time she was asking for his price. A wolfish smile crossed his lips. This was exactly what he wanted to hear, and she was even pressing a hand against his chest.

The Allirian took her hand in one of his own and closed the distance between them. He slide an arm around her waist to draw her in even closer. His gaze met her own. His inner desires could not be masked. He leaned in as he said, "I want many things. Power. Wealth. Securing my family's future. But none of that is important right now. What is important is what do you wish for, my Queen?"

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"I want many things. Power. Wealth. Securing my family's future. But none of that is important right now. What is important is what do you wish for, my Queen?

"Everything..." Valerie said shortly as the distance closed between them.

"There's no specific thing that I long for. Well, my throne, but a Queen doesn't need a throne to rule. A crown doesn't make royalty, neither does blood... only the people." Val explained her reason of thinking. Most would label her ambitious and Valerie couldn't entirely disagree but her ambitious way wasn't without logic.

"If you ask me that question again, I might say that what is about to happen next would satisfy me," Valerie said as she closed the distance between their lips and kissed the charming traveler.

Valerie didn't usually kiss strangers but the timing seemed right and plus she wasn't a slow romantic person. She hated the idea of love and so she didn't label their kiss or even what happened in the next moments love at least not yet. Val knew that Love didn't come from moments of pleasure but moments of pleasure were the offspring of passion and love. She didn't love Acteon, not yet, but the passion was there and passion bordered the line of love.

• Smug
A land on the brink of open civil war, or perhaps at the opening stages of it, with a young woman seeking to reclaim her rightful throne. A king who had turned tyrant and found a creative way to hinder the movement of his enemy with a vague bounty. This place was on the cusp of flooding their fields with blood....

And yet here Acteon was with that rightful Queen alone. His arm around her waist and his hand holding her own. It was the kind of scene bards would tell. A hero coming to save his destined love! Yet that was far from the truth. She was beautiful, that could not be denied, but there was no love here. He was no hero. He was a rogue, a sellsword, a merchant's son, a former soldier and guard. He was here with the purpose of taking everything he could.

And right now he wanted to give into this moment of passion. In the past he would hold back and control himself more. But far too many events had changed him. He realized that control had proven a mistake. Passion and desire, if properly enacted, could gain him far more than denial. He wanted an ally that would not stab him in the back. She wanted a moment with someone that was not after her life. This would benefit them both equally.

So Acteon accepted that kiss and pressed in harder. He would give her everything he had. He would giver her everything she wanted. He would give now for soon it would be time for him to take what he was owed and what he deserved. But for now he had yet to earn any of it.

The Allirian slide his hands to her hips. Firmly he gripped as he pressed her to the wall....

And then it all faded to the black.........

Valerie areis Lenaeris

Just as quick as everything faded to black, the scene smoothly faded back in... revealing the aftermath of couple.

Clothing was thrown and sprawled every where in the room, and the sheets of the bed were rumpled and wrinkled but still covered up Valerie and Acteon as they now snuggled close together.

Valeie was toying with her own hair as she laid for a moment, letting the silence with soft sounds of the tavern bar below fill the room. Her breathing had adjusted back to normal and Val even found herself a little bit tired but she still had one more conversation left in her before her body would give away to rest.

She shifted once more laying her left cheek against Acteon's chest before a topic of conversation came to her mind. "Ulric.... if you've ever seen the things his done. You would know why I hate him so much." Val said softly as a tale had struck within her. "If I'm being honest, I haven't been entirely honest with you but that's because I haven't know you for long but when you look at Ulric's face you will see similaires between me and him. Why? Because his my older brother. First born, but abandon because of his destiny. My father always consuled the three fate sisters. past... present... and future. Though they didn't reveal much, the information that was told was enough to send my father into a rage." Valerie explained not wanting to feel an ounce of sympathy for her tyrant of a brother but understood what made him a tyrant.

Ulric had no family to love, while Valerie had everything. She couldn't begin to imagine the anger her brother felt when he was told the truth about his heritage.

Val knew he was so anger that he had his adoptive parents beheaded for treason and then there was the fact that still remain that she was the mouse and his catty game.

"Oh... he hated me so much. I had everything, I was a stupid bratty princess than and thought everything belong to me but then Ulric came in and stole everything. My throne, My parents life..... my memories. All gone in a blink of an eye. That day was remembered as the Ball of Blood. That's why I fight more for the people than myself. Yes I want everything but it means nothing if I don't have my peoples support." Valerie explained as she let her finger draw imaginary circles on Acteon's chest.

"I have been humiliated, beaten, defiled, and tortued but do you want to know what kept me standing? My people. The slaves that get whipped, will be set free. The kids that have no food will be feed. And no one will ever steal from the poor again. That is why, I must kill my brother Ulric and end his tyrannical reign." Valerie said as anger boiled inside her like dragon fire.

"If it is the last thing I do, on this earth. I will kill my bastard of a brother." Val said revealing her actual vow. Yes she had made vows here and there but none of them could compete with her main goal. Her main mission. "He will know my wrath"

After taking the time to vigorously relax, Acteon was laying under the covers with this rightful Queen (or so she claimed) laying on his chest. She was much shorter than him so it would have been somewhat comical and cute if a third party could view them right now. But that was not possible and the topics of their conversation, which could finally begin in earnest, was anything but comical and cute.

She decided to tell him her story. An adopt brother turned betrayer seizing the throne out of some sense of spite for not being related by blood. Her losing everything to it and now her desire to take it back. Her motivations being equal parts revenge and altruistic.

He could not connect with that altruism. If one was seeking the throne it should be for oneself and aiding the people in bettering their lives was simply practical. They allowed everything to function and the wealthier and happier you could make your people the more of that wealth and happiness that would funnel back to you. More radical and selfish policies could go into effect and be forgiven. More support in seeing your goals achieved out of some sense of loyalty and love towards their ruler. Being a leader of a kingdom that passed on its power by virtue of blood and heritage should always be self interested least it collapse out from under itself. The people were tools and resources to maintain like any other. The people were the means by which you got what you wanted.

Fundamentally it seemed the pair were at odds on that altruistic side of things, but not when it came to the concept of revenge. That he could full endorse and support. Her brother had turned on his family, adopted or not. He deserved to have everything stripped from him and she deserved to be the one to plunge that final blade into his heart.

Hands roaming to places they should not under the covers, Acteon refocused on the task at hand and away from fantasies of future revenge.

"And where might you be currently in executing your plans? Your brother has you pinned with all these hired blades about and I doubt you have the funds to outbid him for their service. How many are backing your cause? How many are nobles and how many commoners? Do you have a secure stream of supplies or are you relying on stealing his baggage trains as I have heard you have been? How much territory to you currently control? How organized and professional are your forces?"

There was even more questions Acteon wished to ask. His instincts as a sellsword for gauging manpower and his instincts as a merchant for gauging logistics demanded more information and answers. If he was truly going to place her on the throne he needed to make sure she was not at risk of collapse when she did so. He also needed to ensure she was in a position to actually win rather than just bravely rebel before starvation and fear broke her ranks and got a dagger in her back.

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"And where might you be currently in executing your plans? Your brother has you pinned with all these hired blades about and I doubt you have the funds to outbid him for their service. How many are backing your cause? How many are nobles and how many commoners? Do you have a secure stream of supplies or are you relying on stealing his baggage trains as I have heard you have been? How much territory to you currently control? How organized and professional are your forces?"

Valerie rolled on her back now looking up at the ceiling as so many questions attacked her at once. Most would be in high distress in her position but she wasn't for it was like playing a game of chess, and in the game of chess, or at least her version, she took out the bigger opponents before flicking off the little ones.

"Right now, I'm ambushing all of my brother's trade since I was able to collect his trading log of supplies that come in. I've tried Assassinating him but even the world's greatest assassin could take down his right-hand man and guard, Ali. Rumor has it, his right-hand man holds some mystical power. So I had to reframe from gathering the attention of Ali because once he catches on to a trace... well death looms over your head." Valerie explained trying to break it all down into bits and pieces.

"you're right about my brother hiring daily blades but I've outsmarted most of them and the ones who have found me... well all they found was a swift death. As for people backing my cause, Valoria wasn't always this formal kingdom. our natives are savages... their call draconian and they're pretty good at staying out of the light. It was only... a few months time ago when I discovered them myself and become their queen after... seducing their king and well... killing him earning my spot as king. In their community, there is no Queen, just a King. Strong always survive and I was able to prove that by killing their King." Valerie said as that was a story for another time. "we find that most of our Dragon born natives, have been enslaved so I've been splitting my numbers so that I can gain more by setting the enslave free. I know risky but I need everything that I can get."

"You asked how many, and I say it depends on the day. Of course, most of the common people are fighting but they also aren't properly trained in the art of fight. Training takes time.... Anyways, none of my nobility are willing to fight because they're closely connected with the royal side of thing and are scared of my brother, the king. I should have their houses burn down but some noble people are just cowards." Valerie explained as she thought so more about his questions. So many to answer and she would answer them all.

"As of supplies, that's where the ambushing is coming. Also, the Savage are teaching us tricks that are proving to be deadly and useful. Not to mention, I had to seduce the general of my brother's army and now I've got him eating out of my hand. He thinks that I will marry him when all this is done but I have only the intention of killing him for his my enemy." Valerie continued on. there was a lot but she tried to summarize where she could.

"As of territory, I have back my brother into the upper-class part of the kingdom. That part is well guard, so I will need to do more work before attempting to break those walls down. Oh and did I mention, I own a dragon that is very hungry and ready to burn things down. Take that as you may. My forces aren't professional but we have a way of doing things that make us as good as any army. Help would be nice but we can manage on our own as well." Valerie finished her report, not really knowing why she was giving this information, and prayed that she didn't have another enemy in her mist. It was a risk telling him these things because he could easily switch sides but if that was to ever happen. hellfire would rain from the sky.

As the woman spoke he began to wonder if she truly understood what her position was. All of it ranged from things being completely underhand and a mystery as to how her brother was not already dead or dethroned to how was a rebellion even functioning. Either the situation was a complete mess or this woman was out of touch with the realities of her situation. The fact she claimed most of the common people were fighting for her cause even if untrained was the hardest for him to grasp on how she had yet to win, especially if she had his ability to resupply blocked off.

She was young so perhaps that explained it. She had seen a side of it but not the whole picture yet. There was even the claim of having a dragon. Yet again if this was true how had she not won yet?

Acteon decided the best way to figure out what was actually happening was to see it for himself. If she had lost her memories while being this young she might not know what to look for in gauging strength. It was something that required equal amounts education and experience to truly understand after all. Things he did have thankfully.

What was impressive and he believed so far was her mention of having seduced some dragon born king and a general. She did have the skills and figure to pull it off, even if she was shorter than what most men liked. Acteon personally was unconcerned with that detail. Height was irrelevant so long as they consented and he got what he wanted from the encounter. So far she was proving both.

"I would like to visit your rebels and see things for myself. Can offer training and advise for your logistics problem. From there I could also help form a plan to begin striking some decisive blows against your brother. If what you were saying is correct then you have more than enough resources to crush him. You will just need some help organizing them."

He looked over at her. Would she accept or would she want some kind of proof of loyalty from him first? Perhaps some task needing done before she lets a potential spy into her camp. Would any of this even be worth his time and effort? Bedding her more would be, but what about the rest? He did not know. Too much was still a mystery for him to properly weigh the costs and profits.

"Anything else you wish to talk about? Wish to play around again or is my time up already?"

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"I would like to visit your rebels and see things for myself. Can offer training and advise for your logistics problem. From there I could also help form a plan to begin striking some decisive blows against your brother. If what you were saying is correct then you have more than enough resources to crush him. You will just need some help organizing them."

"Almost forgot to mention a very important detail. There have been rumors that Ulric has been messing around with the dead. As you've stated, I have enough resources to fight a normal war but this is no normal war, not when dragons and undead armies are involved. It's a lot but that's what war is." Valerie said messing with her hair once more. She thought about his offer of help and even though they had fooled around, she wasn't so quick to trust words more than action.

"Fine, I let you have a seat at my table if you can prove yourself to me. I'll call it The Great Trials Of The Traveler." Valerie wittily named her test of sorts.

"I have an advisor, who has proved worthy enough for his position but I'm willing to put his worthiness to the test. Both of you will advise your own group of people that I will assign. Your challenge, so to speak, will be finding the strongholds of Ali's magic. This is where the undead will spawn if the rumors are true. But before any of that can happen, you and I will scout for the truth of this rumor. This means we will need to sneak into the valorian palace and find Ali's chambers. He's liking to be hiding all of his tricks there." Valerie planned, letting her wheels turn for the next phases of her battle.

"luck for us, my skills of seduction proved useful because I was able to snag the log of the guard's rotation from the general himself. My brother really needs to learn who to trust. Poor souls... smart handsome fellow but dumb as a tree branch." Valerie explained as she chuckled at the thought of the poor General actually wanting to marry her.

"there's a lot of work to do, and if you can prove yourself. Then you might as well advise me in the next stages." Val said snuggling close to Acteon again.

"Anything else you wish to talk about? Wish to play around again or is my time up already?"

"war can get boring to talk about.... but I know a way to fix that," Valerie said as she had lost all of her energy yet. "your time isn't up just yet traveler..."

Valerie pulled the covers over them and everything faded to black again...

The night had past. Dawn and the morning sun had taken its place.

Acteon was still asleep under the covers in the bed. His body did not require as much of it since his curse took hold of his flesh, but there were times he still needed it. This was one of those times. A long night had been had and much had come to pass already.

The Allirian had found himself a new lover, one he planned to remake a Queen. Strange how quickly it all came to pass prompted simply by the promise of a great fortune from a vague bounty. The target of said bounty being the woman who had shared a bed with him that night.

But as restful as it was, he began to wake. The sounds of people busying themselves in their morning routines already drifting in from their window. The tavern below not as silent as it was before. Feet stomping about an empty room as the last bit of tidying was made before the morning crowd of hungry faces arrived to feed themselves before going to their works.

His amber eyes opened to gazing up at the ceiling. He had a quest to do to prove himself, or rather to her supporters, now. So after resisting for a minute, he got himself up out of the bed. Water was splashed over his face and hands cleaned before he redressed in his clothes and armor.

His gaze went to the mirror in the room. Strange how a tavern room contained one. What he saw in it was what he always saw: a man who looked good in armor and a weapon in hand. He took a moment to fix his hair, but eventually forgot about it. More important matters to see to today.

Valerie areis Lenaeris

Valerie shifted a couple of times before softly letting her eyes open, meeting the brightening light of the sun. She turned on her side and watched as her new lover went through his usual morning routine. It was as if he didn't have to think about the things that he was doing, it was all from the memories that were stored deep in his brain, easy to pull out in the mornings. "mmh... an early bird..." Valerie softly chuckled before sliding up into a sitting place herself.

She wasn't yet ready to start her morning routine but after a moment of letting her senses come into full play, she swiftly left the bed. Valerie walked over to the mirror where her lover stood and looked upon Acteon's reflection. She wondered what he saw, for she could see a man with many deep experiences hidden beneath the surface. Val was going to say something witty but the sound of paper slipping under the door came swiftly to her ear.

She focused her gaze on the paper and then went to pick it up. As soon as she saw the seal on the envelope, disgust and even some anger boiled within her. She open the envelope taking out a letter which could only be addressed to her.

"Dear Sister Val,

I've searched everywhere for you. I've tortured many and yet found no answers of where you would reside. Then it occurred to me, you've been right in front of my face the whole time. Working as one of those, petty bar maiden. I have to say, perfect disguise but you must have known one day it would fail or rather I would see right through it.

It's alright, my guards have surrendered your little tavern, as you read this. Amazing how power works when you have it and know how to use it.

You may have been a princess but you will never be a leader. So sister, ask yourself are you ready to come to terms with your failure? We could have been a family, of course, I would have married you off but I wouldn't have had to kill you off.

No matter, Ali has been a great help and your rebellion ends here. Oh and don't worry about the general, I've sent him to the depth of hell and the mysterious ink that you read on this page is from his own blood.

See you soon my horrid sister and that traveler of yours.

your beloved brother,

Ulric Lenaeris"

Valerie dropped the letter as her mind went into a new mode that Acteon had never seen before. She walked to the wall that still held the dagger she had flung after cutting off her corset. Val quickly withdrew the dagger and looked at the mirror with a sharp gaze. "He's watching us..." Val said before using her incredible aim, using the dagger to shatter the glass of the mirror.

Her senses were right, on the other side of the mirror stood Ali, the battle mage who worked closely with Ulric. "You have such a powerful sister. I wouldn't underestimate her, your majesty." Ali said his deep dark dulcet tone ring out into the king's ear. Ulric simply smiled thinking about how trapped his sister must feel. "Oh... but she hasn't seen real power, until now." Ulric laughed.

Meanwhile, at the tavern, Black suited guards began forming a circle around the tavern. Valerie on the other hand quickly placed on her clothes and returned the dagger to her hand. Her snow blonde hair was wild but still stylish and Murder had filled her eyes.

Once his newest lover was up and about, Acteon was thinking of asking her what she would want for breakfast. He never got the chance. Steps outside their door was followed by a piece of paper being slipped under the door. Even before he opened it up he could already smell the blood mixed with the ink. He frowned. She likely did too after reading the note.

Her words confirmed what he had already begun to suspect given the flashy nature of things. She broke the mirror in the room and he frowned more. Magic. By Alliria he hated magic users. They complicated things too much, especially the ones who did indirect acts such as raising the dead and looking through mirrors.

The Allirian slipped his way over to the window staying out of sight from those on the ground and peered out of it. Armored guards were beginning to encircle the place. To be this quick about things the magician must have been spying on them all night. Seemed someone now owed a debt to them for the peep show. A debt he planned to collect personally.

But for now something had to be done. He doubted they had the most accurate description of himself and mostly would be watching for her. Which meant watching for a woman with snow blonde hair. He could work with that.

"Val, find as much black ink and charcoal as you can. We need to dye your hair." Acteon said as he kept his eye on their movements outside. "And please hurry. I would rather not fight and kill your future subjects if it can be avoided."

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"what? no... there's a simple way of doing this." Valerie said trying to convince herself it wasn't a good idea as her mind began to formulate a plan. "dying my hair black won't help us, my brother is too smart for that and Ali has already caught onto my scent. That old trick won't even be able to fool anyone." Valerie said flipping the dagger in her hand.

{A wolf would chew its own leg off if it was stuck. If a dragon was stuck, what would that dragon do?} Val thought to herself and then sighed as an answer appeared. "fire! I know a passageway out of here, but we will also need to keep the guards distracted while we make a clean and clear escape." Valerie said, the wheels turning in her head. As much as she hated dying her hair, the only way to keep them from taking a second glance at her would be to through off what they were looking for.

{It will just wash off...} Valerie thought to herself as her hair was something she loved to keep maintain. Although she was a warrior, she still was the princess of Valoria... for now anyway.

Luckily there was a full bottle of ink sitting on the bedside table. Without a moment of hesitation, Valerie opened it and began coloring her hair a shadowy black. "If I can't get this out, I will hurt you," Valerie commented, not an ounce of jest in her voice. Her anger wasn't towards Acteon but more towards her brother. She honestly didn't expect him not to find her, it was bound to happen at some point. After adding color to her hair which brought out an ocean blue in her eyes, she slowly made her way to the door and pressed her ear up to it listening for sounds down below.

"three guards downstairs... One... no two upstairs. Light armor... light weighted weapons" Valerie said letting her senses pick up on the scene behind the door. How was she able to do such a thing? the answer was simple, ever since she had begun training... she trained harder than most, unlocking skills that not even her mentor possessed. They said it was a gift of being the daughter of the great dragon and she didn't believe them until it had finally come into good use.

"I know you said that you don't want to fight, but these aren't my people. If they would raise their sword to their future Queen, then these aren't good men to have around in the future of Valoria." Valerie explained as she looked back at Acteon and then nodded. "let's try not to draw attention from the outside. We will have to be swift and silent killers. I will find a match or something and set this tavern on fire. It will cause chaos giving us a clear exit. Yes, it puts people in harm's way but I believe my people are strong enough to handle the flames and it's the only way we will survive to save them from my tyrant brother." Val spoke once more, letting Acteon in on her plan.

"So are you ready?" Valerie said her hand on the nob of the door.

"You will never escape a tenacious hunter. But you can buy enough time to turn the tables on them." Acteon replied from the window as he continued to watch the guards. They were more focused on encircling the building than with actually storming it. A good sign for their escape. He assumed she had a hidden exit somewhere if she was staying here.

"Guards are not the most clever group. I use to be one. I am aware how most think. They will be focused on their task of finding a snow blonde woman of royalty not on finding a black haired whore who got fucked good that night. You will be fine so long as you do not try to order them around."

He was being frank with her, but now was no time to be mindful of his words. Better she get it in her head what they will perceive of her if she changes her hair color than to let her go about this blind. What was more concerning to him was her first instinct following her figuring out how many guards were inside of the establishment. She wanted to kill them all and burn the place to the ground.

The Allirian finally looked over at the woman. He moved to rejoin her while keeping hidden from outside eyes. He grabbed her shoulders and turned her to face him. A hand took her chin and he made sure she was looking up at him as he looked down upon her. A very serious and genuine look was in his eyes.

"People fight for coin or to keep what is their's their's. Rarely is it about the person they are fighting for or against. Killing them for just trying to survive will make you as much of a tyrant as your brother. Be smarter about this. I know you are."

Acteon let go of her chin.

"And burning down the tavern is the worst idea. Draws too much attention and is wasteful. The owner will be impacted as will the regular customers. Someone has to pay for the place to be rebuilt, if it even is rebuilt. Are you going to pay for that? What about the lose of income while it is being rebuilt as well as all the goods and supplies within it? Will you cover those costs as well? The regulars might rely on the place for food and drinks and a room for the night. Where will they turn if the tavern is gone? Will they even come back to it after? No. It impacts the economy of the people too much if you burn it down. And it will only foster ill will because of that towards you for bringing your conflict to them."

The Allirian got a towel and tried to help with evening out the color and removing the excess ink from her hair. He needed it to pass a quick inspection at the very least convincingly.

"I assume you have a hidden tunnel for us to use. If so a fire will also buy us less time than just leaving the tavern alone. The fire will turn whatever can hide it to ash leaving it exposed and so discovered more easily and sooner. It will require less manpower to uncover it as well. If we leave the building alone then it will stay hidden longer and may go unnoticed altogether. Collapsing the building without burning it would buy the most time but keeping anyone from following us would require the tunnel to be collapsed. Once again you can not hide from a tenacious hunter for long. We should focus on what will buy us the most time in the long run and will have the least impact on your future subjects and their opinion of you."

Valerie areis Lenaeris

"You will never escape a tenacious hunter. But you can buy enough time to turn the tables on them. Guards are not the most clever group. I use to be one. I am aware how most think. They will be focused on their task of finding a snow blonde woman of royalty not on finding a black haired whore who got fucked good that night. You will be fine so long as you do not try to order them around."

Valerie listened to Acteon's chatter and rolled her eyes at the name he used to describe her. {Says the one sleeping around with women. what an ass? what made me fall for him?} Valerie genuinely thought to herself but left that alone as she was used to dealing with men's ugly descriptions of women. She received Acteon's frank words and brushed them off as she had continued to plan.

"People fight for coin or to keep what is their's their's. Rarely is it about the person they are fighting for or against. Killing them for just trying to survive will make you as much of a tyrant as your brother. Be smarter about this. I know you are."

Acteon didn't have to let go of Valerie's chin as she had looked away. She hated that move, another reminder of her overbearing brother. Yet she still said nothing in return to Acteon's ideas as she was more of a listener than a person who loved to argue.

"And burning down the tavern is the worst idea. Draws too much attention and is wasteful. The owner will be impacted as will the regular customers. Someone has to pay for the place to be rebuilt, if it even is rebuilt. Are you going to pay for that? What about the lose of income while it is being rebuilt as well as all the goods and supplies within it? Will you cover those costs as well? The regulars might rely on the place for food and drinks and a room for the night. Where will they turn if the tavern is gone? Will they even come back to it after? No. It impacts the economy of the people too much if you burn it down. And it will only foster ill will..."

Valerie's eyes ignited with a fueled raging fire. "enough Acteon..." Valerie interrupted his speech knowing the point he was trying to make. "I get it, lets not use fire. Put one thing you will learn about me quickly, is I hate when people nag on. You've made a good job, not let's execute it before we get executed."

She hated admitting when she was wrong but she was indeed wrong and took that with a grain of salt. Still, she would continue on. Having the plan in the back of her mind, She finally turned the doorknob and exited. Guard's were walking about but like a charm, none of them focused their attention on Val or Acteon for that matter. They would uncomfortably walk past the stern-looking guard's, making their way downstairs into a dangerous den. Valerie keep her head high acting as if she was a regular bar maiden.

"This search is turning up empty, She might have already fled." One soldier said to another from the upper level. "Well look again, we need to give some worthy news to the king, or that's our head on a platter." The other guard from the upper level said. While the guards had their little discussion, Val continued on the path to the secret passage.

Every little eye roll. Every time she looked away. All the fire in her eyes. This woman was stubborn and had a bit of a temper. A combination that only made sense given she was raised to become a Queen with someone that she surely saw as a commoner was "nagging" at her. He would have felt the same way if he was in her position. But he was not and she needed to let go of that pride before it got them both killed.

"If it will make you feel better then you can slap me once we are free of the guards. Until then do not act like the woman you are but the one they want you to be. Not a strong, intelligent woman but a submissive, witless wench they can squeeze and harass as much as they like. Suffer the shame for now and make your brother pay for it tenfold later on. Your pride is not worth both our lives."

No doubt he would be accused of nagging again, but he did not care. She was going to get her revenge on him later. If she wanted to focus on what he said they would see her as rather than listen to how he described her that was on her.

But she was right. They needed to get going. So he followed her out into the tavern.

He was far too use to playing the dumb sellsword around guards. All confidence with no sense of class or grace in him. He just wrapped an arm around her and held her close to him like some kind of prized toy. An action that served to enhance the illusion that she was just one of the girls working in the bar who spent the night with a handsome guy (likely for pay) and to obstruct the guard's view of her pretty face. Some of them might have a description of what she looked like beyond her hair color and him being in their way of seeing her beauty would hopefully keep them from suspecting anything.

One of the guards bought into the facade so much he made a far too colorful comment about her ass that was followed up immediately with a question about how she was in bed. Acteon took a mental note of the man as he smirked and winked to him.

"Never forget it. She took it all and kept asking for more! Doubt anyone got any sleep from all our noise!"

The guard bellowed out a laugh, which promptly got him into trouble by the one in charge of the guards.

Acteon leaned down by Valerie's ear and whispered to her, "If you do not want that man to die you better stop me because next time I see him I will kill him." A bit of a growling grunt escaped him filled with ire. "Looking at you like that and having the gall to comment about it after."

She might notice the protective way he had drawn her closer to him and was using his body to physically block any of the guards from looking at her again. An action both selfish and selfless at once in motivation.

Valerie areis Lenaeris