Private Tales 3 Wild Nights and a Murder in Tow

A private roleplay only for those invited by the first writer

Sannoru

:eyes:
Character Biography
Link
There were plently of Jarldoms dotted throughout eastern Eretejva, and none were truly at peace with eachother. Alliances that exsisted were teethered loosely under lesser kings, some of whom ruled only long enough to see their kingdoms fall to ruin. Of course; the goal of many was to unify these scattered jarldoms, but to be king.., every Jarl wanted to be, and therein lay the issue.

-Long past sundown, Early winter
The Jarldom of Bjallsky. Kolbrandrheim, The King's longhouse.

It would have been deathly quiet if it were not for the flickering of two braziers and the waning central firepit. The elaborately carved pillars which supported an open second floor were painted half red by light and half coated in pitch blackness.

At the end of an otherwise furnitureless hall, the throne of wood coated in white bear furs proudly lay illuminated by a brazier on each side.
Upon it sat Koldrandr Valdemarsson.
Dressed in long red robes and snow white furs. His hair...long, blonde and wavy. He was imposing and heftly over two meters tall, overshadowing most that lived in the far west.
Softly he scratched his beard as he leaned forward, the creaking of the wood cut through the silence to announce the piercing glare he aimed upon the two in front of him.
No one else was in the hall. Just him and the two.

"Four thousand gold talons for the head of Jarl Randviðr Ónarrson, that's my offer."

The kneeling figure smirked. "You're paying half upfront."

• Yay
Reactions: Elise Virak
Blood needed to be spilled.

It was a fact that had come to her not long after Father had granted her the title of Baroness. The title was not rare in Vel Anir, there were plenty of women who stood as high or higher, but few had the designs she did. Most were well content with their place, more than happy to be rich and lounge around.

She was not.

Elise wanted more from this world. She wanted more than a manor, she wanted more than a sparse few scraps of land. She wanted a city, all of it.

It was this desire that drove her, this desire that had sent her to the shores of this accursed place. Draped in a great fur coat and surrounded by three of her Dreadlord's and some of House Virak's Guard, Elise watched as the village slowly came into view just ahead of her. Golden eyes surveyed the harbor, her lips thinning.

"Lets make this quick." She commented dryly to Iella standing besides her. "I do not want to be here longer than a week."

She wanted Vel Anir in her grasp, and to get it she would do nearly anything.

Even bring these barbarians to her shores.

• Yay
Reactions: Sannoru
The norse shook his head slowly as he leaned back, »If even, only quarter.«

Sannoru sneered lightly before composing himself and raising their body. »Any less than half upfront is not worth meddling with noble affairs.«

Sellswords were greedy indeed in the eyes of the norseman king, but their loyalty was easy to buy and they executed their duty efficiently. »That is the half...Only two thousand gold talons are alloted for you. There is another I will task to go ater the Ónarrson...«

• Yay
There was a displeasure being in the north that she could not quite express to anyone around her. Vel Anir got cold of course, even snow, but the air always seemed more...full. Here it was broken, shattered, cold. Not something that she was used to.

Tugging the cloak tighter she shifted slightly.

"We have a contact here." She commented dryly, her gaze sweeping as she turned on her heel and glanced down the length of the ship. They were coming in to dock now, moving into place within the comparatively small village.

Sell swords, mercenaries.

That was what she needed from these people.

"Find them." She motioned. "And get in touch with the local nobles."

• Yay
Torches would illuminate the way to the longhouse that lay only slightly elevated from the other structures, it was the grandest building in this region, with its walls carved in intricate emblems of animals and soldiers.

While most of Kolbrandrheim was quiet at these time, there were guards stationed here. Norsemen, Eretejvans, Dark elves and Snow elves. Some smoking by stairways to homes, others doing patrols, but they seemed to stick with thier own for the most part. Few rose their brows at the new arrival and her entourage, but not much attention was given to them, for many strangers passed these lands peacefully.

At the longhouse stood two norse guards, they would have been informed about the arrival of this strange guest.
-

Sannoru leaned back. »What is your personal motive against Randviðr Ónarrson...That is the second term.«

»You are quite... curious for an assassin.«
»It is a term for my services, everyone is subject to it, « Sannoru replied dryly. It was eassy to blame assassins as rouge acts and dispose of them after, from both the targets and the contractors, so having leverage to blackmail was but a means of preventing such.

Kolbrandr slouched into his seat, his gaze shifting up to the second floor. This place was deathly quiet.
»Wery well then...«

• Yay
A longhouse.

These people were ridiculous, utterly so. It was just a big house. They called this a manor? This was where their leader lived? Elise couldn't quite believe that any person would actually inhabit such a place. Hell, her ship was bigger than this thing. Something she was quietly proud of.

Lips thinned as she stalked forward in the cold, her cloak pulling tighter as the three Deadlord's surrounded her. She had left most of her troops behind on the ship, not wanting to appear like an invasion force.

Especially not here.

As they reached the Longhouse Doors the Guards stared at her, almost expectantly. Elise said nothing of course, centered in her little retinue. Instead one of the Dreadlord's spoke. His voice was quiet, terse, but got the point across.

Within just a moment one of the guards disappeared inside.

• Yay
Inside the longhouse, the cold air drifted within, carrying stray particles of snow that melted almost instantaneously.

Koldrandr Valdemarsson rose his head and leaned to the side, resting his elbow on the throne and his cheek on the palm.
Sannoru remained in place, only looking back with the corner of his left eye and a lowerd head.

• Yay
Elise stepped into the longhouse with as blank of an expression as she could manage. She would have sneered, perhaps even scowled, but she did not want to insult these people.

For once.

The three Dreadlord's that she'd brought surrounded her, two to her side and one standing almost directly behind her. Compared to the two men, and even the other woman, she was a small thing. Some might have thought her weak, needing of these guards, but of course she was the strongest of the four.

"I need soldiers." Elise had never been one to waste time.

She wanted this deal done quickly.

"An army." She gazed towards the figure in the dark. "Large enough to raid."

Towards Kolbrandr the dark elf turned his head. Slowly and without much visible interest he gazed upon the cold floor, yet his attention was set upon the new arrivals.

As the cold wind drifted past the firepit, finally extinguishing it. The king; he slowly rose and slammed his staff upon the floor. Without much furniture the impact sounded mesmerizing as it traveled across the empty hall.
»You have quite the nerve to talk so boldly in front of a son of Valdemar,« his voice was soft, yet firm, laced with toxic undertones. He walked past the dark elf and moved slowly...almost gliding with sweeping strides towards the centre of the hall.
Perhaps he was slightly intrigued, the elf was a serpent in a sleeve, but this woman here radiated her presence like a sun.
How voice started off gentle before taking on a more forceful tone.
»So soldiers is the price you want... Hmm hm hm.... I have many eligible raiders-but I would not part even with half a hersir's command while...-« »-While Randviðr Ónarrson still lives... - « Sannoru's voice cut through. His head tilted at all those who stood behind him. His lucid teal pupils now only illuminated by the ambient light of the outside. »... - It was said that you two were friends, ...«

• Yay
She blinked at the man that spoke, though her expression was as flat as a rock in the middle of the sea. She tried to hide her displeasure at all of this talk of internal politics, but it grew difficult the more she had to hear them speak.

Elise didn't care about these people, didn't care about these savage lands. To her they were all fools and morons, folk who were undeserving of even life itself. They were tools to be used, that was how she saw them, that was really the only way that she could see them.

"So kill him." She said as though it would be the simplest thing in the world.

The affairs of others were no concern to her.

"Send an assassin." A common enough practice in Vel Anir. "Or an army."

He clearly had one.

• Yay
Kolbrandr sneered only briefly at the mention of friendship from the Elf.

»If- it were so simple...Such an act can only be discrete.« The king slowly shook his head.

»I have yet to find a second assassin...If you prove useful to my cause, I may just have a warband of soldiers to offer.«

• Yay
Elise bristled slightly.

An assassin? Is that what she appeared to these people? Disgust flickered across her face for a few moments before she pulled her composure back into place.

She had to remember how these simpletons lived. "I can kill him."

The statement was simplistic, and truthful enough. She foresaw no issue with killing this man, not with the forces she had. Plus it would give her a chance to...test her new abilities. She'd not gotten the chance since father had given her the seal, and in theory her strength would be higher now.

At least in theory.

• Yay
»That's the spirit,« Kolbrandr murmured as his brows furrowed. He only offered her his back as he walked down the hallway. His footsteps echoing in a deafening manner throughout the room.

A pampered girl, if it's something San despised more than anything, it was nobles.
»You were saying,« Sannoru spoke with a voice that was growing impatient.

The lesser king sat down onto his throne and sighed deeply.
»It is true that I was once friends with Randviðr. I assume you are well aware of his upcoming marriage to Vor Ingvarrsdottir,« the king clenched his fist. To Sanno it was apparent that Vor was Kolbrandr's lover, why else would a married man care about a random woman. And these Norsemen were known to be of free taste.
»He is a well-liked man, marrying soon he will be quick to secure his bloodline, and I am safe to assume that the recent attempt to kill my children was of his doing. The other jarls may sway his way if something...came up.«

»The wedding celebration is taking place in Ivarsby, all noble born invited, I assume you two will have an easy way figuring out how to get in...Be discrete, I do not want the death to be pinned on me, for the sake of the stability of this land.«
»And... Leave your men here, I'll arrange to board for them until you return. There should be no trace of you two coming from here after all.« he spoke first to Valeera before gazing at both. Obviously bringing an army will be suspicious, and an entourage too big would easily trace them to the rest of the warriors left here.

»L- Leave Vor unharmed, - I have to grudge against her.«

• Yay
She considered the words for a moment, attempting her best not to cut the man down or snap her finger and make his head explode in an instant.

The idea was more than a little tempting, though she knew that doing so would only stop her plans before they could ever really get anywhere. Somehow...somehow she managed to control herself, keeping her face entirely and completely impassive as the man continued to speak.

The Dreadlord's besides her bristled very obviously as they suggested being left behind, faces somehow growing even more stoney.

Elise signaled them with a quick snap of her fingers.

It was quiet enough that the other two men would not notice, but the Three Dreadlord's froze entirely and did not even blink a single eye. Her teeth ground together, lips thinning. "When I return you give me an army."

She stated plainly.

It was her only cost.

• Yay
»A Hersir's command upon your return. Now leave. I want Randviðr dead before his wedding day,« Kolbrandr waved his hand, signalling everyone to leave.

Sannoru stood up, taking out of the short tale enough to fit in appropriate blackmail if any assassins were sent on him too keep quiet about the murders.
Slowly walking past the gate, he approached Elise, but did not come close enough. She was quite taller than the dark elf, but not my too much, everyone else here, the Norsemen; man woman and child were taller than life and built like small oaks. But this elf was of a kind very rarely seen, if even classified as your standard fey folk from the west. Skin cerulean in hue, and hair dark and well tended to, while the eyes looked calming yet green like the most vile of poisons.

»Sannoru of the Valley of the Sweet Peas,« bowed the elf deeply as it was customary in his culture. »We better get moving.«
At best. the sellsword expected an agreement, at worst, a snap, but this time aimed at him.

• Yay
Again Elise briefly considered killing the man, weighing whether or not she could convince the other warriors he controlled to follow her afterward. A moment passed, and then she decided it would be best to simply take care of this other man. If things didn't work out how she wanted?

Well then she would kill them all. "Lady Livia."

Elise bit the introduction quickly, though did not return the favor of a bow or even offered a handshake. Her hand quickly flashed in a series of symbols. The Dreadlord's stiffened once more, and then frowned almost in unison. After a moment the lead one let out a huff, then quickly stalked away.

"Lead the way." She commanded, her tone cold.

There was little else she could do at this point.

• Yay
Fiar enough, 'Livia'. Sannoru expected not an uppity noble to bow, nor was it custom to.

The dark elf rose from their bow and observed the hand signalling the lady made, eventually figuring to not pay attention to them. She was a foreigner afterall and he only needed to pay attention when other elves spoke in sign language.

»Ivarsby is a day's worth of walking away. We're not going to walk.«
San then exited the hall and began walking to the stables where horses were set aside by Kolbrandr for the trip.
All of the horses in this region were massive and of a palomino colour with a black and white mane. If they were propperly groomed they might've looked more impressive than anything in the west. But these where shaggy, buff and very warm.

»We are ready to depart,« Sannoru whispered to the trusted stablehand who've been told about the plan beforehand.
He saddled up the horses and redied them for the two.

• Yay
Elise sneered at the beast.

Unfortunately she'd not had the foresight to bring her own horse, mostly because she had not expected to actually need one. Never had she thought she would need to...complete a quest to get what she wanted.

Usually money was enough to sway most everyone. Failing that, gold. "Very well."

Her words were still curt, terse.

It was obvious that Elise was no conversationalist, that or she thought herself above Sannoru and he was simply not worth having a conversation with. Likely the latter in truth.

Sannoru would mount the shaggy steed, barely able to reach its belly. »Fyá!« The horse would go from stand to trot to a brisky canter. Occasionally he made a few turns before aligning the horse onto a path that would lead to Ivarsby.

After a good while, Sannoru spoke out to Livia. »You're some kind of noble,« he said dryly. »You might just fit in fine at the celebration... are those the best of your clothes?«
San threw some glances at Livia. She'll have an easy enough time to convince people to be apart. But he himself... hmm.

• Yay
"No." She stated flatly.

A part of her wondered if she would even need this man alive to complete this whole journey. She supposed she would, but only as a guide. Once it came to the killing...well, Elise supposed he would be tested then.

"Tell me." She began quietly, not entirely sure she actually wanted to hold this conversation. "The death of this man, why is it important?"

She had not been there for the explanation.

Yet there was advantage in knowledge, something her father had taught her.

• Yay
»This region of land is not stable. To the west, north and east lie countless of other jarldoms loosely tied in...four kingdoms.«

»As far as I've been able to follow there have been great shifts of power recently and we're currently stationed in the very frail, yet most powerful kingdom of Bjallsky,« Sannoru stressed 'very frail'.
»The Kingdom of Hvarfheim is growing stronger and might wage war on Bjallsky the moment its rulership falters.«

Eventually, he stated bluntly: »Randviðr Ónarrson is more popular than Kolbrandr. It would not be hard for him to assemble a coup against the king, weather it succeeds or fails...Hvarfholt will assimilate them. That's why we're killing him. The bit of his children? Just lies to garner sympathy.«

• Yay
She wondered for a moment how simple it would be to conquer the north.

Vel Anir had been in a constant state of war for as long as anyone could remember. Even now in a time of 'peace' there were always border skirmishes with the nomads of the east. All that fighting had filed down the Anirian Guard to one of the grandest armies in the world.

The northmen were tough, but if things were really this fractured and broken here...a single army might be enough to bring them all to their knees.

She mused for a second on the thought, then dismissed it. Too cold up here. "I see."

Elise answered finally.

"He will conquer all the kingdoms in the end, no?" It was what she would do.

»Somebody...eventually will skew the balance and there will either be ruin or a grand kingdom,« Sannoru guessed that right now they are keeping Bjallsky's integrity in tact. Ivarsby's jarl will likely be replaced by Kolbrandr's eldest son, and so on and on with all the other jarldoms.

»I suggest we stop by at Holby just outside Ivarsby to ready ourselves before they begin to take in guests.«

• Yay
She nodded, though did not speak this time.

Instead she began to muse on the conquest she could stage here.

The idea had already been rejected as something she could truly ever do, but...it was an interesting thought. Conquest was something she'd always enjoyed, the idea...the practice. Victory over those below you, even those above you was sweeter than any honey.

"What will the guards be like?" She asked as they rode forward, her mind still spinning.

• Yay
»They're built like oaks and clad head to toe in armour no matter what end of the kingdom you're in. My best guess is that they will be everywhere at the hall.«

Sannoru would continue to ride onward, but throw a glance at the noble here and there.
She seemed to not like this place, or the inhabitants for the matter, that nuch her body told him. But the request for soldiers was beyond him.

»Are you amassing an army?«

• Yay