Fate - First Reply A bit of light reading

A 1x1 Roleplay where the first writer to respond can join
Character Biography
Link
Yrael liked libraries. When he was not training or on a mission, he could often be found reading. His interests were singularly focused, and he usually read tomes on magic theory, military tactics, and combat styles. Every action needed purpose, after all, and what greater purpose was there than personal growth? He had amassed a sizeable personal collection over the years, but he still sometimes chose to visit the ancient archives in the Royal Palace. It was quiet, and the tall ceilings kept him from feeling constricted.

Unfortunately, for all of the great knowledge in the archives, all the military history and conquest of Vel Anir, they were still second place in terms of magical knowledge.

If one wanted to find the true secrets of the arcane, to reach the very farthest shores of mortal knowledge and wade into the dark unknown, there was only one place to go.

Elbion.

Yrael was dressed plainly. The peace between Elbion and Vel Anir had grown ever more tense over the years, and it would not be prudent for a Dreadlord of the Royal House to walk openly into the College and demand access to their knowledge. Instead he took the guise of a traveler. Fine but simple clothing, no weaponry, with a simple leather bag for necessities.

Finding the college had not been difficult, and the campus was beautiful, even if Yrael found the design to be somewhat extravagant. Vel Anir emphasized function, and its architecture was imposing if not terribly interesting.

Students were abundant, a testament to the College’s resiliency. It was his understanding that they had endured a significant attack recently, and they seemed to have already rebuilt. Still, he was not surprised that they had been targeted, the defenses appeared lacking. Nothing was as it seemed here, he reminded himself. Who knew what invisible guards the wizards of this place had erected?

He moved into the main hall, following a group of young men and women in blue robes carrying heavy books and parchment. By following them it did not take long to locate one of the libraries. He stepped inside.

The shelves were immense, and while this was surely not even a fraction of the books held by the school it was overwhelming. He would need some guidance. He could ask a librarian or perhaps a teacher, but they would be more likely to ask questions. Perhaps a student could help him… so long as they actually knew where to find what he was looking for.

His violet eyes scanned the room. Who to approach?

He'd perhaps spot the scholar seated at a table alone, five books on the table, three of them open and on either side of him. An ink jar and quill sat on the table by one of the books. Two maps were also spread out on the table, corners held down by small pebbles. The scholar, Adius, glanced fervently back and forth between two of the books and one of the maps, before taking the quill and writing speedily in one of the books. Two students approached the man, one of them speaking.

"Apologies for the interruption, Maester Adius, but I just wished to thank you for your help on my research assignment."

Adius looked up and smiled sincerely. "It was my pleasure, boy, I am glad to see that there are future Maesters interested in the pursuit of things past."

The student nods. "Yes, I am. I greatly enjoyed your lecture as well. I am amazed at all the places you have been. Not to mention the fact you've seen dragons."

Adius chuckles. "Yes, that is always a detail that interests the students." The students nod and chucke politely with Adius, before going on their way, leaving Adius to resume his writing.

• Cheer
Reactions: Yrael
There. Yrael saw Adius at his table, surrounded by books and maps. He was older, which meant he was more likely a teacher than a student. However, he spoke warmly to the students. Perhaps he would be equally receptive to Yrael's request for assistance.

He must be careful. Social interaction was never one of Yrael's talents. He had trouble grasping exactly what conversation was for if not to achieve a specific purpose, but he had learned through experience that most people did not respond well to blunt questions and demands.

He approached slowly, attempting to maintain a casual air. So far no one had questioned him, but he didn't want to give them reason. "Excuse me," he said quietly. "I too seek knowledge of the past, and it sounds like you are the one to ask for help." He sat on the opposite side of the table, looking over the maps to the old scholar.

Adius looked up with a smile. "Yes, of course, I certainly am." He sets down his quill, looking at the man closely. He could have been a student by his age, but the clothing he wore and his muscular appearance gave him away.

Adius didn't quite know who this traveler was, but he was always open to help people learn. He scratched at his beard, glancing at the book he was writing in. "Please, ask any questions you have. I will answer as best I can. I am Adius Alvawyn, Maester of the Fourth Order." He awaits the reply of the other man eagerly.

Yrael was relieved at the man's friendliness. Elbion had always been described as a guarded place, where old sorcerers hoarded knowledge away from the rest of the world, where only their students were permitted access to the secrets they held. He suspected that for the more powerful magical arts this was probably true, but the ease with which he had entered the campus and the openness of Maester Alvawyn spoke a different truth. One of comradery and free exchange of knowledge.

"Thank you," Yrael replied, dipping his head. He glanced at the maps that the man had open before him, the books he had chosen to review. He couldn't make heads or tails of any of it.

"I was wondering... if you knew the works of Xeres Thal'addas."

Xeres was an ancient elven warlock, and Yrael had only managed to find a handful of references to his works in even the oldest tomes of Vel Anir. The notes referred to him as a magi of great power, but one with deviant and dangerous ideas. It is likely that he worked on many theorems in his time, but only one appeared to have survived through the ages.

Thal'addas' Theorum, it stated that magic was not a force that grew from within the individual. Rather, it was an integral part of the universe, existing long before and long after life itself. He suggested that magic users did not generate this energy, they merely focused it, honed it through themselves as a lens focuses light.

Yrael did not know if he believed that, but he had hit a block in his training. In his endless path for power, Xeres Thal'addas seemed to present an alternate route. If anywhere had a more complete reference of his work, or dare he say an original copy, Elbion would be the place.

Adius' face immediately went stony and tense at the mention of the name. While he was not a patron of magic himself, and in fact was generally quite incompetent in regards to it due to an unknown physical barrier, he knew enough about magic and the theories around it to know the name. It was certainly not something someone random desiring to learn would ask about. This man had a hidden goal, an end game. You didn't read the name Xeres Thal'addas off a book you found in a shop. That name was given to you by someone who studied magic.

"That's a dangerous name to be saying, boy." He warned cautiously, leaning close and whispering, jabbing a finger at the man. "We've kicked visitors out for asking about less dangerous things. If you want me to tell you anything, you're going to tell me why you want to know about that and where you first heard it. If I even think you're lying to me, I'll have you kicked out of here and monitored for the duration of your Elbion visit."

He leaned back and awaited the answer of the man. His hands under the table, where they gripped a sheathed dagger on his hip, ready to draw it at a moments notice. This man was either an independent practitioner of magic, a knowledge seeker from an enemy of Elbion, or a complete bumbling fool who overheard the wrong thing at the wrong time. All three of those things were dangerous things to be with knowledge of Xeres Thal'addas. He knew exactly what this man would be interested in hearing, but he was not, so far, interested in sharing.

• Yay
Reactions: Yrael
Yrael kept his tone quiet and even, he did not wish to cause any further alarm. ”I understand that Thal’addas’ work is considered dangerous by some,” he replied. ”But I assure you that I have no desires to harm you or this institution.” This was true. There had certainly been talk of conflict with Elbion amongst the military councils of Vel Anir. The College’s strength warranted monitoring, and Yrael himself did wish to see his city’s influence grow. He was sworn to the royal family, after all. Even so, he did not see a reason why Elbion should be subjugated by force so long as they did not instigate. At least… not any time in the near future. An alliance would be a far more beneficial arrangement, and much simpler.

Adius’ eyes bore through him. He could not lie, he decided, he had already made himself suspicious enough. ”I am not a student of Elbion, but I am a learner of magic,” he began. ”I have trained for many long years and have become very proficient in my own discipline. However, I feel as though my education has been… one-sided. I believe a more foundational knowledge of magic itself would be beneficial. It is well known that Elbion takes a more holistic approach to such things.”

He folded his hands in front of him. ”I wish only to use Thal’addas’ thoughts as a compliment to my regular learning, not as a base. I have read copies of his most basic philosophies. Half of them are an old man talking to himself, but there are some unique perspectives that I believe could be beneficial.”

He lifted his peculiar violet eyes to meet Adius’ soothing brown ones. ”I will understand if you do not wish to help me, but I would prefer to gain this knowledge in the company of an expert.”

"The only kind of people whose magic Thal'addas helps is war mages. Who do you fight for?" He asks, peering closely at the man. "I do not trust you. I feel you are an outsider who should be within." He shakes his head, crossing his arms. "I will tell you so long as you tell me exactly who you fight for and why."

He scratches his beard. "We have the man's final book here. A more completed study and a summary of all he knew. 554 pages. It's kept under lock and key, with only Maesters of the Fifth Order being able to access it. I have seen it once while a Maester borrowed it, a guard accompanied him wherever it went."

He did not want this man to get the book. He was making it very clear how impossible it was to get the book. Nobody outside Elbion would use the contents of the book for good. It was like a man asking for a blacksmith to sharpen his sword while telling him he was a pacifist. You don't develop your personal weaponry, be it magic or blade, without the intention of using it.

Yrael nodded slowly, just the barest hint of a smile on his lips. The praises of Elbion and it’s people were accurate. Adius was clever, and he saw right through the young dreadlord’s flimsy facade. Unfortunately, the accusations of guarding secrets and withholding knowledge they deemed a threat also appeared to be true.

”I am a dreadlord of Vel Anir. Second level, sworn to the Royal House Anireth. My name is Yrael.” Complete transparency it was. It came as a relief, actually. Yrael did so dislike overly complicating things. ”Although I am not here in any official capacity. My masters don’t even know of my visit.” It was an unfortunate truth that the royal house had been without any real power for ages, and while the masses were not privy to this, the Seven Houses ran the city and its dominion from the shadows.

Luckily, this meant that Yrael could largely do as he pleased.

”You are correct, of course. By the very definition of my title, I am a war mage, and I have proven myself capable.” He gestured to the maps on the table. “I do not know these lands, but already I can tell you the most strategic places to build a base, to stage an invasion or to defend against one.”

He retracted his hands, sitting quietly for a moment. "I do not need the book to become powerful. I have already achieved that. I would, however, like to have a better understanding of that power. We are well trained, Maester, but we are taught to be weapons. A sword does not need to understand its forging, it only needs to be sharp." His eyes met Adius' again. "I would like to understand."

It was a difficult situation. Had Yrael been in Adius' position he would have held many of the same reservations. The scholar had no reason to trust him, even less reason to assist.